• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Teachers With Guns

Started by Zenman, February 23, 2018, 02:57:53 AM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on February 24, 2018, 01:58:36 AM
Pete DeLuise, ok. But Johnny Depp was way too cute for covert work. All the girls would have a crush on him and constantly threatening to blow his ... cover

Fake news! He started out on 21 Jump Street as just that. :P

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 24, 2018, 02:00:07 AM
Somehow I knew that would get you to claw your way to a keyboard.

Johnny Depp could resurrect the dead

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on February 24, 2018, 02:03:15 AM

I heard Elon suited him up and let him drive his convertible.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on February 24, 2018, 02:03:15 AM

He needs to lay off the booze and start working out again. ;)

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Zenman on February 23, 2018, 05:21:01 PM
Except maybe for the mom whose violent, estranged husband might violate his restraining order and come over at any moment in a rage.

That's a weak argument. There are shelters women can go to and hide out. Here's one that's local to me: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20140620/pontiac-womens-shelter-haven-breaks-ground-on-new-building

They can also just get in a car and pick a direction and drive for the same amount of money it would take to buy a gun.

Zenman

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 24, 2018, 08:05:04 AM
That's a weak argument. There are shelters women can go to and hide out. Here's one that's local to me: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20140620/pontiac-womens-shelter-haven-breaks-ground-on-new-building

They can also just get in a car and pick a direction and drive for the same amount of money it would take to buy a gun.

It's good that those options are available but some folks would much rather stand their ground. For some it would be totally against their nature to let some dipshit drive them away from their home. I'd like to see those folks have the option of having an "equalizer" readily available.

TigerLily

Quote from: Zenman on February 24, 2018, 03:11:29 PM
It's good that those options are available but some folks would much rather stand their ground. For some it would be totally against their nature to let some dipshit drive them away from their home. I'd like to see those folks have the option of having an "equalizer" readily available.

A nice Smith & Wesson or Colt would be nice for the abused wife. But certainly not an assault rifle. But if hubby knows about it, she is signing her death warrant. The emotional toll on an abuse victim is often unimaginable. It seems most cops think a domestic violence call is the most dangerous type to respond to

Zenman

Quote from: TigerLily on February 24, 2018, 04:28:25 PM
A nice Smith & Wesson or Colt would be nice for the abused wife. But certainly not an assault rifle. But if hubby knows about it, she is signing her death warrant. The emotional toll on an abuse victim is often unimaginable. It seems most cops think a domestic violence call is the most dangerous type to respond to

Yes, a .357 or .45 is good. Either of those is also good for getting you to a safe-room if necessary where there's an assault rifle or shotgun stored (in case of a home-invasion, or multiple prowlers, for example).

TigerLily

Quote from: Zenman on February 24, 2018, 05:20:00 PM
Yes, a .357 or .45 is good. Either of those is also good for getting you to a safe-room if necessary where there's an assault rifle or shotgun stored (in case of a home-invasion, or multiple prowlers, for example).

Or mutant polar bear attack. You never know

Zenman

Quote from: TigerLily on February 24, 2018, 05:56:48 PM
Or mutant polar bear attack. You never know

Exactly!   ;)

(Actually, an AT4 would be better for that. It's good for a tank attack too.)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 28, 2018, 02:04:27 PM
https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2018-02-28/police-in-georgia-respond-to-shots-fired-at-high-school

A clearly well balanced and trustworthy teacher discharged a firearm in classroom today.

How long do you figure before their connection to the FBI/DNC comes out? :D

Asuka Langley

oy vey what a coincidence goyim! Teachers wont be getting guns after all please hand over your guns because only (((we))) can be trusted to do the right thing now you are all ignorant sheep that don't know what is good for you!

https://twitter.com/_omg_chondi_/status/968911408544010241

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on February 28, 2018, 02:20:30 PM
oy vey what a coincidence goyim! Teachers wont be getting guns after all please hand over your guns because only (((we))) can be trusted to do the right thing now you are all ignorant sheep that don't know what is good for you!

https://twitter.com/_omg_chondi_/status/968911408544010241

If they think this is anything but obvious then they really are insane. ::)

paladin1991

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 23, 2018, 03:05:56 AM
Also many private schools do have security.  If public schools need more money, then I'm for using taxes to pay for such staff.

Plenty of unemployed vets available.  Experienced.  Ready.   

paladin1991

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 23, 2018, 04:07:30 AM
We had several nuns that already packed assault rulers.  Pretty sure I would not have survived it if they had guns.

Ah Catholic school.  The rulers sting became sweet.  Memories.

paladin1991

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 23, 2018, 09:28:36 AM
Here is the monkey in the wrench.  Most of our schools are already severely underfunded and teachers, for the most part, make enough money to stave off poverty.  I feel that this is a job for highly trained security personnel, nothing less.  I'm not sure I am comfortable thinking about my kids in a room with 'ol Mrs. Snodgrass with a nine strapped to her ankle. thigh, and as she moves about the room, her Depends strength nylons whispering, "Go ahead, make my day."

paladin1991

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 23, 2018, 09:37:06 AM
I mean, we are not just talking about basic firearms training here, we are talking about force on force training.  Imagine all the hundreds of thousands of possible scenarios in one of these situations.  Movement, cover, multiple shooters...the list goes on.  My wife is a school based speech and language pathologist.  She's a damn good one too, but she's not ever going to be a highly skilled and effective gunfighter.

In order to be a gunfighter, you have to have been in a gunfight.  Hire the Vets, dammit! 

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on February 23, 2018, 11:06:58 AM
How schools are run, security and otherwise, should be a matter of the local community via their school board, administrators, independent school districts, etc. Nothing to do with the Federal government. The Feds should control the border, deal with Federal crimes, and alert local PD and schools if they have information (as in this recent FLA case since they, apparently, refuse to investigate that kind of threat.) The local schools should be allowed, if the citizens wish, to arm the adults in the schools, have the local PD on site, hire private contractors, determine level of training, design of buildings, campus size, or whatever. They also should be allowed to discipline and expel troublesome students, again according to local standards per the citizens views. The schools should not be run by the Feds, the Courts, etc. Effective, safe school systems, maybe using different policies, can be studied and other school systems can implement those designs, if the citizens wish.

What this guy said.  FFS, am I the only smart guy around here?  Listen to what Herr Albrecht says.  That's what ought to be done.

paladin1991

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 23, 2018, 01:03:09 PM
I would think that they would have to be "adept" to the point of being trained as a soldier.  These are teachers we are talking about.  Think about it.  Who in their right mind would take on such a tremendous responsibility and liability risk?  This IS NOT a job for a teacher, a custodian, or a friggin' lunch lady.  You need a highly trained force on force agent/soldier/security personnel.  Simply put, there are far too many scenarios/variables for a common person to comprehend and deal with.  Teachers are trained to teach.  I want a trained professional force on force agent protecting my children, not the algebra teacher.
Like maybe Vets, BJ?

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on February 28, 2018, 04:43:03 PM
Like maybe Vets, BJ?
Exactly. Trained, disciplined, have a set of skills that could be suited, integrates them into the community, someone for the kids to look up to, gives them a job, and protects the kids. An obvious solution that some Schools or School Districts could try.

Gd5150

Quote from: albrecht on February 28, 2018, 05:11:20 PM
Exactly. Trained, disciplined, have a set of skills that could be suited, integrates them into the community, someone for the kids to look up to...

In other words, anyone but a teacher.

QuoteThose who can’t...

The tiny monority of teachers who ARE self driven enough to get trained and licensed to be an armed teacher, should have the option to do so. Some already are packing.

What's the percentage of teachers that could not get a gun due to "mental illness"?

;)

Quote from: paladin1991 on February 28, 2018, 04:43:03 PM
Like maybe Vets, BJ?

Yes, they certainly would fit the bill.  I'd like to make the distinction that we are talking about vets who's ONLY priority is security...a teacher who may also be a vet has too much responsibility on his/her plate to be effective IMO.  I'd like to see a security person/force with eyes out front for the sake of possibly staving off a threat before it even enters the building.  Any thing else is a half-measure IMO. 

If you have a teacher who is willing to carry a gun and go through training could be integrated into the security detail as a secondary measure.  Something else that rarely gets talked about is emergency medical training.  How many kids have bled out in these scenarios waiting for LE/EMTs to get there?  A tourniquet, bandages, clotting agent, etc and some training could go a long way in those crucial minutes. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on February 28, 2018, 06:03:03 PM
What's the percentage of teachers that could not get a gun due to "mental illness"?

;)

Close to 100%

paladin1991

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 23, 2018, 01:41:11 PM
What else do you call engaging an active shooter other than combat?

There was a day when I would call it a rush. 

paladin1991

Quote from: StarrMountain on February 23, 2018, 01:55:20 PM
Ya know what?  I'm too old to understand this properly.  This shit didn't even exist when and where I grew up.  You guys win. :-[

It's hard to wrap your mind around, Starr.  When we were growing up it was different.  The weapons were still in our society but something has changed for the kids. 

You smash your hand with a hammer, you blame your not paying attention, not the hammer.

paladin1991

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 23, 2018, 01:58:49 PM
Yep, yep, yep.  I hear what you are saying Starr, there may be a scenario where an armed teacher could make a difference.  The thing is, I want security to be a priority, not a back up to his/her other responsibilities.  I used the example of a pudgy shop teacher, because I know a guy who fits the bill.  He's a shop teacher, he's pudgy, and he'd gladly carry a gun in his classroom. He has a concealed carry permit, and he "trains" regularly.  By trains, I mean he often goes to the range to punch holes in paper targets.  He's your typical gun shop cowboy, and likely one of the very few who would volunteer for the job as an armed teacher.  You can often find him at the gun shop, at church, wal-mart, talking "shop" to everyone and anyone who will listen.  The usual cowboy stuff...polymer vs. metal, striker vs. hammer...and the never ending caliber debate.  Puke.  He's a nice enough guy, and I like him, but I wouldn't want either one of my sons around him if things went south.  If there is going to be an armed cowboy at my kids school, it's going to have to be a REAL cowboy, not a rodeo one.  If they do this arm a half-assed teacher thing, I WILL pull my kids out.

And put them.....where?

I see what you are saying.  I even agree with what you are saying.  That's why I advocate hiring Vets.  Most of us BJ, are not Rambo.  We're just some guy or gal who did his duty and are home now.