Started by Zenman, February 23, 2018, 02:57:53 AM

ItsOver

Quote from: Gd5150 on February 23, 2018, 01:20:58 PM
An ideal world:

“Welcome to civics 101, now sit down and STFU”

Professor Norris

LOL.  More Chuck and less up-chuck.

starrmtn001

You're right.  I'll sit down, shut up, and ruminate on this.

Feb 22 2018 21:39:44
!UW.yye1fxo
Q
0c9770
People kill people.
You are watching a movie.
They want you WEAK.
SLAVE.
SHEEP.
DISTRACTION.
Q
https://qanonposts.com/

starrmtn001

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 23, 2018, 01:58:49 PM
Yep, yep, yep.  I hear what you are saying Starr, there may be a scenario where an armed teacher could make a difference.  The thing is, I want security to be a priority, not a back up to his/her other responsibilities.  I used the example of a pudgy shop teacher, because I know a guy who fits the bill.  He's a shop teacher, he's pudgy, and he'd gladly carry a gun in his classroom. He has a concealed carry permit, and he "trains" regularly.  By trains, I mean he often goes to the range to punch holes in paper targets.  He's your typical gun shop cowboy, and likely one of the very few who would volunteer for the job as an armed teacher.  You can often find him at the gun shop, at church, wal-mart, talking "shop" to everyone and anyone who will listen.  The usual cowboy stuff...polymer vs. metal, striker vs. hammer...and the never ending caliber debate.  Puke.  He's a nice enough guy, and I like him, but I wouldn't want either one of my sons around him if things went south.  If there is going to be an armed cowboy at my kids school, it's going to have to be a REAL cowboy, not a rodeo one.  If they do this arm a half-assed teacher thing, I WILL pull my kids out.

Understood.  I concede.  (I almost said conceive, lol.  Yeah, I'm too old for that too). ;D

Quote from: StarrMountain on February 23, 2018, 01:55:20 PM
Ya know what?  I'm too old to understand this properly.  This shit didn't even exist when and where I grew up.  You guys win. :-[

Not at all, ma'am.  These are just things that we as citizens, have to discuss.  It is sad that we have to discuss it. 

Every time one of these incidents happen, we hear the same 'ol arguments and lip service is given.  My wife works in education, I work in the mental health field.  Neither of these things are a priority when it comes right down to it, I assure you.  Budgets just won't allow them to become priority.

Lord Grantham

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/375284-florida-governor-bucks-nra-on-age-restrictions-in-new-gun-proposal

This seems like the sensible way to go. Expand background checks, more mental health funding, improve tipster hotlines, have a police presence on campus. Not going full wild west.

GravitySucks

Quote from: StarrMountain on February 23, 2018, 02:05:37 PM
Understood.  I concede.  (I almost said conceive, lol.  Yeah, I'm too old for that too). ;D

Practice, practice, practice

Lord Grantham

Hell, I'd personally add in expanding waiting periods to all firearms. Back when I was in elementary school there was a family with kids in several grades, so they were well known in the school. Parents were splitting up, so one day dad goes and buys a shotgun tosses it into the back of his pickup, goes to where the mom and kids were, goes "honey, come on out front, I need to talk with you". So with the kids watching from the porch they walk out to his truck where he pulls out the gun and blows off her head, then offed himself.

No one needs a same-day firearm.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 23, 2018, 02:09:11 PM
http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/375284-florida-governor-bucks-nra-on-age-restrictions-in-new-gun-proposal

This seems like the sensible way to go. Expand background checks, more mental health funding, improve tipster hotlines, have a police presence on campus. Not going full wild west.

I actually don’t care much if Florida raises the age to 21. I have issues with it at the federal level. Any gun laws should be by state.

I think it is unconstitutional at the federal level. No other rights in the bill of rights has an age restriction.

If drinking is 21, and you are going to establish 21 as the age for firearms then we need to make 21 the age for military service and for the right to vote.

=Schlyder=

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 23, 2018, 02:17:02 PM
Hell, I'd personally add in expanding waiting periods to all firearms. Back when I was in elementary school there was a family with kids in several grades, so they were well known in the school. Parents were splitting up, so one day dad goes and buys a shotgun tosses it into the back of his pickup, goes to where the mom and kids were, goes "honey, come on out front, I need to talk with you". So with the kids watching from the porch they walk out to his truck where he pulls out the gun and blows off her head, then offed himself.

...and those kids grew up to be Anne Frank,  then everyone stood and applauded.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: =Schlyder= on February 23, 2018, 02:26:53 PM
...and those kids grew up to be Anne Frank,  then everyone stood and applauded.

I don't know where those three ended up. The oldest one was a complete spaz.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 23, 2018, 02:35:39 PM
I don't know where those three ended up. The oldest one was a complete spaz.
That's the kind of trauma one doesn't come back from easily. :'(

TigerLily

I can handle guns and rifles. I have an NRA card. I am also a libtard, lemming, prog [add your favorite slur here] from evil California and have never shot a living thing but I did get a good bead on a jackrabbit once.

I have been considering the arm teachers idea.  True, a great boon to the gun manufacturers and sellers fronted by the NRA (always follow the money) but is it a reasonable deterrent to keep schoolkids safe?  And think, urban cops when they come across a gunman with an automatic rifle call SWAT. But teachers should do this?  There are so many practical considerations. What percentage of teachers should be armed? Training, etc., guns should be  locked up or strapped at all times? Costs?

And now the hard part. You're a certified strapped teacher watching the kids on the playground during recess. You hear gunshots on the other side of the quad. You tell your kids to run to homeroom and hope they get there safely unprotected while you charge toward the sounds of shooting. You see a young man with an assault rifle (you are going against him with a Glock 22, no armor except your recess whistle) firing at will who you recognize as one of your former students. "He seemed like such a quiet kid, maybe I should have reached out to him more", crosses your mind. You take aim and fire, or don't. He sees you first and fires at you while you see other kids naturally coming closer to you for protection. You shoot him and he dies. Or you die. Or other kids die. The gunman dies but you have to spend the rest of your life staying awake at night wondering if you could have saved him or more of your kids.   Turning our teachers into armed combatants is our first best solution? Seems really drastic.  How about Prevention first?

How about starting with sensible laws controlling access to automatic rifles?  Sam Zeif mentioned the laws enacted after the one and only school shooting in Australia:

... among other things, the Australian government “banned automatic and semiautomatic firearms, adopted new licensing requirements, established a national firearms registry, and instituted a 28-day waiting period for gun purchases. It also bought and destroyed more than 600,000 civilian-owned firearms, in a scheme that cost half a billion dollars and was funded by raising taxes.” The entire overhaul, Friedman pointed out, took just months to implement

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/10/australia-gun-control/541710/

starrmtn001

Quote from: TigerLily on February 23, 2018, 03:19:14 PM
I can handle guns and rifles. I have an NRA card. I am also a libtard, lemming, prog [add your favorite slur here] from evil California and have never shot a living thing but I did get a good bead on a jackrabbit once.

I have been considering the arm teachers idea.  True, a great boon to the gun manufacturers and sellers fronted by the NRA (always follow the money) but is it a reasonable deterrent to keep schoolkids safe?  And think, urban cops when they come across a gunman with an automatic rifle call SWAT. But teachers should do this?  There are so many practical considerations. What percentage of teachers should be armed? Training, etc., guns should be  locked up or strapped at all times? Costs?

And now the hard part. You're a certified strapped teacher watching the kids on the playground during recess. You hear gunshots on the other side of the quad. You tell your kids to run to homeroom and hope they get there safely unprotected while you charge toward the sounds of shooting. You see a young man with an assault rifle (you are going against him with a Glock 22, no armor except your recess whistle) firing at will who you recognize as one of your former students. "He seemed like such a quiet kid, maybe I should have reached out to him more", crosses your mind. You take aim and fire, or don't. He sees you first and fires at you while you see other kids naturally coming closer to you for protection. You shoot him and he dies. Or you die. Or other kids die. The gunman dies but you have to spend the rest of your life staying awake at night wondering if you could have saved him or more of your kids.   Turning our teachers into armed combatants is our first best solution? Seems really drastic.  How about Prevention first?

How about starting with sensible laws controlling access to automatic rifles?  Sam Zeif mentioned the laws enacted after the one and only school shooting in Australia:

... among other things, the Australian government “banned automatic and semiautomatic firearms, adopted new licensing requirements, established a national firearms registry, and instituted a 28-day waiting period for gun purchases. It also bought and destroyed more than 600,000 civilian-owned firearms, in a scheme that cost half a billion dollars and was funded by raising taxes.” The entire overhaul, Friedman pointed out, took just months to implement

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/10/australia-gun-control/541710/

You provide an excellent argument  Sister.  The one question I have is about access.  There are no limitations (not self-regulated) on illegal access whether it's a domestic black market, import or, from what I hear, the dark web.  The illegal access of firearms and the buyers and sellers is where the focus is needed IMHO.

I have been considering the arm teachers idea.  True, a great boon to the gun manufacturers and sellers fronted by the NRA (always follow the money)

Not to mention getting some cowboy to pull double-duty for the same pay...maybe a small stipend..(typical conservative move where teachers are concerned).  Said cowboy will also be systematically condemned and scapegoated when things don't go as planned.

Dr. MD MD

This was a setup by the Democrats and the FBI for gun control. Anyone one who still can't see that is either retarded or thorouighly brainwashed.

200-300 million guns in America (depending on your source).  Gun control at the magnitude of GB or Aus will never happen in America, and trying to implement such would be a catastrophic mistake.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 23, 2018, 04:11:29 PM
This was a setup by the Democrats and the FBI for gun control. Anyone one who still can't see that is either retarded or thorouighly brainwashed.

I repeat...it can't and won't happen. 

starrmtn001

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 23, 2018, 04:11:29 PM
This was a setup by the Democrats and the FBI for gun control. Anyone one who still can't see that is either retarded or thoroughly brainwashed.

Well, yeah.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Gd5150

True, a great boon to the gun manufacturers and sellers fronted by the NRA (always follow the money)

What an incredible insult. People died. People are trying to have a real discussion on this topic. And this idiot implies the motivation is to enrich the NRA. Tell that to Andrew Pollack who’s daughter was killed last week. Who’s holding it together and trying to have a real discussion, and bring everyone together to get things done that will actually make schools safer. And then you have this classic example of the divisive left in this country.

How much money does CNN make from their fake so-called “town halls” in which they screen the audience, supply the questions, and control the fake debate that isn’t a debate at all? Follow the money. How much does “big liberal media” make from exploiting violence and putting it on a loop 24/7. I’ll give you a hint; and notice I don’t need to cut and paste the information from a spoonfed lemming website, the amounts big media makes off exploiting this “news” dwarfs the NRA, big gun, big Trump.

Gd5150

Quote from: StarrMountain on February 23, 2018, 03:45:56 PM
You provide an excellent argument  Sister.  The one question I have is about access.  There are no limitations (not self-regulated) on illegal access whether it's a domestic black market, import or, from what I hear, the dark web.  The illegal access of firearms and the buyers and sellers is where the focus is needed IMHO.

Wonder if “your sister” and her lemming friends have a logical explanation for why anyone should believe a person who ignores the laws prohibiting murder would suddenly abide by laws regulating guns.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Gd5150 on February 23, 2018, 04:40:05 PM
Wonder if “your sister” and her lemming friends have a logical explanation for why anyone should believe a person who ignores the laws prohibiting murder would suddenly abide by laws regulating guns.

Kids! Dead kids!  :o

;)

Zenman

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 23, 2018, 07:59:26 AM
Not just teachers, any staff members (janitors, counselors, grounds keepers, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc.) who are legally entitled to carry a gun and volunteer should be considered.  This must be done carefully, however as the first time an armed staff member screws up, the anti-gun politicians/media will jump on the program with both feet.  The selection process of those to be armed must be judicious, their training rigorous, and overall program standards high.

Yep, good assessment, and why I'm on the fence. How do you make sure the gun carriers are competent and it's all done in the safest manner possible and such? Seems like a logistics nightmare, but still perhaps possible. You're right tho, one screw up and all political hell breaks loose.

Juan

Automatic weapons have been illegal for almost everyone since the 1930s. The AR-15 is not an automatic weapon.
Schools with ROTC should arm the instructors. They are people already trained in firearms. That’s a first step.

Zenman

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 23, 2018, 02:17:02 PM

Except maybe for the mom whose violent, estranged husband might violate his restraining order and come over at any moment in a rage.

=Schlyder=

Quote from: Juan on February 23, 2018, 05:10:12 PM
Automatic weapons have been illegal for almost everyone since the 1930s. The AR-15 is not an automatic weapon.
Schools with ROTC should arm the instructors. They are people already trained in firearms. That’s a first step.

exactly. When someone starts talking about access to automatic rifles in the gun control debate, they clearly don't have a clue what they are talking about. LOL

Zenman

Quote from: =Schlyder= on February 23, 2018, 08:10:20 AM
since 1973, Israel has armed their school teachers.  In 44 years , there has only been 2 school shootings.   There is your answer.

Maybe, but not quite that simple. That's Israel you're talking about. Every Israeli I've met has come across as a fairly no-nonsense, stable, self-assured type individual. I suspect folks are largely like that over there. Not so much around here I hate to say.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Zenman on February 23, 2018, 05:39:29 PM
Maybe, but not quite that simple. That's Israel you're talking about. Every Israeli I've met has come across as a fairly no-nonsense, stable, self-assured type individual. I suspect folks are largely like that over there. Not so much around here I hate to say.

Maybe it's because they're allowed to protect themselves that they still feel like men?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on February 23, 2018, 04:18:13 PM
200-300 million guns in America (depending on your source).  Gun control at the magnitude of GB or Aus will never happen in America, and trying to implement such would be a catastrophic mistake.
We have as many illegal aliens as Australia has people and the liberals think another law is going to do what?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Zenman on February 23, 2018, 05:39:29 PM

Thats because the ones that can’t pass the test remain here and register as democrats. Who knows why.