• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on November 16, 2013, 03:01:08 PM
That's good to hear, UC.  I really miss Karl Haas.  But, then again, I miss "Mystery Science Theater 3000."  :D

Ah, classical tv, so to speak.    ;)

zeebo

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 16, 2013, 07:58:01 PM
I miss MST3K, too.  I just introduced my daughter (she's 12) to the handful of offerings on Netflix.  I have not yet subjected her to Manos:  Hands of Fate, but I have played for her the haunting Torgo theme!

I saw Time Chasers a while back, had several hearty laughs at that one.

Quote from: zeebo on November 17, 2013, 03:05:21 AM
I was like some people have a gift for speaking at length without providing any real content.  Yep, verbal musak.

Uncle Lou, scout, gambler, and overall picaro gave me the best business advice ever.
"Tell people things they already know, and always be on the lookout for information from others you might not have."

People put down scouts for not being from Ivy league schools, but they are the shrewdest characters you will ever meet.

ItsOver

That commentary sounds like the verbal equivalent of musak.  It's just there to let you know it's there. 

It reminds me of this bore I heard on the radio one time go on about "Do you like red wine?  I do.  But I also like white.  In fact, I think I like white more than red.  Except sometimes red is better.  Do you find that sometimes you feel like having one type, even though usually you like the other?  Some people care alot about the kind of food they have with their wine.  But not me, it's not so important.  Except with some kinds of cheeses perhaps.  How about you? Etc. etc." 

I was like some people have a gift for speaking at length without providing any real content.  Yep, verbal musak.

I didn't think Mr. Rogers was a drinker.  :D  R.I.P., Mr. Rogers.

Heather Wade

God damn cluster-fuck headaches.  Dammit.   >:(

Trying to create just one comfortable place to sit and work.

In fact, every single thing is annoying me right now.  Grrrrrr.

BobGrau

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 17, 2013, 05:04:18 PM
God damn cluster-fuck headaches.  Dammit.   >:(

Aren't you excused from cluster-fucks if you've "got a headache"?

Heather Wade

Quote from: BobGrau on November 17, 2013, 05:08:28 PM
Aren't you excused from cluster-fucks if you've "got a headache"?

Not in my world, lol.

It's a type of headache.

Vinpocetine 2x 10 mg seems to work on my headaches.

That commentary sounds like the verbal equivalent of musak.  It's just there to let you know it's there. 

It reminds me of this bore I heard on the radio one time go on about "Do you like red wine?  I do.  But I also like white.  In fact, I think I like white more than red.  Except sometimes red is better.  Do you find that sometimes you feel like having one type, even though usually you like the other?  Some people care alot about the kind of food they have with their wine.  But not me, it's not so important.  Except with some kinds of cheeses perhaps.  How about you? Etc. etc." 

Oh, crap, that reads like some of the essays my students turn in.  "You mean I have to write two whole pages about something?"  We're talking college students here.  Honestly, most of them do just fine, and I can understand, say, a second-language learner struggling with producing two pages, but the above comment is more likely to come from a standard 18-year-old who has spent most of his life watching television (and who HATES reading).

Also, Zeebo, your funny sample commentary sounds like a lot of morning talk radio to me, where one chowderhead bleets the same comment several times (it gets progressively funnier each time, don'tchaknow?) while the other guy/gal chortles and makes juvenile comments.

Quote from: ItsOver on November 17, 2013, 12:12:10 AM
Ah, yes, Manos.  I'm glad to see you're taking mercy on your daughter.  ;)  It is hilarious but I'm not sure how someone of her tender age might react.  Good 'ol Torgo.  I've enjoyed having him "pop-in" to BellGab over the past few months.  I'd have to say Manos and  Mitchell, with a beer swilling Joe Don Baker, were probably my favorites.  Good times, good times... have some Hamdingers, on me.

Woops!  Just an empty can.  Damn Tommy.

You may be right, It'sOver... There is something especially... disturbing... about Manos.  Did you know that the actor who played Torgo committed suicide shortly after making the film?  The story behind that film is actually pretty interesting.

ItsOver

Yes, I did read that sad news when doing some internet research on Manos.   I understand the actor also incorrectly wore the leg devices which were suppose to make him resemble a satyr.  It resulted in some lingering, painful side-effects which some believe may have pushed him over the edge.  It's certainly a bizarre movie and it's interesting to see how it's now become a cult classic after the MST3K treatment.  I can only imagine what the MST3K team would do with the current version of C2C.  ;)

I am annoyed by pointless stories.  In my daughter's jr. high class (where I volunteer), each morning begins with a time when students can share any important news.  Can't tell you how many "sharings" sound like this:  "So, we have a cat, well, it's not really a cat, it's sort of a kitten, but it's really a cat, so, anyway, we have this cat, er, cat-kitten, and he is so cute, and he, well, he isn't really cute but he kind of is -- anyway I had to feed him, well, I didn't really have to, but I wanted to, so I was feeding him, and...."

Is this a developmental thing? 

I shouldn't gripe, I guess.  The day'll come when the last thing my child wants is for me to be anywhere near her class.   :P

zeebo

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 18, 2013, 01:15:10 PM
Oh, crap, that reads like some of the essays my students turn in.  "You mean I have to write two whole pages about something?"  We're talking college students here.

Seems like this generation is being pushed into wider but shallower knowledge.  E.g. instead of reading a deep, complex book and writing a thoughtful paper on it, they'd rather skim a quick website article and send out a few tweets?

I picture a table, and theres a few classic novels stacked on one side, and on the other there are thousands of fortune-cookie length snippets of text.  Same number of words, totally different kind of experience and knowledge.

zeebo

Quote from: lonevoice on November 16, 2013, 02:05:12 PM
I'm annoyed that this entire page of posts could be dropped into the "Art Bell Quits Dark Matter" thread and it would be on topic there.   

I saw that thread spin out after Art's "stop the presses" order.  I pledged that after my last comment somewhere after the 500th page that I wouldn't go back ever.  (I was secretly hoping MV would lock it actually, so I wouldn't be tempted.)  I'm trying to move on at this point.

lonevoice

Quote from: zeebo on November 18, 2013, 04:02:13 PM
I saw that thread spin out after Art's "stop the presses" order.  I pledged that after my last comment somewhere after the 500th page that I wouldn't go back ever.  (I was secretly hoping MV would lock it actually, so I wouldn't be tempted.)  I'm trying to move on at this point.
That's wise, zeebo.  I'm not nearly as self-disciplined.  First I told myself I wouldn't read it anymore.  When that didn't work, I told myself I'd just scan it, but not post in it.  Fail.  :)

Heather Wade

Quote from: lonevoice on November 18, 2013, 04:07:09 PM
That's wise, zeebo.  I'm not nearly as self-disciplined.  First I told myself I wouldn't read it anymore.  When that didn't work, I told myself I'd just scan it, but not post in it.  Fail.  :)

We're both a couple of failures, then.   ;)  I wish MV would lock it too, but... I can't keep away from the wreck that is the Quit thread.   :-[

lonevoice

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 18, 2013, 04:39:56 PM
We're both a couple of failures, then.   ;)  I wish MV would lock it too, but... I can't keep away from the wreck that is the Quit thread.   :-[
Before the recent TOS changes, I would've been interested in seeing it locked too.  Some of the newer posters might have been motivated to think, "But I wanted to post something about Dave Noorie.  Now where should I post it?"  Or, "Gee, I had something I wanted to say about Art.  Now where does that go?"  Or, "Fuck, I just wanted to post some really stupid shit about nothing.  Is there a place for that?"   The new TOS, though, eliminated the previous rules about being continually off-topic, or using the search function to see if there's already a thread that applies to what you want to talk about.  Between those things, and the recent elimination of the rule about not trolling the forum, I'm afraid that locking the Quits thread would result in absolute anarchy.   Yikes, it might even turn one of my two favorite threads (Things That Annoy You and Random Stupid Things on Your Mind) into the new replacement for the Quits thread.  I wouldn't want to be MV trying to figure out a "viable path going forward" (to quote Art Bell).  Just thinking about it makes me feel like hurling.   :o

Heather Wade

Quote from: lonevoice on November 18, 2013, 05:12:13 PM
Before the recent TOS changes, I would've been interested in seeing it locked too.  Some of the newer posters might have been motivated to think, "But I wanted to post something about Dave Noorie.  Now where should I post it?"  Or, "Gee, I had something I wanted to say about Art.  Now where does that go?"  Or, "Fuck, I just wanted to post some really stupid shit about nothing.  Is there a place for that?"   The new TOS, though, eliminated the previous rules about being continually off-topic, or using the search function to see if there's already a thread that applies to what you want to talk about.  Between those things, and the recent elimination of the rule about not trolling the forum, I'm afraid that locking the Quits thread would result in absolute anarchy.   Yikes, it might even turn one of my two favorite threads (Things That Annoy You and Random Stupid Things on Your Mind) into the new replacement for the Quits thread.  I wouldn't want to be MV trying to figure out a "viable path going forward" (to quote Art Bell).  Just thinking about it makes me feel like hurling.   :o

Concur.  Best to keep the madness contained. 
The Quit thread is like our own little Fukushima.  Aww.

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 18, 2013, 05:30:35 PM

Agree, agree, agree.
I'm treating it like the Politics threads.  Avoid at all costs.
When things get nasty, I duck and run.  I'm still running after my last visit.... :o

zeebo

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 18, 2013, 05:30:35 PM

Haha perhaps you are correct, however since it's gone radioactive, and I have no hazmat suit, I will content myself with occasional reports from those braver than me.  :)

b_dubb

today sucked.  days like today suck ass.  and my job.  my jobs sucks ass.  the people i work for suck.  the company sucks.  fuck them and their "we'll hire India to do it" attitude.  greedy shitheads

Quote from: b_dubb on November 18, 2013, 07:10:18 PM
today sucked.  days like today suck ass.  and my job.  my jobs sucks ass.  the people i work for suck.  the company sucks.  fuck them and their "we'll hire India to do it" attitude.  greedy shitheads

That sucks, b_dubb. I can't tell you how many s/w engineers I used to work with lost their jobs to overseas companies. It's disgusting, and it's just as disgusting to reach India for store credit card issues or internet help, no offence to India. It's bullshit, and I sympathize.

Sorry to hear that. I mainly work with functional languages and they are pretty much impossible to offshore. A few years back I picked up Aspect-Oriented Programming and its been a really good paradigm for me and it solves some pretty important problems in the computing world. The non OOP paradigms are much harder to offshore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_paradigm

jazmunda

Quote from: lonevoice on November 18, 2013, 04:07:09 PM

I failed too. I promised myself I would avoid it after the cease and desist but it's like driving slowly past a car accident; you can't not look.

Anyway I've weened myself down to only checking it a couple times a day. I think I only posted in it once yesterday.

Hopefully today will be a post free day and I promise to only check it once in the morning and once at night.

Is there some kind of AA meeting equivalent? Can someone please sponsor me and check in with me.

MV perhaps if you started charging for us to check the thread we might not be so obsessive and in turn it could be a great fundraiser for the site.

I hope it gets better, bdubb... I am looking into a possible career change myself.  Catching on fulltime teaching at the community college level is not easy.  I would like a job with benefits, security.  It often seems to me and people around my age (51) like we were sold a bill of goods:  go to school, study hard, get good grades, be good boys and girls, and you will have a satisfying career.  I left a job in law enforcement (it was not exactly a career, because as a civilian, I had no ability to ascend up the ranks -- just the prospect of doing the same job for another 25 years). 

Juan

The fucking "you have mail" that explodes through my speakers when I'm on the main page and that damn ad shows up.

jazmunda

Quote from: Juan on November 19, 2013, 02:29:05 PM
The fucking "you have mail" that explodes through my speakers when I'm on the main page and that damn ad shows up.

Web advertisements should not have sound

I have had many the mini heart attack over the years.

Speaking of ads, how about radio ads that have sirens in them.  Hate that when I'm driving.

zeebo

I'm letting it go, and feeling better about it each day.  If Art ever returns, I'm sure I'll hear about it.  In the meantime, I'm putting my energy into more satisfying activities, like mocking Noory.    :D

zeebo

Quote from: jazmunda on November 19, 2013, 02:33:22 PM
Web advertisements should not have sound

I have had many the mini heart attack over the years.

I sooo agree with you, I hate those.  Especially those that load an auto-play video in some popup hidden somewhere behind my open windows.

On that note why is there not a sound capping function in Windows that says basically "No matter what any application or configuration setting says, *never* play a sound louder than X".  I've blown out my headphones, speakers, and ears so many times by innocently hitting Play.  (If someone knows about such a thing please let me know.)