• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Superstitions/Wives' Tales

Started by Uncle Duke, November 28, 2017, 03:11:30 PM

Uncle Duke

I happened across a podcast out of the UK called "Urban Fantasist" a few nights ago, it appears to be a hodgepodge of ghost stories, urban legends, superstitions etc.  One segment dealt with superstitions and old wives' tales and their  possible origins.  I thought it might be interesting to discuss such things, especially those you grew up with that might not be all that "break a mirror, seven years bad luck" common.  I'll start with a few:

1)  From the show I mentioned, they said sailors were superstitious about having bananas aboard their ships.  Must be a bummer to work on a banana boat. *Day-O*

2) Years ago I worked with an elderly black gentleman (from North Carolina) who told me when he was a youngster, it was a common belief that if you stubbed your toe, your would have trouble with "white folks".  When I asked if, from his experience, this was true, he said he tried to stay away from whites as much as he could in those days.

3)  When I was growing up, my parents and grandparents always told us eating fish and drinking milk together would poison us.  This belief is still apparently widespread in various parts of Appalachia and the Southern states.

ACE of CLUBS

'Springheel Jack' ..... maybe Norge will chime in. Tell us about his interview with him.

paladin1991

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 28, 2017, 03:11:30 PM
I happened across a podcast out of the UK called "Urban Fantasist" a few nights ago, it appears to be a hodgepodge of ghost stories, urban legends, superstitions etc.  One segment dealt with superstitions and old wives' tales and their  possible origins.  I thought it might be interesting to discuss such things, especially those you grew up with that might not be all that "break a mirror, seven years bad luck" common.  I'll start with a few:

1)  From the show I mentioned, they said sailors were superstitious about having bananas aboard their ships.  Must be a bummer to work on a banana boat. *Day-O*

2) Years ago I worked with an elderly black gentleman (from North Carolina) who told me when he was a youngster, it was a common belief that if you stubbed your toe, your would have trouble with "white folks".  When I asked if, from his experience, this was true, he said he tried to stay away from whites as much as he could in those days.

3)  When I was growing up, my parents and grandparents always told us eating fish and drinking milk together would poison us.  This belief is still apparently widespread in various parts of Appalachia and the Southern states.

My Great Grandmother used to tell us not to eat watermelon and milk.  It would make us sick.  *shrug*

Lord Grantham

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 29, 2017, 07:59:19 AM
My Great Grandmother used to tell us not to eat watermelon and milk.  It would make us sick.  *shrug*

Yeah, but why would you want to?

Juan

Step on a sidewalk crack, break your mother’s back.

Africans could fly before the white man took the skill away.

Hog

Put butter on a burn. (please don't put butter on a thermal injury, 1st reaction is cold water)

Jumping up and down after your lover inseminates you is an effective method of birth control.

peace
Hog

paladin1991

Quote from: Hog on November 30, 2017, 12:46:50 PM
Put butter on a burn. (please don't put butter on a thermal injury, 1st reaction is cold water)

Jumping up and down after your lover inseminates you is an effective method of birth control.

peace
Hog

Better let Slow Kathy know about this one.