• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Soccer thread

Started by Zetaspeak, June 14, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

Taaroa

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 25, 2018, 04:21:02 PM
Portugal has to face Uruguay next.
Hard to pick who I'd like to go through out of those two. I dislike all the diving Portugal has been doing, but I dislike Uruguay for what they did the past few cups (eg that intentional handball against Ghana).

I think I'd have to choose Uruguay only because I want to see if Suarez is going to bite someone again the longer they're in the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHv64hbCIJw

Rix Gins

I'd kind of like to see Portugal win the match against Uruguay.  I have always enjoyed watching Ronaldo play and who knows, this might be his last World Cup appearance.  I guess the guy was in legal trouble going into Portugal's first game of the tournament.  Back taxes, I believe, so he wrote up a check for something like 27 million dollars and said "Fuck this shit.  I've got some football to play."  Well, he really didn't say that...but I would have said that, if I had been Cristiano Ronaldo.

Rix Gins

Good game between Argentina and Nigeria, Argentina taking it 2 to 1.  Argentina's poor start in this World Cup could be to their advantage if, like Super Bowl contenders, they peak at the right time.

I wish I could see that Mexico - Sweden game but I am usually asleep at that time.  Still, if I happen to wake up I might turn the telly on and see what's what.  I'd like to see Sweden win it, if for no other reason than that America's failed team members are pulling for Mexico.

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 26, 2018, 08:47:51 PM
Good game between Argentina and Nigeria, Argentina taking it 2 to 1.  Argentina's poor start in this World Cup could be to their advantage if, like Super Bowl contenders, they peak at the right time.

There should be more talk on the hand ball Argentina made during the end of the game. It was almost the EXACT same scenario that went against Portugal late in their game that forced them to be tied 1-1. Both plays had a player jumping for the ball with arms extended and ball deflecting off a head onto an arm. I can't see how you call it agaisn't one team and a day later not against the other. They really wanted a name team like Argentina in the knockout stage instead of a no-name African team.

albrecht

Die Mannschaft out!!
What a crazy morning (here) of soccer. Sweden kicking Mexican butts and S.Korea beat Germany to send last time's winners home to cry into their beer.

Taaroa

Quote from: albrecht on June 27, 2018, 10:22:28 AM
Die Mannschaft out!!
What a crazy morning (here) of soccer. Sweden kicking Mexican butts and S.Korea beat Germany to send last time's winners home to cry into their beer.

Hopefully BR is next.  ;D

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 26, 2018, 08:47:51 PM

I wish I could see that Mexico - Sweden game but I am usually asleep at that time.  Still, if I happen to wake up I might turn the telly on and see what's what.  I'd like to see Sweden win it, if for no other reason than that America's failed team members are pulling for Mexico.

What a horrible time to sleep. Priorities my friend  :D An insane morning. Who would have ever guessed Germany losing and out on the group stage. You would think who ever lost between Mexico and Sweden would be done. But wow!

BTW me and Shay are screwed from our little competition which we both had Germany winning it all. All of your picks are looking really strong.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 27, 2018, 11:46:23 AM
What a horrible time to sleep. Priorities my friend  :D An insane morning. Who would have ever guessed Germany losing and out on the group stage. You would think who ever lost between Mexico and Sweden would be done. But wow!

BTW me and Shay are screwed from our little competition which we both had Germany winning it all. All of your picks are looking really strong.

Haha, yes, I missed a bunch of the morning's action though I did catch the last five minutes of Germany's loss.  It almost shocked me awake but I did manage to fall back asleep until Brazil's match.  I'm still kicking myself for picking Brazil to win the cup.  Every time Neymar takes a hit and starts rolling I think 'there goes his ankle.'  I can't see how this can continue on through the knockout stages.

Taaroa

I'm enjoying the reactions of Germans and their media. Australia got knocked out and everyone just assumed it was going to happen so had little reaction, but Germans really didn't expect it.

'Sorry mexico - today WE build the wall.'  and in the speech bubble 'But we promise to tear it down after the final whistle.'

'Without words.'

albrecht

ahh Soccer. Brings out the best in everyone. If is not "faggot" chants by Mexican fans, sectarian gestures by various players (because Balkan Wars are always fun, right YP?) Now it is Mexican tv presenters on MAJOR Mexican TV network making fun of Orientals. By the Mexicans, who despite almost specializing in femicide (they coined a new term for the Mexican passtime) and now, due to elections, political assassinations (300+ this election cycle) we are told are great people are should be allowed to come to th USA illegally. Viva Mexico! Come Across The Border!!

[tweet]1012014490894860288[/tweet]/video/1

albrecht

That French kid Mbappe was something else. Now for Uruguay/Portugal: will there be biting?

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on June 28, 2018, 09:47:53 PM
ahh Soccer. Brings out the best in everyone. If is not "faggot" chants by Mexican fans, sectarian gestures by various players (because Balkan Wars are always fun, right YP?) Now it is Mexican tv presenters on MAJOR Mexican TV network making fun of Orientals. By the Mexicans, who despite almost specializing in femicide (they coined a new term for the Mexican passtime) and now, due to elections, political assassinations (300+ this election cycle) we are told are great people are should be allowed to come to th USA illegally. Viva Mexico! Come Across The Border!!

[tweet]1012014490894860288[/tweet]/video/1

Why are you injecting politics into a thread about futbol?  You taint the purity of the game, Sir.   Pinche puto.

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on June 30, 2018, 12:16:38 PM
Why are you injecting politics into a thread about futbol?  You taint the purity of the game, Sir.   Pinche puto.

Was there any confusion on CL this weekend with people looking for a "threesome" were actually just looking for player for Hoop It Up? I recall some years ago a kid went through a window downtown going for a rebound...

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on June 30, 2018, 12:23:36 PM

Was there any confusion on CL this weekend with people looking for a "threesome" were actually just looking for player for Hoop It Up? I recall some years ago a kid went through a window downtown going for a rebound...

Heh.   Don't know about any confusions re: threesomes.  But it is time for Hoopfest.   Think I'll head over to my favorite dive b4 work today,  grab myself a bag of Dicks......hamburgers.   ;D  Going for the whammy..

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on June 30, 2018, 12:26:01 PM
Heh.   Don't know about any confusions re: threesomes.  But it is time for Hoopfest.   Think I'll head over to my favorite dive b4 work today,  grab myself a bag of Dicks......hamburgers.   ;D  Going for the whammy..

Thats right. Called Hoopfest now. Ha. Bag of Dick's. Wonder if any sexual harassmemt claims have been made over office lunch plans...

Gd5150

All hands on deck for Russia...

[attachment=1]

Gd5150

Wow. Another evil Russian shocker!

[attachment=1]

albrecht

How much vodka is going to be swilled today in Russia?  That was epic.

Rix Gins

I didn't have a dog in todays fight between Croatia and Denmark but I wanted Croatia to win when the penalty kick phase rolled around.  I don't know, it just seemed like Denmark had lots of good opportunities to score but they couldn't generate anything.  Also, their goalie thought that he was Jack Shit.  Not that that's a bad thing.

Zetaspeak

Ha there was no way that ref was going to call a penalty against Russia late in the game when the Russian dude dragged the Spanish guy down in the box.

Would anyone guess Germany, Argentina, Portugal and Spain are all before the final 8. Yikes.

Back to the Group stage. I am not sure if I should be disappointing of them breaking their honorable nation reputation when they did a very dishonorable move of playing for a 1-0 loss knowing that might be enough. Or be impressed with their nation reputation of being very good at math and knowing they will probably get through even if they lose if they kept it 1-0   :o

Metron2267

Quote from: Gd5150 on July 01, 2018, 09:56:53 AM
All hands on deck for Russia...

[attachment=1,msg1261700]

Those Russkie pigeons know who's the boss... ::)

ge30542

We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Metron2267

We shall win the freaking World Cup!

And have the NBA's T-Wolves to thank for it... ;D

Dr. MD MD

Is it over?

If not who's in the running?

P.S. I really don't care.

Metron2267

It's over as of next Tuesday. ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 03, 2018, 06:33:56 PM
Is it over?

If not who's in the running?

P.S. I really don't care.

You've got Russia, Belgium, Sweden, France, England, Uruguay, Croatia and Brazil.  These eight will play and four winners will advance.   Then the four will play and the resulting two winners will meet in the World Cup finals match.  The two losers out of that group of four will play for third place shortly before the finals match is held. 

P.S. I didn't care either until I watched a World Cup match back in 1990.  I loved the drama, the excitement, the player's emotions and the roar of the crowd so much that I haven't missed one since.  It really takes sitting down and watching a match to catch the bug.  If I hadn't have watched that one match I still might not have cared.

P.P.S.S.  The final game will be played on July !5th.