• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2017, 10:33:46 PM
No that was last night's live show, ...
Message at the OSOM website:
"DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL,
DAVID WILCOCK WAS NOT AVAILABLE FOR HIS CALL. 
We are playing SatURDAY Night’s show again."

Ok thanxs,  fell asleep during show last night...why would ya repeat the same show 2 nights in a row...Brapppps...

trostol

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2017, 10:33:19 PM
Message at the OSOM website:
"DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL,
DAVID WILCOCK WAS NOT AVAILABLE FOR HIS CALL. 
We are playing SatURDAY Night’s show again."

he must have pulled a usb connection some how...man can't even work 2 days a week lol

Nebraska888

Quote from: Nobody on July 30, 2017, 12:49:29 AM
Is anyone else still tuned in?  Or has the last lifeboat departed the RMS Hoagland?

I wasn't aware that Hoagland was still hosting a program!!

Morgus

Quote from: AlternativeSide on July 30, 2017, 10:37:55 PM
why would ya repeat the same show 2 nights in a row...Brapppps...
Hoagie has done that before, a few weeks back...

Morgus

Quote from: Nebraska888 on July 30, 2017, 11:04:20 PM
I wasn't aware that Hoagland was still hosting a program!!
Hoagie came back for weekend shows only a few weeks ago...

Philosopher

Quote from: Morgus on July 30, 2017, 11:29:50 PM
Hoagie came back for weekend shows only a few weeks ago...

Morgy, great to see you, a light in what has become a septic tank

expat

Quote from: Nobody on July 30, 2017, 09:54:39 PM
I have heard about this 1924 event off and on over the years, but have never been able to find a detailed, definitive, and wholly trustworthy account of exactly what happened.

The error-prone Mike Bara covered this in his 2013 book Ancient Aliens on Mars (pp.53-56) At the end of an exposition of a device called the Jenkins Radio Camera, Bara showed us one of its prints. In some way that Bara doesn't make quite clear, this thing detected radio signals from Mars and made them into crude and very fuzzy images. Mike writes "Oh look, doesn't this radio transmission from Mars look like the J.K. Rowling character Voldemort"

...which is a very strange fantasy for someone who has repeatedly insisted that there's no such thing as pareidolia

PaulAtreides

Quote from: =Schlyder= on July 30, 2017, 10:13:31 PM
LOL  I run a self sufficient business.  .. unlike you,  who gets an allowance from Mommy and ...well I guess you likely don't know your Daddy, so whoever it is fucking your mom today.

I'm guessing your "self sufficient business" amounts to selling loose joints out of your mother's trailer. 

ZaZa

Quote from: Philosopher on July 30, 2017, 11:31:41 PM
Philosopher,
we need light to see turds floating in that septic tank.
don't dive please.

paladin1991

Quote from: Philosopher on July 30, 2017, 11:31:41 PM

Yeah.  That's a no shitter.  I consider Morgus one of the old guard.

Anybody interested in a "Expat science hour on WBCQ" Gofundme? Would it work better before or after OSOM?

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on July 31, 2017, 03:21:33 PM
Anybody interested in a "Expat science hour on WBCQ"

Isn't that the guy CNN threatened to Dox and exposed him as a fraud so he went into exile...

Juan Cena

Quote from: trostol on July 30, 2017, 10:52:16 PM
he must have pulled a usb connection some how...man can't even work 2 days a week lol

Robin VII  can only tolerate Hoagy for so long, then she has to throw him out of the house for a few days.

She's not as patient than the other Robins, so I assume that Dave will be searching for Robin VIII in the near future.

Nobody

Quote from: expat on July 31, 2017, 07:58:11 AM
The error-prone Mike Bara covered this in his 2013 book Ancient Aliens on Mars (pp.53-56) At the end of an exposition of a device called the Jenkins Radio Camera, Bara showed us one of its prints.

The print was probably this one:

Alas, I cannot find a larger example that would allow readers to see the so-called "faces" that appeared under the barcode-like section in the first strip. :(

Quote from: expat on July 31, 2017, 07:58:11 AM
In some way that Bara doesn't make quite clear, this thing detected radio signals from Mars and made them into crude and very fuzzy images.

The two IBM employees who put together the paper found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120306205215/http://www.n-atlantis.com/historicradio.htm

...gave a description of how the "Radio-Camera" worked in a footnote:

Quote19.  The machine was a Jenkins Radio-Camera, regularly used for recording on a long photo-sensitive paper strip five-inches wide a radio-transmitted message or news copy sent by radio directly from a typewritten paper strip in the sending machine at the broadcasting station.  In the camera a very small light source is arranged to traverse this photo strip in transverse lines, sixty lines to the inch.  The Longitudinal movement of the paper strip and the transverse movement of the light are both accomplished by an electric motor attachment, the motor being situated outside the light tight camera box.

The camera box was located in a dark room so that the camera could be opened and the paper strip put in and taken out without getting it light-struck.  The adjustment of the motor speed was such as to move the strip about an inch every half-hour.

The tiny light was attached to a radio receiving set located inside the dark room and the radio set adjusted to the longest wave length possible with this set (between 5000 and 6000 meters).

According to the description, the paper strip was supposed to feed at a rate of roughly an inch every half-hour; therefore they should have ended up with almost five feet of the strip exposed had the device worked correctly.  However, that's not what happened during the 29-hour Martian Experiment: a 25-foot strip (30-foot according to some sources) was exposed, instead, meaning that the strip cycled through at nearly a foot an hour rather than two inches.

In addition, the chap who invented the Radio-Camera (Charles Francis Jenkins) is on record as saying he believed there was an simple, earthly explanation for the signals in the last paragraph of this story from The New York Times:

Did Bara manage to leave those last two points out of his exposition?

Nobody

Anybody interested in a "Expat science hour on WBCQ" Gofundme?

Yes, provided it includes logical fallacies as well (ipse dixit in particular, as Hoagland never seems to tire of asserting that what he says is must be true simply because it came out of his mouth).

Would it work better before or after OSOM?

I vote for "after" because it would make for a much-needed antidote to Hoagland's gobbledygook (although expat is going to need two hours if he decides to address Hoagland's logical fallacies as well as his pseudoscience).

I, for one, am fascinated by how Hoagland's confidence in his embarrassing "faith-healing" sham has gone from, "Hang on, we're not sure if this works at all," to, "We are sure it works, we just don't understand how."   ::)

(This despite his dog dying, which would have been enough to convince anyone else once and for all it doesn't work.)

PaulAtreides

Quote from: trostol on July 30, 2017, 10:52:16 PM

And why he won't communicate with his subscribers via the website or facebook is beyond me.  Let's see - 8 shows for $10.  When he fucks up he should give everyone a $1.25 refund.

chefist

Anybody interested in a "Expat science hour on WBCQ" Gofundme? Would it work better before or after OSOM?

Debunkers are critics. Even when you agree with a critic on a certain point of view (say movie, tv, music, etc), they still come off as pretentious assholes with their rants.  Generally, to the point where it is clear they are obsessed with their intended targets.

Nobody

Quote from: chefist on August 01, 2017, 09:18:23 AM
Debunkers are critics. Even when you agree with a critic on a certain point of view (say movie, tv, music, etc), they still come off as pretentious assholes with their rants. 

Debunkers are people; there are The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, same as any other group of people.

I would hope anyone anyone calling themselves a debunker realises that being a debunker is not a licence to be an ass.  Also, that a debunker would do well to remember that coming on too strong can be counterproductive when you start talking to people about the ideas they hold dear.

Quote from: chefist on August 01, 2017, 09:18:23 AM
Generally, to the point where it is clear they are obsessed with their intended targets.

There are good debunkers and bad ones.  Perhaps the difference lies in being able to separate people from their behaviour and not bearing individuals ill-will?

Nobody

Quote from: expat on August 01, 2017, 09:45:20 AM
http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2017/08/another-open-letter-to-richard-hoagland.html

From your blog post:

QuoteLast March you characterized this book as "just recently completed," and you promised a free copy to Club 19.5 members.

Oh, it's even worse than that.  Follow this link:

http://bellgab.com/radio-and-podcasts/the-other-side-of-midnight-richard-c-hoagland-live-chat-thread/msg975798/#msg975798

...and you'll see a FB post from Hoagland implying that he is going to give away his "recently completed" book as a Christmas gift to club not-quite-twenty members.

QuoteBecause it is Christmas and we are close to the book release,

It appears they weren't actually anywhere near close to releasing the book, considering it is now August of the following year and there's still no sign of it.

I can only hope anyone who held a club nineteen and one-half membership last December cancelled it in January when the end of the year came and went and the book failed to materialise.

Dyna-X

Quote from: expat on August 01, 2017, 09:45:20 AM
http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2017/08/another-open-letter-to-richard-hoagland.html
For this level of delay the classy thing to do would be to send out autographed hard copies and guarantee 2 shows a week even if he did a long podcast update for one of them. Reruns aren't cutting it.

Nobody

Quote from: Dyna-X on August 02, 2017, 05:45:15 PM
For this level of delay the classy thing to do would be to send out autographed hard copies and guarantee 2 shows a week even if he did a long podcast update for one of them.

Is Hoagland the sort of chap who can be relied upon to do the classy thing?

ZaZa

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on August 05, 2017, 12:32:16 AM
Wait...is Hoagie back?

yes, with his ugly fat tranny from Japan,Michellaelle
Hoagie is tranny also -or at least a faggot 

WOTR

Quote from: ShayP on July 23, 2017, 11:13:00 PM
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye!

Cheers to all I've gotten to know over the years, and had fun with.  8)

...Be well.  :)

Hmmmm....  :(

Take a brake (or a break) and I hope to see you back here one day.  You made the Hoagland shows fun.  If not, I guess I will just say "thanks for all the fish."  ;)

Quote from: WOTR on August 05, 2017, 01:05:33 AM
Hmmmm....  :(

Take a brake (or a break) and I hope to see you back here one day.  You made the Hoagland shows fun.  If not, I guess I will just say "thanks for all the fish."  ;)

Until we meet again...good afternoon, good evening, and good night.