• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Morgus

Quote from: Wintermute on November 04, 2013, 01:06:31 PM
Not one other radio show host has complained about SiriusXM's app.
Apparently Art reported that his show during the live broadcast has a much higher internet load than any other Sirius show.
Perhaps other shows are mostly listened to via car sirius radios, not as much with internet streaming like is the predominant case with Art's show.

jazmunda

Streaming the show for free on artbell.com might stop the illegal live streams but increase the amount of torrents of past shows thereby making the onDemand feature of Sirius not as essential. The only thing that a Sirius subscription for someone who just wants Art is the live pause/rewind function.

Marc.Knight

If SiriusXM runs an old repeat of Howard Stern tonight instead of Art we'll know their answer.

jazmunda

Also if Sirius do grant Art's request then it will prove their Love for Art and Dark Matter and wil be a very good indication of just how many people and in turn dollars Art has generated for them. If this happens I think Art could ask for all the execs first borns and perform some live ritual on air. ;)

Go Art. I hope you win this round. The power of the bulging Bell curve.

bateman

Quote from: Philosopher on November 04, 2013, 02:11:06 PM
If SiriusXM runs an old repeat of Howard Stern Jay Thomas tonight instead of Art we'll know their answer.

God help us.

Go back and listen to Art's first shows. He was aware of the fact that his international audience couldn't hear him without jumping through hoops over addresses for subscriptions. He seemed to be surprised the night Jaz called in the Skype line all the way from Australia. I think that got him thinking about the possibilities of a free live stream from his site in conjunction with SiriusXM. Nothing is ever free, but the increased audience on Art's site will drive revenue from advertisements which he will share with SiriusXM. They're not losing anything: the youtube versions are out there and they're generating nothing in the way of revenue. Private streams are out there and they don't generate revenue. Art knows this. He's not changing any rules, and I don't think he's threatening to leave. I think he's trying to do something really innovative and address the large potential audience he has. If SiriusXM doesn't like the plan, well the no viable forward, as El Kragen said, is that overseas audiences are pretty much left out.

If this is a live stream, it's a one time only deal each night. Sirius still gets subscriptions from plenty of other sources, including people who want to listen On Demand which is the new marketing model in iTunes, cable tv and everywhere else. Sheesh, I don't know why this is even such a big deal. He's talking a new business venture/model, that's all, and he's had plenty of complaints from potential listeners plus time to come up with a solution like his Skype for overseas calls.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 04, 2013, 02:23:14 PM
Go back and listen to Art's first shows. He was aware of the fact that his international audience couldn't hear him without jumping through hoops over addresses for subscriptions. He seemed to be surprised the night Jaz called in the Skype line all the way from Australia. I think that got him thinking about the possibilities of a free live stream from his site in conjunction with SiriusXM. Nothing is ever free, but the increased audience on Art's site will drive revenue from advertisements which he will share with SiriusXM. They're not losing anything: the youtube versions are out there and they're generating nothing in the way of revenue. Private streams are out there and they don't generate revenue. Art knows this. He's not changing any rules, and I don't think he's threatening to leave. I think he's trying to do something really innovative and address the large potential audience he has. If SiriusXM doesn't like the plan, well the no viable forward, as El Kragen said, is that overseas audiences are pretty much left out.

If this is a live stream, it's a one time only deal each night. Sirius still gets subscriptions from plenty of other sources, including people who want to listen On Demand which is the new marketing model in iTunes, cable tv and everywhere else. Sheesh, I don't know why this is even such a big deal. He's talking a new business venture/model, that's all, and he's had plenty of complaints from potential listeners plus time to come up with a solution like his Skype for overseas calls.

The big deal is that the new business venture/model he is asking for is diametrically opposed to the business model of the company that he is working for.

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 04, 2013, 02:43:46 PM
The big deal is that the new business venture/model he is asking for is diametrically opposed to the business model of the company that he is working for.

In your opinion. Opie and Anthony have simulcast previously over CBS, so there is precedent.

If it makes money, businesses listen.

jblank

Quote from: Wintermute on November 04, 2013, 12:18:23 PM
All Art is doing is posing a question. I am sure he is well aware of all the "Warez" going on. (Warez = illegal copyrighted content distro)

I don't think his request is crazy. There are a few other shows that do the same outside of ClearChannel.

Would I drop SiriusXM if he streamed live for four hours? Not sure. It is tempting and I would probably let my subscription lapse to see if I could get a deal (what I did last time). But... who knows.

I already re-broadcast his show on my 10watt pirate FM station here. ???

Negotiating in front of your audience isn't the best way to get on your bosses good side, especially when you haven't even worked for them for 60 days yet.

Just sayin'.  :)

bateman

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 04, 2013, 02:46:30 PM
In your opinion. Opie and Anthony have simulcast previously over CBS, so there is precedent.

It was a logistical nightmare & both companies hated sharing content with the other. It will not happen again.

Quote from: Morgus on November 04, 2013, 01:28:22 PM
Apparently Art reported that his show during the live broadcast has a much higher internet load than any other Sirius show.
Perhaps other shows are mostly listened to via car sirius radios, not as much with internet streaming like is the predominant case with Art's show.

That's another good point. Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony and a lot of the heavy hitters are drive time shows. Art is on at the earliest at 7PM after rush hour and at 10 in the east which lends itself to internet streaming. And that's not even counting international listeners. I have a feeling Art has the numbers and that's what he's presenting to SiriusXM. I also have the feeling this is a done deal.

Quote from: bateman on November 04, 2013, 02:59:52 PM
It was a logistical nightmare & both companies hated sharing content with the other. It will not happen again.

True, and that was because of the content of the show that had to be edited for CBS, but that's also not a factor in streaming live over the internet, as it doesn't entail terrestrial radio with their FCC regulations. My point was that there was a precedent for simulcast, not about the platform in which it was done.

bateman

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 04, 2013, 03:01:59 PM
True, and that was because of the content of the show that had to be edited for CBS, but that's also not a factor in streaming live over the internet, as it doesn't entail terrestrial radio with their FCC regulations. My point was that there was a precedent for simulcast, not about the platform in which it was done.

Oh, true. I'd be surprised if they go for this, but hopefully we'll find out tonight.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 04, 2013, 02:46:30 PM

Agreed. And this won't make a cent for SiriusXM. So they likely won't listen.

Catsmile

FFS people.  :(

Let's just all wait and see what Art has to say tonight.

Art_s Farts

Schedule updated on homepage of artbell.com. Guests are no longer listed

[attachimg=2]

Quote from: Catsmile on November 04, 2013, 03:46:47 PM

It's Bellgab. We discuss things to death. It's in our nature.  ;D

Who is this crazy wonderful Art Bell character that has all of you buzzing so much?

I tell ya, I gotta meet this guy.

Catsmile

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 04, 2013, 03:52:47 PM
It's Bellgab. We discuss things to death. It's in our nature.  ;D

More power to y'all, god bless.  :-*

Oh, I heard that Art is quitting Dark Matter!  ::) 

nomobjustice

Quote from: Catsmile on November 04, 2013, 03:46:47 PM

Assuming Doogie is a method actor, I wonder what sense memory he used when inserting them digits into his pie hole.  ::)

Catsmile

Quote from: nomobjustice on November 04, 2013, 03:58:41 PM
Assuming Doogie is a method actor, I wonder what sense memory he used when inserting them digits into his pie hole.  ::)

To play out the assumtion a little more... I bet all the ladies* would love to know who shot him the mouth leaving his mind blown and dazed.

(* Using the term ladies loosely. Don't wanna sand and salt the butt butter of the gay police. )

jazmunda

It's not the first shot in the mouth he's taken. *boom tish*

jazmunda

The sky might be falling after all. The weekly guest schedule has changed again and now nothing is listed.

Hmmmmm.

Edit: Apologies to Art's Fart up thread who broke this story first. ;)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: jazmunda on November 04, 2013, 04:22:53 PM
The sky might be falling after all. The weekly guest schedule has changed again and now nothing is listed.

Hmmmmm.

I told you so.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5069.msg182570#msg182570

dan7800

Agreed, why wouldn't he do this behind closed doors.

I have a feeling Art is reading these threads.

indigoo

Quote from: jazmunda on November 04, 2013, 04:22:53 PM

Hmmmmm.

Classic Art Bell...

Catsmile

Quote from: indigoo on November 04, 2013, 04:32:21 PM
Classic Art Bell...
Yep
EDIT: Seems it may be the end of Dark Matter after all. The sky has...

DesertFox

Quote from: Philosopher on November 04, 2013, 04:31:20 PM

I told you so.

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=5069.msg182570#msg182570

Is this Art just setting up his excuse to quit--some elaborate ruse...changing the guest listing to make it seem he was going to do a show BUT bad old Sirius turned me down--but really he knew the answer already and was never planning to do the show. 

Who knows with Art?  If he ends up quitting--it's all on him.  Hopefully this if just paranoia about him quitting!

Grov505th

Well it was fun while it lasted.......Per Arts Facebook Page:" Sometimes when you are "All in" you win, sometimes lose. By Mutual agreement Dark Matter will no longer air as of tonight"

butterbat

From Art's Facebook

"Sometimes when you are "all in" you win, sometimes lose. By mutual agreement Dark Matter will no longer air as of tonight."