• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What is in my Father's notebook?

Started by Walks_At_Night, October 13, 2018, 06:20:43 PM

So together with the casings there were two shells.  One was painted a dark green and the other was unpainted. The dark green shell was heavier than the
unpainted one.  Both shells had very similar markings on them.

Dark Green
MK3  54F
11/42
MAT

Unpainted
MK3  54F
12/42
MAT

I dubbed the green shell   "Greenie Meanie" and the unpainted one "Gray Ghost".  What concerned me was the scenario that I've attached.
A shell with a live fuze packed with high explosive or a combo of high explosive and incendiary material.    :o

So now that my image hosting service is back online, here is the Greenie Meanie

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 18, 2019, 06:47:17 PM
I suspect that my Dad tucked them in there when they moved here  (NC)  from northern Michigan and then forgot about them.

They had lived in a little town in the middle of nowhere, when my Dad cut his thumb off in the table saw and he ended up having to
drive himself 40 miles to the nearest hospital to have it looked at.   I think he was 78 about that time - so he was also getting a bit
past having to chop wood, shovel snow and clearing the roof off once or twice in the winter to get the weight off it.

Tough guy!  I wonder why he chose these mementos.  I suppose in terms of pocketable souvenirs they are a little more practical than a torpedo.  Great pics, thank you.

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 18, 2019, 11:13:03 PM
Tough guy!  I wonder why he chose these mementos.  I suppose in terms of pocketable souvenirs they are a little more practical than a torpedo.  Great pics, thank you.

It would have to have been due to their size and portability. 

5 inch gun shell casing would have been awesome but just a little large to cart around:

Gunner65

WAN: I really enjoy this thread.  You do a great job documenting it all.  Can you explain the use of foil (wrapping and hazard stickers) concerning the projectile?  Did you have it "checked-out" or something? 

So the following bits of information all implied that the Greenie Meanie was what the Navy called  Blind Loaded & Plugged or  BL&P.
These were all painted a dark green and carried no explosives.   They were meant to be loaded first into the shell magazine first with the idea being that
if ice built up in the barrel of the 20MM Oerlikon gun, the inert shell would punch thru it and clear the way for the shells behind it.  Also if the barrel cover was
not removed prior to firing the weapon. 

This guy here explains this in this short sales pitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCxITYzW-0

Quote from: Gunner65 on February 19, 2019, 09:18:03 PM
WAN: I really enjoy this thread.  You do a great job documenting it all.

Well thanks.  I've learned alot myself along the way.  I just wish Dad would would have shown me the Notebook while he was still alive.

chefist

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 19, 2019, 09:19:19 PM
So the following bits of information all implied that the Greenie Meanie was what the Navy called  Blind Loaded & Plugged or  BL&P.
These were all painted a dark green and carried no explosives.   They were meant to be loaded first into the shell magazine first with the idea being that
if ice built up in the barrel of the 20MM Oerlikon gun, the inert shell would punch thru it and clear the way for the shells behind it.  Also if the barrel cover was
not removed prior to firing the weapon. 

This guy here explains this in this short sales pitch:

Interesting...thanks

Quote from: Gunner65 on February 19, 2019, 09:18:03 PM
WAN: I really enjoy this thread.  You do a great job documenting it all.  Can you explain the use of foil (wrapping and hazard stickers) concerning the projectile?  Did you have it "checked-out" or something?

The foil bags are anti-static bags for computer parts that I had lying around (I used to work in Server Development once upon a time).  When I first found
these things in that Porter-Cable metal case, the first thing I did was to put them in those bags.  That would reduce the chance of a static charge or spark
creating an issue.

So all the documentation pointed to the Greenie Meanie being an inert, perfectly safe shell.  With some encouragement from some
super knowledgeable guys I found online, it was time to take the plunge.  I carefully turned the fuze slowly counter-clockwise and it came right off.
No resistance at all.   Turns out it wasn't really a fuze just a cap - this was as expected.

With the fuze removed the Greenie Meanie looked like this:

It was filled with a hard substance.    The final test was to scrape a small amount of that off and try and burn it.  I used my
igniter on it for quite sometime and it there was no response.   Whew!

The Greenie Meanie was not so mean after all.   However the Gray Ghost was a bit of a mystery.  It was unpainted
which apparently the Navy referred to as Zinc.  Nothing documented quite matched what I had but some of the shells that were
close were concerning.

K_Dubb

Wow great documentation!  I wonder if it is borax.  Per Wikipedia it was used in some variants.  Maybe you got some real mule-hauled stuff there.

starrmtn001

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 19, 2019, 10:23:04 PM
Wow great documentation!  I wonder if it is borax.  Per Wikipedia it was used in some variants.  Maybe you got some real mule-hauled stuff there.
18 mules and 2 horses.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+many+mules+in+the+borax+team&pc=MOZD&form=MOZLBR

I've always loved your posts, K_Dubb.  They are intelligent and inspire further research, for folks who hunger for knowledge beyond what we already know. ;)

Quote from: StarrMountain on February 20, 2019, 05:20:59 AM
18 mules and 2 horses.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+many+mules+in+the+borax+team&pc=MOZD&form=MOZLBR

I've always loved your posts, K_Dubb.  They are intelligent and inspire further research, for folks who hunger for knowledge beyond what we already know. ;)

Exactly.  I'll be able to kill some ants.
https://www.mashupmom.com/yes-borax-got-rid-of-the-ants/

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 19, 2019, 09:29:37 PM
The foil bags are anti-static bags for computer parts that I had lying around (I used to work in Server Development once upon a time).  When I first found
these things in that Porter-Cable metal case, the first thing I did was to put them in those bags.  That would reduce the chance of a static charge or spark
creating an issue.

Discharge yourself also before handling. We also had ionizing machine, something about help making dust attach to grounded things instead of PCB etc? I recall when my grandpa bought his first home PC (I think the first Compaq) he put a cooper plate on the desk in front, where ones wrists would rest when typing, attached to a soldered thick wire, attached to a rod he pounded into the floor and then attached the underside of that rod via thick wire to the cold water pipe! Ha. Overkill I thought.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 19, 2019, 09:38:23 PM
So all the documentation pointed to the Greenie Meanie being an inert, perfectly safe shell.  With some encouragement from some
super knowledgeable guys I found online, it was time to take the plunge.  I carefully turned the fuze slowly counter-clockwise and it came right off.
No resistance at all.   Turns out it wasn't really a fuze just a cap - this was as expected.

With the fuze removed the Greenie Meanie looked like this:

It was filled with a hard substance.    The final test was to scrape a small amount of that off and try and burn it.  I used my
igniter on it for quite sometime and it there was no response.   Whew!

The Greenie Meanie was not so mean after all.   However the Gray Ghost was a bit of a mystery.  It was unpainted
which apparently the Navy referred to as Zinc.  Nothing documented quite matched what I had but some of the shells that were
close were concerning.
Great job! And interesting. Before I logged in the pictures were VERY big and my first thought seeing the foil was "Art's Parts!"

albrecht

He can get cleaner clothes now also!
ps: K_Dubb someone lost a question on Jeopardy! the other day because she said "BalTur" instead of "Baldur." Alex and the staff wouldn't accept her answer due to the "T" sound versus "D" sound.

Jackstar

borax

https://steemit.com/borax/@alive125/borax-detox-protocol

I tried this protocol and it worked exactly as described, both here and elsewhere. I'd recommend it, but I am philosophically opposed to getting v&.

.  Per Wikipedia

I enjoy your posts, and generally find them to be of high value--so please wait to kys until you're done entertaining and enriching my life. Thanks in advance.

K_Dubb

Quote from: StarrMountain on February 20, 2019, 05:20:59 AM
18 mules and 2 horses.

Thank you Star honey that's sweet and you know I love useless stuff like that!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on February 20, 2019, 11:55:42 AM
He can get cleaner clothes now also!
ps: K_Dubb someone lost a question on Jeopardy! the other day because she said "BalTur" instead of "Baldur." Alex and the staff wouldn't accept her answer due to the "T" sound versus "D" sound.

Oh that is silly nobody knows how they said things back then.  I seem to remember some suggestion the Baltic Sea bears Baldur's name or, more likely, shares the same root (with the bald eagle, of course) meaning bright or shining.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on February 20, 2019, 12:12:14 PM
I enjoy your posts, and generally find them to be of high value--so please wait to kys until you're done entertaining and enriching my life. Thanks in advance.

I love you too Jackie smooches

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 20, 2019, 03:24:52 PM
Oh that is silly nobody knows how they said things back then.  I seem to remember some suggestion the Baltic Sea bears Baldur's name or, more likely, shares the same root (with the bald eagle, of course) meaning bright or shining.
That was my thought. Especially since they let "ROOsevelt" and "ROSEsevelt" go and they don't count misspellings in the Final Jeopardy!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on February 20, 2019, 03:33:36 PM
That was my thought. Especially since they let "ROOsevelt" and "ROSEsevelt" go and they don't count misspellings in the Final Jeopardy!

Trebek was barely tolerable with a mustache; without it he's just another insufferable pedant.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 20, 2019, 03:38:45 PM
Trebek was barely tolerable with a mustache; without it he's just another insufferable pedant.
It is still the only game show I think (except when they do a "pop music" category) and I blame the anonymous "judges" back-stage for the somewhat arbitrary decisions on pronunciations or acceptable answers since I doubt Alex knows that much.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on February 20, 2019, 03:50:59 PM
It is still the only game show I think (except when they do a "pop music" category) and I blame the anonymous "judges" back-stage for the somewhat arbitrary decisions on pronunciations or acceptable answers since I doubt Alex knows that much.

Yeah but he acts like he knows.  No, I'm sorry, he must bear the full heat of my scorn.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 20, 2019, 03:58:29 PM
Yeah but he acts like he knows.  No, I'm sorry, he must bear the full heat of my scorn.
True. Like when they have the "news/pundit" Jeopardy! and you see how badly they do. Even on "current affairs." I loved when Wolf Blitzer couldn't get answer on the war in Afghanistan (when it was going on in full effect and he reported on it daily!) Lowest scores I've ever seen on the show. Total airheads. Just read a teleprompter and didn't even take in what they read every day.

ItsOver

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 20, 2019, 03:58:29 PM
He deserved Cliffie

http://youtu.be/botdmsQilnU

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on February 20, 2019, 03:33:36 PM

Typically what is done in this situation is that they invite the contestant back again for another shot, with or without making a big apology over it.