• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Game of Thrones

Started by bluth co., May 13, 2012, 01:30:32 PM

bluth co.

Idk if anyone is interested in this, but it's a pretty awesome show. If anyone is a fan, what do you think of the second season so far. Maybe i'm not remembering from the books but I think they might be adding things? The second season so far has been lacking for me.

ziznak

I watch it when I find the time to download a new episode and yeah... something is lacking this season.  I can't really comment on the books but when I watched the first season (all in one or two sittings mind you) I was REALLY into it and couldn't stop watching... this season when it should be building up to the typical "end of the 2nd season" showdown... and it kinda is... seems like it's just going to be weak.  I've been kinda half watching this season... guess it's not moving fast enough for me?

jazmunda

I'm a huge fan of the books and the first season was outstanding but this season just seems to be plodding along very slowly and nothing is really happening. I wonder what the ratings have been like and hope that it doesn't get cancelled.

Frys Girl

I really enjoyed the show last night. I just wish Joffrey had been killed.

heater

I agree last nights episode was good.  I was really pulling for Stannis, even knowing how it ends in the book I still wanted to see him on the iron throne!

I think part of the problem with this season versus last is we are seeing the chess game pieces being set in place for larger stories rather than the character development that made season 1 so much fun.  I can't wait for the Hound to hit the road and be a one man wrecking machine.

ziznak

Currently watching this episode now.  The last few installments have really picked things up.  Wildfire is awesome!!

Tarbaby

I've wondered a few times what makes the books so absorbing. They're full of cruelty, violence and barbarism. Yet richly textured; full of a strange joie de vivre. The author (George R. R. Martin) reminds me of a grown-up Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series). Martin obviously gets bored and forces bizarre plot twists impulsively. Killing off favorite characters after developing them for hundreds of pages. (These books are long).
   Also, I would submit Martin has a kinky if not downright perverted bent.

The HBO series complimented the books quite well tho' it did take liberties. Martin, I think, was satisfied with it (the cable series).

starrmtn001

Quote from: Tarbaby on November 29, 2013, 05:56:34 PM
I've wondered a few times what makes the books so absorbing. They're full of cruelty, violence and barbarism. Yet richly textured; full of a strange joie de vivre. The author (George R. R. Martin) reminds me of a grown-up Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series). Martin obviously gets bored and forces bizarre plot twists impulsively. Killing off favorite characters after developing them for hundreds of pages. (These books are long).

The HBO series complimented the books quite well tho' it did take liberties. Martin, I think, was satisfied with it (the cable series).
Your observation is sharp.  Your summary is exactly right.  Hard to watch, but harder to look away.

analog kid

Quote from: Tarbaby on November 29, 2013, 05:56:34 PMThe HBO series complimented the books quite well tho' it did take liberties. Martin, I think, was satisfied with it (the cable series).

I'm pretty sure Martin was involved in expanding material for the series.

I gave up during season two. Being a wuss, it was too much for me.

Ravenna

Quote from: Tarbaby on November 29, 2013, 05:56:34 PM

I watched the first season of GoT after it came out on DVD, and thought it was magnificent (nearly as good as the books, which are great).  I haven't watched Season 2 yet of the HBO series, and am planning to after Xmas (I don't get HBO, and don't do the torrents thing, so I always wait for the DVDs to come out).

I've read the whole series, and thought Books 1-3 were fabulous.  Book 2, A Storm of Swords,' had one of the best endings of a book ever:  it left me literally gasping. 

Unfortunately, I didn't like Books 4 and 5 in the series nearly as much as the first 3.  I sort of got the impression that George R.R. Martin may have lost the muse after Book 3, and Books 4 and 5 which much harder to read and felt "forced" somehow, whereas Books 1-3 just flowed and led me right along without having to "try" much at the reading of them.  Books 4 and 5 were more of a hard slog for me, although both of them had good moments, but overall something was missing in them.  I'll read Book 6 when it finally comes out, though.  I'm eager to see what's up with all the characters.

Tarbaby

starrmmtn001: thanks
Analog Kid: Yup, don't blame you.
Ravenna: Yes. Agreed. Well - when the author has removed any of the characters he spent thousands of words developing and forging a bond with readers it's difficult to begin car
ing (as the reader) what happens next. Not to mention, the reader is not predisposed to start bonding with a new characters knowing what may happen.
   So, IMO, that is a major error on the part of the author, a zany impulse he shouldn't have followed (ie, developing characters only to eventually kill them off). 'Course, Stephen King does it all the time.

Chine

6 MORE DAYS!!! ... Season 4

Chine

Bigchucka. I love that. I have the first book in the series a year ago. I began it but stopped as I started watching the series. Yet, I want to go back and read the books. 

bigchucka

Quote from: Chine on March 31, 2014, 07:58:28 PM
Bigchucka. I love that. I have the first book in the series a year ago. I began it but stopped as I started watching the series. Yet, I want to go back and read the books.

I was looking for something to read when I looked at NY Times bestsellers list. Seen A Dance Of Dragons was number one.  And it was fantasy fiction.  And realized how rare that was.  History lesson for ya to the best of my knowledge...

First to do it?  David Eddings The Seeress Of Kell.  The Belgariad and The Mallorean are pretty good.  10 books in all. Seeress was the last one.

First to do it repeatedly?  Robert Jordan.  The Wheel Of Time is also a good series.  The fans got lucky and Robert Jordan decided soon before his death to allow someone else to go off of his notes and finish it.  Brandon Sanderson is who finished the series.  I'm reading Words Of Radiance at the moment.

I would guess what happened with RJ is why GRRM told the other two guys that head the show how he was planning on ending the series...

ziznak

waitin on this premiere too... it's right up there with the latest gabcast I keep missing... grr

bigchucka

At least it's a nice day for a Purple Wedding.

[attachimg=1]

So I gather that homely king finally got knocked off via poison.  It was fun to watch!

Quote from: bigchucka on April 13, 2014, 03:20:45 PM
At least it's a nice day for a Purple Wedding.

[attachimg=1]

You should have to take a drink for every guy that says "Khalesi, let me beat this man up for you."

bigchucka

Quote from: ziznak on March 31, 2014, 08:11:43 PM
waitin on this premiere too... it's right up there with the latest gabcast I keep missing... GRRM

fixed it for ya based on title of thread

bigchucka

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 26, 2014, 05:57:21 AM
You should have to take a drink for every guy that says "Khalesi, let me beat this man up for you."
You do.  Rule at top of poster.  Daeneyrs is her NAME.  Khaleesi is her TITLE.

Even though..... 2012 brought us 21 baby Daeneyrs and  146 baby Khaleesi's

http://guardianlv.com/2014/04/game-of-thrones-inspiring-new-trends-in-baby-names/

bigchucka

Thanks to another thread Area51Drone started, I just proved the existence of Mel's Hole.   Now, on to other GoT related questions....

Art was the king of late night radio.  Another one of "Mel"'s teachings is that there's power in a king's blood.  Would Art accept the 'ol "leech on the schlong" to help us get rid of the usurper George Noory?

bigchucka

b_dubb

Quote from: eddie dean on May 18, 2014, 08:05:02 PM
GoT is getting really good, but the slow pace is pissing me off! Get to the conclusion of Tyrion's trial already! Fuck!
Now we have to wait 2 fucking weeks for the next episode!!! Suck it HBO!
Just no spoilers man.  I feel like this shouldn't need to be said.  But no spoilers bro. 

jazmunda

Quote from: bigchucka on May 16, 2014, 12:05:47 PM
http://youtu.be/eFSiiiFkvhM

Comment section led me to...

http://youtu.be/oCruJzlWefE

These are great. Thanks for sharing.

Everything sounds better in 8-bit music form.

ziznak

I'm liking this season so far... and now... I'm posting on this board at work.... duhn duhn duhhnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Cynnie

I'm so far behind on Game of thrones ..I just got to the red wedding.
But man it's just wonderful

bigchucka

Pretty good.  They also did the Cosmos one I posted...

http://youtu.be/ySQ2oIIO9Ik