• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art, Design, Photography

Started by coaster, June 23, 2012, 08:07:07 PM

ItsOver

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 18, 2013, 09:12:55 PM
A shot of tonight's moon.  Caught a tiny bit of a tree in the shot as well.

Another great shot, HR.  I was outside admiring La Luna earlier tonight.  I live for the Fall.

ItsOver

Here's one I took of a hummer feeding.

[attachimg=1]

shell88

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 18, 2013, 09:12:55 PM
A shot of tonight's moon.  Caught a tiny bit of a tree in the shot as well.

Nice pic

onan

Quote from: shell88 on October 18, 2013, 09:29:07 PM
Nice pic

Yeah, I worked a 14 hour day today... really a rough one. I caught myself saying thank you as I looked at a beautiful full moon.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: ItsOver on October 18, 2013, 09:26:58 PM

[attachimg=1]

That's a great shot!  I've been trying to get a good shot of my hummingbirds, but I keep getting them in silhouette, lacking any detail.  I was able to tickle one on the belly a few weeks ago.  I managed to sneak my hand up to the feeder and touch one for a second.  That was cool. 

Heather Wade

Quote from: ItsOver on October 18, 2013, 09:26:58 PM

[attachimg=1]

So cool.  A hummingbird came up to me while I was having coffee on the porch this morning.
Beautiful photograph.

HorrorRetro

Here's one of the hummingbird silhouette shots I was able to get.  I'm going to keep trying for a detailed shot, although I do really like the simplicity of this one.

Heather Wade

HorrorRetro, that is like some serious Japanese Grand Master perfection photography right there.

I wanna print that and put it up in my new place; in my Chinese Room, where I listen to Art Bell.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Redacted on October 18, 2013, 10:51:06 PM
HorrorRetro, that is like some serious Japanese Grand Master perfection photography right there.

I wanna print that and put it up in my new place; in my Chinese Room, where I listen to Art Bell.

Thanks!  :)

Wish I had a Chinese room!!

HR: Seriously great work man! It looks very Autumn wherever that photo was taken. Are you by chance a fellow Tasty Canadian?

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 19, 2013, 01:48:47 AM
Wish I had a Chinese room!!

HR: Seriously great work man! It looks very Autumn wherever that photo was taken. Are you by chance a fellow Tasty Canadian?

Thanks!  But, I'm a lady lol.  :)  Not a Canadian, but I live very close to Canada. I was born and raised in Alaska, now residing in western Washington State.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 19, 2013, 10:05:18 AM
Thanks!  But, I'm a lady lol.  :) 
Ack! A thousand pardons! My mistake :)

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 19, 2013, 10:05:18 AM
Not a Canadian, but I live very close to Canada. I was born and raised in Alaska, now residing in western Washington State.
Yikes Alaska is serious business. As a native Alaskan what do you think of the place? Would you go back?
I'm generally all done with winter myself.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 19, 2013, 10:19:40 AM
Ack! A thousand pardons! My mistake :)
Yikes Alaska is serious business. As a native Alaskan what do you think of the place? Would you go back?
I'm generally all done with winter myself.

No problem.  :)  I love Alaska.  I was born and raised in Anchorage, but I've also lived up north, within 300 miles of the Arctic Circle.  I'd definitely go with Anchorage over the northern parts. It was common to get up in the a.m. with -50 F temps, but the summers up there are great with just about 24 hours of daylight and temps in the 80s and 90s.  Anchorage is a lot more mild weather wise.  It gets more snow, because it's closer to the ocean, but the temps are not nearly as radical.  I do miss it a lot. But, like you, I don't miss the snow/winter. I'd rather have the winter rains we get here.  I'm not sure I'll ever live there again. If I do, it will be south of Anchorage, probably in Seward, right on the bay.

ItsOver

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 18, 2013, 10:46:43 PM
Here's one of the hummingbird silhouette shots I was able to get.  I'm going to keep trying for a detailed shot, although I do really like the simplicity of this one.

Very nice!  I like the black and white aspect.  For me it says Fall, with Winter not far behind.

I love hummingbirds.  They really intrigue me.  I remember several years back having dinner on a patio, in the foothills of Santa Catalina, to the north of Tucson.  I heard this buzzing noise and suddenly noticed a hummer within several feel of my table, feeding on the flowers.  It was there for several minutes and seemed comfortable with my presence.  It was beautiful to watch.

Here's one I caught, checking me out.

[attachimg=1]

HorrorRetro

Quote from: ItsOver on October 19, 2013, 10:58:42 AM
Very nice!  I like the black and white aspect.  For me it says Fall, with Winter not far behind.

I love hummingbirds.  They really intrigue me.  I remember several years back having dinner on a patio, in the foothills of Santa Catalina, to the north of Tucson.  I heard this buzzing noise and suddenly noticed a hummer within several feel of my table, feeding on the flowers.  It was there for several minutes and seemed comfortable with my presence.  It was beautiful to watch.

Here's one I caught, checking me out.

[attachimg=1]

Love that. 

HorrorRetro

Got a few okay shots today.  Saw this blue heron on a fish ladder near the mouth of the bay. 

I do artsy photography and photomontages.

The depth of talent on this site is just astounding!

If I only had access to this and the music threads, I would be content... :)

steelbot

Here are some of my photos - I don't have my Iraq photos nor my other Japan photos - they're either on another PC or lost forever... :-[

But here's what I do have, the four pics are just some examples of the library.

http://s662.photobucket.com/user/steelahlive/library/

Does this count as art? I played this demo for a company that makes big ole hollowbodies earlier this year.

http://youtu.be/Hq5L8BUtij0

I was sort of dragging behind because the strings were high as a kite and so was I. But hey.

onan

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 21, 2013, 07:50:43 PM
Does this count as art? I played this demo for a company that makes big ole hollowbodies earlier this year.

http://youtu.be/Hq5L8BUtij0

I was sort of dragging behind because the strings were high as a kite and so was I. But hey.

Nice man... do some more...

Sardondi

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 19, 2013, 10:05:18 AMThanks!  But, I'm a lady lol.  :)  Not a Canadian, but I live very close to Canada. I was born and raised in Alaska, now residing in western Washington State.
Born in Alaska! Live near Canada! That sounds like heaven. I live about a 1000 miles south of Canada, and I'm lucky if I get 10 days a year that hit below freezing, and maybe 1-2" of snow in an average year since 2000 or so. I dream about living among the snowdrifts and having to keep a fire going 24 hours a day. I know folks who actually know or live in the states depicted in those kinds of shows tend to hate them, but I love all those Alaska shows like "Life Below Zero" and "Alaska: The Last Frontier". What resilient, self-reliant people. And what wonderful winters! (I know it's probably much different for those who actually have to experience them!)

Quote from: Sardondi on October 21, 2013, 08:11:30 PM
And what wonderful winters!

It hurts my teeth to read that.

I admit, it was a lot of fun when I was a kid. But after you spend a certain amount of time living with it the novelty wears off and you just refer to snow as "that white shit". We had 7 foot banks last year and were running out of places to put it we got so much. Logistically life in the city was getting difficult by the end of it. You can't see around corners anymore because of the huge hills of white shit so just making a turn onto a main street becomes a lesson in mortality. You can't wear shoes anywhere for a few days after the white shit falls and if you do make sure to bring a spare set of socks with you at all times. The temperature with wind dipped below -50 (Celsius or Fahrenheit, makes no difference) a few times, so exposed skin freezes in literally a few minutes, your eyelashes freeze together, you can literally crack your hair off and God help you if you have a beard. Motor oil and other important fluids (so-called "anti-freeze") begin turning into thick sludge at that point so you take good care of any vehicles you may rely on. And make sure you unplug your block heater before you try to drive away. You have to start making bizarre choices like if you go out grocery shopping you're on a time limit if there's no outlet around to plug in your car because your goddamn engine will freeze after a certain period. Schools and non-essential services close because "it's fucking cold". The sun sets at 5 pm and if you go for a drive through downtown at 5:30 pm, the place is a literal ghost town.

So, yes. Wonderful, holly-jolly and uplifting beautiful winter. Or a grim and frostbitten hell-scape, as bleak as the surface of the moon. Take your pick.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 22, 2013, 05:21:03 AM
Motor oil and other important fluids (so-called "anti-freeze") begin turning into thick sludge at that point so you take good care of any vehicles you may rely on. And make sure you unplug your block heater before you try to drive away. You have to start making bizarre choices like if you go out grocery shopping you're on a time limit if there's no outlet around to plug in your car because your goddamn engine will freeze after a certain period. Schools and non-essential services close because "it's fucking cold". The sun sets at 5 pm and if you go for a drive through downtown at 5:30 pm, the place is a literal ghost town.

So, yes. Wonderful, holly-jolly and uplifting beautiful winter. Or a grim and frostbitten hell-scape, as bleak as the surface of the moon. Take your pick.

Yes, all that sounds very familiar. Except when we were living up north of Fairbanks, AK, the schools did not shut down or skip recess for extreme weather.  Everything was on normal schedule when it was -50.  At the entrance to Fort Wainwright, the LED sign froze up and said it was 355 degrees when it was actually -50, so we all said hell finally did freeze over.

When we got stationed down in Oklahoma, our truck still had its block heater.  The cord was visible, of course, and this old guy comes up to me and says there's a cord hanging out of my truck that shouldn't be there lol.  I had to explain to him what a block heater was. 

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 22, 2013, 02:01:40 PM
Yes, all that sounds very familiar. Except when we were living up north of Fairbanks, AK, the schools did not shut down or skip recess for extreme weather.  Everything was on normal schedule when it was -50.  At the entrance to Fort Wainwright, the LED sign froze up and said it was 355 degrees when it was actually -50, so we all said hell finally did freeze over.

When we got stationed down in Oklahoma, our truck still had its block heater.  The cord was visible, of course, and this old guy comes up to me and says there's a cord hanging out of my truck that shouldn't be there lol.  I had to explain to him what a block heater was.

I'm a good deal further south than Alaska so we still close schools at that temp. But as you go further north, people just get more hardcore. Near the arctic circle when it's -20 there are probably people out jogging with shorts and T-shirts on :)

I've also heard legends of places that don't have any ideas of what undercoatings or block heaters are for. We took friends from Florida out on a frozen lake that trucks were driving around on and they stoutly refused to believe they were standing on ice.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 22, 2013, 04:00:43 PM
I'm a good deal further south than Alaska so we still close schools at that temp. But as you go further north, people just get more hardcore. Near the arctic circle when it's -20 there are probably people out jogging with shorts and T-shirts on :)

That's just about right.  Up in Fairbanks, when it hits the 20s, you really do have people wearing shorts out jogging.  ;D 

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 22, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
That's just about right.  Up in Fairbanks, when it hits the 20s, you really do have people wearing shorts out jogging.  ;D

Not at all surprised!

Chine

Here's a hummingbird painting of mine and a quick painting of The Joker.