• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No
Quote from: ItsOver on April 19, 2018, 05:02:44 AM
MV confronted him last night on the GabCast about bringing forth ALL of Art's show for listeners.  Jorch said he'd look into it.  Hopefully, there'll be better luck with that than in getting Jorch to improve over the years.  MV even offered to assist in converting old shows onto digital format.  Jorch said he'd come back for a future GabCast to talk more about Art and to update about any further Bell show offerings...

IIRC, George said they had tapes of all the shows, but that they were ''all over the place''.  Meaning they are scattered around the office and randomly kept in various places the way old files no one has looked at or needed for years typically end up.  Some may even be in storage. 

Someone at PremRat needs to go around the office, gather them, inventory them to ensure they really do have them all - otherwise the tendency is for them to disappear (be thrown out, be moved to some other part of the building, lost, even ''borrowed'' and not returned, etc), and thus disappear from history.  I got the sense that George and PremRat didn't appreciate their historic value.  There are thousands of shows, it would be suprising if some of these tapes weren't already lost for good.

I wonder why Art Bell handed them over after taking the time to record and store them in the first place.  Ok, so the commercial use of archives were included in the sale of the show, but he might have considered holding the tapes themselves back as personal property, not assets of the corporation.

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 19, 2018, 07:22:49 AM
IIRC, George said they had tapes of all the shows, but that they were ''all over the place''.  Meaning they are scattered around the office and randomly kept in various places the way old files no one has looked at or needed for years typically end up.  Some may even be in storage. 

Someone at PremRat needs to go around the office, gather them, inventory them to ensure they really do have them all, otherwise the tendency is for them to disappear (be thrown out, be moved to some other part of the building, lost, even ''borrowed'' and not returned, etc), and thus disappear from history.  I got the sense that George and PremRat didn't appreciate their historic value.  There are thousands of shows, it would be suprising if some of these tapes weren't already lost for good.

I wonder why Art Bell handed them over after taking the time to record and store them in the first place.  Ok, so the commercial use of archives were included in the sale of the show, but the tapes themselves should have been held back as personal property, not assets of the corporation.

Depending on the age and quality of the tape there is bound to be some damage. I think most of the early and mid 90s shows were on VCR tape. Most of it is probably salvageable, but I am am sure some of it has been lost. Noory also said they don't have the man power for it, they are on a tight budget as it is right now as the company is losing tons of money. But apparently Noory can afford 3 producers he mentioned Lisa, Tommy, and now Jimmy Church.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 19, 2018, 05:33:29 AM
He is slimy. Of course he is going to play nice...

It could be that what comes across as sliminess are just further examples of George's tin ear when it comes to broadcasting, and feeble attempts at humor.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 19, 2018, 07:26:46 AM
Depending on the age and quality of the tape there is bound to be some damage. I think most of the early and mid 90s shows were on VCR tape. Most of it is probably salvageable, but I am am sure some of it has been lost. Noory also said they don't have the man power for it, they are on a tight budget as it is right now as the company is losing tons of money. But apparently Noory can afford 3 producers he mentioned Lisa, Tommy, and now Jimmy Church.

Interns.  I wonder if they would consider having a fan come in and take on the project -  (of course they'd have to be patted down on the way out the door every night  ::)   )

grano salis

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 19, 2018, 07:26:46 AM

Back in the '90s there was a tape catalog (you could request by mail)  and one could obtain tapes of Art Bell Dreamland and C2C individual shows from a small outfit in Oregon.  I google mapped it once and it was a tiny white frame house in some obscure part of Oregon--cannot remember where.  Anyway I guess that I never understood Art's lack of business savvy about this --since he should have kept the "reproduction and sales" rights to his shows.  I presume that he believed his books would be his next colossal media sensation--and it didn't pan out that way.  He didn't seem to have much of a long term business outlook, IMO.

grano salis

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 19, 2018, 07:29:54 AM
Interns.  I wonder if they would consider having a fan come in and take on the project -  (of course they'd have to be patted down on the way out the door every night  ::)   )

Noory and his broadcasting corporation are not that invested in having remnants of Art's genius to which they would be perpetually unfavorably compared, IMO. Tape destruction and age degeneration is short sighted but I wouldn't put it past these guys.

ItsOver

Someone at PremRat needs to go around the office, gather them, inventory them to ensure they really do have them all - otherwise the tendency is for them to disappear (be thrown out, be moved to some other part of the building, lost, even ''borrowed'' and not returned, etc), and thus disappear from history.  I got the sense that George and PremRat didn't appreciate their historic value.  There are thousands of shows, it would be suprising if some of these tapes weren't already lost for good.

Yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath for Jorch and company to get it all sorted out.  Cities must be "invaded" and beets pureed.  Priorties, priorities.  I wonder how many of the tapes are buried under Tommee's pile of submerging artist submissions.  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 19, 2018, 07:29:08 AM
It could be that what comes across as sliminess are just further examples of George's tin ear when it comes to broadcasting, and feeble attempts at humor.
It's too bad he's not competent.  Like some people.

ItsOver

Quote from: grano salis on April 19, 2018, 07:46:58 AM
Noory and his broadcasting corporation are not that invested in having remnants of Art's genius to which they would be perpetually unfavorably compared, IMO. Tape destruction and age degeneration is short sighted but I wouldn't put it past these guys.
I'm surprised PremRat still airs "Somewhere in Time."  When they then air Jorch's show, it's like they're mooning the audience.

Maybe it was all the time he’s been living near Hollywood now, that he was just putting on a convincing act, but I genuinely think that was real emotion you could hear in Noory’s voice when he first announced Art’s passing.  He could barely get through the segment.  On the gabcast, MV and the other cohosts seemed willing to bury the hatchet, I’m kind of feeling the same.  We all know his shortcomings and that he isn’t always the “nice guy” he tries to portray, but even so I’m willing to give him another chance.

Regarding Art’s archives,  I’ve heard obviously of Coast and Dreamland, but I used to hear him reference another show, called Area something, Area 2000 maybe?  I might just be imagining things, but does anyone else remember another show?  What was the difference between that show and Coast?

Taco Bell

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 19, 2018, 08:10:56 AMRegarding Art’s archives,  I’ve heard obviously of Coast and Dreamland, but I used to hear him reference another show, called Area something, Area 2000 maybe?  I might just be imagining things, but does anyone else remember another show?  What was the difference between that show and Coast?

Are you talking about Dark Matter on XM or West Coast AM before it became C2C?

No, Dark Matter I heard live from the first show.  Might have been West Coast AM, but I could’ve sworn there was another show, maybe not.

Noory doesn't own or have a say in anything, the tapes all belong to Premiere/E Corp/DoesntgiveashitCo. It makes no business sense to them to release everything.  They couldn't care less what a few hardcore fans want. Sad but that's the reality of the situation. They can continue to slow leak them on the SIT shows or C2C membership section. They saw what an assest they were and probably gave Art a ridiculous amount of money for them and all broadcast rights. Art probably thought it was money for old rope.

The same thing happened to Stern. He signed away all the old shows ("a shitload of money for old tapes? sure, where do I sign hoo-hoo") but almost immediately regretted it. He only got the rights back because he had leverage over CBS from a lawsuit and accepted rights from the old shows as part of a settlement

Juan

Another problem for Coast is that the music would have to be edited out. The company  can broadcast the music and pay licensing fees, but actually distributing the music through download comes under a completely different set of laws. It’s the same reason Keith has to remove the music from the MITD downloads. As I said in a previous post, digitizing from a tape occurs only in real time. A four hour show takes about four hours - then there’s the editing required to remove music, commercials, etc. it would be a huge manpower problem, particularly for a bankrupt company.

And what kind of tape were they recorded on? George said cassette, but does that mean audio cassette? It would make more sense for it to be VHS as one tape could record an entire show. But it could have been Betamax or broadcast 3/4. How many of those players are still around?

Quote from: Juan on April 19, 2018, 09:07:00 AM
Another problem for Coast is that the music would have to be edited out. The company  can broadcast the music and pay licensing fees, but actually distributing the music through download comes under a completely different set of laws. It’s the same reason Keith has to remove the music from the MITD downloads. As I said in a previous post, digitizing from a tape occurs only in real time. A four hour show takes about four hours - then there’s the editing required to remove music, commercials, etc. it would be a huge manpower problem, particularly for a bankrupt company.

And what kind of tape were they recorded on? George said cassette, but does that mean audio cassette? It would make more sense for it to be VHS as one tape could record an entire show. But it could have been Betamax or broadcast 3/4. How many of those players are still around?

It is VHS. I recall Art said this on a show in the 90s, multiple times actually.

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 19, 2018, 08:20:52 AM
No, Dark Matter I heard live from the first show.  Might have been West Coast AM, but I could’ve sworn there was another show, maybe not.

Area 2000 started 1993 on KDWN, was funded by Bigelow. Knapp and Howe were also involved. It was a pre-cursor to Dreamland and ran on Sundays.

Jorch's character has very little to do with anything, slimebag or misunderstood nice guy, he SUCKS at the only thing that matters, hosting an overnight radio show.

but since the whole theme of the show has run its course, half the regular guests are now dead and the surviving ones just play their wacky greatest hits it really doesn't matter, Art probably realized that it had all run its course and why he concocted a story to get out of it.  I listen partly because I like watching Coast sink, I like catching Norryisms in all their forms, Jorch's cheesy ways, and then there's the guests. I find people on the fringes of the entertainment industry trying their hardest to the point of actually believing they are part of the big time hilarious and interesting. Coast is right up my alley, I loved the PTL Club, Fernwood Tonight, SCTV, Howard Stern's Channel 9 shows - all essentially the same thing intentional or not, cheesy people doing cheesy television.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 19, 2018, 09:11:30 AM
Area 2000 started 1993 on KDWN, was funded by Bigelow. Knapp and Howe were also involved. It was a pre-cursor to Dreamland and ran on Sundays.

Thanks.  I hope those archives still exist somewhere, sounds like it was a great show.  Haven’t heard the Area 2000 replays on any of the AB streams.

ItsOver

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 19, 2018, 09:31:37 AM
Jorch's character has very little to do with anything, slimebag or misunderstood nice guy, he SUCKS at the only thing that matters, hosting an overnight radio show.

but since the whole theme of the show has run its course, half the regular guests are now dead and the surviving ones just play their wacky greatest hits it really doesn't matter, Art probably realized that it had all run its course and why he concocted a story to get out of it.  I listen partly because I like watching Coast sink, I like catching Norryisms in all their forms, Jorch's cheesy ways, and then there's the guests. I find people on the fringes of the entertainment industry trying their hardest to the point of actually believing they are part of the big time hilarious and interesting. Coast is right up my alley, I loved the PTL Club, Fernwood Tonight, SCTV, Howard Stern's Channel 9 shows - all essentially the same thing intentional or not, cheesy people doing cheesy television.
I like to look at Jorch and C2C as a dufus parody of what it once was.  Put Phil Hendrie in as the host and I'd be dead from laughter.

albrecht

Quote from: grano salis on April 19, 2018, 07:41:00 AM
Back in the '90s there was a tape catalog (you could request by mail)  and one could obtain tapes of Art Bell Dreamland and C2C individual shows from a small outfit in Oregon.  I google mapped it once and it was a tiny white frame house in some obscure part of Oregon--cannot remember where.  Anyway I guess that I never understood Art's lack of business savvy about this --since he should have kept the "reproduction and sales" rights to his shows.  I presume that he believed his books would be his next colossal media sensation--and it didn't pan out that way.  He didn't seem to have much of a long term business outlook, IMO.
I recall being surprised how much they wanted for a tape at the time, like $25 or 30 I think? When Cuban's old company started internet streaming the show I wonder if digital recordings were kept? Those would lots easier to edit out songs and/or sell/distribute if iHateMedia, Inc wanted? But back then storage was still sort of expensive so they might have just broadcast the show live but not recorded?

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on April 19, 2018, 10:25:16 AM
I like to look at Jorch and C2C as a dufus parody of what it once was.  Put Phil Hendrie in as the host and I'd be dead from laughter.
For all of Phil's talents I think even he would have trouble reproducing Norry's odd mispronunciations, mumbling, and Norryisms.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on April 19, 2018, 11:42:28 AM
For all of Phil's talents I think even he would have trouble reproducing Norry's odd mispronunciations, mumbling, and Norryisms.
Maybe that's just what Phil needs. A  REAL challenge. ;)  Lord knows he'd have no shortage of material.  ;D

grano salis

Quote from: albrecht on April 19, 2018, 11:41:00 AM
I recall being surprised how much they wanted for a tape at the time, like $25 or 30 I think? When Cuban's old company started internet streaming the show I wonder if digital recordings were kept? Those would lots easier to edit out songs and/or sell/distribute if iHateMedia, Inc wanted? But back then storage was still sort of expensive so they might have just broadcast the show live but not recorded?

Yes, those tapes were expensive--I would be surprised if Art didn't get a share of the profits, but then he was unusual in that making money was not high on his list of objectives, evidently.  BTW--who has a tape player anymore?

Quote from: grano salis on April 19, 2018, 11:58:28 AM

Yes, those tapes were expensive--I would be surprised if Art didn't get a share of the profits, but then he was unusual in that making money was not high on his list of objectives, evidently.  BTW--who has a tape player anymore?

Art said something like the "real money" went to Alan Corbeth when they sold everything to Premier.

ONeill

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on April 19, 2018, 08:50:45 AM
The same thing happened to Stern. He signed away all the old shows ("a shitload of money for old tapes? sure, where do I sign hoo-hoo") but almost immediately regretted it. He only got the rights back because he had leverage over CBS from a lawsuit and accepted rights from the old shows as part of a settlement

That's actually a good example, I believe Sirius digitized them all.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 19, 2018, 11:41:00 AM

Hey, there's an idea.  MV and one other BellGabber can appear on Shark Tank to extoll the virtues of acquiring all of the Art Bell shows and making them available to the public.  There could be a digital machine off to the side, busily converting one of Art's old shows for use on modern devices.  They could request $500,00 to obtain the tapes. 

One of the sharks will ask, "So how much money will this enterprise bring in, after production costs, of course."

MV will glance at his partner and say, "Oh, what do you think?  About $5,000, $6,000....a year?"

For the first time in its history all of the sharks will cry out, "I'm out!"  And the bald shark will even add, "You are dead to me, and I haven't even offered you a deal."     

Jojo

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 16, 2018, 08:14:06 AM
There is no mention of an Art Bell tribute show this week on the C2C website. They should be doing it all week, instead they are just going through their normal guest rotation. Seriously, at least do one night of Art Bell, play some clips, bring on some past guest that liked him, etc. They did an absolute best of for Art shows years back when he retired, just re-run that even.
The website on my tablet needs help.  Even when the monthly chat is Live now, the site is not real helpful.  Somethg live now shoukd have a phrase u click on, from every page!  Sometimes i can hardly find it or the site sends me in a fruitless loop.

Tricky-D

I wonder why Art Bell handed them over after taking the time to record and store them in the first place.  Ok, so the commercial use of archives were included in the sale of the show, but he might have considered holding the tapes themselves back as personal property, not assets of the corporation.
Art didn’t record the shows and never had physical possession of said tapes.
In the early day Coast to Coast AM was owned by Chancellor Broadcasting Company. Remember how Art would sometimes say “This is CBC!” before going to commercial? Art’s board at his house fed his audio via satellite to CBC’s facilities in Oregon, there was a board op there that did the final mix and played the commercials and that board’s output is what was sent to the affiliate stations. The board op in Oregon recorded all the shows there. They used to sell copies to listeners on cassette. They used them for ‘Best of Art Bell’ broadcasts. CBC was acquired by Jacor and then Jacor was acquired by Clear Channel. The Art Bell tape library is an asset that transferred with each sale.

Jojo

Quote from: mike_olsen on April 16, 2018, 09:28:56 PM
Diddo on George's exaggerated reaction when reporting Art's death. How can one have such a reaction for someone he even admits "weren't that close". It was obvious Noory was overacting to show his "beloved" audience just how a caring person he really is, even for someone who dared to criticize him (rightly so) in the past. Another reason for his reaction is noory trying to be like his great idol Kronkite, when he showed emotion over JFK's passing and breaking that over the air, but was 10 times more professional, and spared us the "i'm trying to keep my composure folks". Jeez George, can you keep it real at least once in your life?'

Another whopper was Tommee saying that Both Bell and Norry cared about their audience. You are only half right, tommee, or actually, i'll give you 3 quarters correct. WHile Bell did genuinely care about his audience, George only cares about his audience insofar as how much money he can make off of them, but nothing else!
George seems afraid of quiet on-air moments. Probably why he explained his pause.  He did kind of fall apart for a minute.  I think he cared about Art, the widow and her baby.  Ive never heard him say a bad word about Art.  Sometimes emphatic can sound like a snark even if it is not a snark.

He said chat he gives away proceeds from his three dating websites. 

albrecht

Quote from: Tricky-D on April 19, 2018, 05:45:33 PM
Art didn’t record the shows and never had physical possession of said tapes.
In the early day Coast to Coast AM was owned by Chancellor Broadcasting Company. Remember how Art would sometimes say “This is CBC!” before going to commercial? Art’s board at his house fed his audio via satellite to CBC’s facilities in Oregon, there was a board op there that did the final mix and played the commercials and that board’s output is what was sent to the affiliate stations. The board op in Oregon recorded all the shows there. They used to sell copies to listeners on cassette. They used them for ‘Best of Art Bell’ broadcasts. CBC was acquired by Jacor and then Jacor was acquired by Clear Channel. The Art Bell tape library is an asset that transferred with each sale.
Thanks for the clarification. The CBC always confused me, I wonder what folks listening in Canada thought?