• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Weird Geographical Information

Started by Walks_At_Night, March 30, 2017, 07:03:02 PM

Jackstar

Taaroa

Neft Daşları / Нефтяные Камни
Neft Daşları (meaning Oily Rocks) is a settlement and offshore oil platform in the Caspian Sea 34mi from shore and 62mi east of Azerbaijan's capital Baku.

Neft Daşları is visible on the extreme right in this satellite image

Construction of Neft Daşları began to be built in 1949 by the Soviets to exploit an oil deposit under the sea, and in doing so became the world's first offshore oil platform. More platforms were built (some using sunken ships as a base to build upon) and in 1952 bridges began to be constructed to connect them to each other. By the 1960s these bridges were ~120mi in length and the settlement area grew to 7ha. Dormitories, water treatment plants, and power stations were soon built.

Today it is a fully fledged town with an average population of 2000, 190mi of streets, hotels, shops, workshops, and factories. People might recognise Neft Daşları as the site of a scene and filming location from the 1999 Bond film The World is Not Enough.

Ōkunoshima is an island in the inland sea of Japan off the coast of the city of Takehara.  It is also small at just barely a 1/4 of a square mile in size and is infested with many hundreds of feral rabbits.  Hunting the rabbits is forbidden and neither cats nor dogs are allowed on the island so they pretty much have free reign. 

The island was once home for chemical weapons manufacturing for the Imperial Japanese Army.  After the war the facilities were destroyed and the rabbits used
for testing of the weapons were kicked loose.   It is debatable that the current rabbits on the island date back to that time or if they were later installed as a tourist
attraction but there sure are a lot of them now in any event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdeX4NqvDZw

Juan

I'm reporting this thread for lack of Bellgabbic idiocy.

Taaroa

Gisborne Airport in New Zealand is one of the few airports in the world where an active railway line crosses the runway. Aircraft landing on the main runway are signaled with two red flashing lights on either side of the runway and a horizontal bar of flashing red lights to indicate the runway south of the railway line is closed, and that they may only land on the section of the runway north of the railway line. When the full length of the runway is open a vertical bar of green lights indicates this to aircraft, while rail signals on the Palmerston Northâ€"Gisborne Line instruct trains to stop.

The other airports which include a railway line crossing the runway are:
-Manakara Airport in Madagascar, crossed by the Fianarantsoa-Côte Est railway

-Bacha Khan International Airport in Peshawar Pakistan, crossed by the Khyber Steam Safari railway running to Khyber Pass (possibly now closed)

Gaiola Island is a small islet off of the coast of Naples that definitely has some bad vibes associated with it.

It was once home to some sort of weird mysterious hermit known as the "The Wizard".   After his demise a Villa was built.  However, a string of owners have had any number of mishaps:

QuoteThe series of misfortunes started sometime around the 1920s, when the then owner, a Swiss named Hans Braun, was found murdered and wrapped in a rug. A short while later his wife drowned in the sea. The villa’s next owner was the German Otto Grunback, who died of a heart attack while on the island. A similar fate befell the pharmaceutical industrialist Maurice-Yves Sandoz, who committed suicide in a mental hospital in Switzerland. Its subsequent owner, a German steel industrialist, Baron Karl Paul Langheim, was dragged to economic ruin by wild living. The island has also belonged to Gianni Agnelli, the head of Fiat, whose only son committed suicide. After his son's untimely death Gianni had started grooming his nephew Umberto Agnelli to run Fiat, but Umberto also died of some rare cancer at the young age of 33. Another owner, the multi-billionaire Paul Getty, after buying the island, had his grandson kidnapped. The island’s last owner Gianpasquale Grappone was jailed when his insurance company failed. Today, the villa is uninhabited and abandoned.

zeebo

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 18, 2017, 08:50:33 PM
Gaiola Island is a small islet off of the coast of Naples that definitely has some bad vibes associated with it. ...

That place looks really creepy and I bet you can't even get a Big Mac there.

Quote from: zeebo on April 19, 2017, 02:22:41 AM
That place looks really creepy and I bet you can't even get a Big Mac there.

Correct but have no fear Mr. Z - McDonald's Napoli Stadio Fuorigrotta is only 20 minutes off

Taaroa

Point Nemo / 48° 52′ 36″S 123° 23′ 36″W
The oceanic pole of inaccessibility (also known as Point Nemo) is the place in the ocean that is farthest from land. It is located in the South Pacific Ocean 2,688 km (1,670 mi) from the nearest land. The name "Point Nemo" is a reference to the Jules Verne character Captain Nemo, and the location was featured in the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

The area is relatively lifeless as the remoteness from land means there is little to no nutrient run-off from the coast, and the South Pacific Gyre (basically a system of circulating ocean currents) further blocks nutrients from reaching the area.

The area can also be considered somewhat of a 'spacecraft cemetery' as decommissioned satellites, rockets, boosters, and space stations are aimed at Point Nemo during reentry to prevent injury or damage to inhabited areas. The most famous of these objects is perhaps the Soviet space station Mir, which was deliberately deorbited to hit here in 2001.

Jackstar

benevolent faggotry

https://youtu.be/EgHFfkAZdng

Quote from: Taaroa on April 19, 2017, 06:57:22 AM

Some of the posts in this thread, are not getting the attention they deserve crave.

Jackstar

Quote from: Juan on April 18, 2017, 04:47:28 AM
I'm reporting this thread for lack of Bellgabbic idiocy.

I'm here to help.

Taaroa

Nan Madol
Nan Madol is a ruined city in a lagoon adjacent to the coast of Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia, consisting of artificial islands linked by canals. The core of the city contains approximately 100 of these islets and is surrounded by a stone wall.
The name Nan Madol means "spaces between" and refers to the canals, however at one point the name was Soun Nan-leng which meant "Reef Heaven".

It is believed the area began to be settled around 100AD, but carbon dating indicates the megalithic construction didn't start until 1180AD.
The city was the ceremonial and political center of the Saudeleur Dynasty which ruled Pohnpei until 1628 when they were overthrown by external invaders. It was primarily a residence for nobility and religious figures with some islands having special designated purposes such as canoe construction, food preparation, tombs, and coconut oil preparation.

There are no food or water sources within the city and during the Saudeleur Dynasty it was all brought in via boat. Following their overthrow the remaining inhabitants struggled to maintain these supplies and it's thought that this contributed to the eventual abandonment of the city

The Solovetsky Islands are a Russian archipelago located in the White Sea.   They are home to the  Russian Orthodox Solovetsky Monastery which were commissioned by St. Philip of Moscow during the reign of Ivan the Terrible and some of the best examples of ancient stone labyrinths still around.   They were also the home of the very first Soviet gulag after the revolution. 

The monastery has withstood several sieges and bombardments over the years - including a pounding from the Royal Navy during the Crimean War.

pate

hUH, my cigs and lighter are not exactly where I recall leaving the,m///

Calling the Fed...

Gonna cheat tonight.  While I've got some interesting places in mind, they'll take too much time to type up.   So I'm going to fire from the hip
and give you a place that is unremarkable geographically but has some weirdness nonetheless. 

Ossineke, Michigan [pronounced Ah-sen-neek] is a small community in northeast lower peninsula Michigan on Lake Huron.  Population is under a thousand, has a statue of Paul Bunyan with a neutered Babe downtown, couple of campgrounds and a few small businesses but nothing special.

However it is home to Dinosaur Gardens.   The Gardens were built by a guy called Paul Domke starting in the 1930's which is remarkable because there was no LSD
at that time.   Just kidding.   They are a pretty funky though.   Some of my favorites in the park aren't dinosaurs but never mind that.  As a kid, I pestered my Old Man relentlessly to take me there.  After it was over, I still remember him stopping by the Party Store and coming out with a fifth.   

Without further ado - Dinosaur Gardens

albrecht

"when engineers studied animal carvings made on a pillar â€" known as the vulture stone â€" at Gobekli Tepe they discovered that the creatures were actually astronomical symbols which represented constellations and the comet.  The idea had been originally put forward by author Graham Hancock in his book Magicians of the Gods. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/04/21/ancient-stone-carvings-confirm-comet-struck-earth-10950bc-wiping/

I couldn't find the Graham Hancock thread but since Göbekli Tepe is a weird place I posted it there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on April 19, 2017, 06:57:22 AM
The oceanic pole of inaccessibility (also known as Point Nemo) is the place in the ocean that is farthest from land. It is located in the South Pacific Ocean 2,688 km (1,670 mi) from the nearest land. The name "Point Nemo" is a reference to the Jules Verne character Captain Nemo, and the location was featured in the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

Looks like a good place to build my island fortress.  Apart from the falling space debris issue, should work well for avoiding neighbors.

Dyna-X

Quote from: zeebo on April 21, 2017, 03:01:11 PM
Looks like a good place to build my island fortress.  Apart from the falling space debris issue, should work well for avoiding neighbors.
Its where Cthulu lives. Seriously though, I've always loved the idea of a private island.

Socotra is a Yemeni  island chain  in the Arabian Sea.  It is full of unusual plant life and over a third of which is found no where else on Earth.  This is due to its isolation and that the land mass is of continental origin and not volcanic origin.  Only Hawaii, New Caledonia and the Galapagos have more unique species.

Combine an arid climate, unique plants and beautiful beaches and you have something that looks almost other worldly.

Some of the people are unique as well - from what I have read, there are female lineages with DNA markers that are found in no other populations anywhere.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 21, 2017, 07:08:34 PM
Socotra is a Yemeni  island chain  in the Arabian Sea.  It is full of unusual plant life and over a third of which is found no where else on Earth.  This is due to its isolation and that the land mass is of continental origin and not volcanic origin.  Only Hawaii, New Caledonia and the Galapagos have more unique species.

Combine an arid climate, unique plants and beautiful beaches and you have something that looks almost other worldly.

Some of the people are unique as well - from what I have read, there are female lineages with DNA markers that are found in no other populations anywhere.

When will my local nursey, or even bigbox store, get some of those trees into stock. I want some. They are awesome! (They can keep the hooded women, have enough of them moving into our countries.)

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2017, 07:55:30 PM
When will my local nursey, or even bigbox store, get some of those trees into stock. I want some. They are awesome! (They can keep the hooded women, have enough of them moving into our countries.)

Baobob trees

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2017, 07:55:30 PM

Yeah some of them look out of place without a Stegosaurus munching on them, don't they?

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 21, 2017, 08:00:03 PM
Baobob trees
Maybe some but I was talking about this one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_cinnabari
I want some!

Apparently they, or at least many, that look like them aren't Baobobs but "cucumber trees"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrosicyos

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2017, 08:07:23 PM
Maybe some but I was talking about this one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_cinnabari
I want some!

Apparently they, or at least many, that look like them aren't Baobobs but "cucumber trees"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrosicyos

Cool. Now if you could teach Meister something you can take the weekend off.

😎