• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What are social justice warriors losing their shit about today?

Started by bateman, June 12, 2015, 06:46:40 PM

SredniVashtar

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 24, 2015, 11:45:35 AM

Yes, I'm familiar with the Decameron. It's actually an astonishing work if you think about it, it's almost as if Boccaccio was sitting around watching the black plague unfold with its flagellants, celibates, apocalyptic preachers and the like and said "these people are screwed up, I'm gonna write some sex novellas!".

I  think he got religion in the end and repented of his naughty book, sadly.

3OctaveFart

My point simply is that Shakespeare's apotheosis began after his death in 1616 and after the publication of the First Folio. He was not the rock star during his life that people think. And I don't doubt the authorship.

It is fun to kick around, though. I mean, we can't even determine what kind of education he had. None of his letters survive. We don't know what the original plays looked like. The late 1580s are a wipe. There are huge gaps in the life narrative and they have invited the conspiracy theories.

If you're into the subject you should give the book a shot. It really clarifies a lot of stuff about how he became a literary deity.

Jackstar

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2015, 09:50:49 PM
"My Muslim faith"

I totally remember that now! Open secret:

Quote from: Meatie Pie on June 25, 2015, 12:16:25 PM
we can't even determine what kind of education he had. None of his letters survive. We don't know what the original plays looked like. The late 1580s are a wipe. There are huge gaps in the life narrative

Given all that and more, I don't see why people believe he was a discrete individual at all.

Quoteand they have invited the conspiracy theories.

analyses

3OctaveFart

Church records reflect his baptism. He was a guy. But WTF was he doing from 1585-92? Prime years of youth and vitality? That is what is mystifying.

3OctaveFart

Then what would be persuasive. The skeleton of his life is as complete as any Elizabethan artist. It's the details that are missing.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: onan on June 25, 2015, 07:23:46 AM
I have never heard anyone say, "my point of view is not as good as yours."

Funny enough Onan, I have. I ran into a guy in Jamaica that wanted the British back. He made the case that it's just been a down hill slide into corruption ever since independence and at this point all the Jamaican government cares about are the resorts. My natural reaction was to reject any idea of neocolonialism, but I had to acknowledge that he had a good point.

That's nothin', I was in Brussels buying some bread from this guy. The dude was 6'4" and full of muscle. So, I asked him, "do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and handed me a vegemite sandwich. Go figure.

Quick Karl

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 25, 2015, 01:33:22 PM
That's nothin', I was in Brussels buying some bread from this guy. The dude was 6'4" and full of muscle. So, I asked him, "do you speak-a my language?" He just smiled and handed me a vegemite sandwich. Go figure.

Did you come from a land down under?

albrecht

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 25, 2015, 12:53:11 PM
Funny enough Onan, I have. I ran into a guy in Jamaica that wanted the British back. He made the case that it's just been a down hill slide into corruption ever since independence and at this point all the Jamaican government cares about are the resorts. My natural reaction was to reject any idea of neocolonialism, but I had to acknowledge that he had a good point.
I've heard several (even non-whites) people say the same about Zimbabwe and South Africa, though South Africa is improving, slightly, it was still much better off, even for the blacks, in terms of employment, diseases, HIV/AIDS, immigration problems and riots, crime rate, economic productivity, etc under the old regime and even under apartheid. Rhodesia, which once fed much of Africa, has turned into a basket-case that is called Zimbabwe.

There is a price of freedom- and it isn't always good, at least initially. Every so often such quotes will bypass the censors and even pop-up on the BBC and in the press. I recall one story about black veteran celebrating a reunion with some elite former Rhodesian forces, which were white, and visiting a memorial. People forget many blacks also fought against the communists and terrorists.

Eddie Coyle

Ben Affleck is an abysmal actor and director. But he should be lauded for killing that vanity series that PBS gave Skip Gates. Good work, kid!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Meatie Pie on June 25, 2015, 12:16:25 PM
My point simply is that Shakespeare's apotheosis began after his death in 1616 and after the publication of the First Folio. He was not the rock star during his life that people think. And I don't doubt the authorship.

It is fun to kick around, though. I mean, we can't even determine what kind of education he had. None of his letters survive. We don't know what the original plays looked like. The late 1580s are a wipe. There are huge gaps in the life narrative and they have invited the conspiracy theories.

If you're into the subject you should give the book a shot. It really clarifies a lot of stuff about how he became a literary deity.

I find this stuff fascinating for all sorts of reasons, and thank you for pointing out a few things that I wasn't aware of before.

I totally agree about him not being a rock star at the time, but I disagree with you that he was not a major figure. After all, this was a man who put on plays that were heard by monarchs throughout his working life. That hardly sounds like a nonentity to me.

I think theories about Shakespeare's alleged minor status arise from the fact that there was such a lot of competition from people like Marlowe, Jonson, Middleton, Dekker, etc, but also because playwrights were, and remain, pretty low down the totem pole when it comes to literary celebrity. I was going to say before that there might not have been many people at his funeral simply because he had gone out of fashion and the new guys were doing their thing with Jacobean revenge plays and his stuff seemed old hat. Have a look at the people who were writing about the same time as WS, and it is amazing how many of them died in poverty. Apart from Marlowe, who was lucky enough to get himself stabbed through the eye instead.

As for the lack of recorded evidence. Well, as they say, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But we have plenty of evidence from contemporaries like Meres, Jonson, Greene (who wrote a bitchy piece about him stealing from more educated writers) that he was a considerable figure. The whole Anti-Stratfordian stuff is just total bloody nonsense in my opinion. If you haven't seen the film Anonymous I would 'recommend' it, if only to see how demented this stuff can get. The acting is often (especially by the younger ones) diabolically shitty, and they make the facts up as they go along, but it is worthwhile, in a bizarre kind of way.

Finally, you are totally correct about the acclaim Shakespeare got as being relatively recent. The whole Bardolatry thing began in the 18th century. I happen to know a little bit about this because I live a short walk away from a Greek temple dedicated to 'The Genius of Shakespeare', commissioned by the actor David Garrick, who was the man chiefly responsible for kick-starting the way we see the man today.

Anyway, I have gone on too long. Thanks for the book recommendation. I shall have a look  :)

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on July 12, 2015, 10:35:58 AM

Apparently even a visit to a flea market is fraught with danger.

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/offended-flea-market-shopper-calls-911-over-confederate-merchandise/
Weird. I never called the police about the counterfeit items, fake ids, likely stolen tools, or dog and cock fighting videos/dvds sold in flea markets near me that seem to be popular with illegals. But, they probably have a free pass on that kind of stuff considering their status. I'm outraged I tells ya! Calling 911 now!

People of all stripes are offended by stuff, it's not just those liberal "social justice" warriors to which this thread is devoted.  For instance, back when I was in law enforcement (13 years),  I had a postcard taped up on my office door.  It was a reproduction of Rafael's two cherubs sitting there wistfully.  The painting had been altered, however, so that one cherub held a cigarette and the other a mug of beer (picture a pair of pudgy babies in a bar).  Someone took down the picture and put it in the trashcan.  I put it back up with lots more tape.  It was taken down and torn up.  Someone's delicate fee-fees were clearly offended. 

I don't like PC horseshit.  I readily acknowledge that swathes of  the populace are professional pearl-clutchers standing over fainting couches just waiting to be offended.  But they come in all stripes socially and politically.

pyewacket

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 12, 2015, 11:16:36 AM
People of all stripes are offended by stuff, it's not just those liberal "social justice" warriors to which this thread is devoted.  For instance, back when I was in law enforcement (13 years),  I had a postcard taped up on my office door.  It was a reproduction of Rafael's two cherubs sitting there wistfully.  The painting had been altered, however, so that one cherub held a cigarette and the other a mug of beer (picture a pair of pudgy babies in a bar).  Someone took down the picture and put it in the trashcan.  I put it back up with lots more tape.  It was taken down and torn up.  Someone's delicate fee-fees were clearly offended. 

I don't like PC horseshit.  I readily acknowledge that swathes of  the populace are professional pearl-clutchers standing over fainting couches just waiting to be offended.  But they come in all stripes socially and politically.

Hi West! Haven't seen you around for awhile. Yes, the constantly offended come from many different groups. It all seems to be a waste of time and energy that could be better directed to something that will actually produce positive results. trouble is- we've become a society full of self righteous, narcissistic people looking for something to be outraged about. If one group's outrage is getting attention- other groups need to remind us all of their hurt feelings and outrage.

Hey, my favorite fictional Wiccan feline, how are yuuuuu?  Sadly, political discussion is often now a bloodsport.  I had someone state that he hoped my family and I would die because I said something he no likee in this forum.  When it is not fun here or it becomes unrewarding, I go into lurk mode for a time.  I hope all is well with you.

Quote from: albrecht on July 12, 2015, 10:43:54 AM
Weird. I never called the police about the counterfeit items, fake ids, likely stolen tools, or dog and cock fighting videos/dvds sold in flea markets near me that seem to be popular with illegals. But, they probably have a free pass on that kind of stuff considering their status. I'm outraged I tells ya! Calling 911 now!
I smell bullshit on this one so bad. I thought I was reading a story about a woman seeing this and calling the cops due to the crying and drama and whatnot. It was a man doing this? LOL, this dude tried to pull a con and has an obvious... agenda. What a crock of shit and petty little person this individual is.

Chine

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 12, 2015, 11:53:40 AM
Hey, my favorite fictional Wiccan feline, how are yuuuuu?  Sadly, political discussion is often now a bloodsport.  I had someone state that he hoped my family and I would die because I said something he no likee in this forum.  When it is not fun here or it becomes unrewarding, I go into lurk mode for a time.  I hope all is well with you.

Wiccan Feline. I like that. Heh. Waving to both of you, Pye and Westie. Glancing at tidbits here and there.

Glancing right back, Chine... What breed of dog is that long-snouted thing smooching your avatar?

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 12, 2015, 11:16:36 AM

You're absolutely right about the "pearl-clutchers" (LMAO) being of all stripes, Westie!  I live in a college town and have had to endure it from the extreme left for decades, but at the same time Fox News wouldn't exist if it weren't fueled by 'round the clock butt hurt of epic proportions.  I expect whining from liberal weenies, but it really grates when it comes from those who claim to be tough, self-reliant, rugged individuals.

BTW, I used to have that same cherub poster in my rec room until I accidentally tore it one day when I got the silly idea to actually do some cleaning down there.  That won't happen again...

Hope all's well with you!  I've been mostly lurking lately, too, and it's very relaxing.  Cheers!

Chine

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 12, 2015, 01:14:14 PM
Glancing right back, Chine... What breed of dog is that long-snouted thing smooching your avatar?

That is a Saluki (they are Sighthounds) and her name is Katniss. This was at a big dog show weekend where I snapped a selfie of us.

pyewacket

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 12, 2015, 11:53:40 AM

I'm just fine, West, thank you for asking. I hope all is well with you, too. I rarely venture into the political threads, but once in awhile a thread like this catches my interest. I'm sorry to hear that someone was hateful to you over an opinion. Sad to see that people can't get past that rigid sort of mindset and be verbally abusive.

Join in on friendlier threads and share our excitement in Art's return! Pick a badge and take your place in the Scorpion Army! How do we sign up for that? I assume Fort Rock is in charge of recruits.  :)

pyewacket

Quote from: Chine on July 12, 2015, 12:45:21 PM
Wiccan Feline. I like that. Heh. Waving to both of you, Pye and Westie. Glancing at tidbits here and there.

Hi Chine- I've been enjoying your artwork. Katniss is beautiful- how lucky you are to meet all these great animals.  :)

Chine

Quote from: pyewacket on July 12, 2015, 02:06:17 PM
Hi Chine- I've been enjoying your artwork. Katniss is beautiful- how lucky you are to meet all these great animals.  :)

Thanks! The dogs have been part of my family since I was a baby. Mom raised and showed them since I was born. And very grateful for them as they are part of my 'work' too.

Pye, I agree with the points you've posted above. Unfortunately, many don't want to take the energy of being accountable of their life, etc and easier to displace it on anyone or any 'cause'. I feel some are authentic in being active. Participating and so forth. And that requires work and recognizing 'Okay, I may be full of shit.' I'm trying to muddle through my shit and adjust. Adjusting and applying is work!

I once test drove an electric car. I`m feelin` pretty damn good right now about helping the planet.

onan

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 12, 2015, 02:56:39 PM
I once test drove an electric car. I`m feelin` pretty damn good right now about helping the planet.

I took the Earth for a walk today. It complained for the first mile, and some coughing on the second. But on the way home it thanked me.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 25, 2015, 06:24:14 PM
   Ben Affleck is an abysmal actor and director. But he should be lauded for killing that vanity series that PBS gave Skip Gates. Good work, kid!

Heh. Damn, I've missed agreeing with virtually your every opinion.

pyewacket

Additional reports of people abusing 911. This is something that people should get upset about because it ties up emergency services, costs the municipality for each call, and may delay response to real life or death situations.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/245933/2/911-system-strained-with-abusive-calls