• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I can't believe they are debating flat earth theory!

Started by henge0stone, August 05, 2015, 02:07:54 PM

henge0stone

Half of me is happy that finally the stupidity will end, the other half of me thinks it doesn't deserve a debate. It's going to be good though.

Quote from: henge0stone on August 05, 2015, 02:07:54 PM
Half of me is happy that finally the stupidity will end, the other half of me thinks it doesn't deserve a debate. It's going to be good though.

It will be a good exercise in oblique thinking.

henge0stone

the credentials of the two guests says it all. Flat earth people literally don't know anything about astronomy, physics or anything scientific basically. I think Art saw the people talking about it and wants to show people just how unintelligent their 'theory' is.

BobGrau

I'm all for a bit of Flat Earth now and then, but I hope this debate format doesn't become a regular thing. I'd rather hear an enthusiastic guest present an idea for Art and the listeners to play with, than two people disagreeing for 3 hours.

On the other hand, two different versions of false logic crashing in the night? That's radio gold.

henge0stone

I agree, maybe a debate week now and then but debates all the time I'm not into. I hope this debate has the astronomer ask the flat earth guy how his flat earth model works and debunks him this way, otherwise it will just be the flat earth guy saying its all a conspiracy. 

BobGrau

Quote from: BobGrau on August 05, 2015, 02:34:24 PM

...On the other hand, two different versions of false logic crashing in the night? That's radio gold.

Oops! I thought it was two different flat earthers debating, my bad. That would be far more interesting though.

Dyna-X

There's a big difference in being open minded and debating the finer points of something mysterious or all out going for the gutter and insulting the listener's intelligence. The most surprising thing at all is that there is a Harvard astronomer out there willing to take three hours of his life to debate something this whacky.

I had high hopes that Art in his Golden Years would genuninely raise the bar on topic quality. The first night this week he did a save and went into shadow people (and they really are seen, so thats fair enough) - then a mismatch with a crackers New Age film guy with poor ol' Stanton Friedman (whom I respect), who is not versed in spaceflight history. And now this...we're on a roll, my friends, straight towards the lowest-common denominator Almost as low as Noory's Coast. What's next Glynis McCants or Stephen Greer talking about an alien body that is really a doll? While we're at it lets set up David Wilcock and Alfred Webre to debate exopolitics. Flat earth, huh?...well I can do ONE BETTER! How about the Concave Freaking Earth ? - supported by a cultish dude who thinks he is the Lord: Enter Lord Steven Christ  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FcvtZFXOu8   Better yet lets put flat earth dude against concave earth dude.

Is this being done for ratings? To some degree wouldn't Art be above this as long as the finances exist to keep the show going? The planet is in bad shape. People are having all kinds of cool paranormal experinces and genuinely suffering. Their stories need telling.  Some of its depressing - but it does not have to be a depressing show. Look at how the great New Zealander Vinne Eastwood handles it.  The truth is out there but its not under cow patties or in the beers of the kind people that still think the Sun revolves around the Earth (its not their fault though - they are a product of the US Public school system but that is a story for another day...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48

From the MITD page on Artbell.com
Aug 5, 2015: Jon “The Morgile” vs Josh Grindlay

The flat earth theory is debated tonight!

Jon’s Bio:

Jon prefers to remain anonymous, he has several business clients who might not be ready to have a Ball Earth Skeptic as a strategic consultant. Jon is in no way ashamed to BE a Ball Earth Skeptic, however being a Ball Earth Skeptic DOES NOT pay the bills â€" His business clients do & he hopes the listeners can appreciate this. Other people in the world only have a glimpse of who Jon is based on his videos, posts and interviews. Jon says: “My statements speak for themselves, and you can get a full view of my take on the FLAT EARTH / INFINITE PLANE MODEL on my Youtube Channel TheMorgile.”

Josh E. Grindlay Bio:

Robert Treat Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy

Research Interests: Compact objects and binaries in globular clusters and the origin and evolution of compact X-ray binaries. Accretion onto white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes. Development of a balloon-borne hard X-ray-imaging telescope and future space missions for hard X-ray observations of X-ray binaries and quasars.

Publications: Over 500 papers in refereed scientific journals

National service: Numerous Advisory Committees for NASA, NRC and NSF. Chair of Division of High Energy Astrophysics (American Astronomical Society) and Division of Astrophysics (American Physical Society)

Honors: Fellow, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation; Fellow, American Physical Society; Fellow, American Association for Advancement of Science; Fellow, Guggenheim Foundation

henge0stone

Quote from: Dyna-X on August 05, 2015, 04:20:39 PM
There's a big difference in being open minded and debating the finer points of something mysterious or all out going for the gutter and insulting the listener's intelligence. The most surprising thing at all is that there is a Harvard astronomer out there willing to take three hours of his life to debate something this whacky.

I had high hopes that Art in his Golden Years would genuninely raise the bar on topic quality. The first night this week he did a save and went into shadow people (and they really are seen, so thats fair enough) - then a mismatch with a crackers New Age film guy with poor ol' Stanton Friedman (whom I respect), who is not versed in spaceflight history. And now this...we're on a roll, my friends, straight towards the lowest-common denominator Almost as low as Noory's Coast. What's next Glynis McCants or Stephen Greer talking about an alien body that is really a doll? While we're at it lets set up David Wilcock and Alfred Webre to debate exopolitics. Flat earth, huh?...well I can do ONE BETTER! How about the Concave Freaking Earth ? - supported by a cultish dude who thinks he is the Lord: Enter Lord Steven Christ  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FcvtZFXOu8   Better yet lets put flat earth dude against concave earth dude.

Is this being done for ratings? To some degree wouldn't Art be above this as long as the finances exist to keep the show going? The planet is in bad shape. People are having all kinds of cool paranormal experinces and genuinely suffering. Their stories need telling.  Some of its depressing - but it does not have to be a depressing show. Look at how the great New Zealander Vinne Eastwood handles it.  The truth is out there but its not under cow patties or in the beers of the kind people that still think the Sun revolves around the Earth (its not their fault though - they are a product of the US Public school system but that is a story for another day...

In one sense I agree that the topic is so insane that it insults listener intelligence. The last debate was pretty bad since stanton doesn't know enough about space flight. The other guy was so bad he debunked himself (Art asked where the rocket went and he had no answer). Art realized halfway though that friedman really wasn't the best guest to debate about this.

On the other hand the flat Earth craziness is a current thing that is popping up all over the internet. Yes it is only propagated by people who have no idea how the world and solar system works, but I think it can be a fun debate to see just how insane this idea is. At least its a current topic and Art has his pulse on the times which is a good thing, he's not just rehashing old stuff over and over. Now if this was not a debate and was simply a flat earther as a guest, than I would agree that its defiantly an insult to listener intelligence.

Dyna-X

I wouldn't have went on this rant if I didn't care. I have learned a lot from Art's shows in the last 22 years. The last thing I would want to see is him branded as a "relic". The conspiracy and paranormal have went in all directions, and the "pulse" of things are not as they were in the 1990s. There is so much new information out there now and we have a huge advantage in the internet. Being crazy can be found everywhere, there is no real "shock value" anymore but being informed and cutting through the insanity is what a true "alternative" type show would do.

So Art and associates and fans, I'm just wanting to help here.

ItsOver

What?  ANOTHER debate already?  Is it time for an election of crazies?

Give me something mysterious, scary, spooky, paranormal, interplanetary...you get the picture.  Flat earth??? Really?

aldousburbank

Quote from: BobGrau on August 05, 2015, 02:51:29 PM

Oops! I thought it was two different flat earthers debating, my bad. That would be far more interesting though.
Or flat vs hollow.

Jackstar

The only path to sanity I can find on this issue is that Flat Earth People come from another universe, some kind of pocket dimension, where a "flat Earth" actually has been constructed, and people from this parallel dimension are brought here unknowingly and clandestinely manipulated to talk to someone from our dimension, where the Earth is an oblate spheroid.

Maybe there's another dimension where the world really is round, and not an oblate spheroid, and that's where you people are posting from. I can't disprove it... yet.

maren

Quote from: Dyna-X on August 05, 2015, 04:46:56 PM
I wouldn't have went on this rant if I didn't care. I have learned a lot from Art's shows in the last 22 years. The last thing I would want to see is him branded as a "relic". The conspiracy and paranormal have went in all directions, and the "pulse" of things are not as they were in the 1990s. There is so much new information out there now and we have a huge advantage in the internet. Being crazy can be found everywhere, there is no real "shock value" anymore but being informed and cutting through the insanity is what a true "alternative" type show would do.

So Art and associates and fans, I'm just wanting to help here.

Back in the day, we were just hearing about cattle mutilations, chupacabra, more info on UFOs, abductions, etc.  But by now, we've all heard it from different sources.  But not sure anything new has come down the path to get our attention.  Tough spot to be in, IMO.  Who/what would you cover?

And, have you forwarded any suggestions to Redacted?

Honestly, glad I'm not the one calling the shots on this!

albrecht

Quote from: BobGrau on August 05, 2015, 02:51:29 PM

Yeah, I was hoping for a round-table debate between a "flat-earther," a "hollow-earther," a "convex earther," a "domed, slightly curved earther," --and throw in a "holographic universer" for good measure.

It is "in the data" and the bizarre theories and mathematical models are not appreciated by just labeling all of them "flat earthers." There is nuance and differences, and some similarities and agreements, between the crazy theories.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on August 05, 2015, 06:36:18 PM
Yeah, I was hoping for a round-table debate between a "flat-earther," a "hollow-earther," a "convex earther," a "domed, slightly curved earther," --and throw in a "holographic universer" for good measure.

It is "in the data" and the bizarre theories and mathematical models are not appreciated by just labeling all of them "flat earthers." There is nuance and differences, and some similarities and agreements, between the crazy theories.
We all know the spherical earth theory is just a hoax perpetrated by the illuminati. 

http://youtu.be/SoCKapivHGM

inuk2600

Maybe Art is using these shows to take the temperature of the intelligence of the listeners. Judging by the callers last night, it's not looking too hot.

trostol

if Art starts having constant fake doctors and new agey types on..thats when he has gotten to Dave level..he isnt there ..or close yet

Quote from: albrecht on August 05, 2015, 06:36:18 PM

I was hoping for an oblate spheroid table debate.

bAbY

yeah, im listening too right now. what a  moron, Im no scientist, but it seems this guy is going against centuries of math, science, discovery, trillions of dollars in space programs, millions of bits of data, hubble, lasers, geo synchronous orbits, gps, etc, etc, etc..... OMG, im pulling my hair out!!!!

I think hes watching too many youtube videos, made by too many "internet" scientists educated by the same internet morons.

Art, this is a low for you my friend, it is awful listening to this, stupid, pointless, and quite moronic.

Hats off to the guest, who i think is getting very upset at the fact that people like this actually have so much internal commitment to this idiocy.

May i suggest next time you call me, i have an 8 year old daughter who will be more riveting than this....fool.

Art. No soup for you !

This guest is about as bad as people who believe in Global Warming lol.

There's a big difference in being open minded and debating the finer points of something mysterious or all out going for the gutter and insulting the listener's intelligence. The most surprising thing at all is that there is a Harvard astronomer out there willing to take three hours of his life to debate...

It's stupid and a waste of time, but no more stupid and a waste of time than, say, Hoagie or Ed Dames, although a random flat earth guy would be less grating than either of those two (not that I'm going to listen to any of them)

Maybe next time he's on, Art could have a scientist with actual credentials in the field debate the Hoaxster and close him out for good

Jackstar

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 06, 2015, 02:02:10 AM
Maybe next time he's on, Art could have a scientist with actual credentials in the field debate the Hoaxster and close him out for good

Maybe next time someone is on, Art could have anyone who isn't a mouthbreathing cunt explain the unclassified JFK evidence

I don't mean you, of course. Just, someone who isn't a cunt.

paladin1991

Quote from: bAbY on August 05, 2015, 10:52:04 PM
yeah, im listening too right now. what a  moron, Im no scientist, but it seems this guy is going against centuries of math, science, discovery, trillions of dollars in space programs, millions of bits of data, hubble, lasers, geo synchronous orbits, gps, etc, etc, etc..... OMG, im pulling my hair out!!!!

I think hes watching too many youtube videos, made by too many "internet" scientists educated by the same internet morons.

Art, this is a low for you my friend, it is awful listening to this, stupid, pointless, and quite moronic.

Hats off to the guest, who i think is getting very upset at the fact that people like this actually have so much internal commitment to this idiocy.

May i suggest next time you call me, i have an 8 year old daughter who will be more riveting than this....fool.

Art. No soup for you !

Hi Dave!  You gonna book these guys next?

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on August 06, 2015, 02:21:24 AM
Maybe next time someone is on, Art could have anyone who isn't a mouthbreathing cunt explain the unclassified JFK evidence

I don't mean you, of course. Just, someone who isn't a cunt.
Hehehehe