• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Ongoing Climate and Weather Debate including General Weather News

Started by 21st Century Man, October 22, 2016, 12:36:08 AM

Global Cooling is occurring not Global Warming according to NASA scientist.  Sun influences climate change not man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQanWtkSDHE

Hog

Quote from: Jackstar on December 10, 2016, 07:54:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5KgYFvsW0c
Just wait until early-mid 2018, NASA will be testing 4 of the very same engines at the same time. Should make for quite the cloud and subsequent rainfall, well about 4 times as large as the cloud pictured in the vid.

peace
Hog

Tomorrow's game at Chicago's Soldier Field promises to be the coldest game ever played in that stadium with the temperature hovering around 0 degrees F. I know I'll be watching! For the record, the coldest game ever played there up to this point was on Dec. 22, 2008 when the temperature failed to get above 2 degrees.  Ah, that global warming. ::)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/record-lows-but-bears-vow-to-bear-weather-with-bare-arms/

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 17, 2016, 11:08:01 AM
Tomorrow's game at Chicago's Soldier Field promises to be the coldest game ever played in that stadium with the temperature hovering around 0 degrees F. I know I'll be watching! For the record, the coldest game ever played there up to this point was on Dec. 22, 2008 when the temperature failed to get above 2 degrees.  Ah, that global warming. ::)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/record-lows-but-bears-vow-to-bear-weather-with-bare-arms/

Because Chicago is the barometer of the fucking world. In winter, Chicago, it gets cold. Who knew?

This isn't Chicago

Ice loss spreads up Antarctic glaciers

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38256932

Or this..

Bolivia's abandoned ski resort: A sign of droughts to come?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-38235094

Or here...

Arctic sea-ice struggles to build volume
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38138132

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 17, 2016, 11:20:11 AM
Because Chicago is the barometer of the fucking world. In winter, Chicago, it gets cold. Who knew?

This isn't Chicago

Or this..

Or here...

[url]www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38138132]www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38138132]www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-38235094

Or here...

[url]www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38138132

Clearly we need a conference of Hollywood stars, zillionaires, and government bureacrats in some exotic city to which they can take their private jets (or government owned or leased ones) and dine on global cuisine and swill booze imported from places all over the world. Action must be taken now! Might I suggest that the fish course is something non-sustainable and flown by express from some remote region? The Omega-3 fatty acids will help their brains and hopefully they can come up with some scheme to stop the warming? Maybe some banker or UN-based carbon trading scheme and a new financial bubble to be exploited? Maybe some new alarmist movies and speaking tours? New taxes or regulations, those always are written to benefit some parties? Nothing wrong with some regulatory capture to stop the warming, and help a few companies or people. Regardless, start your engines and get ready to fly your jet to some resort to discuss this crucial, pressing issue!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on December 17, 2016, 11:33:09 AM
Clearly we need a conference of Hollywood stars, zillionaires, and government bureacrats in some exotic city to which they can take their private jets (or government owned or leased ones) and dine on global cuisine and swill booze imported from places all over the world. Action must be taken now! Might I suggest that the fish course is something non-sustainable and flown by express from some remote region? The Omega-3 fatty acids will help their brains and hopefully they can come up with some scheme to stop the warming? Maybe some banker or UN-based carbon trading scheme and a new financial bubble to be exploited? Maybe some new alarmist movies and speaking tours? New taxes or regulations, those always are written to benefit some parties? Nothing wrong with some regulatory capture to stop the warming, and help a few companies or people. Regardless, start your engines and get ready to fly your jet to some resort to discuss this crucial, pressing issue!

What the fuck are you talking about?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 17, 2016, 11:20:11 AM

This isn't Chicago

Or this..

Or here...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38138132

Not just cold but record cold.  I could also pull out a number of locations where the ice in increasing such as Antarctica.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum

Also many of Norway's glaciers are growing not retreating.  Mount Blanc in France has a growing glacier on it.  Greenland.  Etc., etc.

Of course the climate is always changing across the world and so it has ever since the world began.  What exactly can humans do to reverse climate trends?  I contend nothing.  Carbon taxes will do nothing to solve the problem if there is indeed such a problem.  Can we reduce our pollution to make the air we breathe healthier?  Yes, indeed and we should strive for that.  However, I don't want my hard-earned money going to a government to combat climate change.  How the hell do you really combat climate change anyway?  Climate change is natural.  You'd have as hard a time combating climate change as you would reversing the Earth's rotation.

Climate change is just an excuse for governments to grab more of your money.

Jackstar

How do you post so much text without ever using the word "geoengineering"? It's incredible!

Quote from: Jackstar on December 17, 2016, 11:48:55 AM
How do you post so much text without ever using the word "geoengineering"? It's incredible!

I love the whole idea of Genesis from the Star Trek movies but we are nowhere near capable of reproducing that in the real world.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 17, 2016, 11:46:06 AM
Not just cold but record cold.  I could also pull out a number of locations where the ice in increasing such as Antarctica.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum

Also many of Norway's glaciers are growing not retreating.  Mount Blanc in France has a growing glacier on it.  Greenland.  Etc., etc.

Of course the climate is always changing across the world and so it has ever since the world began.  What exactly can humans do to reverse climate trends?  I contend nothing.  Carbon taxes will do nothing to solve the problem if there is indeed such a problem.  Can we reduce our pollution to make the air we breathe healthier?  Yes, indeed and we should strive for that.  However, I don't want my hard-earned money going to a government to combat climate change.  How the hell do you really combat climate change anyway?  Climate change is natural.  You'd have as hard a time combating climate change as you would reversing the Earth's rotation.

Climate change is just an excuse for governments to grab more of your money.

You don't want your hard earned going to investigating and dealing with climate change? Who should pay for it then?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 17, 2016, 12:02:20 PM
You don't want your hard earned going to investigating and dealing with climate change? Who should pay for it then?

My point is there is no rational way to combat climate change.  And let us not be naive,  very little money coming from carbon taxes would go towards combating it anyway.  The governments will divert most of the money to other programs that have nothing to do with the issue.  It is a total scam.  Still, I would be interested in hearing how you would propose  to combat climate change.  So, have at it.

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 17, 2016, 11:50:35 AM
I love the whole idea of Genesis from the Star Trek movies but we are nowhere near capable of reproducing that in the real world.

I don't understand where you've taken this conversation, nor for what purpose. What do you think you're talking about?

Quote from: Jackstar on December 17, 2016, 12:32:10 PM
I don't understand where you've taken this conversation, nor for what purpose. What do you think you're talking about?

You'e the one bringing up geoengineering.  I think it is rather pie-in-the-sky at this point in human development though.

Before we do anything in our country, other countries need to take the lead to reduce their pollution.  Like China for example.  I have no earthly idea if all the smog they generate over there contributes significantly to climate change but it sure as hell isn't very good for the lungs.  Beijing makes 1970's LA look like paradise.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/under-pollution-alert-beijing-orders-1-200-factories-024222636--finance.html

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 17, 2016, 12:43:51 PM
You'e the one bringing up geoengineering.  I think it is rather pie-in-the-sky at this point in human development though.

When do you think cloudseeding was invented, and what do you think that flavor of pie is called? That's just for starters.

Quote from: Jackstar on December 17, 2016, 01:16:03 PM
When do you think cloudseeding was invented, and what do you think that flavor of pie is called? That's just for starters.

Yeah, I know about cloud seeding but I have yet to come across much evidence that it works very well. If it worked so well, then the Southwest would not have the water situation that it has now.  Plenty of clouds cross the desert during various times of the year but few produce rain.

Jackstar

Now that you've demonstrated you have no idea what you're talking about, please, by all means--carry on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZxbMaUMGw

Quote from: Jackstar on December 17, 2016, 01:23:27 PM
Now that you've demonstrated you have no idea what you're talking about, please, by all means--carry on.

So why do we still have terrible droughts?

Quote from: Jackstar on December 17, 2016, 01:23:27 PM

LOL.  The narrator sounds like he is from South Georgia not downeast Maine. 

So it's a conspiracy by the government to hold back these innovations?  Nah, I'm not buying it.  You'll have to convince me with real evidence of successful cloud-seeding not this conspiracy stuff.

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 17, 2016, 01:36:45 PM
real evidence of successful cloud-seeding

Fargo-based Weather Modification Inc. is one of the world’s largest private aerial cloud-seeding companies.

Stop being willfully obtuse. It doesn't become you. It's as "real" an industry as any other. Evidence abounds. How have you come to be a person who can't fuckin' Google??

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 17, 2016, 01:36:45 PM
this conspiracy stuff.

News conspiracy stuff is theory fake.

Quote from: Jackstar on December 17, 2016, 01:42:18 PM
Fargo-based Weather Modification Inc. is one of the world’s largest private aerial cloud-seeding companies.

Stop being willfully obtuse. It doesn't become you. It's as "real" an industry as any other. Evidence abounds. How have you come to be a person who can't fuckin' Google??

News conspiracy stuff is theory fake.

Well then answer my question.  Why do we still face harsh droughts throughout our country if it is so successful?  That's a simple question.

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackstar on December 17, 2016, 01:26:05 PM
... why wouldn't you?

This answer honestly seems sufficient. I don't see any evidence to support the notion that common altruism is gonna result in Dr. Evil choosing to set the phasers to "crop watering."

OK then. Dr. Evil is holding back the technology for 1 billion dollars.  I see. ::)

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 17, 2016, 01:45:15 PM
Well then answer my question.  Why do we still face harsh droughts throughout our country if it is so successful?  That's a simple question.
I think the cloudseeding, at least as I know, is over a relatively small area when compared to some of our droughts which are vast. The cost might be prohibitive or the technology isn't advanced enough to cover such a large area?
http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=6837140
www.wmo.int/pages/prog/arep/cas/documents/CAS-MG3_Doc_4-5_WeaModif.pdf
http://asicolorado.com/weathermod.html

We have so many parts of the country with too much water (like in the upper midwest there is almost always flooding once the ice dams and ice melts in spring. Or here in Texas where we have a drought and then a week of flooding etc.) I think we should be building more retention facilities, canals, or even pipelines to store water or move water from areas with a lot of it to parched regions, instead of simply drilling deeper and depleting aquifers faster than they can be replenished.