• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is it me or.....

Started by Evil Twin Of Zen, May 16, 2012, 10:12:37 PM

Ben Shockley

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on May 27, 2012, 12:48:54 PM
But maybe I am making it all up just to get the easy cred.  You wanker.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wanker
I am officially bested and shut down.     I have been called a "wanker" AND shown an online definition!!!    Henceforth, RealCool Daddio MUST BE accorded absolute credibility in anything he writes!!  Lest ye be called a "wanker"  AND shown a definition!!
It's the showing the definition that really shuts ya down !!

Quote from: ziznak on May 27, 2012, 12:51:18 PM
I always did like the term

Frank Herbert just rolled over in his grave and said What the FUCK did you just say?

BobGrau

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 27, 2012, 01:01:48 PM
I am officially bested and shut down.     I have been called a "wanker" AND shown an online definition!!!    Henceforth, RealCool Daddio MUST BE accorded absolute credibility in anything he writes!!  Lest ye be called a "wanker"  AND shown a definition!!
It's the showing the definition that really shuts ya down !!

Here, you can have some easy cred too. All better now?  ;)   

"Wanker" translates as "Koontz" in some regions of Iceland.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: BobGrau on May 27, 2012, 01:11:21 PM

Here, you can have some easy cred too. All better now?  ;)
Thanks, Grau ~ MY cred ain't the point.
Actually, the Daddy-O ain't the point either.   I just get bugged by people making categorical statements....
I'll bring it back to Art Bell:  "you have no idea  what it's like to be in another country..."
Really, Art??  Rhetorical / categorical "you?"  Which includes me...?   I have no idea...??
"So- and- so is a 'racist term' used in so- and- so region."    That categorical stuff just bugs me.
Okay?

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 27, 2012, 01:23:37 PM
Actually, the Daddy-O ain't the point either.   I just get bugged by people making categorical statements....
I'll bring it back to Art Bell:  "you have no idea  what it's like to be in another country..."
Really, Art??  Rhetorical / categorical "you?"  Which includes me...?   I have no idea...??
"So- and- so is a 'racist term' used in so- and- so region."    That categorical stuff just bugs me.
Okay?
Look man, I wasn't looking to get up anyone's nose on this, just wanted to warn people that the word had a meaning they might not be aware off.  Not sure if you are pissed that I am being too politically correct for pointing that out, or not politically correct enough for mentioning the south.  Would "regional colloquialism" suit you better?

BobGrau

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 27, 2012, 01:23:37 PM
Okay?

I do appreciate your point about sweeping statements, but... dude, chill!

once again, it seems whenever noory is off everyone falls out. I've had bosses like that...

I would apologise for going off topic, but wtf IS the topic here?

Ben Shockley

I'm cool with the categorical-commenting Canadians.
Thanks for letting me express.
:D ;D ::)

BEWARE! THE SAND-KOONTZ OF MARS!

McPhallus

Quote from: guildnavigator on May 27, 2012, 01:42:32 PM
BEWARE! THE SAND-KOONTZ OF MARS!

...and his Scorpion army.  Or perhaps I'm being offensive to 50+ virginal weirdos.

Zircon

How about "honkie", "cracker", "white mother fucker", "polak", "WOP", "spic", "beaner", "kraut", "frog", "kike", "chink", "slant", "round eye", "jap", "guedo" (sp? slur for Italians). All of those are insulting as well but a few are regarded as OK to use (by anyone) while others can use it only within their group.

ziznak

I had a shirt made that said "honkey" on the front and "cracka ass cracka" on the back... with a pic of a cracker... my friend used to work at one of those lil stands in the mall and it was our lil joke shirt.  For some reason slang for white people just doesn't seem as offensive as slang for non-white people.

Quote from: Zircon on May 27, 2012, 02:24:49 PM
"round eye"

correction: wound eye

Or did we not learn our lesson from the MAIDEN Japan EP's Japanese sleeve whereupon it was printed:

PRAY ROUD  ?

Ben Shockley

zircon and ziznak, oblivious that y'all are ~  claim that those are unique (and potentially common) terms to a certain region and then you might get a fight.  Y'all got here late to a fight that barely started and already ended.

Zircon

Isn't there a "lock" topic that suggests to me at least it is CLOSED ... "ENDED" as you'd say?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Zircon on May 27, 2012, 02:56:46 PM
Isn't there a "lock" topic that suggests to me at least it is CLOSED ... "ENDED" as you'd say?

as a general rule, threads are never locked here.

Sardondi

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 27, 2012, 01:15:42 PM
"Wanker" translates as "Koontz" in some regions of Iceland.

And here I've been calling people who irritated me "Dean". This explains my inability to crush with a single word...

Quote from: Zircon on May 27, 2012, 02:24:49 PM
How about "honkie", "cracker", "white mother fucker", "polak", "WOP", "spic", "beaner", "kraut", "frog", "kike", "chink", "slant", "round eye", "jap", "guedo" (sp? slur for Italians). All of those are insulting as well but a few are regarded as OK to use (by anyone) while others can use it only within their group.

"You forgot Poland."

MV/Liberace!

i would like to know why "jap" is a slur.  i never understood that.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: MV on May 28, 2012, 10:43:01 AM

Even more confusing to me--I understood completely when the term "Black" became favored over other terms of the day (way back when). 

But I did not understand when "Black" became derogatory while "White" was okay. 

And I have been doubly confused by the term "African American" being applied to people like Colin Powell.  Is he African-American? Powell is American, all right, but his heritage is Jamaican and Scottish.  IIRC, Jamaica had indigenous people of color as well as a slave trade, so maybe it's slighting Powell's indigenous heritage to assume he's got African slave blood? 

I don't know, but on a Friday newscast, during a report on a new "Snow White" film, the journalist recapped Disney's cartoon version by describing how Snow White cooked and cleaned for seven little people.

Of course, that always brings up the party mixer of:

"Can you name the seven little people?"

Sure.  Let's see: Tattoo, Dr. Lovelace, Mickey on Seinfeld, Mini-Me, Poe's Hop-Frog, Ronnie James Dio, Cousin Itt, Tom Cruise, R2D2, that crazy fucker in Twin Peaks ...  wait, how many is that?

No - no - no - no - no!

Can you name the seven little people in Snow White?

Ohhhh.  You mean the Seven Dwarfs?

(crickets)

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 28, 2012, 11:48:43 AM
Ronnie James Dio,
(crickets)

hahaha

i played guitar on a session with RJD when I was about 19 or so. He was very short indeed.

Zircon

Quote from: 999 on May 28, 2012, 04:14:16 AM
"You forgot Poland."
Note: I'm part Polish but don't let that stop anything as I've heard all the jokes. "Polak" or perhaps it is spelled "Pollack". Toss in a few "z"s or "j"s here and there if that clears it up. Case in point ... however you spell the Duke Blue Devils basketball coach (Coach "K").

Zircon

It was during World War II along with "nip rat". I think a Japanese person might bristle a bit if you addressed him/her or introduced them as a "jap". I might be wrong by today's standards.

Quote from: guildnavigator on May 28, 2012, 12:59:35 PM

hahaha

i played guitar on a session with RJD when I was about 19 or so. He was very short indeed.

I'm very impressed Guild.  For me, being in such a session with him would have been just as if not more thrilling than folding space.

My RJD anecdote is once removed.  I never met him but have been a fan since Sabbath's Heaven and Hell.

About a decade after that album, my now ex-father in law was visiting his daughter and myself and stayed with us for about a week.  He was a contractor in I believe the North Hollywood area.  For whatever reason, I brought up Ronnie.  He said, "oh, I know that guy. I have his phone number."

He proceeded to open his planner full of business contacts and showed me RJD's home number.  He then claimed that they had started some kind of remodeling for Ronnie but Ronnie didn't pay, so they stopped.  But knowing my ex father in law's personality, I would bet Wendy had good reason to put a stop on the cash flow.  I think there was a personality clash between my father in law and Wendy....

"I think she's a dyke," were his exact words.  The probable truth is, my FIL's narcissism wasn't being fed properly and his workers probably were not doing the job correctly.

Despite that, it was a pleasant coincidence. 

Somewhat like you sharing this great pic of you and RJD.

Kind of an off day here, but you put a very good spin on it for me.  Thanks, man.

ziznak

I liked Sabbath much better with the Oz man himself

McPhallus

I think it has to do with context and tonality.  I remember my grandfather (bonafide World War II vet) using it to refer to one of the people who questioned Ollie North during those hearings way back when.  In my mind, it's tied to GIs referring to the enemy (Japs, Nips, krauts, etc.)

Speaking of nips, this reminds me of a friend I used to have who'd refer to any congregation of Asians as "Nips Ahoy."

onan

The south is stupid. The south is almost as stupid as the north. And the north isn't as stupid as the west (including California). And California is less stupid than the south.

Circular logic at its best.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 28, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

"I think she's a dyke," were his exact words. 

HAHA... Only met Wendy once, she was super nice to me, I was shy and just sat on the couch noodling a Les Paul most of the day, standing up to shake peoples hands as they came into the control room.

Ok HERE'S where it got a little weird. People had spread out a little later in the morning and I went to grab a cup of coffee across the hall. On my way I glance to my left and theres Dio, naked from the waist down, facing away from me, staring at his feet.

I think that my mind convinced my eyes not to see anything. I felt very alarmed for some reason and left to a more common area, the big kitchen outside our half of the old studio we were working out of.

It turns out that Wendy had brought some sort of velvet cloak or other heavy metal garment for Dio to be photographed in. He was just changing. 40 years on the road make you not shy about those sort of things.