• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Game of Thrones

Started by bluth co., May 13, 2012, 01:30:32 PM

zeebo

Anyone know of a good online summary of all the books?  (Not the tv show.) 

As I described in a somewhat lengthy post on the Book Club thread I've stalled out after finally finishing #3, and just wanna know what happens in 4-5.

Tarbaby

There are podcasts that cover both the HBO series and the books. You can search your podcast aggregator for game of thrones (books only). I have "seen" all the episodes and read all the books so far. And I understood and empathized with that post you made about dropping out after book 3. I managed to hang in there but I had your same misgivings. :-)   I never posted here about game of thrones because there wasn't a spoiler free zone.

zeebo

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 29, 2014, 07:33:56 PM
There are podcasts that cover both the HBO series and the books. You can search your podcast aggregator for game of thrones (books only). I have "seen" all the episodes and read all the books so far. And I understood and empathized with that post you made about dropping out after book 3. I managed to hang in there but I had your same misgivings. :-)   I never posted here about game of thrones because there wasn't a spoiler free zone.

Thanks tb I didn't even think about podcasts!  Good idea.   And thanks for the understanding at my conflicted bail-out decision.  ;)

Btw I was tempted to babble on some more in my other post but was trying to keep spoiler-free.  I tell you, it was a challenge in itself just making it as far as I did dodging all the spoiler attacks out there - including a few on this thread.   :(

Tarbaby

Oh, I have to warn you. Those podcasts are very very thorough but also very annoying. Especially the ones where one or both hosts  use the word "like" every other word. But these guys are huge fans, know the material well and cover it from every possible angle. You'll have to make sure you get the podcast that is complete and not spoiler free.

Tarbaby

Just remembered one of the names to search for: Joanna Robinson.

I just finished the last two episodes of the first season: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(

That is all.

Chine

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 31, 2014, 06:45:16 AM
I just finished the last two episodes of the first season: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(

That is all.

Ha. It's such a great series and ready for next season. I just started Hannibal and love that series. I binged on it for a week and ready for their next season as well.

Kelt

That is all.

You knew it was coming though, right?

... you had to know that was coming?

I've read all the books and watched all the episodes of the series. 

I agree with zeebo and Tarbaby, end of third book slowed quite a bit.  I enjoyed the fourth and fifth less than the first three.  But I still enjoyed them. 

And I cannot understand the "purists" of any book series adapted to either the big or small screen objecting to any portrayal of the characters.  It's not the same.  Even though in this case George R. R. Martin is included in the series, he's not in total control.  And I really don't think it would be as good if he was. 

And, UC, don't give up.  It gets better/worse.   ::)
Nina Gold has set the bar for casting.   :)

b_dubb

That is all.

Ya ain't seen nothing yet

Quote from: Kelt on August 31, 2014, 08:55:29 AM
You knew it was coming though, right?

... you had to know that was coming?

Shit yeah, but still....

Quote from: Treading Water on August 31, 2014, 09:04:15 AM

And, UC, don't give up.  It gets better/worse.   ::)
Nina Gold has set the bar for casting.   :)

Casting is fantastic which is why I was devastated. One of my favorites. And then the somber closing credit music. Why not just tear my freakin' heart right out?

Quote from: b_dubb on August 31, 2014, 02:34:31 PM
Ya ain't seen nothing yet

I am hoping for payback, big time. Season 2 can't get here fast enough.

zeebo

Quote from: Treading Water on August 31, 2014, 09:04:15 AM
I've read all the books and watched all the episodes of the series. 
I agree with zeebo and Tarbaby, end of third book slowed quite a bit.  I enjoyed the fourth and fifth less than the first three.  But I still enjoyed them. 
Nina Gold has set the bar for casting.

I did catch the first episode or two awhile back and I agree the casting is good, with the exception of Catelyn which didn't seem right to me.  Tyrion is great, if a bit "polished up".  Jaime and Eddard and Jon are spot-on I think.  Arya is also good. 

Anyway I'm sure at some point I'll binge-watch them all.  I kinda miss the books already, even though I've given up on them out of exhasperation.  I'm conflicted.   :-\

onan

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 31, 2014, 03:31:28 PM
Shit yeah, but still....

I am hoping for payback, big time. Season 2 can't get here fast enough.

Oh dear, umm payback, you say? You may want to reconsider.

Chine

Quote from: zeebo on August 31, 2014, 04:25:13 PM
I did catch the first episode or two awhile back and I agree the casting is good, with the exception of Catelyn which didn't seem right to me.  Tyrion is great, if a bit "polished up".  Jaime and Eddard and Jon are spot-on I think.  Arya is also good. 

Anyway I'm sure at some point I'll binge-watch them all.  I kinda miss the books already, even though I've given up on them out of exhasperation.  I'm conflicted.   :-\

Hey, Zeebo (feisty squirrel). I bought book one and considering starting to read the series. However, for myself, I try to appreciate each medium on it's own (book vs film). As anyone who had written for stage, screenplay or novel they are different animals. Let alone the work film and television production are their own. (again, those studied in translating one medium to the next). I love the tv series and also enjoying reading the books. Appreciating the craft of each minus comparison we far too often do.

Yet, the first book is certainly weighty and rich and I find I need to be in the right space to fully enjoy it. If that makes sense? However, may be a mistake doing both. I do love reading and the intimacy of a great book in the hands , curled up in a fav chair and that 'experiencing' that is unlike watching a screen.

Tarbaby

Quote from: zeebo on August 31, 2014, 04:25:13 PM

right. Same thing happened to me. In fact, I was even somewhat trashing Martin's work to my friends but after a time there was something compelling about it that made me go back and finish the books. And watch the HBO series. My chief complaint was there's a strong element of abnormality and perversity woven into the subplots which I actually found offensive. and that takes some doing because I'm pretty flexible.

zeebo

Quote from: Chine on August 31, 2014, 04:43:08 PM
...I love the tv series and also enjoying reading the books. Appreciating the craft of each minus comparison we far too often do.

Hi Chine, always good to see your posts, and wise words as usual.

One difference I've noticed with tv/movies is that while they're good at showing plot/action and of course visual depictions, they can't compete with the written word for nuances and depth of character. 

This character-driven style is something I think GRRM particularly excels at so anyone curious about the interior motivations/morality/perspective of the characters have alot to enjoy in the books.

Chine

Quote from: zeebo on August 31, 2014, 05:17:09 PM
Hi Chine, always good to see your posts, and wise words as usual.

One difference I've noticed with tv/movies is that while they're good at showing plot/action and of course visual depictions, they can't compete with the written word for nuances and depth of character. 

This character-driven style is something I think GRRM particularly excels at so anyone curious about the interior motivations/morality/perspective of the characters have alot to enjoy in the books.

Hi! Yes, I agree. I haven't read the books, so I think really I'm coming from this having worked in professionally in theater and film as an actress but also having written for stage, studied screenwriting, writing for tv, poetry, short stories and even stand up. It's formula and timing ... time management for the screen...and it's a bitch to be honest with you when you want to translate one to the other. ha. So, while the dialouge is accessorized with rich components in a paragraph in a novel... to punctuate or add a 'fragrance' around it. That isn't the case writing for the screen. It's all just dialogue.

When I say each as it's own animal.. the medium (novel vs short story vs writing a teleplay vs writing for film, etc. etc) they all have their own formula. You have an hour or even a half hour to take another medium and attempt to shift it to that formula. That involves the movement and speed for the film, for the television series. The very best writers in film and television harness it beautifully when they take a novel and write a script of dialogue alone (add in your first 10 plot point - timing to kick the action, for movement of the episode etc). You are dealing with different dynamics of each one and I personally am forgiving to a script for television for film not to be congruent to the book. They can't be. It was very confining to have to remember that while getting the dialogue on a screenplay to move at the timing of plot points, in the screeplay, etc. and not possible to marry to the full richness we have the luxury to in say a novel. There are many variables and often times it's easy to say one is good or bad, better than etc. Consider if another writer or new team of writers takes on GOT series. Then it shifts and will slightly change. We see this in television series with writers per episode. Like master painters given a sunflower still life. Monet will create the Monet. O' Keeffe will paint an O' Keeffe, and so on. Different, but the same subject in front of the artist and yet completely different temperament and strokes.

I think coming from knowing the craft I approach it this way.  Yet, I haven't fully explored it because I am willing to enjoy the experience of each. And we all have our own experience that is ours, not another viewers or readers. One may say that was a great film, while another thinks opposite. We are all right and valid with how we feel. I've read books and seen the film and compared and was disspointed. I try not to, as in any 'art' form. It's our own personal experience in how it not only entertains us, but may also enrich us, expand us in some capacity. Even if it's just a 'tv show'.  I began writing on the arts and on films for a magazine here and that was a whole nother bitch. Journalism and writing a 'review'. But, who cares? It felt vain and honestly anyone can read my thoughts and completely disagree. I kinda like that, though. If the topic of it opens up conversation like this one we are having on the thread, that is pretty damn awesome.

maureen

Quote from: Chine on August 31, 2014, 05:50:36 PM
Hi! Yes, I agree. I haven't read the books, so I think really I'm coming from this having worked in professionally in theater and film as an actress but also having written for stage, studied screenwriting, writing for tv, poetry, short stories and even stand up. It's formula and timing ... time management for the screen...and it's a bitch to be honest with you when you want to translate one to the other. ha. So, while the dialouge is accessorized with rich components in a paragraph in a novel... to punctuate or add a 'fragrance' around it. That isn't the case writing for the screen. It's all just dialogue.

When I say each as it's own animal.. the medium (novel vs short story vs writing a teleplay vs writing for film, etc. etc) they all have their own formula. You have an hour or even a half hour to take another medium and attempt to shift it to that formula. That involves the movement and speed for the film, for the television series. The very best writers in film and television harness it beautifully when they take a novel and write a script of dialogue alone (add in your first 10 plot point - timing to kick the action, for movement of the episode etc). You are dealing with different dynamics of each one and I personally am forgiving to a script for television for film not to be congruent to the book. They can't be. It was very confining to have to remember that while getting the dialogue on a screenplay to move at the timing of plot points, in the screeplay, etc. and not possible to marry to the full richness we have the luxury to in say a novel. There are many variables and often times it's easy to say one is good or bad, better than etc. Consider if another writer or new team of writers takes on GOT series. Then it shifts and will slightly change. We see this in television series with writers per episode. Like master painters given a sunflower still life. Monet will create the Monet. O' Keeffe will paint an O' Keeffe, and so on. Different, but the same subject in front of the artist and yet completely different temperament and strokes.

I think coming from knowing the craft I approach it this way.  Yet, I haven't fully explored it because I am willing to enjoy the experience of each. And we all have our own experience that is ours, not another viewers or readers. One may say that was a great film, while another thinks opposite. We are all right and valid with how we feel. I've read books and seen the film and compared and was disspointed. I try not to, as in any 'art' form. It's our own personal experience in how it not only entertains us, but may also enrich us, expand us in some capacity. Even if it's just a 'tv show'.  I began writing on the arts and on films for a magazine here and that was a whole nother bitch. Journalism and writing a 'review'. But, who cares? It felt vain and honestly anyone can read my thoughts and completely disagree. I kinda like that, though. If the topic of it opens up conversation like this one we are having on the thread, that is pretty damn awesome.
Such elegant eloquence!! I deeply appreciate your creativity, Chine.  Cheers!!

Chine

Quote from: maureen on September 01, 2014, 02:40:56 PM
Such elegant eloquence!! I deeply appreciate your creativity, Chine.  Cheers!!

Thanks, Maureen. Amazed that I wrote so much with any coherency. I've been on a much needed break and trying to recharge my creative batteries. Yet, as I told Zeebo, it's immeasurable to exchange thoughts with another on these topics. Zeebo's input has encouraged me to begin reading the series.

zeebo

Quote from: Chine on September 01, 2014, 04:27:53 PM
...Zeebo's input has encouraged me to begin reading the series.

Ha, oops, I guess I do have mixed feelings - seeing how I managed to pique your interest at the same time I'm quitting them in frustration!   :D

Well, in any case, the books are somewhat controversial for several reasons and opinions vary - so after you dig into them report back and let us know whatcha think.

Tarbaby

Zeebo Cohen I responded to your post number 102 above but I don't know if you saw it.

zeebo

Thanks TB yeah I saw your post and pretty much agreed w/ your thoughts on that.  There are some unseemly happenings in there, and I did find myself skimming through some parts to get past them. 

Quote from: onan on August 31, 2014, 04:31:34 PM
Oh dear, umm payback, you say? You may want to reconsider.

Oh, dear god, no. I don't think I can handle more of this. Trust no one. Grow attached to no character, animal or anything else. I miss Tolkien *sob*.

Quote from: Chine on August 31, 2014, 05:50:36 PM

Very nicely said, Chine GoT is very beautifully staged, acted, costumed and scripted. At some point, I probably will read the series because I'd like to know more about the interior dialog of some of the more interesting and controversial characters. It's a testament to the screenwriters and actors who've translated GRRM's work to a visual medium that I've come away with the desire to understand what makes some of the characters tick, because that doesn't happen very often.

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 31, 2014, 04:43:13 PM
right. Same thing happened to me. In fact, I was even somewhat trashing Martin's work to my friends but after a time there was something compelling about it that made me go back and finish the books. And watch the HBO series. My chief complaint was there's a strong element of abnormality and perversity woven into the subplots which I actually found offensive. and that takes some doing because I'm pretty flexible.

I feel the same way about the series, but I'd also be the first to admit I find it so compelling that here I sit, waiting patiently for my next DVDs from Netflix, and struggling not to fork over money to Amazon for just one quick streaming fix. I am a lifelong Tolkien reader and fan, and those novels offer a transcendence over the storyline in that there is a whole philosophical tract on good vs evil within LotR, as well as the very profound implications of creating a world through words as Tolkien did with his mythology and invented language. There's an awful lot there to be plumbed philosophically, spiritually and linguistically.

But, GRRM holds my interest, too, because he's a master storyteller and because his story is character driven, while Tolkien's is plot driven. I may not like all the characters, and the morality of his world may be deeply flawed, and it is, but damned if I don't want to know what happens to each of these people even if I'm peeking at the screen from behind my hand, knowing what's coming next will be deeply shocking and repulsive. This is what fantasy does best: explore areas that are unsettling at arm's length. In this case, it's the amorality of the game of thrones. Fun to watch and think about, horrible to actually experience.

zeebo

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 02, 2014, 08:38:43 AM
But, GRRM holds my interest, too, because he's a master storyteller and because his story is character driven, while Tolkien's is plot driven.

They're both great at building epic worlds with their own histories, geography, language, and culture.  I'm impressed that GRRM can keep his massive character list straight, even if I can't.  ???  (For the uninitiated there are appendices at the back that can help with this btw.)

And I agree that GRRM is a great storyteller.  He weaves a story where the main threads are intertwined with various subplots and the action ranges from the mundane to high drama.  Many themes are woven in such as power, honor, truth, courage, family, loyalty, etc.

I do however miss Tolkien's more lyrical prose.  There was an almost musical quality to words he chose - perhaps partly because he was so fascinated by linguistics.   

Quote from: zeebo on September 02, 2014, 04:13:58 PM
I do however miss Tolkien's more lyrical prose.  There was an almost musical quality to words he chose - perhaps partly because he was so fascinated by linguistics.   

Yes.  A symphony of words.   :)

Tarbaby

unscreamed caller: yes. Good post!

Thanks, tarbaby.  :) I've read Tolkien since I was a teenager, and I still get something from his work each time through. For whatever reason, his writing resonates with me like no other author's. He makes me ponder, I suppose.

Some season 2 GoT discs arrived. I watched 4 in a row last night. I literally couldn't stop watching one right after another. Do I need a 12 step program or what? However, there is one character who, if that character dies in a particularly spectacular way, I will not be shedding any tears for. I am also growing very, very fond of the Imp.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 04, 2014, 03:54:45 PM
Thanks, tarbaby.  :) I've read Tolkien since I was a teenager, and I still get something from his work each time through. For whatever reason, his writing resonates with me like no other author's. He makes me ponder, I suppose.

Some season 2 GoT discs arrived. I watched 4 in a row last night. I literally couldn't stop watching one right after another. Do I need a 12 step program or what? However, there is one character who, if that character dies in a particularly spectacular way, I will not be shedding any tears for. I am also growing very, very fond of the Imp.

[gleefully wringing hands]   Mwa ha ha    [evil smiley face]

It is ALL spectacular....     8)

Quote from: Treading Water on September 04, 2014, 05:55:05 PM
[gleefully wringing hands]   Mwa ha ha    [evil smiley face]

It is ALL spectacular....     8)

#TeamStark heh heh