• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Jojo

Finally got that new forbidden weight off!  Yay!  I'm doing better than a year ago and have kept off the 10lbs I lost in 2017 by starving myself for months.

I've been glad that when I lose weight, the scale and the measuring tape both agree.  It's nice to be able to use two methods and find them to have the same accuracy.

Water weight is hard to factor, though.

Jackstar

Quote from: Sixteen on June 21, 2019, 04:08:37 PM
starving myself for months

There exists something called "sauerkraut." Look into it, Toots.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on June 21, 2019, 06:08:57 PM
You can make at home and I've noticed a number of niche sauerkraut variants out there, apparently becoming more popular.  Sort of like micro-brews were. 

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 21, 2019, 06:08:57 PM
We already covered that in 2018.  The weight loss was in 2017.  If you ask me food grade DE works a lot better even just a tsp/day.  It's here, if I can keep others from eating out of the jar.  The homemade stuff didn't work very well - this is not a dry climate.

You are the tooter, not me.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on June 21, 2019, 06:52:49 PM
You can make at home and I've noticed a number of niche sauerkraut variants out there, apparently becoming more popular.  Sort of like micro-brews were.
I did try.  Under the right circumstances, I would try again.  15-hour shifts don't help.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on June 21, 2019, 06:51:40 PM
It is not just outsourced to people in places like India...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolemartin1/2019/02/08/did-a-robot-write-this-how-ai-is-impacting-journalism/#5aa779d07795
JS, that's not a very nice way to congratulate someone.

BTW - I've been sick as a dog for two and a half weeks and mentioned it numerous times in various threads.  It did not escape my notice that no one said get well soon. 

whoozit

Quote from: Sixteen on June 21, 2019, 07:01:05 PM
JS, that's not a very nice way to congratulate someone.

BTW - I've been sick as a dog for two and a half weeks and mentioned it numerous times in various threads.  It did not escape my notice that no one said get well soon.
Get well soon Sixteen.  When you feel better maybe you can get the YT channel going.   ;)

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 21, 2019, 07:02:29 PM
https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Health_Concerns/catabolic.htm
I have the feeling you are trying to help in your own way.  And I love vegetables.  And you're right about sauerkraut.

But what I meant was, an ordinary person can go out and buy a starchy treat like a muffin once in a while.  Or a cinnamon roll.  Or a slice of cake at a deli counter.  Or one of those chocolate chunk cookies.  Or a couple brownies in the deli.  Or a doughnut.  Or a lunchbox size package of Hostess.  Heck, you can even buy a microwavable single-serve boxed dessert nowadays right in an ordinary grocery isle.  One and done, no tempting leftovers.

But gluten-free people are not generally provided single serve options for starchy sweets.  If we want a roll, it's a 12-pack.  If we want a deli slice of cake, it's 1/8 of a sheet.  If we want a chocolate chunk cookie, it's going to be 12.  There are rarely single-serve starchy GF treats.  This should explain to people why I have had to discard binge food at times.  Better to discard it than contribute to obesity.

Jojo

Quote from: whoozit on June 21, 2019, 07:03:52 PM
Get well soon Sixteen.  When you feel better maybe you can get the YT channel going.   ;)
I'll take a Schrader on that one.  But thanks for the wishes.  C'mon, I'm in a perpetual hunt for enough employment.  There is no way I'm putting my face on TMI.  Besides, I can't be seen until I lose some weight.  I still get lots o' looks, though.  Some of the weight is in very nice places...

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 21, 2019, 06:35:47 PM
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-18/being-fat-could-make-you-stupid-study-says

This thread practically writes itself!!
For the millionth time, I don't have high blood sugar.  I'm not diabetic.  Yes, diabetes can be an obesity-causing hormone disorder.  My hormone dysfunction is called PCOS.  bfn. time for beauty nap.

Jackstar

Quote from: Sixteen on June 21, 2019, 07:10:44 PM
If we want [...] If we want [...] If we want

The solution to your dilemma seems clear and has been discussed extensively throughout human literature for literally thousands of years.

I believe that sympathy is best expressed through practical solutions. Change my mind.

Jojo

Experts are saying 1-2lbs a week of weight loss prevents loose skin.  One time I saw a woman who was trim.  Her arms were not fat.  But they looked like elephant legs due to loose skin from fast weight loss.  Experts also say keep your skin moisturized so it can do the house cleaning it needs to do during weight loss.  Stearic acid is not healthy, and most lotions have it, so the better brands are probably worth it.  Or, olive oil.  When I was young, olive oil was too oily for me and almond oil was better.  Now, 25 years later, olive oil soaks in fine.  I also like to mix coconut oil with palm fat ("palm oil") into whatever consistency I like.  Palm fat is a cream, not an oil, so this is a good option for people who don't want a mess.  But adding a little coconut oil helps make it more emollient.  No one talks much about this, but coconut is not a very stable thing.  In the jar, the oil will be fine for a long time, but once you put it on your skin, it gets a little funky if you slack off on showers.  Kind of how coconut cream or milk also is not very stable once it's out of the package.

I'm keeping a calendar and writing the weight loss goals that way, so I can pace it in order to avoid elephant skin, loose skin, from losing weight too fast.

Half a tsp of food grade diatomaceous earth in water (of course) has helped keep my blood sugar high enough between meals, since I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar when hungry).

WOTR

The solution to all of your troubles in one word: THRIVE!
8)

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on June 25, 2019, 11:11:01 AM
The solution to all of your troubles in one word: THRIVE!
8)
The pills and shakes one?  Oh boy.

whoozit

Quote from: Sixteen on June 25, 2019, 02:13:19 PM
You could document your Thrive odyssey on YouTube.   :D

Jojo

Quote from: whoozit on June 25, 2019, 02:35:17 PM
You could document your Thrive odyssey on YouTube.   :D
Being on YouTube is like being doxxed!

AZZERAE

Quote from: Sixteen on June 26, 2019, 01:01:32 AM
Being on YouTube is like being doxxed!

Sure is. I'm glad you haven't let these losers talk you into becoming a YouTuber.

Jojo

Some people here get upset when I throw food away, so tonight instead of throwing chocolate powder away, I made a cocoa facial.  It was very chocolatey, mostly unsweetened chocolate. I mixed it with water like mud, and left it on until it was somewhat dry.

I could feel some of its effect on my nose.  A little tingling.  Afterward, my face had a few little red splotches, but they cleared up.

Well, it was a little tightening!  That was a nice surprise.  It also was a little drying, so I should have put vaseline or cream around my eyes.  It didn't clean ordinary problem pore areas very well, but it helped some pore areas that I wasn't usually aware of.  And it was a little exfoliating.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Sixteen on June 27, 2019, 03:09:19 AM
Some people here get upset when I throw food away, so tonight instead of throwing chocolate powder away, I made a cocoa facial.  It was very chocolatey, mostly unsweetened chocolate. I mixed it with water like mud, and left it on until it was somewhat dry.

I could feel some of its effect on my nose.  A little tingling.  Afterward, my face had a few little red splotches, but they cleared up.

Well, it was a little tightening!  That was a nice surprise.  It also was a little drying, so I should have put vaseline or cream around my eyes.  It didn't clean ordinary problem pore areas very well, but it helped some pore areas that I wasn't usually aware of.  And it was a little exfoliating.

Coming up next it’s the fad that’s sweeping the nation: wearing your food.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 27, 2019, 10:29:54 AM
LOL.  I hope she did the PC-acceptable thing of then recycling the chocolate paste by eating it.

Jojo

Quote from: ItsOver on June 27, 2019, 10:48:00 AM
LOL.  I hope she did the PC-acceptable thing of then recycling the chocolate paste by eating it.
I turned out to have dairy in it, so that's why it needed to be discarded.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 27, 2019, 10:29:54 AM
Food stamps bought me a facial!  Yay!

Cheap rice = Rescue wet electronics
Avocado peels = Hair masque
Egg yolk = Hair masque
Egg white = Facial
Oats = Facial
Oats = Bathmilk
Vinegar = All purpose spray cleaner
Vinegar = Hand sanitizer/skin softener
Vinegar = Fabric softener (in wash)
Vinegar = Blood sugar stabilizer (slows digestion)
Parsley = Diuretic
Celery = Diuretic
Vanilla (simmered) = Room fragrance
Cucumber = Eyelid soother
Tea bags (used) = Eyelid soother
Black tea bags = Astringent
Olive oil = Lotion
Olive oil = Furniture polish
Palm oil (palm fat) = Skin bump reducer
Palm oil (palm fat) = Cream lotion
Palm oil (palm fat) = Cuticle oil
Coconut oil or palm oil (palm fat) = Leather polish
Cononut oil = Antimicrobial, oral too
Coconut oil = Eye gel
Coconut oil = Scalp cure
Coconut oil or olive oil = Loose skin prevention
Lemon in olive oil = Gall tonic
Apple juice with vinegar = Gall tonic
Baking soda = Simmering pan scourer
Baking soda = Coffee cup polish
Baking soda = Tooth paste
Baking soda = Odor remover
Cheap syrup = Ant bait (mix with Borax)
Cinnamon = Ant directional jammer
Beets = Lip stain, blush
Cornstarch = Face powder
Cocoa powder = Face powder
Honey = Inhaler (breath the air above it)
Nuts = Hormone shot
Cruciferous vegetables = Hormone shot
Butter = Bruise stopper
Lemon = Hair and skin lightener
Gelatin = Nail and connective tissue strengthener
Pepper = Decongestant
Horse Radish = Decongestant
Onion = Decongestant
Cornmeal = Exfoliant
Olive oil = Hairball help for pets
Honeycomb = Candle
Olive oil = Candle
Sour lemon drops = Salivary gland healer
Vinegar = Itch relief
Sea salt = Ionizer (simmer)
Water = Humidifier (soak a piece of clay or clay pot)

In a pinch, not only can food stamps help with health & cleaning, they also can buy certain containers.  A twist & squeeze bottle? Sriracha sauce.  A bucket?  Potato salad (or gallon of milk).  A spray bottle? A spray seasoning.  A re-usable food container?  Buy food that is pre-packaged in one.  You just have to make sure the containers are actually is refillable, and wide mouth is easiest.  A re-usable food container?  Buy food that is pre-packaged in one.  But one does need to budget the allotment to have enough food on hand, so these are just tips in a pinch.

Food stamps are also allowed to buy seeds for planting gardens.  Victory garden, anyone?

WOTR

Quote from: Sixteen on June 25, 2019, 02:13:19 PM
If you do not have a distributor yet, I would be happy to send you a link to my store...

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on June 27, 2019, 06:07:35 PM
If you do not have a distributor yet, I would be happy to send you a link to my store...
You take EBT?

Jojo

PCOS is a permanent endocrine disorder which causes stubborn obesity.  I've been on a weight-loss effort for 8 weeks.  I lost motivation the last two weeks (when I couldn't afford vegetables...) so I'm "short" 5lbs from what my goal for today was.  My doctor knows about my goals, so it's potentially embarrassing that the weight loss is going so slowly.  But, at least I've lost a little and my waist measures smaller. And I keep oiling all my skin to minimize loose skin later.  As if old people, like I'm going to be, don't have enough loose skin  :-[!

At the beginning of the 9th week, here, I'm motivated again.  I've learned a lot of dieting tricks over the years and also from Bellgabbers.  One thing that works really, really well is to eat a lot more slowly.  However, I don't have all day!

Experts say people who lose a lot of weight get gall stones.  I wonder if I'd even know if I had one.  I've got over 10 years sober, but how would I know a gall pain, from old alcoholic pancrealgia or a saturated fat attack!

It's been hot for exercising and the stationary bike tries to kill my pelvis and rump.  But, I do a variety of aerobic exercises.  I just need to step it UP.

My vehicle was hit by someone 6 years ago, so I'm in chronic pain which can lead to overeating  :o.

Ice is my friend; that's for sure.  I can put it behind me so it's on my back when I'm in a chair.

About a year ago, I injured my lattisimus and oblique while doing really hard house work and exercises.  I have new stretches for that which seem to help a lot.  Physical therapy exercises have been so many that it's overwhelming.  I'll have to pare down, but never give up.

My 2-week set back was bad.  If I were to screw up every 8 weeks for 2 weeks, my goal would take 20% longer.  That would be 15 weeks.  Almost 4 months.  So, Easter of 2021.  How awful  :'(.  I'll be like 90 by then, right???

I think if I had been able to afford more vegetables, my set back wouldn't have been so bad.  I mean, a person HAS to eat something.  And if there are no vegetables, then the diet will consist of worse things.  Whenever I go to the food banks, and I've tried them all, they never have any fresh produce here in this suburban county.  Even in the middle of summer, when you'd think farmers would donate extra corn, or people would bring in prunes.  The Feds created a special program to increase produce at food banks (and pork), but it's been poorly implemented.  They say they've been doing it since January, but I've only received 1lb of pork one time, and as far as the Feds' produce, I only received it once, a nice bin of grapes.  Maybe there's graft here.  Twice, I was given nothing fresh at all by food banks.  Yet, that was the sole reason I used transportation resources to get there!  King County didn't have quite this much of a problem; most of the year I received produce, although not always.

Safeway runs a promotion a lot where if you use EBT to buy $10 in produce, they give you a register coupon for $5 in free produce next time IF you also buy $5.  A very good deal, although it's been a little intermittent  :-\.  I don't like to to there unless I know they are doing it, and there's never a way to know ahead of time if the deal is on, or not.

I work.  But wages are very low and sometimes hours can be hard to get.  I've gleaned fruit from trees when no one's looking.  It was disappointing that a local Memorial Gardens business here lets plums rot from their many plum trees.  Last year, I took without asking.  But this year they had a sign up not to pick.  I called and asked permission, but they said their policy is NO.  I wish they would donate the plums to the food bank.  I don't understand why they let plums rot on their nice memorial garden lawn - you'd think they would be glad I got rid of some of the slimy fruit from underfoot.

I preserve all the veggies I get.  I eat the softest ones first.  I refrigerate the good ones to make them last.  I freeze extra veggies after I cook them for a meal.  In an ideal world, I would not freeze and refrigerate quite so much because it degrades the food.  But preservation is the law right now.  I don't waste ANY produce.  I even eat most of the peels and close to the pit  :P.

We have a tiny garden space, but it's amazing what can come of it.  EBT pays for seeds, too.  We haven't had any garden food the last couple of months, but there was a lot in early summer.  Before I give up hope, maybe I can consider planting more, especially next year.  I wish I had thought of that before just now  ::)!

Okay well, I have vegetables for the next couple weeks.  I told EBT that I qualify again (They cut me off when I got more work hours, but now my hours were cut again).  EBT has not responded, so I'm worried because the deadline to get approved for next month is looming.  I tried to call them Friday but couldn't get a real person.

I've had to reduce protein for hormonal reasons (SHBG), and I cannot just live on carbs and fats.  It's more important now than ever that I get enough fresh vegetables, and adequate fruit.  A piece of fruit stops a sweets craving.

In today's world, it seems like it would be easier to have my head re-installed on a new body than it would be to simply afford enough vegetables.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Tangerine on September 01, 2019, 09:33:43 PM
In today's world, it seems like it would be easier to have my head re-installed on a new body than it would be to simply afford enough vegetables.

Have you tried those trailing cherry tomato plants designed to be grown in pots in the sun?  This time of year it's nearly impossible to keep up with the harvest.  My folks have maybe ten plants on the deck and, last time I was over, I made enough caprese salad to feed the three of us for probably three days at least, taking some home.  I wouldn't be surprised if, in the course of the season, they put out as much tomatoes by volume as dirt in the pot, if not more.

Just slice in half, toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, as much fresh mozzarella as you can afford (really any old cheese would do, but that is traditional) and a ton of fresh basil.  Which can also be grown successfully in the sun and reaches its peak about this time, conveniently.