• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Element 115

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 08:51:20 PM
The 4050 has dual diaphragms aimed 180 degrees apart. So, if you had a bunch of people sitting around a mic or wanted to capture a rooms ambiance, the 4050 would have given you a more three-dimensional capture while still being a monophonic microphone. Capturing an acoustic guitar off-axis really gives it body and I would frequently record acoustic with a C1000s 45° off the fretboard aimed towards the sound hole and the 4050 about 30" away centered between the edge of the sound hole and the bridge.  I would do a couple of other things and always record two takes and create stereo imagery out of it. 

By the way, I had an old cm5 version that is no longer made and I can honestly say, even with my aged ears, I can hear a difference between the two versions and I prefer the older one. It's probably just a matter of components used in the FET.

The 4040 is like half the price of the 4050.

Sean92008

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 08:53:35 PM
Awesome, thanks for answering.  You definitely know your sound and how to capture it.

I have been lucky. I was a studio rat when I was still in high school and got to hang out with cats who were glad to share their craft, just like Art Bell did for Heather Leona Wade...

Sean92008

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 08:54:08 PM
The 4040 is like half the price of the 4050.
If you going to make money in the studio, get the best.

Sean92008

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 08:53:35 PM
Awesome, thanks for answering.  You definitely know your sound and how to capture it.
The great thing is, you can do whatever you want and experiment. That's the cool thing about it all, I was inspired by how the Beatles engineers would create new techniques.  One of the greatest things I've ever gotten was an autographed picture from George Martin. I literally have turned down a chance to go through a bunch of hassle to meet Paul McCartney but George Martin was it for me.

Element 115

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 08:59:25 PM
The great thing is, you can do whatever you want and experiment. That's the cool thing about it all, I was inspired by how the Beatles engineers would create new techniques.  One of the greatest things I've ever gotten was an autographed picture from George Martin. I literally have turned down a chance to go through a bunch of hassle to meet Paul McCartney but George Martin was it for me.

The fifth Beatle!  That's worth something!  Did you get to meet him or just acquire the signed photo?

ItsTelly

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 08:43:14 PM
If you would just take that God damn lollipop out of your mouth, you wouldn't be so mushmouthed.

Who's loves ya' baby?

I do. Anyway, the Doctor said I have an oral fixation.

My shrink said this:
https://youtu.be/rY1eXnbB1Mg

Telly

Sean92008

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 09:01:04 PM
The fifth Beatle!  That's worth something!  Did you get to meet him or just acquire the signed photo?

I was emailing his assistant who then would print my emails out to him. I was one of the first American owners of the Tascam DA-88 digital recorder.  As is often the case whenever I touch something, I found a few problems right off the bat and communicated with the company and quite a few artists about it. I also was in contact with Thomas Dolby and I think he was on CompuServe at the time. Boy, I wish I printed those emails...

In one of the emails to George Martin's office, I told him that he was such a big influence, not only for myself, but for almost everyone I was in the studio with. We would all think out loud what could we do like George Martin...  It was nice, I never asked for the autograph, but I wet my pants when I got it.

Element 115

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 09:04:37 PM
I was emailing his assistant who then would print my emails out to him. I was one of the first American owners of the Tascam DA-88 digital recorder.  As is often the case whenever I touch something, I found a few problems right off the bat and communicated with the company and quite a few artists about it. I also was in contact with Thomas Dolby and I think he was on CompuServe at the time. Boy, I wish I printed those emails...

In one of the emails to George Martin's office, I told him that he was such a big influence, not only for myself, but for almost everyone I was in the studio with. We would all think out loud what could we do like George Martin...  It was nice, I never asked for the autograph, but I wet my pants when I got it.

That's so awesome, I'm sure you framed that!

Sean92008

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 09:28:51 PM
That's so awesome, I'm sure you framed that!
I tried to attach a photo...  BellGab will have none of it.

Rockaria

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 09:04:37 PM

I have a Tascam, too, but it's tape. I'm a purist.

Robert

I just got a funny mental image from Art Bell's saying his father was "a stern-driven man".  I guess that was supposed to have been understood as "a stern, driven man".

Art sounds bombastic reading his own book.  Not at all exemplifying "the art of talk" as he usually practiced it.

Sean92008

Quote from: Rockaria on April 30, 2018, 10:05:36 PM
I have a Tascam, too, but it's tape. I'm a purist.

What was it? A 388?

I love tape saturation.

You would've loved the verbal beat down I got from Allan Holdsworth over digital recording.  I still thought I won in the big picture. . Allan was a great conversationalist, as long as his work wasn't the topic.

Bluejay

Quote from: Robert on April 30, 2018, 10:08:29 PM
I just got a funny mental image from Art Bell's saying his father was "a stern-driven man".  I guess that was supposed to have been understood as "a stern, driven man".

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 10:25:06 PM
What was it? A 388?

I love tape saturation.

You would've loved the verbal beat down I got from Allan Holdsworth over digital recording.  I still thought I won in the big picture. . Allan was a great conversationalist, as long as his work wasn't the topic.

I know he's a big deal but I've always found his playing boring and overly technical.

El Chorro

Quote from: Robert on April 30, 2018, 10:08:29 PM

Art sounds bombastic reading his own book.  Not at all exemplifying "the art of talk" as he usually practiced it.

I kind of agree. Too pompous.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: El Chorro on April 30, 2018, 10:42:37 PM
I kind of agree. Too pompous.

How's he supposed to interview himself?! You're out of your mind! :D

Sean92008

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 30, 2018, 10:35:22 PM
I know he's a big deal but I've always found his playing boring and overly technical.
Oh, he was his own worst critic.  I broke the ice by asking him about Ollie Halsall (who played on The Rutles recordings).  He lit up.  Biking, beer, gear and SoCal weather...  He was good there...  Ask him about one of his albums and it's like you killed his puppy.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 09:51:23 PM
I tried to attach a photo...  BellGab will have none of it.

BellGab sucks with that all of a sudden.

Back to Art & God. He says in this book, The Art of Talk, that he thinks the Catholic church is wrong when it comes to birth control. He feels very strongly "for" it.

I wonder how his book would change if he'd re-written it now.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Art Bell on April 28, 2015, 06:17:16 PM
However I consider you all Family and that is a whole different story

Art

"bellgab is having none of it" sounds very familiar. 🤔🤔🤔

indigoo

Quote from: Richard Groyper on April 28, 2018, 10:01:08 AM
the new Art Bell:

https://youtu.be/UIIwZsT9HEU

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 28, 2018, 10:53:53 AM
This is incredibly boring. If it is meant to be a parody (it's bad enough, I'm not sure what their intended goal was), they obviously don't have any sort of comedic timing.  Oh well, I gave it a shot.

Nice to know we're still a target here in San Diego... They know that there is a housing shortage and want to help out their buddies, the Chinese, in getting some sweet deals on some primo properties.

Oh my god, this is one of the guys from Jesus Chatline! Hilarious parody born-again christian public access show.

It's most definitely a parody. Had no idea he was up to anything...Funny to find it here.

Tricky-D

Quote from: Rockaria on April 27, 2018, 02:07:51 PM
That's REALLY Art, and I shop at that grocery store, based in Art's birth state of North Carolina.

Here is a better quality version from that company’s own YouTube channel. That is definitely Art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHQ9oo6RSY

AppealPlay

Quote from: Tricky-D on May 01, 2018, 11:11:09 PM
Here is a better quality version from that company’s own YouTube channel. That is definitely Art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHQ9oo6RSY

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE?

Hells Mole

I can't believe Art Bell died 17 days before the announcement that the original four ABBA members are recordings their first new material in 35 years followed by a tour.

Kolchak

Quote from: HumanBeing on May 03, 2018, 01:40:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDjz3-Q4v0

Listening to them trying to explain this bullshit is actually really funny. I wish it were more of a panel type situation with an actual scientist there.

AppealPlay

Art had the fashion sense of fat era Steven Seagal.

Soylentblue

Quote from: AppealPlay on May 03, 2018, 03:32:41 PM
Art had the fashion sense of fat era Steven Seagal.

Sensei Segal had better hair.