• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Ciardelo

I need to redo my master bathroom floor. There's some cheap linoleum in there and I want to put in a terlet with a bidet there too. It's not a huge space but I'm scared to do it. Any youtube vids or something for me sci-fi?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 11:16:12 PM
I need to redo my master bathroom floor. There's some cheap linoleum in there and I want to put in a terlet with a bidet there too. It's not a huge space but I'm scared to do it. Any youtube vids or something for me sci-fi?

Well, if you're good at measuring and cutting things it's not hard to do the plumbing if you go with PVC. The floor itself isn't too hard, again if you can measure and cut things, if you use self-stick tiles. Mine are in a basement on concrete so it wasn't a big deal. Anything more complicated you'll want to have someone do it.

I do like bidets though. I have no idea why they never caught on here.

Ciardelo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 31, 2017, 11:19:52 PM
Well, if you're good at measuring and cutting things it's not hard to do the plumbing if you go with PVC. The floor itself isn't too hard, again if you can measure and cut things, if you use self-stick tiles. Mine are in a basement on concrete so it wasn't a big deal. Anything more complicated you'll want to have someone do it.

I do like bidets though. I have no idea why they never caught on here.

It's upstairs with a wood sub-floor. I replaced the toilet once already because the old one was messed up. I'll be just dropping in a new toilet with a bidet feature and I just thought that would be a good time to redo the floor. I've seen some vids with the self-stick tiles and they make it look SO easy...I don't have have a pony-tail but I do have butter-fingers...

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 11:23:44 PM
It's upstairs with a wood sub-floor. I replaced the toilet once already because the old one was messed up. I'll be just dropping in a new toilet with a bidet feature and I just thought that would be a good time to redo the floor. I've seen some vids with the self-stick tiles and they make it look SO easy...I don't have have a pony-tail but I do have butter-fingers...

Is it an old wood subfloor? If so it would need to be smooth so you may need to use floor leveler before installing tiles. But they are pretty easy if you can cut them, but be sure the surface you stick them to is absolutely clean and expect them to take a few days to stop creaking and popping. Also expect to replace the trim, it doesn't usually like to pop off cleanly.

Ciardelo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 31, 2017, 11:28:21 PM
Is it an old wood subfloor? If so it would need to be smooth so you may need to use floor leveler before installing tiles. But they are pretty easy if you can cut them, but be sure the surface you stick them to is absolutely clean and expect them to take a few days to stop creaking and popping. Also expect to replace the trim, it doesn't usually like to pop off cleanly.

Yeah, that's the thing...it creaks and pops as it is now. I may need to replace some of it because it definitely is "squishy" underneath the linoleum in one spot. Damn but it's SO EXPENSIVE to bring in a contractor. Not to mention the hassle of having strange Mexicans roaming all about.

The floor itself is coming up on its own and appears to be just barely hanging on at the edges by the baseboards...oh yeah, the baseboards are a little fucked up too.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 11:35:25 PM
Yeah, that's the thing...it creaks and pops as it is now. I may need to replace some of it because it definitely is "squishy" underneath the linoleum in one spot. Damn but it's SO EXPENSIVE to bring in a contractor. Not to mention the hassle of having strange Mexicans roaming all about.

The floor itself is coming up on its own and appears to be just barely hanging on at the edges by the baseboards...oh yeah, the baseboards are a little fucked up too.

I'd just pull it up and replace it with good plywood then. That's even easier. No need for perfection with that one. How old is your house?

Luka Megurine

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 11:23:44 PM

I have used those and they are shit even with a clean sub floor some of the corners will pop up. And in a bathroom where water is likely to get on the floor from time to time i could see water damaging the sub-floor over years of use. I would use regular linoleum sheet in a bathroom

K_Dubb

Quote from: lukathing03 on February 01, 2017, 12:07:41 AM
I have used those and they are shit even with a clean sub floor some of the corners will pop up. And in a bathroom where water is likely to get on the floor from time to time i could see water damaging the sub-floor over years of use. I would use regular linoleum sheet in a bathroom

Agree based on watching years of my folks' relentless DIY projects.  For a rarely used guest bathroom they're ok.

Ciardelo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 31, 2017, 11:58:22 PM
I'd just pull it up and replace it with good plywood then. That's even easier. No need for perfection with that one. How old is your house?

Not too terribly. It was built in the early 70's but It was unloved for a very long time. I got a very good deal on it but it needs some rehab. For example, underneath the upstairs bath the ceiling shows signs of replacement. So I'm pretty sure it has had water problems before.

So subfloors are just plywood? I remember seeing a "This Old House" where the dudes went through and screwed the floors down after putting some baby powder in the cracks to solve squeaks...at least I think I remember seeing that. They definitely went through and screwed the floor down.

Do you think I can squeak by with a hand-held saw? I probably need to borrow or rent a table saw huh.

Ciardelo

Quote from: lukathing03 on February 01, 2017, 12:07:41 AM
Quote from: K_Dubb on February 01, 2017, 12:11:58 AM
Agree based on watching years of my folks' relentless DIY projects.  For a rarely used guest bathroom they're ok.

:sigh: well, I guess that's not that different for a small space. Perhaps sheet linoleum is the way to go. I'd love to put Travertine tile or something, but on a wood, upstairs floor I don't think that will work.

Luka Megurine

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 12:14:12 AM
Not too terribly. It was built in the early 70's but It was unloved for a very long time. I got a very good deal on it but it needs some rehab. For example, underneath the upstairs bath the ceiling shows signs of replacement. So I'm pretty sure it has had water problems before.

So subfloors are just plywood? I remember seeing a "This Old House" where the dudes went through and screwed the floors down after putting some baby powder in the cracks to solve squeaks...at least I think I remember seeing that. They definitely went through and screwed the floor down.

Do you think I can squeak by with a hand-held saw? I probably need to borrow or rent a table saw huh.

From the houses i have ever dealt with they generally have 3/4" plywood then on top of that there is 1/8" underlayment and the joints of the underlayment have to be fitted very tight with no gaps then the linoleum gets glued to it.

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on January 31, 2017, 10:52:15 PM
Hi, Logan!

I can't see your pics. :-[
Hello Starr. I was trying to do a sig in cuneiform. Guess I'll have to settle for a low res pic...  :(

Ciardelo

Quote from: trostol on February 01, 2017, 12:19:57 AM
see..and some how this is my fault

Who's the #1 poster trostol? Who? So OF COURSE, this is ALL YOUR FAULT.  >:(

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 31, 2017, 11:28:21 PM
Use two flat-bars to work off the trim. It takes some practice, but you can save some jing and the nail holes will line back up. ;)

starrmtn001

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 01, 2017, 12:19:42 AM
Hello Starr. I was trying to do a sig in cuneiform. Guess I'll have to settle for a low res pic...  :(

Thank you.  I can see them.  I just don't know what the symbols mean. :-[

trostol

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on February 01, 2017, 12:30:13 AM
It's not.  It's San Andreas fault. ::)

:o

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 12:27:26 AM

how am i still #1..i do not post that often any more lol

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on February 01, 2017, 12:29:11 AM
Thank you.  I can see them.  I just don't know what the symbols mean. :-[
That's cuneiform ASCII Art. ;D    It's supposed to be my Deep Sleep Gun firing 3 three-round bursts.  ;)

starrmtn001

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 01, 2017, 12:38:56 AM
That's cuneiform ASCII Art. ;D    It's supposed to be my Deep Sleep Gun firing 3 three-round bursts.  ;)

Oh!  Okay, now I understand.  Duh. :-[

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 01, 2017, 12:27:26 AM
Whoa- ho -ho...  Hang on just a second. I'm pretty sure Jaz is over 60,000 posts.  ;) I can't find him right now because he is using a pile of steaming shite for his username - if I remember correctly.  ;D

Ciardelo, a house from the '70s will have wood trim so you'll want to try to save as much of it as you can. All new trim is plastic, which means you'll need a tack gun to install it. You can't hammer a finishing nail through the new crap without it splitting unless you drill pilot holes first. (PITA)
(FYI)  ;)