• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Camper trailors

Started by Yorkshire pud, September 19, 2017, 11:52:51 AM

Yorkshire pud

In the UK we call them caravans. House on wheels, you get the idea. Having never owned one before (stayed in a few over the years) the boss and I are thinking of getting a new one in the off season; We know which one we're getting and it has a lifetime warranty on it.

But...To those who know these things, what are the 'must do' things when owning a caravan, universal to its upkeep, maintenance, extras that you can't do without and those that were a waste of money. This could also extend to the towing vehicle. In other words the things that years of ownership have made it easier and better to own and use.

Thanks in advance.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2017, 11:52:51 AM
In the UK we call them caravans. House on wheels, you get the idea. Having never owned one before (stayed in a few over the years) the boss and I are thinking of getting a new one in the off season; We know which one we're getting and it has a lifetime warranty on it.

But...To those who know these things, what are the 'must do' things when owning a caravan, universal to its upkeep, maintenance, extras that you can't do without and those that were a waste of money. This could also extend to the towing vehicle. In other words the things that years of ownership have made it easier and better to own and use.

Thanks in advance.

You in a dirty wifebeater and the lovely Laura K with hair in curlers, a t-shirt that says Born To Bingo and track pants. You may not even be wearing pants, pud but just some decorative boxers and gym socks.  ;)

Little Hater

Usually known as travel trailers here. I've owned a few and the only serious mechanical problems I've had were wheel bearing failures, so have those cleaned and packed at least once a season.

The guy who maintains my vehicles insists 'it's all about fluids'. Change the engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant religiously to the manufacturer's 'severe duty' schedule. Cheap insurance. If you need struts and other suspension parts replaced, be sure they install zerk fittings which allow lubrication, if possible.'Lifetime lubrication' ain't.

My personal habit is to replace not-so-expensive parts at the first hint of a problem. Charge idiot light flicker? New alternator. I really don't like being stationary on the side of some god-forsaken side road.

Spend some time at the local Walmart parking lot practicing backing up and parking the trailer where you want it, so your fellow RV'ers won't laugh at you later.

GravitySucks

Thanks in advance.

PM me the details of the brand and model number and I will pass on any tips I can think of. A lot of it depends on what types of weather ranges it will be subject to. Winterization for a hard freeze can be tedious. Bug and mice infestations are the biggest concern if it is going to be parked for months at a time. And that doesn't really matter if it is parked indoors or out.  It can happen either way.

I am assuming this is a bumper pull model since you didn't ask about gooseneck or fifth wheel options.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 19, 2017, 04:36:16 PM
PM me the details of the brand and model number and I will pass on any tips I can think of. A lot of it depends on what types of weather ranges it will be subject to. Winterization for a hard freeze can be tedious. Bug and mice infestations are the biggest concern if it is going to be parked for months at a time. And that doesn't really matter if it is parked indoors or out.  It can happen either way.

I am assuming this is a bumper pull model since you didn't ask about gooseneck or fifth wheel options.

Not this one, but one like this. Its workload hasn't been decided (and won't be until its done twelve months ownership I suppose). We have looked too at the purpose made covers, not just a tarp thrown over it!

Its all aluminium construction with a synthetic roof which I appreciate is a maintenance thing as the sealant perishes over time/UV exposure. The interior is beautifully made. We like the 50's diner kind of thing.  :)

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Paradise-RV-Sales-2915092/listing/2017-Riverside-Rv-Retro-177SE-120061283

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Little Hater on September 19, 2017, 04:28:02 PM
Usually known as travel trailers here. I've owned a few and the only serious mechanical problems I've had were wheel bearing failures, so have those cleaned and packed at least once a season.

The guy who maintains my vehicles insists 'it's all about fluids'. Change the engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant religiously to the manufacturer's 'severe duty' schedule. Cheap insurance. If you need struts and other suspension parts replaced, be sure they install zerk fittings which allow lubrication, if possible.'Lifetime lubrication' ain't.

My personal habit is to replace not-so-expensive parts at the first hint of a problem. Charge idiot light flicker? New alternator. I really don't like being stationary on the side of some god-forsaken side road.

Spend some time at the local Walmart parking lot practicing backing up and parking the trailer where you want it, so your fellow RV'ers won't laugh at you later.

Cheers for all that! I really appreciate the tips.  :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2017, 05:01:39 PM
Not this one, but one like this. Its workload hasn't been decided (and won't be until its done twelve months ownership I suppose). We have looked too at the purpose made covers, not just a tarp thrown over it!

Its all aluminium construction with a synthetic roof which I appreciate is a maintenance thing as the sealant perishes over time/UV exposure. The interior is beautifully made. We like the 50's diner kind of thing.  :)

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Paradise-RV-Sales-2915092/listing/2017-Riverside-Rv-Retro-177SE-120061283

Cute model. What do you plan to pull it with?

GravitySucks

It doesn't say anything about whether or not it has trailer brakes. You should ask if trailer brakes are an option. They help a lot especially in mountains or snow. By the time you pack it up and fill the propane and water tanks you might have another 1000-1500 pounds.

I would recommend an equalizer hitch
https://www.equalizerhitch.com

Recommend at least one EXTRA spare tire. And a full size spare for your towing vehicle if it usually has one of those space savers. You don't want to be trying to pull a trailer with one of those tiny space saver spares on the drive wheel of your tow vehicle.

You want to cook outside as much as possible. The odors and grease can be a pain in the ass if you are cooking bacon & eggs every day followed by chili dogs for lunch and fried fish for dinner. Get a small stainless propane grill that you can take along and set up under the awning. Need a folding table you can set up outside as well.

I assume it comes with at least one 12 volt battery. If the batteries aren't gel batteries plan on switching them out to gel batteries at the first sign of any weakness.

Make up a small tool box with extra fuses and every type of light bulb for the trailer and towing vehicle. Your towing vehicle will probably need a heavy duty flasher relay so that your turn signals work correctly.

Get a high quality hitch lock. Both for long term storage and also for when you want to leave it at the camp ground while you drive away to sightsee or go to the store.

I carry a small porta potty for short trips so that I don't have to find a dump station for just a few gallons.  You can leave grey water in for awhile but you don't want to leave sewage in the tank.

ShayP

Oh.  BTW...Gravity knows what he's talking about.  Cheers Pud!  :D  Safe caravan journeys.  8)

GravitySucks

Last one until I know you are serious.

My trailer is parked up at my property.

The first winter I got mice and ants.

Three times per year I put those rat/mice poison cubes around underneath the trailer. About 10 cubes spread around. I get them at a feed store. I notice they are hard to find at home depot or lowes. Must have changed the laws on rat poison.

4 times per year I spray the ground underneath with one of the hose end commercial backyard bug sprays. Home Depot or Lowes. After I spray the ground, I spray the entire underside of the trailer including the wheels and everything.

I keep several of those sticky pad mouse catchers on the floor of the trailer.

Ever since I started doing that I have not had any mice or ants. The only thing I get now are tons of lady bugs and I can't figure out how or where they are getting in. This method keeps all of the chemicals outside so that I don't have to spray inside.

The AC make it hard to sleep when it is cycling on and off. That can be a bitch in a place like Texas where you need to run it 10 months per year. You may need to set the fan on manual to be able to sleep. Small, quiet oscillating fans can keep the air moving around the bed so you don't need the AC set so low.

The heater (propane) if it has it can do the same thing but usually it is not as noisy. I don't use the propane heat in mine. I have AC power so I just use a small electric heater with a quiet fan and an electric mattress pad.

Whenever possible use two people to back up. And use two cell phones to communicate instead of yelling/waving. Do it Calmly. Softly. Remember, both of you eventually have to climb in the trailer.

Depending on where you are going, a citronella candle or two may be warranted to keep the skeeters at bay.

GravitySucks

OK. One more before I forget.

Many RV parks have exterior lights that can drive you batty unless you have good shades/blinds. If the windows by the bed are just venetion blinds, you may want to fashion some small type of blackout curatins that go up with magnets or suction cups depending on the interior surface. Small curtain rods are an option for more permanent installation.

Better to plan ahead than to resort to aluminum foil and duct tape at 3am.

chefist

This is how we camped and vacationed as a kid...can it be posted here in the "trailer" thread?

akwilly

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2017, 05:01:39 PM

for a bit more you could get a nice mini winni. I personally would rather have that than a trailored rv

Yorkshire pud

Wow!!! That's a lot of stuff, okay....

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 19, 2017, 05:58:51 PM
Last one until I know you are serious.

My trailer is parked up at my property.

The first winter I got mice and ants.

Three times per year I put those rat/mice poison cubes around underneath the trailer. About 10 cubes spread around. I get them at a feed store. I notice they are hard to find at home depot or lowes. Must have changed the laws on rat poison.

4 times per year I spray the ground underneath with one of the hose end commercial backyard bug sprays. Home Depot or Lowes. After I spray the ground, I spray the entire underside of the trailer including the wheels and everything.

I keep several of those sticky pad mouse catchers on the floor of the trailer.

Ever since I started doing that I have not had any mice or ants. The only thing I get now are tons of lady bugs and I can't figure out how or where they are getting in. This method keeps all of the chemicals outside so that I don't have to spray inside.

The AC make it hard to sleep when it is cycling on and off. That can be a bitch in a place like Texas where you need to run it 10 months per year. You may need to set the fan on manual to be able to sleep. Small, quiet oscillating fans can keep the air moving around the bed so you don't need the AC set so low.

Yeah, the van has a/c it also has an automatic rain detector to shut the panel. But the advice about it cycling is great, thank you.

The heater (propane) if it has it can do the same thing but usually it is not as noisy. I don't use the propane heat in mine. I have AC power so I just use a small electric heater with a quiet fan and an electric mattress pad.

Whenever possible use two people to back up. And use two cell phones to communicate instead of yelling/waving. Do it Calmly. Softly. Remember, both of you eventually have to climb in the trailer.

Yeah, good idea!!  ;D

Depending on where you are going, a citronella candle or two may be warranted to keep the skeeters at bay.

Again, great advice.

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 19, 2017, 05:24:59 PM
It doesn't say anything about whether or not it has trailer brakes. You should ask if trailer brakes are an option. They help a lot especially in mountains or snow. By the time you pack it up and fill the propane and water tanks you might have another 1000-1500 pounds.

We're planning on getting a Volvo V70 2.5T (station wagon)..I had one in the UK before moving, and the reason was simple, it is supremely comfortable, and we both have iffy backs so need comfort. I've read that the 4X4 version isn't a good choice nor is the automatic for towing, but I suppose that depends on the weight of the trailer. Standard it is FWD, I've seen lots towing vans in the UK.

I would recommend an equalizer hitch
https://www.equalizerhitch.com

I was looking at a guy explaining those on YT. They have something similar in the UK I think...Swaying vans are scary stuff.

Recommend at least one EXTRA spare tire. And a full size spare for your towing vehicle if it usually has one of those space savers. You don't want to be trying to pull a trailer with one of those tiny space saver spares on the drive wheel of your tow vehicle.

The Volvos all come with space savers, as the standard on the year we're looking at. And are fitted with 17 inch wheels with a 245 section. Not a brilliant move and the one thing I'd pick out as form over function, as they can scrape on the inner wings on full lock.

You want to cook outside as much as possible. The odors and grease can be a pain in the ass if you are cooking bacon & eggs every day followed by chili dogs for lunch and fried fish for dinner. Get a small stainless propane grill that you can take along and set up under the awning. Need a folding table you can set up outside as well.

Yes, we'd pretty much thought outside cooking is better than it stinking like a greasy spoon café.

I assume it comes with at least one 12 volt battery. If the batteries aren't gel batteries plan on switching them out to gel batteries at the first sign of any weakness.

Yes and two propane tanks too.

Make up a small tool box with extra fuses and every type of light bulb for the trailer and towing vehicle. Your towing vehicle will probably need a heavy duty flasher relay so that your turn signals work correctly.

Yes, and I think the V70 is already wired for a hitch under the floor. But apparently the Volvo trailer loom isn't as good as the ones available from elsewhere, and naturally will cost ten times as much.

Get a high quality hitch lock. Both for long term storage and also for when you want to leave it at the camp ground while you drive away to sightsee or go to the store.

Yep...I've read that U haul hitches are recommended, and not overly expensive. The Volvo OEM is a joke with its cost.

I carry a small porta potty for short trips so that I don't have to find a dump station for just a few gallons.  You can leave grey water in for awhile but you don't want to leave sewage in the tank.

Yeah, that's something we'll leave the staff to sort out...  ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: akwilly on September 19, 2017, 06:21:18 PM
for a bit more you could get a nice mini winni. I personally would rather have that than a trailored rv

Yeah, but the boss and I want the 177. We can unhitch the van and just use the car. And mobile homes have crushing depreciation.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 19, 2017, 06:28:11 PM
I was looking at a guy explaining those on YT.

Umm...excuse me, sir?!  ???

You've got some nerve, mister!  >:(  ::)

Thanks in advance.

My advice is to skip the camper trailer, go anywhere you like, and stay in hotels.  If you're determined to sleep in campgrounds, get a tent, camp gear, and something comfortable to sleep on.

You'll be money ahead considering the purchase price, maintenance, gas, insurance, and hassle.  You won't be stuck - limited to trips within driving distance, or feel you need to always travel in that since you have it

GravitySucks

Most "first time" accidents are the result of 1 of 3 things.

1.  Not realizing how much longer it takes to stop with the trailer pushing you. This is the worst because it will ALWAYS be your fault if you rear end someone. This is where the trailer brakes help.

2.  Scrapes when pulling forward on either side of the trailer.
- Look at the geometry of the towing vehicle and trailer. When you are pulling forward with a vehicle parked on both sides of you, you can't really start turning until the trailer axle is equal to the bumper of the vehicle next to you. If you do it sooner you will clip that vehicle with the trailer on the inside of the turn.
- Now look at how much of the trailer is behind the axle. If you turn sharp, in either direction, the rear bumper on the trailer is going to swing out in the opposite direction. You will be watching the side of the trailer you can see - the inside turn, while the blind side of the bumper may end up clipping the car next to you on the outside of the turn.

3. This is just a variant of 2. Starting the turn too soon and driving over the curb on the inside of the turn. Depending on the design of that corner, you could just jump a curb, or worse yet fall into a culvert or run over a mail box.

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 19, 2017, 07:04:33 PM
Most "first time" accidents are the result of 1 of 3 things...

Oh man, sounds great.

I'd say at least rent one for the first excursion - and make it for a couple of weeks - just to be sure that's reallywhat you want to be doing.  And buy a ton of insurance.

Now I'm getting ads to repair wrecked cars.

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 19, 2017, 07:30:36 PM
Now I'm getting ads to repair wrecked cars.

Could be worse.....  I'm still mired in the Sendaverse

Bed Bugs Gone by Tonight!!!!

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 19, 2017, 07:29:22 PM
Oh man, sounds great.

I'd say at least rent one for the first excursion - and make it for a couple of weeks - just to be sure that's reallywhat you want to be doing.  And buy a ton of insurance.

I would seriously consider this advice.  I've known more than a few guys that have bought a boat, camper or a whatever and after using it a couple of times it just sits and becomes a burden.   The camper can be tons of fun and you have a whole Continent to explore - just make sure its for you and that your schedule allows for it.  Otherwise it just becomes a pain in the arse. 

akwilly

Quote from: crescent fresh on September 19, 2017, 07:35:40 PM
Empty the septic tank regularly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeskbiJjCXI
septic tank??? Haha save money and get a sweet pop up trailer and some dang beer boxes

GravitySucks

I will offer full disclosure.

I don't ever tow my trailer anywhere. It is set up as sleeping quarters up on my wooded property which is quite secluded.

All of my tips are valid based on life experiences towing all kinds of trailers all my life, but at this stage in my life I would never travel with one. 

I know people that do and they have a ball.

I think the people that do the best with them are people that are outwardly social and the kind that like to pull up a chair and chat with the neighbors to meet new people.

That's not my style.

Quote from: akwilly on September 19, 2017, 07:47:21 PM
septic tank??? Haha save money and get a sweet pop up trailer and some dang beer boxes

This is excellent advice as well, and we haven't even gotten around to WWFD, What Would Falkie Do