• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Jojo

What did anyone do today for health!  God knows we need health.  I don't see any point in anything like anorexia, but I would like to improve my habits!

Today I did my spinal stretches for pain management.  Nothing like pain to make me a snack zombie!    I ate some breakfast, ate something, so I didn't turn into a famished bottomless pit later.  I had a one cheat meal (but there is magnesium in chocolate), but at least I kept it small.  Today luckily included lots of cooked and uncooked veggies.  I put bran in water and choked it down, to fill me up and add fiber, since I don't get much grain fiber (being wheat gluten free).

I found out the "grocery bill" will be manageable this month, so that lowered stress, which will lower stress eating.  I forgot to put a little blood cleansing olive oil on my food today but it's not too late.  I had tried putting it in my morning coffee just to get it out of the way, but I was not able to drink it.  A wasted cup!

Swishypants

I made Veal & Ham on soft pasta with a Basil Creme sauce containing copious amounts of dry white wine and garlic. Cholesterol 750? I got the French gene so it's normal! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Then I had a poached pear in red-wine sauce with a scoop of ice cream, and finished it all off with a Coffee and smoke!

Swishypants

The Veal was real young and died horribly; releasing the fear chemicals into the meat and making it Oh so tender!

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 10:19:18 PM
I made Veal & Ham on soft pasta with a Basil Creme sauce containing copious amounts of dry white wine and garlic. Cholesterol 750? I got the French gene so it's normal! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Then I had a poached pear in red-wine sauce with a scoop of ice cream, and finished it all off with a Coffee and smoke!
And don't we all know someone 85 who smoke, drank, and ate whatever they wanted...

Swishypants

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 10:38:17 PM
And don't we all know someone 85 who smoke, drank, and ate whatever they wanted...

You die when you die. It's genetic. Outside of being murdered or an accident or being over-weight for too long. My Grandfather made it to 84 and his father to 94. They never did anything but whatever they wanted. Grandpa got Parkinson's and that's what did him in early.

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 10:21:58 PM
The Veal was real young and died horribly; releasing the fear chemicals into the meat and making it Oh so tender!
Farmers are harvesting hens so young now that industry experts say it is impossible to get the pink and red cooked out of the meat near the bone.  I used to say there is no such thing as rare chicken, but evidently it has become standard.  Something in the young bones just won't brown.  I returned three rotisseries to the store.  Each time, they refunded my money when they saw the pink and red.  But later I read online that we are stuck with that.  Crazy, harvesting babies.  Just Satanic.

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 10:39:13 PM
You die when you die. It's genetic. Outside of being murdered or an accident or being over-weight for too long. My Grandfather made it to 84 and his father to 94. They never did anything but whatever they wanted. Grandpa got Parkinson's and that's what did him in early.
My dad died at 64, cancers.  Do you think Parkinson's can actually stem from strain, which could affect the brain?  Did your father overwork or put off rest?  When people overstrain, they start to shake, sorry if that's too simplistic.

Swishypants

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 10:44:46 PM
My dad died at 64, cancers.  Do you think Parkinson's can actually stem from strain, which could affect the brain?  Did your father overwork or put off rest?  When people overstrain, they start to shake, sorry if that's too simplistic.

Something he was exposed to in WWII I suppose. My old-man died of the Agent Orange.

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 10:41:12 PM
Farmers are harvesting hens so young now that industry experts say it is impossible to get the pink and red cooked out of the meat near the bone.  I used to say there is no such thing as rare chicken, but evidently it has become standard.  Something in the young bones just won't brown.  I returned three rotisseries to the store.  Each time, they refunded my money when they saw the pink and red.  But later I read online that we are stuck with that.  Crazy, harvesting babies.  Just Satanic.
You mean you aren't using the Baal endorsed pressure-cooker? Keeps the of whatever youthful meat tender and moist and cooks it thoroughly in record time? (Actually I've seen, due to the apparent Muslim demand for, shall we say, Islamic peaceful but non-cooking uses, that now they are calling pressure cookers something else. I forget the term I saw but it was funny that they are changing the name.)

Swishypants

When your number is up, it's just up. Live life to the fullest that is possible and full steam ahead. Worrying only wastes time. Eat reasonable portions but eat whatever the hell you like. Drink, smoke, whatever; just in reasonable amounts. And laugh a lot. That's the ticket!

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 10:46:51 PM
Something he was exposed to in WWII I suppose. My old-man died of the Agent Orange.
Sorry to hear that.  That's awful.  Did he suffer a lot? Like the mesolothelioma problem, a terrible punishment for good service.  My dad missed the war, but he was in the military.  I always thought lung cancer from smoking all those Newports would get him, but he ended up with colon cancer.  He had a surgery, but it spread.  He was debilitated for 6 months, but didn't seem to suffer too much pain, mostly just weakness.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on October 10, 2017, 10:47:51 PM
You mean you aren't using the Baal endorsed pressure-cooker? Keeps the of whatever youthful meat tender and moist and cooks it thoroughly in record time? (Actually I've seen, due to the apparent Muslim demand for, shall we say, Islamic peaceful but non-cooking uses, that now they are calling pressure cookers something else. I forget the term I saw but it was funny that they are changing the name.)
Haha, Baal pressure-cooker.  Hadn't heard of that.  Autoclave, maybe?

Swishypants

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 11:06:22 PM
Sorry to hear that.  That's awful.  Did he suffer a lot? Like the mesolothelioma problem, a terrible punishment for good service.  My dad missed the war, but he was in the military.  I always thought lung cancer from smoking all those Newports would get him, but he ended up with colon cancer.  He had a surgery, but it spread.  He was debilitated for 6 months, but didn't seem to suffer too much pain, mostly just weakness.

Nah, he had health problems but he rode it out until his heart just simply failed one night. He was a fucker though. My mother did suffer however. She was pretty good but tripped and hit her head on the floor; died over two days and I spoke to her ever couple of days. Just bad luck.

Swishypants

I reckon I'll die on the toilet, pinching off a loaf. :) There is no dignity in death; may as well die funny.

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 10:52:04 PM
When your number is up, it's just up. Live life to the fullest that is possible and full steam ahead. Worrying only wastes time. Eat reasonable portions but eat whatever the hell you like. Drink, smoke, whatever; just in reasonable amounts. And laugh a lot. That's the ticket!
You are right.  Worrying only adds anxiety, and anxiety converts to bags of chips.  Laughing is a great stress reliever!  Less stress=less impulse eating.  You tube is a great laugh machine, from dogs and babies to bloopers ("fails").  Portion control is a goal, like waiting 10 minutes after a meal to reduce the need for seconds...  I want to get energy FROM my food, not give my energy into food-induced fatigue. 

I used to work for a man who literally stole 50% of my snack portions and meals in an attempt to force me to eat less.  I decided not it fight him on it, since he was my boss and an elder.  I was surprised by his efforts because I was sure I would have hypoglycemic episodes (VERY dire), but it never happened on his property.  He was pretty nervy, but I learned he was right.

Swishypants

I only eat twice a day. Dinner and Supper. I do grab a mouthful of trail mix some days if I get "snacky."  Unsalted nuts and unsweetened dried fruit.

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 11:22:33 PM
I reckon I'll die on the toilet, pinching off a loaf. :) There is no dignity in death; may as well die funny.
It's true.  No dignity in health problems either. Hypoglycemia rushes the organs at the same time food is required.  Yucky multi-tasking!   When I was a drinker, I had no qualms about drinking on the toilet...  I didn't expect this thread to get viceral so fast.  If I keep you here, will you be nice to the other threads?!

Swishypants

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 11:33:22 PM
It's true.  No dignity in health problems either. Hypoglycemia rushes the organs at the same time food is required.  Yucky multi-tasking!   When I was a drinker, I had no qualms about drinking on the toilet...  I didn't expect this thread to get viceral so fast.  If I keep you here, will you be nice to the other threads?!

I am nice! Whatchootalkin'bout Willis? :)

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 11:27:04 PM
You are right.  Worrying only adds anxiety, and anxiety converts to bags of chips.  Laughing is a great stress reliever!  Less stress=less impulse eating.  You tube is a great laugh machine, from dogs and babies to bloopers ("fails").  Portion control is a goal, like waiting 10 minutes after a meal to reduce the need for seconds...  I want to get energy FROM my food, not give my energy into food-induced fatigue. 

I used to work for a man who literally stole 50% of my snack portions and meals in an attempt to force me to eat less.  I decided not it fight him on it, since he was my boss and an elder.  I was surprised by his efforts because I was sure I would have hypoglycemic episodes (VERY dire), but it never happened on his property.  He was pretty nervy, but I learned he was right.
I'm not a doctor or a C2C supplement hawker. BUT. Drink water. A lot. Not just when thirsty, hung-over, working outside, exercising, or whatever. And drink at least a full glass before you eat. I'm not claiming health effects and, frankly, think the situation where everyone is acting like they are abandoned in the Sahara with their water bottles on hand guzzling at every situation but water is, generally, good. Fills you up, flushes the system, and is at a nominal cost (unless you fall for scams.)

As for food: dried meats and fish, sardines, herring, eggs, and pickled products (sauerkraut is great for you.) Keep an eye on "where" this stuff is caught and how prepared due to certain events though.

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 11:31:44 PM
I only eat twice a day. Dinner and Supper. I do grab a mouthful of trail mix some days if I get "snacky."  Unsalted nuts and unsweetened dried fruit.
I'm going to have to switch to low or no salt nuts too.  Those smokehouse chemicals are just addictive.  That's why I try to buy plain snacks.  The flavored ones have about the same calories, but the powdery flavorings are just addictive.

Swishypants

Outside of some old family recipes like Jambalaya, Fried Chicken, Vinson Chili, everything I eat comes out of these cook books; this one in particular.

It's God damn delicious!

Swishypants

Winter is almost upon us. God I can't wait! Cracklin' fire in the fireplace, COMFY-PANTS, and slow cooking food filling the house with a heavenly aroma, heavy on the garlic and wine.

Jackstar

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 10:21:58 PM
The Veal was real young and died horribly; releasing the fear chemicals into the meat

Still, preferable to a Clinton presidency.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on October 10, 2017, 11:37:17 PM
I'm not a doctor or a C2C supplement hawker. BUT. Drink water. A lot. Not just when thirsty, hung-over, working outside, exercising, or whatever. And drink at least a full glass before you eat. I'm not claiming health effects and, frankly, think the situation where everyone is acting like they are abandoned in the Sahara with their water bottles on hand guzzling at every situation but water is, generally, good. Fills you up, flushes the system, and is at a nominal cost (unless you fall for scams.)

As for food: dried meats and fish, sardines, herring, eggs, and pickled products (sauerkraut is great for you.) Keep an eye on "where" this stuff is caught and how prepared due to certain events though.
I just joined that water club, after thinking those people were like carrying baby bottles around.... But it is right.  Dehydration is dangerous for hypoglycemics and I've learned the hard way a few times.  I couldn't find much in the way of wide-mouthed bottle selection (for easy cleaning with a bottle brush) but I am convinced.  I carry a folding silicon according style cup, too.

"Souping" helps me reduce portions.  I just take my meal, cut it up and put it in a broth of amino acids (or real broth if I have it).  Getting more water that way!

George mentioned the VS models as examples of health, but I read that at least one of them deliberately dehydrates herself for 5 hours prior to performing.  That is crazy, not a health model! 

I like sardines for their calcium.  I like sauerkraut, but it's hard to find the ones with live probiotics!  Do you think regular processed sauerkraut is still beneficial?

albrecht

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 11:47:17 PM
Winter is almost upon us. God I can't wait! Cracklin' fire in the fireplace, COMFY-PANTS, and slow cooking food filling the house with a heavenly aroma, heavy on the garlic and wine.
We had a cold front! Ha, but in the 60's. Described as "chilly" by our news weathermen. So ridiculous. But, still, welcome.

Swishypants

Quote from: albrecht on October 10, 2017, 11:50:28 PM
We had a cold front! Ha, but in the 60's. Described as "chilly" by our news weathermen. So ridiculous. But, still, welcome.

We're getting close! Just a another 10 degrees and it's that DARK RUE Jambalaya. The kind you slow cook for 5 hours and make red-hot, but it's so tasty you can't help but eat the whole bowl. I have some crawfish in the extra freezer ready to roll! Make that cornbread in the caste iron trays shaped like ears of corn! Maybe a nice Cognac by the fire afterward. Oh HELL YEAH!

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 11:50:24 PM
I just joined that water club, after thinking those people were like carrying baby bottles around.... But it is right.  Dehydration is dangerous for hypoglycemics and I've learned the hard way a few times.  I couldn't find much in the way of wide-mouthed bottle selection (for easy cleaning with a bottle brush) but I am convinced.  I carry a folding silicon according style cup, too.

"Souping" helps me reduce portions.  I just take my meal, cut it up and put it in a broth of amino acids (or real broth if I have it).  Getting more water that way!

George mentioned the VS models as examples of health, but I read that at least one of them deliberately dehydrates herself for 5 hours prior to performing.  That is crazy, not a health model! 

I like sardines for their calcium.  I like sauerkraut, but it's hard to find the ones with live probiotics!  Do you think regular processed sauerkraut is still beneficial?
I'm not a doctor or presume any knowledge. BUT. Water, when pure, is a good thing and at a minimum 'fills you up', for those worrying about weight. Back when I knew lots of guys who would use the water stuff for the opposite, like I guess?, model do. They would not drink, dip, suck on candy, run in rubberlike suits, etc to "make weight" and then binge and recover after weigh ins for matches. Likely not a healthy thing but water intake clearly an easy solution for short-term gains.

Re: sauerkraut and probiotics? Idk. Like many things, Idk, you hear things. But, in general, I hear even the commerical stuff is good? But like I said with Sardines and Herring (Nordic Power!) keep in mind where caught, made, etc?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jojo on October 10, 2017, 11:50:24 PM

Sauerkraut is ridiculously easy to make yourself if you want to eat live bacteria; all you need is a large pot or crock or even a home depot bucket I suppose and about 40 days.  I make it only because I prefer whole-leaf to shredded.

I haven't tried any of the various fish preparations that work on the same principle, i. e. salted and fermented like Norwegian ansjos or Dutch matjes, but that's on the list.