Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 12:20:00 AM
Hey, I'm still going back and forth on whether I should get a PS2 or not.  :P

Hey,  PS2 was "The Console"! 

It introduced me to GTA San Andreas. 

Wow,  the good times I had....

zeebo

Quote from: Imconfused on June 14, 2016, 11:36:35 PM
5 is like night and day compared to 4. 

4 sucked.  5 has a great map and options for exploring and just fucking around.  It's San Andreas all the way.

Cool thanks, I'll check it out.  I hate to admit it, but I missed SA.  I should probably try that one too.  (I loved 3 & Vice City btw).

zeebo

That was overall my fave console.  Played mine for years, finally let it go.  Some really fun titles on that, and such a simple device.  And you could play PS1 games on it too (just need a PS1 mem card to save games). 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on June 15, 2016, 01:38:55 AM
That was overall my fave console.  Played mine for years, finally let it go.  Some really fun titles on that, and such a simple device.  And you could play PS1 games on it too (just need a PS1 mem card to save games).

Sure, it's officially the biggest selling video game console of all time; and a lot of the games look really cool for it (PS3 too). I've just been into this stuff since the Atari days and now a shit tonne of games have built up around me. So, most of the time the prospect of adding more to that seems daunting. I probably will try to pick one up cheap some day though. The problem is the window between the time when a console becomes obsolete and when it becomes collectable is shrinking. I might miss the boat on it if I wait too long.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 01:45:42 AM
... The problem is the window between the time when a console becomes obsolete and when it becomes collectable is shrinking. I might miss the boat on it if I wait too long.

You should be able to get a console real cheap, but the problem is some of the more obscure games (especially for PS1) get ridiculously expensive on ebay etc.  I just wanted to play them, not be a collector, but alot of them are not worth buying cost-wise imho. 

Off the top of my head for PS2 I'd reco Deus Ex, Burnout 3: Takedown, Metal Gear Solid (Sons of Liberty & Snake Eater), GTA Vice City, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4, ICO.

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on June 15, 2016, 02:16:16 AM
You should be able to get a console real cheap, but the problem is some of the more obscure games (especially for PS1) get ridiculously expensive on ebay etc.  I just wanted to play them, not be a collector, but alot of them are not worth buying cost-wise imho. 

Off the top of my head for PS2 I'd reco Deus Ex, Burnout 3: Takedown, Metal Gear Solid (Sons of Liberty & Snake Eater), GTA Vice City, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4, ICO.
you fuckers need to go to a local game shot for older cheap consoles

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on June 15, 2016, 02:16:16 AM

The one saving grace about the PS1 (and probably most disc-based consoles) is that it's pretty easy to burn the disc images to disc.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'd also want to check out the Yakuza series, Shadow of the Colossus and, of course, Ico. I also heard their version of Rez comes with some sort of vibrator. Kinky!  ;)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 02:31:12 AM
Thanks for the recommendations! I'd also want to check out the Yakuza series, Shadow of the Colossus ...

SotC is a much-loved game, with really cool atmosphere, but I actually felt bad killing each Colossus so I didn't finish it lol. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on June 15, 2016, 02:41:39 AM
SotC is a much-loved game, with really cool atmosphere, but I actually felt bad killing each Colossus so I didn't finish it lol.

Yeah but I think that's by design. Apparently, it's the first video game where you realize that YOU are the monster.  :D

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 02:46:04 AM
Yeah but I think that's by design. Apparently, it's the first video game where you realize that YOU are the monster.  :D

That's pretty cool.  I know other players were conflicted as well.  I've grown more ornery since then though - I'd have no prob playing through today lol.

analog kid

They look like shit on modern TVs. Cheap used games are easy to find on Amazon though.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: analog kid on June 15, 2016, 03:08:00 PM
They look like shit on modern TVs. Cheap used games are easy to find on Amazon though.

I have a decent 20" CRT and a backup in case that one goes. Most of my consoles are hooked up to it. The only thing going into my big screen besides my computer is an OG Xbox and a Wii, and they both look pretty decent on it.

analog kid

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 03:21:48 PM
I have a decent 20" CRT and a backup in case that one goes. Most of my consoles are hooked up to it. The only thing going into my big screen besides my computer is an OG Xbox and a Wii, and they both look pretty decent on it.

Nice, there you go.  8)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Imconfused on June 15, 2016, 12:04:01 AM
Get this one.

It'll change your world.   ;)

So, what are you favorite games for it?

Imconfused

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 04:30:31 PM
So, what are you favorite games for it?

heh.  I liked Paperboy and was it called Bugs Life?  It's been soo long.

Good times,  tho.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Imconfused on June 15, 2016, 06:48:48 PM
heh.  I liked Paperboy and was it called Bugs Life?  It's been soo long.

Good times,  tho.

Cool! Thanks, I'll check those out.

Imconfused

Sure,  but I'm talking 15 - 20 years ago.  If I remember correctly,  The Paperboy was even black and white. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Imconfused on June 15, 2016, 07:11:37 PM
Sure,  but I'm talking 15 - 20 years ago.  If I remember correctly,  The Paperboy was even black and white.

I like Paperboy the arcade game so it will be interesting to see the transition. I guess the second one is based on the movie A Bug's Life and I haven't played it...I'm not even sure if I saw that movie. I think I went to go see Ants instead because of Woody Allen, Gene Hackman and Christopher Walken (whose first movie appearance was in Allen's Annie Hall  ;)) being involved.

Imconfused

This one looks it's in color.  Mine was black and white,  tho. 

It's amaizing how games got better if you compare these games to GTA and other open world games.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Imconfused on June 15, 2016, 07:26:47 PM
This one looks it's in color.  Mine was black and white,  tho. 

It's amaizing how games got better if you compare these games to GTA and other open world games.

You're telling me! My first console was a 2600!  :P

Imconfused

heh heh.

I didn't own it,  but I did play this one.

Oh,  the memories and an hour of fun.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Imconfused on June 15, 2016, 07:49:44 PM
heh heh.

I still love Pong too! I need paddles for it to feel right though. It just doesn't work that well with a joystick or dpad.

Imconfused

We need smaller paddles,  man!

Imconfused

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 08:29:58 PM
I got it all worked out now. Should be alright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXZw4PMkVug

hahaha

That's the way I like to play.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 01:45:42 AM
Sure, it's officially the biggest selling video game console of all time; and a lot of the games look really cool for it (PS3 too). I've just been into this stuff since the Atari days and now a shit tonne of games have built up around me. So, most of the time the prospect of adding more to that seems daunting...

I guess I meant something like this. It reflects how I've been feeling about things in video gaming for awhile. The thing I'm playing most often these days are older games in emulators. I do feel like I missed out on some stuff in the PS2-PS3 era but beyond that...meh. Nothing's jumping out at me as so compelling that I have to get it. I kind of agree with Ian in that into the future I'll probably just stick to computers, emulators and old consoles but I'll always take a look at what Nintendo's offering for their first party experience, which is usually envelope pushing or, at least, interesting and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRf-fe1UDM

Quote from: Imconfused on June 15, 2016, 07:49:44 PM
heh heh.

lol

We had this, though it was built into a TV, you just pressed a button and had two controllers, a red and blue circle turning thing.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 07:41:17 PM
You're telling me! My first console was a 2600!  :P

So many missed homeworks due to these two.

Surround

Air Sea Battle