• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Game of Thrones

Started by bluth co., May 13, 2012, 01:30:32 PM

zeebo

I'm zooming through Season 2 and I'm pretty impressed.  Some of the places like Dragonstone and the Iron Islands look just like I pictured them (both interior & exteriors).  Also the excellent casting continues - Yara, and Stannis for instance. 

So far I'd say this series is an excellent case study in how to write an adaptation for the screen.  The writers have clarified the main plot lines, brought the essence of each character into sharp relief, and drawn a cohesive picture of the world in which everything takes place.  Some of the dialogue is as excellent or even better (or at least more succinct) than the book.  Sure some details are lost in this process, but that's the trade-off.  In this case I'd say it mostly works.

Still I wonder how well people who haven't read the books are faring with the complexity? For sure it's dramatically reduced but it still makes it easier when you're like "Oh, there's Davos!".  :D

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on April 22, 2017, 11:39:02 PM
I'm zooming through Season 2 and I'm pretty impressed.  Some of the places like Dragonstone and the Iron Islands look just like I pictured them (both interior & exteriors).  Also the excellent casting continues - Yara, and Stannis for instance. 

So far I'd say this series is an excellent case study in how to write an adaptation for the screen.  The writers have clarified the main plot lines, brought the essence of each character into sharp relief, and drawn a cohesive picture of the world in which everything takes place.  Some of the dialogue is as excellent or even better (or at least more succinct) than the book.  Sure some details are lost in this process, but that's the trade-off.  In this case I'd say it mostly works.

Still I wonder how well people who haven't read the books are faring with the complexity? For sure it's dramatically reduced but it still makes it easier when you're like "Oh, there's Davos!".  :D

remember that later on

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on April 23, 2017, 01:26:08 AM
remember that later on

ha, ok ... Btw does anyone know, does the tv series end at book five, or does it go past that into the books which haven't even been published yet?  (I don't want to look it up as I'm avoiding spoilers.)

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on April 23, 2017, 03:58:28 PM
ha, ok ... Btw does anyone know, does the tv series end at book five, or does it go past that into the books which haven't even been published yet?  (I don't want to look it up as I'm avoiding spoilers.)

it starts about late season 4 where they catch up and pass the source material..of course they also veer away from some things through the entire thing

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on April 23, 2017, 05:47:42 PM
it starts about late season 4 where they catch up and pass the source material..of course they also veer away from some things through the entire thing

Thanks, wow that's pretty weird.  GRRM is going to end up writing an adaptation of his own adapted story lol.

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on April 23, 2017, 07:37:19 PM
Thanks, wow that's pretty weird.  GRRM is going to end up writing an adaptation of his own adapted story lol.

i really do not know how its gonna turn out...i mean he finally turned in Winds of Winter...but i kinda really had little desire to read Dance with Dragons..George is good..but a bit long winded ..i am waiting to see if Scott Lynch's series gets picked up to be made a movie or something

trostol

ok..i really..wasn't feeling the show heading into the season premier..wasn't so sure i really wanted to watch or not...the season premier was fantastic...even Dany's part

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on July 16, 2017, 11:00:34 PM
ok..i really..wasn't feeling the show heading into the season premier..wasn't so sure i really wanted to watch or not...the season premier was fantastic...even Dany's part

No spoilers lol ... I'm just starting Season 4.   :-\  Overall I've been rather impressed, particularly with the casting/acting.  Great adaptation writing-wise, although somewhat over-abbreviated.  A few too many details have been dropped, but on the flip side they've clarified and streamlined much of the plot and characters' motivations/developments. 

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on July 16, 2017, 11:14:05 PM
No spoilers lol ... I'm just starting Season 4.   :-\  Overall I've been rather impressed, particularly with the casting/acting.  Great adaptation writing-wise, although somewhat over-abbreviated.  A few too many details have been dropped, but on the flip side they've clarified and streamlined much of the plot and characters' motivations/developments.

there is a lot of things they left out changed that i didn't like..you'll probably see a lot more of it now that yer on season 4..this is basically where they caught up and went their own way

I am convicned Bran is the night King.

zeebo

Still catching up, now on Season 4.  Been watching on blu-ray including all the extra background content.  So far I'm consistently impressed by this series.  The casting is fantastic, the writing (especially the dialogues), the locations, art design, everything.  So cool to see a production worthy of the source material.  I have my quibbles but oddly the series has made me interested in the books again - usually it's the other way around. 

I've been thinking about why this saga is so compelling, and for me I think it goes beyond the action and plot twists.  GRRM's greatness is not just his deep world-building skills, but his insight into the motives and moral orientations of his characters.  All the various ways of viewing loyalty, duty, sacrifice, justice, power ... I mean it's really up there with some Shakespearean themes.  Yep, I went there.

trostol

season 7 episode 4...fantastic really..reunions..sword practice..dragons being dragons!!!!! much comeuppance

Taaroa

For anyone that cares, Season 7 Episode 6 has leaked. Downside is it looks like a camrip.

ponyboysunset

I have loved this season(7) the most. I started back at season 1 this week and truly I think it's everything wrapping up that is magical, oh and dragons, lots of them.  :)

Gd5150

Always thought he looked familiar. 😄 Then Sunday Shrek 2 was on. Haha!

Jackstar

Quote from: ponyboysunset on August 16, 2017, 05:24:15 AM
truly I think it's everything wrapping up that is magical, oh and dragons, lots of them.  :)

last three episodes, actual screen grab

Jackstar

I will cheerfully point out, that the ham-handed fashion in which all the characters who required expository dialogue experienced it while on trudging through a narrow path on foot surrounded by armed guards, was a delightful analogy to how the writers themselves must have felt all season.

Taaroa

Quote from: Jackstar on August 29, 2017, 05:39:57 AM
I will cheerfully point out, that the ham-handed fashion in which all the characters who required expository dialogue experienced it while on trudging through a narrow path on foot surrounded by armed guards, was a delightful analogy to how the writers themselves must have felt all season.
I think the writing has been getting worse and worse for the past few seasons, but was particularly bad for this one. Logistics issues and plot holes seem to abound, in addition to things like what you just said.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Taaroa on August 29, 2017, 09:40:33 AM
I think the writing has been getting worse and worse for the past few seasons, but was particularly bad for this one. Logistics issues and plot holes seem to abound, in addition to things like what you just said.

The entire Winterfell plot and its """"""shocking"""""" ending couldn't have been more obvious. At this point I just want it to be over, and then I want GRR to finish the books before he dies so we really know how its supposed to end.

Taaroa

Quote from: Lord Grantham on August 29, 2017, 09:45:36 AM
The entire Winterfell plot and its """"""shocking"""""" ending couldn't have been more obvious.
The worst thing is though that your average viewer/target audience is lapping it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfkeyeJAco

Quote from: Lord Grantham on August 29, 2017, 09:45:36 AM
At this point I just want it to be over, and then I want GRR to finish the books before he dies so we really know how its supposed to end.
They'll keep milking it after the main series has ended, with spinoffs galore. I only watch it because there really aren't many decent shows that are still being made currently.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Taaroa on August 29, 2017, 10:01:27 AM
The worst thing is though that your average viewer/target audience is lapping it up.

They'll keep milking it after the main series has ended, with spinoffs galore. I only watch it because there really aren't many decent shows that are still being made currently.

The average person is an idiot.

I'm okay with spinoffs, so long as D&D aren't involved. Let them go work on their shitty little show about the confederacy. The world of ice and fire is deep with lore and history, if it's done right they'll be alright. If hack fraud showrunners are involved it'll be post book GoT, only worse.