• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coffee Lovers, Voice Your Opinion!

Started by Mordred478, October 31, 2008, 02:54:45 AM

CozyRozie

Quote from: ShayP on July 15, 2017, 07:40:29 PM
When I was young Eight O'Clock coffee was the choice of the household.  I remember when we'd go to the local A&P to buy the beans and would grind them right at the checkout.  Years went by and the places I lived didn't have it available.  Eventually I found some and I decided to try it again but wasn't impressed.  Even more years went by and I saw the reinvented packaging and different flavors so I said 'what the heck, I'll try it again.'  I purchased this recently and it is pretty darn good.  :)

ShayP you are aware that dark roasted coffee causes cancer ??

Dr. MD MD

When I was young Eight O'Clock coffee was the choice of the household.  I remember when we'd go to the local A&P to buy the beans and would grind them right at the checkout.  Years went by and the places I lived didn't have it available.  Eventually I found some and I decided to try it again but wasn't impressed.  Even more years went by and I saw the reinvented packaging and different flavors so I said 'what the heck, I'll try it again.'  I purchased this recently and it is pretty darn good.  :)

It is decent coffee. One of the more underrated brands I'd say.

I was once told by someone in the know that A&P is the biggest purchaser of coffee beans in the world and so therefore gets first pick of the choicest beans. This was years ago though and so I'm not sure if it's still true.  ;)

ShayP

Quote from: th'ONE on July 15, 2017, 07:42:46 PM
ShayP you are aware that dark roasted coffee causes cancer ??

I'm fine with that.  I'm surprised I'm still alive anyway.  ShayP has done things, and still do, that could potentially cause me harm.  ;)  Some times in life you have to say "Fuck it."  :D

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 15, 2017, 07:53:59 PM
It is decent coffee. One of the more underrated brands I'd say.

I was once told by someone in the know that A&P is the biggest purchaser of coffee beans in the world and so therefore gets first pick of the choicest beans. This was years ago though and so I'm not sure if it's still true.  ;)

Definitely underrated.  And cheap!  I got that bag for $3.99.  It smells fantastic when brewing as well.

Are they (A&P's) still around?  I never see the stores anymore.  I just figured the brand was made for sale elsewhere.  I recall they started off as a tea and coffee purveyor so what was told to you may be true.  Hmmm...have to check it out.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on July 15, 2017, 08:03:15 PM
Definitely underrated.  And cheap!  I got that bag for $3.99.  It smells fantastic when brewing as well.

Are they (A&P's) still around?  I never see the stores anymore.  I just figured the brand was made for sale elsewhere.  I recall they started off as a tea and coffee purveyor so what was told to you may be true.  Hmmm...have to check it out.

No, they shut down in 2015 but before that "in 2003, A&P spun off the Eight O'Clock Coffee division (its last manufacturing operation) to Gryphon Investors for $107 million."* So, I guess the brand is still available.

*Wikipedia

CozyRozie

Quote from: ShayP on July 15, 2017, 07:59:22 PM
I'm fine with that.  I'm surprised I'm still alive anyway.  ShayP has done things, and still do, that could potentially cause me harm.  ;)  Some times in life you have to say "Fuck it."  :D

you can switch to medium roast coffee and eliminate extra cancer causing thing from your life.
medium roast coffee is not heated to such hight temperatures that turns green coffee beans into "cancer house" when heated in dark roast process.
besides medium roast coffee has much more coffee flavors in it than dark burnet charred coffee.
exactly same like with meat or bread,..but if you like it dark roast coffee enjoy it ;)

if you go to really good reputable coffee roasting houses they don't even roast beyond medium, any pro barista will tell you same thing.

but if you like it dark roast coffee enjoy it ;)  but if you like it dark roast coffee enjoy it ;)
but if you like it dark roast coffee enjoy it ;)  but if you like it dark roast coffee enjoy it ;)

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 15, 2017, 08:09:34 PM
No, they shut down in 2015 but before that "in 2003, A&P spun off the Eight O'Clock Coffee division (its last manufacturing operation) to Gryphon Investors for $107 million."* So, I guess the brand is still available.

*Wikipedia

Yeah, because I just purchased some!  ;) ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: th'ONE on July 15, 2017, 08:11:54 PM
you can switch to medium roast coffee and eliminate extra cancer causing thing from your life.
medium roast coffee is not heated to such hight temperatures that turn green coffee beans into "cancer house" when heated in dark roast process.
besides medium roast coffee has much more coffee flavors in it than dark burnet charred coffee.
exactly same like with meat or bread,..but if you like it dark roast coffee enjoy it ;)

if you go to really good reputable coffee roasting houses they don't even roast beyond medium, any pro barista will tell you same thing.

Also, there's a lot more caffeine in beans that are roasted less.  ;)

ShayP

Quote from: th'ONE on July 15, 2017, 08:11:54 PM

Talking to too many baristas causes cancer.  :D   Especially the hipster ones.  ;)   I think I have a tumor in my ear from listening to an insufferable fuckwad who had the beard, thick black framed glasses and skinny jeans.  He is a man but he appeared to look like no more than an 8 year old girl in drag.  I questioned many things that day.  Especially why it took 20 fucking minutes to toast my bagel and apply cream cheese.  >:(   The place went out of business a few months back.  Thank goodness.  8)

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 15, 2017, 08:17:02 PM

More caffeine is the last thing I need.  ;D  My spring has always been wound tight.  ;) 

CozyRozie

I'm sure you know this but just in case for those who don't,
Arabica coffee beans has almost 50% less caffeine than Robusta coffee beans.
Arabica beans are twice as expensive on the stock market than the Robusta.
Arabica beans are considered to be much superior in taste flavor than Robusta.

If you like to get blast of caffeine sure Robusta is your thing.
I switched to 100% pure high quality cacao/cocoa snorting and drinking hot cocoa drinks,
the energy blast is not as rapid as with coffee is but is much more stable and has much longer lasting effects.
And there is no more 'shakings' that coffee produces.

Not missing coffee now for solid 3 months, but I was before I started using cacao/cocoa powder.
In REAL FOOD-FAKE FOOD Thread I posted about it.

Re: REAL FOOD-FAKE FOOD
*** Ha ha ha ***
‘No Coko Loko’: Schumer calls on FDA to crackdown on ‘snortable chocolate’
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 03:22:19 AM »
http://bellgab.com/random-topics/real-food-fake-food/msg1072571/#lastPost

Gd5150

Better flavor too. I've always preferred lighter roast as to me it tastes like coffee. Whereas dark roasts just tastes burnt. And Starbucks and all the other similar chain places all totally over roast and their coffee tastes like charcoal. When I grind at home I prefer Kona beans, they're always light roast and taste amazing.

7-eleven exclusive blend is pretty good too for gas station coffee. 7-eleven really takes pride in their quality and selection. Love good gas station coffee.

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on May 07, 2017, 11:46:28 PM
I may have to look at that... I never could get into the "americano"- but maybe cold?  I bought a used Wega two group and plumbed it in after my $100 piece of crap with a pressurized portafilter blew up... then I bought a vintage vac pot for the stove and there are now three commercial stepless grinders on my counter (one is going to be sold, but I'm trying to figure out which...)

Now, this probably seems stupid considering that I never cared for coffee.  It did nothing for me in the morning, and it was not until 7 years ago that I discovered that it has a calming effect and helps slow my brain just a little.  Then 5 years ago the "vinto vino" blew hot coffee grounds across my kitchen leading to a quality replacement.  Now it is often my "before bedtime" drink... And I appreciate a quality brew.  The only problem is it takes an hour to warm the machine up.  :-[

Oh, you should try cold brewed.  I rigged up a valve to drip water into a "coffee filled" 1.5" copper pipe with a coffee filter over the bottom. It may take awhile- but it is a great change (almost no acidity and VERY smooth.) 

A cheap redneck version of:

Yes, room temp brew is deliciously smooth. 

Pros:
Less creamer needed
No fuel needed
Better for gut
Can still be heated up if you want
Less creamer means less calories and less expense
I am very fussy about filtering, but hoestly, you dont have to filter this.

Cons:
Uses a little more coffee depending on taste
Can become a rancid brew if not strained within 11 hours.
Requires a press, or a strain.

Jojo

Quote from: Gd5150 on July 15, 2017, 08:32:41 PM
Better flavor too. I've always preferred lighter roast as to me it tastes like coffee. Whereas dark roasts just tastes burnt. And Starbucks and all the other similar chain places all totally over roast and their coffee tastes like charcoal. When I grind at home I prefer Kona beans, they're always light roast and taste amazing.

7-eleven exclusive blend is pretty good too for gas station coffee. 7-eleven really takes pride in their quality and selection. Love good gas station coffee.
That is true.  I get mad because I always forget that.

Jojo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 11, 2017, 04:26:32 AM
Sounds like you need to clean the coffee maker. Some of the newer ones are very difficult to clean, especially the one cup (K-Cup) makers.
Could be bacteria build up.
Yeah, sour is a bad sign though. Even cheap beans shouldn't brew sour.

After you've had your morning pot, fill the water storage compartment with vinegar, and run it through. (It'll stink the joint up, so open some windows.)
Brew 2-3 more pots of plain water through it after the vin-e-brew has sat for an hour. (Turn off the heating element or power switch though - while it sits.)
If this doesn't help - sometimes that bacteria can be stubborn - run the juice of three full, squeezed lemons, mixed 1:1 with water through it.
The coffee filters could be imparting an odd flavor too, but shouldn't make it sour. Get the brown (unbleached) ones, if you can.
Yeah, my experience is that sour is caused by the grind (or grind residue) being wet inappropriately.  Like, try to keep the grind dry until just before brewing, so that means dont drip water over any part of the filter if you are pre-setting for the night.

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on May 30, 2017, 03:34:18 AM
Hmmm.  I decided to give it a go tonight.  I have somewhat mixed feelings.  First, I think that the roast that I am using for my espresso is probably a little light- I'm getting more citrus than sweet (I generally go for a light roast.)

the double shot was added to roughly 8 ounces of cold water and then a few ice cubes added.  Perhaps it is because I really am used to espresso, I found it to be a little weak (or, again, perhaps it is the lighter roast.)

I have some older dark roast that is now probably going on two months old that was destined for vac pot coffee.  As it is "just" getting added to cold water, I may give that a whirl.

How many ounces is the finished product, generally?
What roast is generally used?
Is the espresso added to iced water, or just cold water with ice added later?

***I'm not saying it was bad- just not quite what I had in mind for a refreshing but flavourful drink...

Crazy as it is, 5 ounces if still the industry standard for a finished cup.

Jojo

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 08, 2017, 01:39:27 PM
Depends on the coffee for me, I don't like Americanos with some of the brighter coffees third wave roasters prize for fruit and tea tones. That's some nice kit ya got. My next buy might be a Pavoni, always wanted one.

Huh, that's curious. There are some genetic polymorphisms that make some people ragey after a cup of coffee(it's a methyl donor). If I have more than 2 cups, I get jittery as fuck. Wish it calmed me lol.

Something about the oxidized coffee taste of cold brew, no matter how smooth puts me off. Every now and then I'll get a nitro cold brew from Stumptown. For regular iced coffee, Aeropress directly over ice is my fav.

Lingering espresso crema.
I think cold brew oxidizes less if you out the press as close to the top of the mess as possible.  Or use a canning jar and fill it all the way to the top to reduce oxygen.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on May 10, 2017, 11:07:00 PM
Anyone recall Nescafe's attempt for an "instant" hot coffee in a can? Around the time when Guinness introduced its 'widget' to get 'draught' beer from a can (that still around.) But this one would warm up the can when popped. You open and wait a few moments and then was hot. But never (at least where I was in Scotland) that hot, so a lukewarm.  I didn't like- too sugary/milky and it never got hot enough, though I actually like my coffee not that hot and black/bitter usually but there would've liked a bit more heat. It was a weird deal that disappeared, I think? But an interesting concept. Not sure how they did it. Highly suspect, thinking back. Wish I would've opened up can to see what the hell was in in and design.
I didn't see it.  But i drink canned coffee.  The Asian food stores sell it cheaper and blacker.

Jojo

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on May 04, 2017, 05:18:32 PM
Keurig single serve cups. Any flavor. And Sello Rojo Colombian coffee (ground coffee). Also Trader Joe's Bay Blend coffee.

People in my area cant afford too many K-cups, so the product trickles down to the food bank!

Up All Night

This was a favorite song of mine from the 1960's.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Up All Night on October 25, 2017, 11:44:56 PM
This was a favorite song of mine from the 1960's.

No youtube vid so that we can all hear why?  ???

Up All Night

Quote from: ShayP on October 26, 2017, 08:50:03 AM
https://youtu.be/LxzhBvK00cw

Now, you can wake up in the morning with some Java...

Or, you can wake up with this "Java".  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on October 26, 2017, 08:50:03 AM
https://youtu.be/LxzhBvK00cw

OK, I've heard that before. Classic instrumental up there with Baby Elephant Steps and Popcorn.  :)

Swishypants

YEP! It was hip to eat in the "European Fashion" around 7P.M. to 7:30P.M. And that coffee was marketed as more of an evening coffee. The meal was out of Food & Wine Magazine. Generally served with a glass of Franzia wine back when it really wasn't all that bad (now it's like everclear & kool-aid), and then one small scoop of Häagen-Dazs--whatever flavor was around that week--and some Eight O'Clock Coffee. Sometimes instead of ice-cream it was "After Eight Mints." I still do coffee after supper but I don't think many others still do. I remember Eight O'Clock being pretty good, but then again we were coming from 1970's Foldgers territory into the "up-scale" 80's.

paladin1991

Quote from: Swishypants on October 28, 2017, 02:55:53 AM
YEP! It was hip to eat in the "European Fashion" around 7P.M. to 7:30P.M. And that coffee was marketed as more of an evening coffee. The meal was out of Food & Wine Magazine. Generally served with a glass of Franzia wine back when it really wasn't all that bad (now it's like everclear & kool-aid), and then one small scoop of Häagen-Dazs--whatever flavor was around that week--and some Eight O'Clock Coffee. Sometimes instead of ice-cream it was "After Eight Mints." I still do coffee after supper but I don't think many others still do. I remember Eight O'Clock being pretty good, but then again we were coming from 1970's Foldgers territory into the "up-scale" 80's.

You drink decaf after dinner.  So that you can sleep later.

Me.  I'll drink a pot of coffee before bed.

pate

I have been experimenting with my own mix of whole bean coffee for years now.

Last thyme I posted in this thread my coffee mix was:

Member's Mark French Roast Whole Bean (40oz) + Pablo's Pride Gourmet Coffee, Whole Bean (2lb)

This makes a damn fine cuppa Joe.

At some point, I began adding sugar to my coffee.  Then heavy whipping cream.  One day I began adding Torani Hazelnut Syrup.  Something about my days in Germany made me yearn for Hazelnuts and I decided that maybe the Hazelnut coffee was the way to go.

I found that to get the subtle hazelnut flavor I wanted using syrup made the coffee too damn sweet, so about four months or so ago I began to search for Whole Bean Hazelnut coffee, I was looking for a non-artificially flavored Hazelnut, but have yet to find one.

To my "Member's Mark French Roast Whole Bean (40oz) + Pablo's Pride Gourmet Coffee, Whole Bean (2lb)" mix I found a bag of 8 O'clock Whole Bean Hazelnut (40oz) on Amazon (I think) and added that to the mix.  It was okay, and actually almost had the flavor profile I was looking for.  But when I ran through all that coffee about a week ago I searched for a different brand of Whole Bean Hazelnut and found on the Sam's Club website and to my delight found "Community Coffee Private Reserve Whole Bean Hazelnut (32oz)" which I then added to the French Roast + Medium Roast bean mix I make.

This is the stuff.

Community Coffee has been a standard coffee in my family for years, I was always told it was the "Official Coffee of the State of Lousianna" and my family used to import the stuff to Missouri back in the days when you could only get it down in Lousianna.  On a family trip to the ancestral homeland everyone would buy as much of the ground French Roast bricks as they could and bring them home and chuck them into the freezer.

I remember one time when I was on such a mission at Walmart I found a packaged 10-brick bale of Community French Roast and when I went through the check-out the cashier scanned the whole 10lb bale as a single 1lb brick and got 10lbs of really good coffee for $10.00 or so.  Didn't discover this until I was out in the parking lot and my older brother asked to see the receipt and pointed this out to me.  I wanted to go back in and square it with the company, but older brother played Devil's Advocate and said "Fuck 'em, their mistake;  your benefit" and convinced me to "steal" from WalMart.  I still carry a shade of guilt over that, I suppose I will have to account for that sin, among others, to god someday;  hopefully god doesn't turn out to be Sam Walton.  I digress.

Now my standard mix is:

Member's Mark French Roast Whole Bean (40oz) + Pablo's Pride Gourmet Coffee, Whole Bean (2lb) + Community Coffee Private Reserve Whole Bean Hazelnut (32oz)

I have refined my French Press brewing technique as follows:

28g Whole Bean mix, ground fine-medium
568g Water (190F +/-)
3 minute brew time

While that is brewing, goes into my coffee cup that holds 568g of coffee with room for:

2 kitchen teaspoons white granulated sugar
3 kitchen teaspoons Hazenut flavored syrup

I pour the coffee on top of these additions and my recipe leaves enough space for maybe 2-3Tablespoons of Heavy Whipping cream.

Stir and consume.  I find this mix has the subtle hazelnut flavor I am looking for but isn't overwhelmingly sweet.  IF I brew a cup without the cream,syrup and sugar the new hazelnut mix is excellent as well.

I have found that it is very important to make sure the water temperature is right at 190F.  If it is too hot it gets a bad flavor I think from some oil present in the coffee bean that liquefies at higher temperatures than 190F.  If too cold the brew comes out weak and watery and lacks flavor.

Yes, I weigh the water.  Place the French press on the digital kitchen scale, with ground coffee and bamboo stirrer and pour in the hot water from the tea-kettle.  I rarely hit 568g exact, usually end up 570-576g water but it is fun to groggily try to do "scientifical" coffee brewing first thing in the morning.

It is a lot easier to get the 28g of whole beans weighed out, put the grinder with no lid on the scale and dump beans in until it gets to 26g then add a couple beans at a time until it ticks up to 28g.

Makes an excellent, consistent approx. 20oz cuppa Joe for me every morning without too much thinking.

Njoy!

-p

Jojo

Yes, I've wondered about the ethics, too.  If their mistake was caused because I failed to present every item, then I go back in and pay.  But if they really screw up through no fault of my own, that's a hard call.  One time, Lowe's Hardware gave me a great deal.  But believe it or not, a few days later they called me on the phone and wanted to square up.  That was really weird because I hadn't done anything wrong at all.  And the difference was very small, like $2.50.  Not even worth the mileage to return to the store.  But loss prevention were the ones who called so of course I went back in and paid more.  One way of looking at it is that you might not have even known, except your brother told you.  Add in aging factors like if it's painful to get in and out of the car or go back, and then there is another quandry.  I figure if it's too painful to go back in, or if the crowd outside is rough, or if it's after dark, then I'm not doing it.

On the bright side, if you go back in, you do earn emotional karma with staff.  And, if you go back in because you failed to present an item (baskets are deep...), then you are actually doing yourself a favor because the oversight might be seen later (or presently, live) on video if security is reviewing tapes for any reason and make you look like a shoplifter.

Years ago, every computerized service in the USA had to become compatible with a federal computer system.  So, i am not exactly sure who can hack into the security cameras live.  Live law enforcement hacking into security cameras is not publicized, and does not appear to be acted on.  But I suspect it happens.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Any examples of reasons why?  I can't think of any examples right now.

And, coffee is good!  But the price of decaf is NOT!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on September 19, 2019, 11:06:08 PM
Yes, I've wondered about the ethics, too.  If their mistake was caused because I failed to present every item, then I go back in and pay.  But if they really screw up through no fault of my own, that's a hard call.  One time, Lowe's Hardware gave me a great deal.  But believe it or not, a few days later they called me on the phone and wanted to square up.  That was really weird because I hadn't done anything wrong at all.  And the difference was very small, like $2.50.  Not even worth the mileage to return to the store.  But loss prevention were the ones who called so of course I went back in and paid more.  One way of looking at it is that you might not have even known, except your brother told you.  Add in aging factors like if it's painful to get in and out of the car or go back, and then there is another quandry.  I figure if it's too painful to go back in, or if the crowd outside is rough, or if it's after dark, then I'm not doing it.

On the bright side, if you go back in, you do earn emotional karma with staff.  And, if you go back in because you failed to present an item (baskets are deep...), then you are actually doing yourself a favor because the oversight might be seen later (or presently, live) on video if security is reviewing tapes for any reason and make you look like a shoplifter.

Years ago, every computerized service in the USA had to become compatible with a federal computer system.  So, i am not exactly sure who can hack into the security cameras live.  Live law enforcement hacking into security cameras is not publicized, and does not appear to be acted on.  But I suspect it happens.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Any examples of reasons why?  I can't think of any examples right now.

And, coffee is good!  But the price of decaf is NOT!

Decaf?! What’s the point? ::)