• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Howard Hughes - The Unexplained

Started by PseudoSentience, July 05, 2012, 07:56:02 PM

Ciardelo

Thanks Gledders. I just listened to it, a nice interview and I liked all your questions!

Gledders

Well I think the interview went ok, obviously I am going to be overly self-critical but it's my first proper radio interview and Howard was an absolute gent. I asked as many questions from the forums as I could get away with, so I hope they answer some of your questions.

Dropbox Link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16629465/HCRfm%20-%2026%3A12%3A15%20-%20Howard%20Hughes%20Interview%20with%20Gledders.mp3

I'll include the links for the full four hours in a separate post.

bellNwhistle

Thanks for the link! 

(Starting to listen now. You have a great voice!)

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 27, 2015, 09:12:27 AM
Thanks for the link! 

(Starting to listen now. You have a great voice!)

Please turn it up, I can't hear it.

Gledders

Yolks yes you are right, the audio for Howard is low. Bear with me and I'll get it corrected and come back to you with a new link.

Best

Gledders

Gledders

Ok have tinkered with the levels a bit, it has added some compression but as Howard was on a phone I think it is the best we will get.

Hope that helps

Gledders

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16629465/HCRfm%20-%2026%3A12%3A15%20-%20Gledders%20Talks%20With%20Howard%20Hughes.mp3

Ciardelo

Quote from: Gledders on December 27, 2015, 11:42:23 AM
Ok have tinkered with the levels a bit, it has added some compression but as Howard was on a phone I think it is the best we will get.

Hope that helps

Gledders

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16629465/HCRfm%20-%2026%3A12%3A15%20-%20Gledders%20Talks%20With%20Howard%20Hughes.mp3
Sounds pretty good. I recorded the whole 4 hours using VLC and it sounds about the same. Do you do specials like this often? I gather this was the first "paranormal" special, but have you done other subjects?

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 27, 2015, 09:21:46 AM
Yes, Howard's voice is a bit low.

LMAO. I meant for BnW to turn up her device because I couldn't hear it.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 27, 2015, 12:55:31 PM
LMAO. I meant for BnW to turn up her device because I couldn't hear it.
;D ;D

Sorry.  :-*

cweb

http://midnightinthedesert.com/time-for-another-update-from-keith/
QuoteHoward Hughes’ The Unexplained decided to go a “different route,” which I don’t know what that is, as his pre-recorded show was simply played here on Mondays, nothing was going to change that. He never was LIVE, so there was no problem with us continuing to carry his show. Howard had been approached months ago, to do a LIVE 5-day a week program to be aired right before Art. Unfortunately, Howard could not make the changes in his life or make adjustments to his broadcast location to make this happen. It was a risk Howard didn’t want to take. It’s too bad, because Howard would have been the one to sit in for Art, had he already been doing a LIVE show here on DMDN.

I know Keith isn't a people person, but this comes off as unprofessional and a tad whiny. Maybe Howard is doing good download numbers and decided that DMDN wasn't worth the hassle. I'm not sure that it was as simple as Howard sending a file for Keith to play- he may have been getting "notes" the whole time.

I can't blame Howard for not wanting to take the risk, especially not knowing his whole situation. He's hinted at life being difficult financially at this time. It's also possible that he's working on something himself.

Danger!UFO

The time zone difference would be a big problem for Howard. I'm sure he wants to keep his daytime jod. Can't blame him. Next to Art he was the best thing on the DMDN. Time for me to start frequenting his website and maybe throwing in $5 a month or so. I usually listen to him on Stitcher which is a really good place to hear podcasts.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Danger!UFO on January 08, 2016, 08:33:49 AM
The time zone difference would be a big problem for Howard. I'm sure he wants to keep his daytime jod. Can't blame him. Next to Art he was the best thing on the DMDN. Time for me to start frequenting his website and maybe throwing in $5 a month or so. I usually listen to him on Stitcher which is a really good place to hear podcasts.

I agree.

Gledders

<sits down to write this one>

I read Keiths update and was a bit shocked at the tone. Obviously as a Brit, our culture is different. But airing the dirty laundry for all to see seems a little poor taste to me.

I'm coming at this from a nice easy standpoint. I love Art, I love Howard and I love Heather.

For Howard to do a live show before Art would mean that he would be on air from 2am to 5am UK time. Then he has a day job. Maybe I am just reading Keiths post in the wrong context but to expect someone to do that and sound great on air is asking a lot.
I have no idea what financial incentives DMDN would or could have offered Howard, but I'm assuming he has a mortgage to pay and he would have needed to know it was guaranteed.

If HH was asked to up sticks and move to the US, then this would have killed his day job dead. Remember it's the BBC and is about as close to guaranteed as you will get in radio.

I don't know Heathers situation, but she is fresh to radio and deserves support. It's very easy for the nay sayers to try and beat her down, but she really is getting better day by day. It's not fair to criticise her for not being Art. Damn, if I was in her position I would have taken it like a shot. She suggested that she has been to Pahrump a fair amount but suspect she is now back home, wherever that is.

All of that said, I really do suspect Art will be back soon. Heather is picking up new affiliates and I bet they have been given some sort of idea what can be expected for the future.

Back to Howard. I think his radio voice is astounding. I got him to do some voiceovers for my own show and am very proud of them. I know he has a keen following across the continent of North America, but would love to hear your opinion of how the average AB listener would feel to hear a Brit voice on US radio every night.

HH has been a huge fan of Art for years and have no doubt that his relationship with Art will remain cordial. Like many broadcasters he looks up to the guy. I would put my house on the guess that HH gave the offer some very strong consideration before saying no, it would have been his dream to do it. But real life is real life. Bills are bills, etc.

Gledders

SteveF

Quote from: bellNwhistle on January 08, 2016, 09:03:03 AM
I agree.

Yep same here.  (First time poster hello everyone).

Just a few things - HH does a fantastic show and has done The Unexplained for a decade now, both on regular radio and also via podcasts.  But he's still a newsman at heart and as Gledder's says, that's his meat and potatoes job, The Unexplained is the bonus we get.

Also, can't understand the RCH hatred.  I've met the guy, been captivated by his work and he's not this demonic entity many seem to think he is.  If you don't believe him, fine.

SteveF

Quote from: Gledders on December 27, 2015, 06:02:16 AM
Well I think the interview went ok, obviously I am going to be overly self-critical but it's my first proper radio interview and Howard was an absolute gent. I asked as many questions from the forums as I could get away with, so I hope they answer some of your questions.

Dropbox Link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16629465/HCRfm%20-%2026%3A12%3A15%20-%20Howard%20Hughes%20Interview%20with%20Gledders.mp3

It was fine mate.

albrecht

Quote from: Danger!UFO on January 08, 2016, 08:33:49 AM
Assuming, BIG ASSUMPTION considering the history of DMDN, he would give up his day job I would think the hours would be easier for someone living in the UK or better Europe to handle than a person living in the US. It would be early morning time for them, especially if maybe they slid the MITD time slot to start at midnight and compete directly live against C2C- so more like a regular job. In any event I wish Howard well, he had/has a good show.

chefist

Howard should keep doing what he is doing with the BBC...unless he is offered to chance to host Coast to Coast full time, he is better off where he is! I really enjoy what he does...

Gledders

You were particularly good Steve :-)

Quote from: Gledders on January 08, 2016, 09:34:08 AM
<snip>

Back to Howard. I think his radio voice is astounding. I got him to do some voiceovers for my own show and am very proud of them. I know he has a keen following across the continent of North America, but would love to hear your opinion of how the average AB listener would feel to hear a Brit voice on US radio every night.
<snip>

It would depend on the Brit voice.   Mr Hughes would be absolutely fine.    Gary Tank Commander - not so much    :P

Gledders

Gary Tank Commander? :-) wracking my brains to work out who that is.

8)

cweb

Quote from: Gledders on January 08, 2016, 09:34:08 AM
I find his voice to have a certain charm and intrigue to it. You don't hear a lot of Brits on the North American paranormal-type shows over here. The most exotic accent Coast to Coast has had is Richard Syrett's Canadian tongue. A good male host in this genre needs a bit of bass in there, which Howard easily accomplishes.

By the way, I enjoyed your chat with Howard. It absolutely flew by. It's unfortunate that his departure from DMDN means he likely won't be on MITD any time soon- even as a guest.

Gledders

@ CWEB I agree, he has a commanding voice. When I was chatting with him on air the other three people in the studio were paying rapt attention. The four of us do radio as a hobby and to hear a pro leaves you speechless almost. I don't do starstruck but credit where credit is due.
Thanks for your kind comments about the interview. The pleasure was all min. Nobody could have been listening and I still would have been over the moon.

I'm a cynic by nature but there is something about radio that makes me an optimist. I don't wish to be disrespectful to Rowland, but he is not Art and Art will call the shots as to who appears.
That said, I don't think Howard would have been a guest in the traditional sense. He is an interviewer, as is Art. It would make a tricky 3 hours as I don't honk Howard would count himself as a subject matter expert on anything other than the media.

But you can always hope. Art will be back. Too many clues out there for it not to be the case. For all we know he could be having secure studios built somewhere lol.

Gledders

Spinner

Quote from: Gledders on December 27, 2015, 06:02:16 AM

Dropbox Link:

Gledders:
Nice interview! I really enjoyed it, and thanks for asking my question. Howard sounds like such a nice guy, and I've have been a fan oh his show since I first heard it. I hope that "The Unexplained" will be around for many years to come.

You did a great job with the interview, and also have a nice voice. I only have one minor quibble: the sound levels of your voice and Howard's were very different. Your voice sounded loud an clear, but Howard's voice was much fainter. A small technical issue that I imagine can easily be corrected in the future. But overall, good questions, and obviously very good rapport.

Gledders

Hi Spinner. Thanks for the kind words. Totally accept what you say about the levels. Very noticeable on playback, didn't seem so bad in the studio. Learning curve. 

Coffeeman

Quote from: Gledders on January 08, 2016, 02:14:54 PM
@ CWEB I agree, he has a commanding voice. When I was chatting with him on air the other three people in the studio were paying rapt attention.

Heh, what is his day job? Narrating audiobooks? I'd think that would be something special, too.

Danger!UFO

Quote from: Coffeeman on January 09, 2016, 08:48:14 AM
Heh, what is his day job? Narrating audiobooks? I'd think that would be something special, too.

The BBC. Radio Berkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03cypjn#play

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Danger!UFO on January 09, 2016, 09:54:32 AM
The BBC. Radio Berkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03cypjn#play

This is nothing do to with Heather, but I would listen to Howard every night. I love his voice, and I think he has what it takes.

henge0stone

I honestly think Hughes is second only to Art Bell at this point. He really should be hosting C2C. DMRN needed him more than he needed it.