• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Want to prevent spying on me thru mic in my phone, laptop, etc.

Started by Caruthers612, January 30, 2017, 05:39:09 PM

Caruthers612

So I know "they" can remotely turn on or hijack the mic in my Android phone, or my laptop (I think), and listen to me, and recently it's occurred to me there might be an app to prevent this. Or at least to make them eat static when they do so. Anyone know of any such technology? I don't want the NSA to hear me commenting on the nice thighs of Japanese girls, that's strictly my business.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Caruthers612 on January 30, 2017, 05:39:09 PM
    So I know "they" can remotely turn on or hijack the mic in my Android phone, or my laptop (I think), and listen to me, and recently it's occurred to me there might be an app to prevent this. Or at least to make them eat static when they do so. Anyone know of any such technology? I don't want the NSA to hear me commenting on the nice thighs of Japanese girls, that's strictly my business.

Tune in, turn off, drop out man.

There might be some sort of "app" for that but unless you devote your time to really study security, you're probably screwed. I took a Cisco networking class "way back when" which included a tour of one of the phone company switching offices.  Even then, "way back then" there were cables going into a locked, secure area for government use. So you have to commit, use VPN and encryption point-to-point.

Are you ready to train all your friends and neighbors so they can "talk" to you? Have you looked at MV's VPN options up there? ^^^^

At the very least, put tape on your cameras.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 30, 2017, 06:10:32 PM

Tune in, turn off, drop out man.

There might be some sort of "app" for that but unless you devote your time to really study security, you're probably screwed. I took a Cisco networking class "way back when" which included a tour of one of the phone company switching offices.  Even then, "way back then" there were cables going into a locked, secure area for government use. So you have to commit, use VPN and encryption point-to-point.

Are you ready to train all your friends and neighbors so they can "talk" to you? Have you looked at MV's VPN options up there? ^^^^

At the very least, put tape on your cameras.

Yeah, I deliberately don't have a webcam connected to my desktop for that reason. As far as my laptop, I went into settings and denied the webcam access to all the different apps it is allowed to use by default; whether that will prevent a third party from hijacking the webcam (and mic) and spying on me is another question. I do use Nord VPN, though, and have the Nord app on my Android phone, though I hadn't considered that using Nord would prevent the NSA or whoever from grabbing control of the mic or camera. Do you mean that because Nord encrypts my traffic, this makes it effectively impossible to do so? And tape over the laptop webcam is something I did think of, actually. What did you mean about training my friends and neighbors in how to "talk" to me, or was that a joke?

Ciardelo

Not a joke. If you want personal communications to remain private, even if it's just recipes or something...if you really want no prying eyes your friends and neighbors need to become trained in security as you are. So your sister Sally wants to share her recipe for peach cobbler, but you don't want prying eyes, she is going to have to effectively encrypt and tunnel that recipe to you. ALL your communications need encryption, right?

4th of July pictures? Same deal. Pictures of your niece Sharon's wedding? Same deal.

I guess I'm saying YOU need to decide how "compartmentalized" your world needs to be. If people you need to talk to privately don't know how to do it, it's up to you to train them.

Jackstar

You can't stop the signal, but you can jam it. Just play this at all times and all surveillance will be neutralized.

The Man can not cope.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 30, 2017, 06:47:14 PM
Not a joke. If you want personal communications to remain private, even if it's just recipes or something...if you really want no prying eyes your friends and neighbors need to become trained in security as you are. So your sister Sally wants to share her recipe for peach cobbler, but you don't want prying eyes, she is going to have to effectively encrypt and tunnel that recipe to you. ALL your communications need encryption, right?

4th of July pictures? Same deal. Pictures of your niece Sharon's wedding? Same deal.

I guess I'm saying YOU need to decide how "compartmentalized" your world needs to be. If people you need to talk to privately don't know how to do it, it's up to you to train them.

OK, so continuing my quest for clarity here... Using Nord, my own communications/data is encrypted, but if someone else sends me an e-mail, that and any attachments are not encrypted unless they encrypt them. This leads to the following question: If that other person also uses Nord, let's say, then their outgoing data--the e-mail and its attachment in this case--is encrypted, but at some point there must be a handshake of sorts where the encryption provided to the e-mail by their own subscription to Nord ends, and the e-mail is handed off to...my ISP? My computer? What is the actual point at which I receive this e-mail and is it unencrypted at that moment? Does my own subscription mean the Nord software grabs the e-mail as it comes in and and encrypts it during this handshake? Is there a moment where it is unencrypted and thus susceptible to spying?

This leads to my next question. I am using the Nord app on my Android phone, which is a Galaxy S7. That phone uses both LTE and WiFi to connect to the internet, using smart switching to switch between them or combine them based on signal availability, as I understand it. Either way, I understand how the Nord VPN works its magic when I am connecting via WiFi, but what about LTE? Does Nord help me at all when connecting to the net via LTE?

Caruthers612

Quote from: Jackstar® on January 31, 2017, 07:41:04 AM
You can't stop the signal, but you can jam it. Just play this at all times and all surveillance will be neutralized.

The Man can not cope.

Ironically, this is along the lines of what I was thinking about, an app which, when some remote third party turns on your mic and starts listening to you, starts pumping in either white noise or really bad music (Justin, Miley, I'm looking at you.) While a fun thought, I am of course being serious. Is there no way to prevent someone from listening to you through your mic? Does Nord help you at all in this instance?

Ciardelo

I'm not an expert on Nord specifically, but let me see if I can help sort this a little.

I can say in general if you are using an "app" and the other party is using the same "app" that you might have an expectation of privacy.

BUT you did bring up an interesting point about the time when a message "drops down" from the internet provider...that point could be a problem...because you can't trust your provider to not be snooping on you.

So encryption protects against that. Even if "they" get the message, it will just be gobbly-gook. The VPN protects you from casual snooping because somebody looking at your traffic can't see what you are doing. But you are trusting your VPN provider as well because they can see where you are going and who you contact.

Some use onion routing and TOR because it's free and a good way to begin...but you're putting your trust in the end-point server to not be snooping. For some strange reason, a lot of TOR servers are in Arlington, VA. Oops, that's not good.

That's why you need encrypted messages, even if your messages get stolen, leaked or whatever, the bad guys still can't read them.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Caruthers612 on January 31, 2017, 10:21:33 AM
     Ironically, this is along the lines of what I was thinking about, an app which, when some remote third party turns on your mic and starts listening to you, starts pumping in either white noise or really bad music (Justin, Miley, I'm looking at you.) While a fun thought, I am of course being serious. Is there no way to prevent someone from listening to you through your mic? Does Nord help you at all in this instance?

We all might laugh at Jackstar® and his degenerate faggotry but he does bring up an interesting theory of privacy...being that you might be able to flood your opposition with meaningless messages trying up valuable resources.

Say you post 1000's of times a day somewhere...can anybody say with any certainty what the one special message is or aint?

Maybe you have to listen to the "Blue Oyster Bar - Loop" 30 times in to get to the "glitch" that contains the coded key to the master message? Do you have the resources and fortitude to do that? Over and over? And next time it might be different? I certainly do NOT have that kind of fortitude to withstand THAT much degenerate faggotry.

Double that with hidden memes and false flag operations...why who is to say what the truth is anymore?

Caruthers612

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 10:39:00 AM
BUT you did bring up an interesting point about the time when a message "drops down" from the internet provider...that point could be a problem...because you can't trust your provider to not be snooping on you.

So encryption protects against that. Even if "they" get the message, it will just be gobbly-gook. The VPN protects you from casual snooping because somebody looking at your traffic can't see what you are doing. But you are trusting your VPN provider as well because they can see where you are going and who you contact.

To the first point, what would be helpful here is if someone with the relevant knowledge could draw us a diagram depicting Nord's own VPN network and how and where it intersects with the general internet. If the sender of an e-mail either doesn't use a VPN or uses one other than Nord, then in both cases, wouldn't that mean that at some moment the (for our purposes) unencrypted e-mail is traveling out on the open internet before reaching me? And what is the path of the e-mail as it approaches me--does it go from the larger internet to my ISP's gateway, and then to Nord, and from there to my PC?

As to your second point, I hadn't considered that the VPN provider themselves might be snooping or even could. I thought my traffic was all encrypted so even Nord couldn't look at it, and that the lack of server logs somehow protected me from anyone, including Nord, tracing my movements around the net. If this is not true I would like to know.

And notice that we've still not solved the issue of snooping using the cell phone or laptop mic. ;-) I think I'm going to start a seperate thread for that.

Caruthers612

OK, since we failed with the first attempt, here's another effort...What I would like to start with is this: If one of you understands in detail how a third party, like the NSA, can activate and take control of the microphone in your cell phone, laptop or other device and listen to you with it, I'd be grateful for an explanation. A simple one please 'cause I'm a 'tard and all that.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Caruthers612 on January 31, 2017, 01:35:21 PM
      OK, since we failed with the first attempt, here's another effort...What I would like to start with is this: If one of you understands in detail how a third party, like the NSA, can activate and take control of the microphone in your cell phone, laptop or other device and listen to you with it, I'd be grateful for an explanation. A simple one please 'cause I'm a 'tard and all that.

"WE" failed?

I submit YOU failed by wanting spoon-fed answers. Your tardness failed you.

Nobody said it was going to be easy son.

Ciardelo

LOOK

The people monitoring you are just not going to give you the answers. Have you checked your USB ports for infections?

Ciardelo

Trying to move your question to a new thread was a MAJOR dick move. I'm done.  >:(

Ciardelo

I'll come back for one last point...

Some people pose questions about security like they are afraid of being hacked, whereas they want to be the hackers.

It's kind of a "reverse" way of trying to find out information they think in their clever little 'tard minds... I'm not saying Caruthers612 wants to hack his niece Sharon's phone, but I'm just sayin' that some 'tards do shit like that. Especially 'tards that want the easy answers...like a script or something.

People that are truly interested in security don't usually go off in a huff and create a new thread just because they didn't quite get the answer they wanted...people interested in learning will tolerate a little "around the bush" so-to-speak...speaking of bushes...I wonder if the carpets match the drapes on ol' Sharon there eh? eh? eh?

:wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:

Luka Megurine

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 02:15:24 PM
I'll come back for one last point...

Some people pose questions about security like they are afraid of being hacked, whereas they want to be the hackers.

It's kind of a "reverse" way of trying to find out information they think in their clever little 'tard minds... I'm not saying Caruthers612 wants to hack his niece Sharon's phone, but I'm just sayin' that some 'tards do shit like that. Especially 'tards that want the easy answers...like a script or something.

People that are truly interested in security don't usually go off in a huff and create a new thread just because they didn't quite get the answer they wanted...people interested in learning will tolerate a little "around the bush" so-to-speak...speaking of bushes...I wonder if the carpets match the drapes on ol' Sharon there eh? eh? eh?

:wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:

Ciardelo confirmed for baby toucher

Ciardelo

Quote from: lukathing03 on January 31, 2017, 02:19:26 PM
Ciardelo confirmed for baby toucher

Sharon is OF LEGAL AGE AND IS GETTING MARRIED!

Back to your ethereal pit of writhing cucks and horrible memes you!  >:(

/so how about it Caruthers? Is she hot?

Luka Megurine

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 02:41:47 PM
Sharon is OF LEGAL AGE AND IS GETTING MARRIED!

Back to your ethereal pit of writhing cucks and horrible memes you!  >:(

/so how about it Caruthers? Is she hot?

why is everyone here so fucking old

Ciardelo

Quote from: lukathing03 on January 31, 2017, 02:59:09 PM
why is everyone here so fucking old

Listen up!

You little fucking bastards don't know, but WE made your world. Don't make me go full Ballmer on your little Asian-loving ass you pip! We brought you into it and we can take you out just as easy chan-boi>:(

You little muther-lovers never had to work for anything. Oh, but you're great at tearing up shit, leaving light switches on...you little fuckers don't know the meaning of hard work.  >:(

Luka Megurine

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 03:09:55 PM
Listen up!

You little fucking bastards don't know, but WE made your world. Don't make me go full Ballmer on your little Asian-loving ass you pip! We brought you into it and we can take you out just as easy chan-boy>:(

You little muther-lovers never had to work for anything. Oh, but you're great at tearing up shit, leaving light switches on...you little fuckers don't know the meaning of hard work.  >:(

Ciardelo

Quote from: lukathing03 on January 31, 2017, 03:15:08 PM
Bullshit fake meme magazine

ha ha. No special "exceptions" for you chan-boi. Your goose is cooked, young man. Take you freaking chan-memes back to from whence they came to the boiling pits of sewage where they belong you freak.

You like it so much? Whay don't you move there?  Oh? Too poor? Whut a surprise. 

Wash those tattoos off your face and join the human race fucker.

Luka Megurine

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 31, 2017, 03:25:04 PM
ha ha. No special "exceptions" for you chan-boi. Your goose is cooked, young man. Take you freaking chan-memes back to the boiling pits of sewage where they belong you freak.

You like it so much? Whay don't you move there?  Oh? Too poor? Whut a surprise. 

Wash those tattoos off your face and join the human race fucker.

I would but am a dirty gaijin Nippon would never grant me citizenship, and they have shit tier gun rights.

the suffering is real