• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How to Improve Coast to Coast - Observations, Evaluations and Suggestions

Started by Zircon, July 13, 2012, 09:11:41 AM

Virtual

Unfortunately the only way to save Coast to Coast is for Clear Channel to sell it. They have controlling rights to what "Message" is being programed. To me Noory is just doing his job. He is a shill for Clear Channel.

Noory earns his big contract by being (or acting like) what CC needs him to be. Ignorant. Not too smart, a bumbling personality and a danger to no one (except people that actually listen to him and take him seriously). He is the ultimate clown. Coast to Coast AM is engineered, programed and marketed to talk to the right wing lunatic fringe. It is a repackaged Rush Limbaugh show. The message is the same but the content has a different flavor.

The only redeeming qualities are of course George Knapp and Ian P. I thought the 2 hour segment a few weeks ago on how the news is being manipulated was a brilliant topic (Knapp). C2C is just another blog putting up sensational news in an effort to say "look at me".

Art Bell was the master of this stuff for sure. But he also gave serious scientists a forum. What other radio show allows a Scientist to have 2 to 3 hours of discussion time with a talented radio personality? Art Bell was smart enough to put a wide spectrum of voices on his show. From the fringes to the peer reviewed scientist. He was also smart enough to have critical discussions with these scientists about a wide variety of topics.

The scientific community is a small world. When one person says they had a great experience on C2C with Art Bell then other people are more apt to make an appearance if asked.

Changes to C2C needed.

1. Get a host in there that can actually have a conversation. One that is smart. More George Knapp, less J.B. Wells - The problem with that -- it is going against Clear Channels marketing demographic. Science is evil and maybe that is why Noory and Wells ask do you believe in God so often. God first then maybe we will think about how your OPINION as a scientist. As long as it does not interfere with our world view of course.

2. Get a wide variety of guests to explore topics. Well I think at this point C2C is just a book selling machine on a publicists speed dial - period. That is the line between entertainment and actual information. The two shall rarely meet these days.

C2C can't get or doesn't want quality, informed, intelligent guests. I am not sure which one it is or if it is a combination of both. But who care if we have lost all credibility, we are marketing to a demographic. Most of those informed intelligent people don't fit into the worldview of our demographic.

I haven't been able to listen to a George Noory show for years since they went full blown Clear Channel propaganda mode. Does Bain Capital still have a stake in Clear Channel? They did when the Holy Roller viewpoint took over Coast To Coast four years ago. I looked it up when Romney was running for President last time.

So it goes back to - who is Clear Channel Communications. Just another marketing tool for the Right Wing propaganda show. And a small side note. Who allowed communication companies to consolidate, gobble up as many outlets as possible and create a narrow/polarized viewpoint on the American population. The last Republican Presidential Administration.

Rasputin

Quote from: Virtual on August 08, 2012, 02:01:21 PM
Unfortunately the only way to save Coast to Coast is for Clear Channel to sell it. They have controlling rights to what "Message" is being programed. To me Noory is just doing his job. He is a shill for Clear Channel.

Noory earns his big contract by being (or acting like) what CC needs him to be. Ignorant. Not too smart, a bumbling personality and a danger to no one (except people that actually listen to him and take him seriously). He is the ultimate clown. Coast to Coast AM is engineered, programed and marketed to talk to the right wing lunatic fringe. It is a repackaged Rush Limbaugh show. The message is the same but the content has a different flavor.

The only redeeming qualities are of course George Knapp and Ian P. I thought the 2 hour segment a few weeks ago on how the news is being manipulated was a brilliant topic (Knapp). C2C is just another blog putting up sensational news in an effort to say "look at me".

Art Bell was the master of this stuff for sure. But he also gave serious scientists a forum. What other radio show allows a Scientist to have 2 to 3 hours of discussion time with a talented radio personality? Art Bell was smart enough to put a wide spectrum of voices on his show. From the fringes to the peer reviewed scientist. He was also smart enough to have critical discussions with these scientists about a wide variety of topics.

The scientific community is a small world. When one person says they had a great experience on C2C with Art Bell then other people are more apt to make an appearance if asked.

Changes to C2C needed.

1. Get a host in there that can actually have a conversation. One that is smart. More George Knapp, less J.B. Wells - The problem with that -- it is going against Clear Channels marketing demographic. Science is evil and maybe that is why Noory and Wells ask do you believe in God so often. God first then maybe we will think about how your OPINION as a scientist. As long as it does not interfere with our world view of course.

2. Get a wide variety of guests to explore topics. Well I think at this point C2C is just a book selling machine on a publicists speed dial - period. That is the line between entertainment and actual information. The two shall rarely meet these days.

C2C can't get or doesn't want quality, informed, intelligent guests. I am not sure which one it is or if it is a combination of both. But who care if we have lost all credibility, we are marketing to a demographic. Most of those informed intelligent people don't fit into the worldview of our demographic.

I haven't been able to listen to a George Noory show for years since they went full blown Clear Channel propaganda mode. Does Bain Capital still have a stake in Clear Channel? They did when the Holy Roller viewpoint took over Coast To Coast four years ago. I looked it up when Romney was running for President last time.

So it goes back to - who is Clear Channel Communications. Just another marketing tool for the Right Wing propaganda show. And a small side note. Who allowed communication companies to consolidate, gobble up as many outlets as possible and create a narrow/polarized viewpoint on the American population. The last Republican Presidential Administration.

That's the best post in this thread yet!

ShayP

rangers1919

Consistent sound.

I don't see a better thread for this, and don't want to create one. When I listen to C2C the volume consistently increases as the show goes on. I've noticed it since it is on at night and I don't want the radio to be blasting away. I start listening and the show is a certain volume, and then when a commercial comes the bumper music and commercials are much louder than the show (usually it doesn't happen, I don't notice it, or I don't start thinking it is happening until a while into the show). Usually I have to turn down the radio, and then a little later the same thing happens and I have to turn it down a little more.

I thought it was a problem with my radio or something, but when I invariably change to a different station the volume is so low that I have to turn it back up. I don't know if it is C2C, or if it is the radio station, but the station does not do it during the day when I listen.

Juan

I haven't noticed the volume changing on my station, so it may be a problem at yours.  Radio stations (and TV stations) run their audio signal through limiters so that the actual volume doesn't get above a certain point.  Commercials can sound louder because they are mixed with the music, voice and everything maximized. Single voices on a talk program just don't have that much "stuff" going on to reach the maximum.

Roger

Not one suggestion for 'improvement' to a proprietary conglomerate is going to accomplish a single god-damned thing.  Pirate radio stations, alone, can fix this problem. Out of pocket endeavors to emanate a multitude of voices that cover the entire spectrum of reaction to the world and personal opinions as well as actual 'news' or facts.   I think our brains are already doing this, but for the mentally challenged or deaf who need a machine for any voice to be taken seriously, personal radio is the only way.  It's not like the 'ether' is going to be crowded.  Look, now-a-days, most radios don't even have a dial.  They have 'buttons' and they move only to the strongest signal. You can't even tune into 'white noise'. Oh, gee, don't even have a choice to hear gibber-jabber.  Only proprietary 'talk/propaganda' channels. Fine.  If that's what you want, that's what you get. No 'wilderness' in the infinite bands of radiation out there.  Just earthly emanated jibber-jabber with predictable breaks for more jibber-jabber. I laugh.

The best thing for C2C is a RIVAL SHOW that has a host/programming we want to listen to!

Starbreaker

I've decided George Noory needs to stop picking guests. I'm tired of all the new age mumbo jumb "raise your vibrations" and "2012 awakening." Blah blah blah. I was randomly downloading episodes that looked interesting the other day, and I realized 90% of them were George Knapp or Ian Punnett episodes when I started listening to them.

One of my favorite podcasts is Mysterious Universe. I like the two host format and the actually interesting news they present.

Rasputin

A big plus 1 for Mysterious Universe. I've been listening for a few weeks now, and my only complaint is that they only do a few shows per month.
Episode 809 had me laughing my ass off when they played some bits off YouTube with some people who "channel" aliens. Funny shit... ;D

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Starbreaker on September 05, 2012, 12:46:33 PM
I've decided George Noory needs to stop picking guests. I'm tired of all the new age mumbo jumbo...
Agreed.   I like to call that stuff "non-empirical, non-falsifiable crap."   BUT--
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he picks the new-agers.   But look at all the guests who get dumped before the end of their allotted time.   He probably didn't pick those people, because he pretty clearly had no idea what they would be talking about, and he refuses to do show-prep of any type.

So would the show be any better if every guest got dumped early?  Would you be happier with Joshua P. Warren billed as co-host, because he'd probably demand that after a month straight of having to wake up at 3 AM, Mon-Fri, to telephonically carry Noory's dead ass.   Those are the most likely results of just "not letting Georgie pick guests."   Guests he picks suck; guests he doesn't pick don't get a fair chance.

Verdict: no improvement possible with Team Noory running things.

Quote from: Starbreaker on September 05, 2012, 12:46:33 PM
I've decided George Noory needs to stop picking guests...

I don't think George does a damn thing except read thru a few emails, check up on celeb gossip, watch movie trailiers, have some bs time-wasting meetings, look for sick stories about kids and animals, give Tommy shit, and go out to eat with his office groupies.  I'm guessing Lisa picks the guests

anorexorcist

My personal opinion is that they talk too much and too seriously about apocolyptic scenarios and preparation for them, and I also find the constant spiritualitists and "anciet alien" type shit boring. They should have more amateurs, regular people with interesting things to talk about. I dont know, they need more, new things to talk about!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: anorexorcist on September 13, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
My personal opinion is that they talk too much and too seriously about apocolyptic scenarios and preparation for them, and I also find the constant spiritualitists and "anciet alien" type shit boring. They should have more amateurs, regular people with interesting things to talk about. I dont know, they need more, new things to talk about!

This is I tend to agree with...and your name is very cool. Any name that oversensitive busybodies will throw a fit over is ok by me.

anorexorcist

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 13, 2012, 11:28:06 PM
              This is I tend to agree with...and your name is very cool. Any name that oversensitive busybodies will throw a fit over is ok by me.

Thank you!!

garagedrums

George Noory is the problem. My objections to him start with the way he handles callers when there is a guest. He cuts them off before they are finished making their point or posing their question, then he twists or re-states what they were calling about in a totally different vein, as if to set-up the guest according to a predetermined question/answer dialogue.

Also, his idiotic appearances on the Ancient Aliens series are not even coherent let alone enlightening. How can the producers of that show keep running clips of a guy who talks in vague circles, never making a point or bringing any hard evidence to whatever subject is at hand. Another black eye for C2C.

The constant money-grubbing is also annoying. I guess it was OK to keep saying "we need 157 more listeners to sign-up in order to meet our goal of 300 new sponsors for underprivelaged children in other countries". However, does anyone else find it offensive when George says "we need 316 more listeners to sign-up for C2C After Dark in order to meet our goal of 1000 new subscribers". After Dark is really not much of a "newsletter" and is merely a cash cow for C2C (and George). Of course they want 1000 new subscribers........nothing like another $36,000 or so in the coffers.

I have never warmed to JB Wells or Rob Simone. Ian Punnet is OK, because he doesn't try to be anything other than Ian Punnet. And he does a pretty good job of that. George Knapp is the best of the lot. Like him or not, the man does his homework. he is intelligent, informed, and with his investigative journalism background he actually presses guests for evidence and/or documentation for their claims.

Wherever Art Bell is, and I certainly hope he is fine and doing well, he is either spinning in his grave (even though he is still alive) or he has just been ignoring the decay that is destroying his magnificent creation. God bless you Art.

ChandlersDad

Coast to Coast will not be improved. It seems to make its advertizers happy, and new stations are still being added.

In my opinion, many of the listerners are significantly dumbed down from the Art Bell days. Perhaps a different cliente of listeners has arisen who seem to adore George Noory. They know next to nothing about the topics presented (just like George) and probably wish they could sit down and have a beer with George and talk about the fundamentalist Christian battle between good and evil. George has some of the same basic and simple belief systems of his audience, so they cheer him on. The least thing they want is someone more intelligent than them. Only in America has intelligence (beyond the average) became something suspicious and "un-American". Clear Channel is happy because there is a huge audience. CC doesn't care if the audience is dumber than dirt.

For more discerning people like us (smile), a host that was truly into the subject matter would make a huge difference, rather than some numbskull guy who pretends to be a spiritual guru in his simplistic books with Bill Birnes. George's "GEE WIZ" reaction to even the most profound thoughts is appalling and his lack of follow-up means to me that he is not a real interviewer. If someone said to him "I confess that I know the true source behind 911" George would respond "What got you interested in 911? I remember when the telephone company started using the 911 numbers for calls, do you? I was back in Detroit......Detroit is a great town, you know that? Have you ever been there?" Then he'd ask the next question on the cue cards - no independent dialogue.

I think George would be great if we could increase his IQ by 150 and lower his ego by the same degree. But we cannot. As I noted above, the status quo is just fine for anyone who counts.