• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

On January 27th, 1916 the 3rd Battalion of The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada was located in Fletre, France.

They must of had a lull in the action because their log shows they had time to play the 2nd Division of the Canadian
Field Artillery in soccer:

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 27, 2016, 05:28:58 PM
On January 27th, 1916 the 3rd Battalion of The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada was located in Fletre, France.

They must of had a lull in the action because their log shows they had time to play the 2nd Division of the Canadian
Field Artillery in soccer:
The use of the term football makes me wonder if, maybe, if was some other sport played? Don't Canadians (like Australians and in the USA) usually, especially back then, use the term 'soccer' for 'association football?' And 'football' for our version of more rugby-derived sports?

Rix Gins

The latest (100 years ago) war news from The Fairmont West Virginian.

Quote from: albrecht on January 27, 2016, 05:35:36 PM
The use of the term football makes me wonder if, maybe, if was some other sport played? Don't Canadians (like Australians and in the USA) usually, especially back then, use the term 'soccer' for 'association football?' And 'football' for our version of more rugby-derived sports?

It's a solid point Albrecht.    I certainly don't know the answer.  I grew up in the Detroit area right across the river - which was cool because we got Canadian radio and TV and I never heard Johnny Canuck mention soccer at all.   Ever.  Never.   [At the time, Detroit had a soccer team called the Detroit Express but they didn't draw flies.  While the Canadians would report the Red Wings, Lions, Pistons and Tigers scores and discuss the teams they could have cared less about the Express.   I left that area 30 years ago for warmer climes - I suspect things have changed mightly].  Of course football is huge in Canada with their own professional league - which I used to watch quite a bit of. 

The number of players they mention 7 - doesn't help either.      Looked on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_Canada#The_1900s
and that also doesn't really help as they discuss some "Football Associations" for soccer.      I guess this would have been one for Bob Stack over at Unsolved
Mysteries.     

Rix Gins

A 100 years ago quiz.  Is the old fellow gonna make it through the year without kicking the bucket? 

(From The Tonopah Daily Bonanza.  Photo from Wikipedia.)

In 1916 the  Benham Manufacturing Company of Detroit was still producing cars.   They only produced around 60 or so units but they were big and powerful for the day using a 48 horse Continental six cylinder. 

In reading up on this little company I discovered something startling.   They employed  Owen Skelton as chief engineer along with two other prominent guys as well:
Carl Breer, and Fred Zeder.  After Benham was no more these three guys would jump to Studebaker and then later form ZSB Engineering and attempt to go out on their own.  They never could get enough financing to get anywhere but they eventually hooked up with Walt Chrysler and the rest was history.   They would become the Three Musketeers of Chrysler Engineering [a wonderful team I must say as my Grandfather worked there starting in the 20's as a driver].   Skelton and Zeder would end up in the Automotive Hall of Fame.

Today only one Benham car is known to exist and it is in rough shape:

BTW here are the "Three Musketeers":
Carl Breer

Fred Zeder

Owen Skelton

It appears that the Benham factory was located at 1880 Mount Elliott Avenue in Detroit.   Today that location is home to the Capuchin Monastery and looks great! 
[sans the dude with the shopping  cart]

Rix Gins

Great info, as usual, Walks.  Re: The photo of dude walking with cart.  Go up a bit and to the right. There is an angel floating there...ephemeral wings and all.  Thanks for keeping an Art Bell Paranormal style theme going on our history thread.   ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 27, 2016, 07:48:18 PM
Great info, as usual, Walks.  Re: The photo of dude walking with cart.  Go up a bit and to the right. There is an angel floating there...ephemeral wings and all.  Thanks for keeping an Art Bell Paranormal style theme going on our history thread.   ;)
I see that angel also and have to wonder if they harbor any grudges towards monkey since I would bet that most people if they hear/see "Capuchin" they think "monkey" not monks these days.

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 27, 2016, 06:39:43 PM
A 100 years ago quiz.  Is the old fellow gonna make it through the year without kicking the bucket? 

(From The Tonopah Daily Bonanza.  Photo from Wikipedia.)

Citing a Nye County paper for that is a nice touch, Rix!  Great find!

Without consulting Google, I'm going to guess that the Emperor lived to ring in 1917.

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 27, 2016, 07:48:18 PM

Thanks.....  I didn't notice the Angel - how cool is that?

Glad I don't bore you guys with the obscure auto company stuff.

Small addendum - Carl Breer is also in the Hall of Hame - being inducted in 1976

http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/inductee/carl-breer/13/

Coffeeman

Just curious, but is anyone here from Indiana? If so, have any old photos of the cities or small town you lived in?

Quote from: albrecht on January 27, 2016, 07:52:08 PM
I see that angel also and have to wonder if they harbor any grudges towards monkey since I would bet that most people if they hear/see "Capuchin" they think "monkey" not monks these days.

Most people probably think "Capuchin" is something you get at Starbuck's.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 27, 2016, 08:03:48 PM
Thanks.....  I didn't notice the Angel - how cool is that?

Glad I don't bore you guys with the obscure auto company stuff.

Small addendum - Carl Breer is also in the Hall of Hame - being inducted in 1976

http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/inductee/carl-breer/13/

The angel came through a portal to protect the monks from the monkeys.  :D

The obscure auto company info is great--those were exciting times for what was one of the leading tech industries back then!  Please keep posting it!

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 27, 2016, 09:02:54 PM
Most people probably think "Capuchin" is something you get at Starbuck's.

Be careful ordering that at a Chinese Restaurant.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 27, 2016, 06:17:20 PM
The latest (100 years ago) war news from The Fairmont West Virginian.
I worked in Fairmont, WV for several years at the NASA facility there. Home of the first Father's Day, Bob Denver and Mary Lou Retton.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 27, 2016, 09:32:43 PM
I worked in Fairmont, WV for several years at the NASA facility there. Home of the first Father's Day, Bob Denver and Mary Lou Retton.

Bob Denver as in Gilligan?

Hey!!!!!!

Tomorrow is the 100th Anniversary of the Right for Women to Vote in Manitoba!    Who knew?

Two weeks  hospitalization, three days of special nursing, gauze, lab fee and medicine  - $55.60

Rix Gins

A couple of crime items from the Jan. 28, 1916 Honolulu Star Bulletin.  Now Chow I would expect to be a part of the rackets...but Fook and Foo?  No way!

Meister_000

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 28, 2016, 02:40:06 AM
A couple of crime items from the Jan. 28, 1916 Honolulu Star Bulletin.  Now Chow I would expect to be a part of the rackets...but Fook and Foo?  No way!

Chinese for John and Jane Doe? -- Ah Fook and Ah Foo  :)

The names "John Doe" or "John Roe" for men, "Jane Doe" or "Jane Roe" for women, or "Johnnie Doe" and "Janie Doe" for children, or just "Doe" non-gender-specifically are used as placeholder names for a party whose true identity is unknown or must be withheld in a legal action, case, or discussion.

[edit: close as I can come so far, "Ah" is not an actual name in Chinese but rather a generic prefix often meaning a familial "junior", a diminutive. It's very commonly seen in record books, and sometimes is used as a stand-in for an unknown, unpronounceable, or untranslatable name (or Chinese character).]

Rix Gins

The Day Book (1/28/16) reports on an upcoming fight between Fred Fulton, The Rochester Giant

(at left in this Wikipedia photo) 

and Pork Flynn.  http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/flynn-d.htm
Sorry, but I couldn't wait to see who won so I went ahead one day, or rather back 100 years to find out. The outcome was fairly predictable, given the pre bout write up.

ShayP

This makes me laugh.  The whole thing just tickles me.   I wish I was there to hear the "truth of the matter."

Rix Gins

Quote from: ShayP on January 28, 2016, 03:50:08 AM
This makes me laugh.  The whole thing just tickles me.   I wish I was there to hear the "truth of the matter."

Well, you can catch the talk, Shay.  Here are the keys to the 100 Years Ago time machine.  One of the perks of being a contributor.  While you are there please try and find out what made the Tidewater Automobile Association so special that they got a special invite.  lol

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on January 28, 2016, 03:50:08 AM

I think the current candidates should be given a cocktail of scotch and sodium-pentathol and asked these questions in the debates!

Meister_000

Popular Mechanics magazine, Jan. 1916 issue:

HUMAN WRECKS IN NOVEL EUGENIC PARADE

"The dependent, alcoholic, criminal, and illiterate classes were individually represented by four men having the appearance of human wrecks who paraded through the Wall Street district of New York recently. The novel feature of the parade, or "exhibit", was that each man carried a sign calling attention to his particular deficiency and questioning his own right to have children. The evident purpose of the parade was that of presenting a convincing argument in favor of eugenic marriage, and it is said to have been organized by a medical journal that is conducting a campaign for the promotion of this reform. The paraders and their unique signs were successful at attracting the attention of thousands of spectators along the streets."

Signs read (left to right):

"I am a burden to myself and the State.
Should I be allowed to propagate?"

"I must drink alcohol to sustain life.
Shall I transfer the craving to others?"

"Would the prisons and asylums be filled
if my kind had no children?"

"I cannot read this Sign
by what right have I children?"

Caption below image reads:

"Down-and-Outs" as They Appeared in a Eugenic Parade through the Wall Street District of New York

albrecht

Quote from: Meister_000 on January 28, 2016, 10:18:32 AM
Popular Mechanics magazine, Jan. 1916 issue:

HUMAN WRECKS IN NOVEL EUGENIC PARADE

"The dependent, alcoholic, criminal, and illiterate classes

"Down-and-Outs" as They Appeared in a Eugenic Parade through the Wall Street District of New York
One might argue one would get better evidence walking down many urban city streets today. Those "dregs of humanity" in that parade in 1916 were pretty well dressed and ambulatory. You should see people in many of our cities if one goes for a walk or drives in certain areas.

Kidding aside:
many people don't remember that the theories that Hitler etc took to the ultimate conclusion were started and very popular in the States and up into the early 70's, in some places, women were still sterilized etc without consent for eugenics reasons. There were calls for same during the so-called 'crack baby crisis' if you recall. Not to bring abortion into it but Sanger etc was totally for eugenics and why she started her movement. Roosevelt and many others, if not most, believed in the supremacy of 'healthy,' mainly WASP types, and that 'degenerates, drunks, 'others'' needed to have their reproduction limited.

Meister_000

Quote from: albrecht on January 28, 2016, 10:30:18 AM
One might argue one would get better evidence walking down many urban city streets today. Those "dregs of humanity" in that parade in 1916 were pretty well dressed and ambulatory. You should see people in many of our cities if one goes for a walk or drives in certain areas.

Kidding aside:
many people don't remember that the theories that Hitler etc took to the ultimate conclusion were started and very popular in the States and up into the early 70's, in some places, women were still sterilized etc without consent for eugenics reasons. There were calls for same during the so-called 'crack baby crisis' if you recall. Not to bring abortion into it but Sanger etc was totally for eugenics and why she started her movement. Roosevelt and many others, if not most, believed in the supremacy of 'healthy,' mainly WASP types, and that 'degenerates, drunks, 'others'' needed to have their reproduction limited.

Ya, those "repesentatives" do look tame (perhaps not to be so overly offensive to the Wall Street crowd of onlookers?)

I don't know enough about the topic of Eugenics and it's history. I have a book (which I haven't read yet) which seemed it should include much of it; "Social Darwinism in American Thought": by Richard Hofstadter. i.e. Even short of promoting severe forced Eugenic measures, the correlating societal and politcal "attitude" towards the same groups of persons is still operating today, even unconsciously, it's so habituated and accepted, taken for granted -- albeit less spoken-of or even admitted (to ones self) so freely today, nor even recognized for what it is often. It's never really gone away and it probably never will.

Rix Gins

The Day Book, Jan. 28, 1916.  Everett is in hiding.