• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Value Of Pi

Quote from: WOTR on January 03, 2016, 11:10:33 PM
Nope, I caught that.  It is what I was referring to as his "flamebait."  And it worked... And it should not have.  Until this post, I had yet to acknowledge it specifically.

Somehow, I am not as worried about Art as I am Heather- and I don't think he went after her at all.  When I see long time members of this forum go after her it turns my stomach more than somebody who just joined and is not really a member of the "community" posting some 20 year old crap and obviously trying to get a rise out of people.

I watched here after Heather's first appearance as guest host, and could not believe that rather than being even slightly supportive, many (most?) posters grabbed their pitchforks and torches.  Rather than showing support for a long term BG member, people showed their ugly side.  After that, I already thought that it would be best for Redacted to not be here... After watching the response to Art's quitting (long before DP arrived) I thought he would be smart to ignore this board for a time.

So, if that was the post that actually caused him to say "fuck this" and do something healthy (ignore the shit on this board) then good.  Yes, we have lost Art as a poster (at least for a time), but I honestly believe that his mental health and life will be better without this forum for at least a few months (and I'm sure if he returns, ugliness will flare again.  But hopefully he will be in a better place.)  I am somebody who believes that it is only our selfishness right now that wants Art to be a part of this place.  Again- maybe in the future- but not right now.

Outside of that, a troll is a troll- and this one was relatively good humoured (maybe my posting history at other sites that have "real" trolls has jaded me- but that was pretty mild...)

You're too kind to yourself and jaded is not the word. Selectively desensitized might cover it, in terms of the people you care about and the people who are just there for your entertainment. Trolling is a disease and you're showing some of the symptoms.

Catsmile

Confucius say, man who high on horse
smoking wrong shit, and come down hard.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Catsmile on January 03, 2016, 11:36:56 PM

Confucius also say: With combination platter you get selection of fortune cookies. Take your pick.

WOTR

Quote from: Value Of Pi on January 03, 2016, 11:29:42 PM
You're too kind to yourself and jaded is not the word. Selectively desensitized might cover it, in terms of the people you care about and the people who are just there for your entertainment. Trolling is a disease and you're showing some of the symptoms.
Your probably not too far off... I'm sure it is not the first time that I have shown signs... And I have purposely done a little as well (though I really don't think too much on this board.)

As to desensitized... I will blame it on Aspergers (it is as good an excuse as any.)  In short, I actually do not feel what most people do and I am fine with it.  I remain relatively detached and look at things with less emotion and will not apologize for it, nor do I have any wish to change.

I get that is the part of the post that you want to focus on- but I offer no argument.  I am more than just selectively desensitized.  However, I am curious- Would you prefer if Art were still here?  If so, do you think it is more for you- or do you think that it would be advantageous to him to be a part of this "support" group that craps on his head (lets face it- DP was only a small part of that group.)  Yeah, if we could make it so that all of the people who wanted to get a dig in at Art were gone I would say it is too bad he is gone.  But that not being the case, do you actually think it is healthy for him to be here (or Red, for which matter.)

And yes, that was a relatively mild troll by my standards... I have seen far, far worse (which usually leads me to troll the troll a little...)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Catsmile on January 03, 2016, 11:36:56 PM

It's an intoxicating beast to ride, though.  Can't blame people who want an extra lap.

Catsmile

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 03, 2016, 11:50:31 PM
It's an intoxicating beast to ride, though.  Can't blame people who want an extra lap.

Man who shoot Heroin, say same thing. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Catsmile on January 04, 2016, 12:04:40 AM
Man who shoot Heroin, say same thing.

Hahaha no argument from me, kitty.

boxman

Quote from: venix on January 03, 2016, 06:38:35 PM
No need to apologize. Been a fan since 95 or 96 (can't remember which because the archives have confused things).  Obviously not happy with the way things ended but I'm not going to cry about it. I'm not going to call Art a liar. Do things add up in hindsight? Who the hell knows. None of us were there. I'd listen again if he came back and I'd subscribe. If that makes me a sucker then I'm a sucker. The guy is a good broadcaster. It's a testament to those skills. Not many other hosts would be able to bring in the subs after pulling these stunts (not saying they are stunts, more like drama).
Let us say the story was entirely true.. Then why did he not do more about it?? Why did he not try to get some security and more surveilance? Why did he not let police investigate the call where him and his family was threatened on their life?
Also considering he said that it would be fine to do a few unannounced shows now and then as that would not give out schedules to his stalker, then why could he not just do a random host once or twice a week just to give the show a chance to survive?
Surely he is a smart enough guy to know that he basically doomed both the show and network by not doing that.

Not even during new years eve did he even call in... To me that suggest he is not as enthusiastic about the show like he claimed.

Edit: Also weird how some of us could feel this coming as well due to how he seemed to get more and more cranky as the weeks passed, which is just like what happened the other times he retired as well.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: WOTR on January 03, 2016, 11:46:49 PM
Your probably not too far off... I'm sure it is not the first time that I have shown signs... And I have purposely done a little as well (though I really don't think too much on this board.)

As to desensitized... I will blame it on Aspergers (it is as good an excuse as any.)  In short, I actually do not feel what most people do and I am fine with it.  I remain relatively detached and look at things with less emotion and will not apologize for it, nor do I have any wish to change.

I get that is the part of the post that you want to focus on- but I offer no argument.  I am more than just selectively desensitized.  However, I am curious- Would you prefer if Art were still here?  If so, do you think it is more for you- or do you think that it would be advantageous to him to be a part of this "support" group that craps on his head (lets face it- DP was only a small part of that group.)  Yeah, if we could make it so that all of the people who wanted to get a dig in at Art were gone I would say it is too bad he is gone.  But that not being the case, do you actually think it is healthy for him to be here (or Red, for which matter.)

And yes, that was a relatively mild troll by my standards... I have seen far, far worse (which usually leads me to troll the troll a little...)

Well, the emotional side of being desensitized is one element, but the rational side is another. Even if you can't empathize with people, you should still be able to understand that they have feelings and also the ethical imperative of not doing needless harm. So even if you can't fully understand why trolling is a bad thing, you might try to err on the side of avoiding it.

I don't think you can justify a troll's actions with Art by saying that the end (of Art leaving an unhealthy place) justifies the means (the final troll that made up Art's mind). It's probably best that Art left and he should have done it sooner. I don't see this place as a support group for him, especially under the circumstances. He's got family and friends for that.

yoego

Quote from: effluenza on January 03, 2016, 11:22:02 PM
Oh great. Now this thread has been ruined by fucking politics. Can't we just go back to debating the merits of whether Art molested a goat while high on PCP.
bro the goat was into it... not rape.
saw the video, happy goat... all the way
in ya kno wut i meN
---just a joke... and no goats were harmed in the production of this satire.

WOTR

Quote from: Value Of Pi on January 04, 2016, 12:20:59 AM
Well, the emotional side of being desensitized is one element, but the rational side is another. Even if you can't empathize with people, you should still be able to understand that they have feelings and also the ethical imperative of not doing needless harm. So even if you can't fully understand why trolling is a bad thing, you might try to err on the side of avoiding it.

I don't think you can justify a troll's actions with Art by saying that the end (of Art leaving an unhealthy place) justifies the means (the final troll that made up Art's mind). It's probably best that Art left and he should have done it sooner. I don't see this place as a support group for him, especially under the circumstances. He's got family and friends for that.
Outside of Art-  and possibly Redacted, nobody should have their feelings hurt over the crap posted on this forum- and if you can explain why that statement is wrong, I would love to hear it.  (Possibly George Noory- and as much as it pains me to say this- he handled himself damn well for his time around this forum.)  If you are going to get your feelings hurt because somebody says that Art lied or because some jackass on the internet questions your intelligence for believing Art, then I don't know what to say.  I have maintained from the start that I do believe him (or at least have no reason to disbelieve him despite the crap that people keep posting.)  Yet, somehow have avoided feeling hurt because of what a troll happens to post.

As for "needless harm" I again question what harm was done by DP aside from putting a 20 year old bit of crap out there.  Yes, Art probably was not happy to be reminded of it.  The people attacking Heather- no problem.  Those attacking Art should be beat to within an inch of their lives.  I just find the disconnect interesting.

As I said- I generally avoid trolling.  I suppose I knew when I said that I did not consider DP to the be devil incarnate that I would elicit this general response.  Yet I still did not feel the need to avoid posting my thoughts.  Call it trolling if you wish- I call it being honest.

This may have been a "special case" because Art and Heather were posters here and it would have been nice if people did not show their shitty sides (I really don't care what you think of me- I did manage to avoid that and had only posted positive comments towards both of them.)  Now that they are gone, I am really not going to get worked up over the posts of the remaining dozen or so people who still want to troll. I will continue to post that I wish both Red and Art well, and enjoy the shows and will choose when / if I engage somebody who disagrees.

Quote from: Robert on January 03, 2016, 09:13:24 PM
No, the neighbor saw the car drive away.  A fresh beer was found in the vicinity.How do you know either of those things?How do you know Art doesn't want to pursue it?  What do you mean, "insists on not going after"?  What do you suggest that he would be capable of doing, and that he would be wise to reveal publicly?To what end, when you saw the person leave?  You think there's a cop on his corner he could blow a whistle for?

We had a break-in attempt here one night.  Apparently the person who broke the window ran off after I came out & tripped the motion detector to light the light.  Police weren't called until the next day.  And that's here in the Bronx, where the police station is just a few blocks away.  Of course there was nothing they could do about it but look around & ask me questions when they came, except possibly to get us for some violation.What should he have done, posted a threat here for his threatener to read?

The police specifically state the neighbor heard gunshots and heard a car drive away, but didn't see anything. It literally says it in the police report.

I know Art's wife didn't hear the gunshots because Art calls the police that night sometime later only after being alerted by the neighbor of the supposed gunfire.  During the time between the neighbor calling Art, and Art calling police, any reasonable person would have asked if his wife heard anything, or seen anything.  Nothing further in the report says Art's wife saw or heard anything, which Art would have undoubtedly added in a police report to corroborate what the neighbor said.  That would be reasonable behavior, and something you would expect to be in the police report released by the local police.

Art specifically asks the police that he wants the death threat documented but not pursued by law enforcement.  As such Art so far given his penchant for releasing all the details hasn't made any effort asking law enforcement to pursue criminal charges against the person who supposedly called in a death threat.

There is a difference between someone running off in a crowded urban city, and a rural desert setting with someone on your property, by your windows wandering around.  Art lives in a rural desert with site lines around his property that go on for miles.

You really think if you lived in a rural desert setting, a month after mysterious gunshots go off around your home, and few days earlier you received death threats, that you would wait till the 3:30pm the next day to report you saw a man on your property up close to your home crawling around the windows?  Seeing a strange man way out where you live, you wouldn't have called 911 right away, especially with your wife and child in the home with you?  You believe waiting until late afternoon the next day is the better course of action?  Really?

paladin1991

*snif* 

smells like sex in here.

Quote from: Donald Noory on January 03, 2016, 10:54:52 PM
Paul Ryan will be saying wow too, when Obama stamps a big fat "veto" on his attempt at repeal. Bwahaha. Maybe Ryan should focus his energy on trying to get something useful done for his constituents, instead of bullshit stunts like this, that are dead in the water.

Isn't this an election year?  With both parties positioning themselves for the November elections?

The Congress is going to pass all sorts of legislation their constituents want and their polls tell them is popular, and dare the President to veto it.  If he signs it, fine - if he vetoes it, they have something to run on.  Nothing new, happens every 4 years.

Quote from: boxman on January 04, 2016, 12:19:28 AM
Let us say the story was entirely true.. Then why did he not do more about it?? Why did he not try to get some security and more surveilance?

Surprisingly I would defend Art on this one.

Art broadcasts from his home.  I really don't think Art or any reasonable person would suddenly want to create an environment around their home with security, dogs, and surveillance, just to do broadcasting.

Make no mistake, Art has plenty of money.  At this point in his life he probably wanted to do radio if and only if it was easy and enjoyable for him to do.

The guests that were booked by the producer from this Art Bell forum were bottom of the barrel, shit tier guests, and the callers were the same dumb callers every night, add in Skype and the skyrocketing music license fees going in effect in 2016 and you have a trainwreck.

The only reasonable thing Art did was bail as soon as he did.

Quote from: paladin1991 on January 04, 2016, 01:09:47 AM
*snif* 

smells like sex in here.

Happy New Year, Gunny!  You rock as a consistent voice of reason and shrewd observation, and I would gladly bear your children if I was genetically equipped to do so!  It's good to know there are people like you on our side.  Seriously.  Cheers!

paladin1991

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 04, 2016, 01:28:07 AM
Happy New Year, Gunny!  You rock as a consistent voice of reason and shrewd observation, and I would gladly bear your children if I was genetically equipped to do so!  It's good to know there are people like you on our side.  Seriously.  Cheers!

Cheers, bro!

Heather Wade

I don't know where to start, or if I should even try. 

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 04, 2016, 01:48:02 AM

Go for it!

paladin1991

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 04, 2016, 01:48:02 AM

Crap.  More bad news?  Come on Heather, don't tell me that you are quitting, too. 

ge30542

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 04, 2016, 01:54:22 AM
Would quitting make everyone happy?  Hell, most of my friends are gone now anyway.
No, if you enjoy doing it, do not quit.
Pay no attention to the crap in here.

paladin1991

Would quitting make everyone happy?  Hell, most of my friends are gone now anyway.

Fuck everyone else.  What would make you happy? 
Most of your friends are probably not posting due to the rash of trolls, but I'll bet they're still around.  But I'm still here.  Glad you are too.

PremRatHater

Don't let the bullshit get you down. It ain't worth it. Have a great time, and it'll piss off the losers!

RoseGirl

No, don't quit...these folks aren't worth that. And, if I were you, I wouldn't try to explain anything to them...they don't really want to know, not really. Because the truth is pretty damn obvious and is as Art stated it from the beginning.

Don't engage with this Heather. Stay distant.

Heather don't quit. If you don't quit people will eventually respect you for sticking with it. Not everyone will like you, obviously, but people will begin to respect you for doing your thing. Make the show yours.

paladin1991

Crap.  Was hoping to encourage her a bit.  But she's already punched out according to her profile.

Time to hit the wormhole again with some positive energy.

Heather Wade

Quote from: paladin1991 on January 04, 2016, 02:00:41 AM
Crap.  Was hoping to encourage her a bit.  But she's already punched out according to her profile.

Time to hit the wormhole again with some positive energy.

Profile is wrong.

paladin1991

Stay the course, Heather.   

flimflam384

Quote from: Darth Sandra on January 04, 2016, 01:59:26 AM
Heather don't quit. If you don't quit people will eventually respect you for sticking with it. Not everyone will like you, obviously, but people will begin to respect you for doing your thing. Make the show yours.

^^ THIS.

Stay.  You've already shown yourself to be a better talent than Noory.  You have a knack for this.  You have a long way to go before you can even compare to a giant like Art, but you don't become a giant by dropping out early.  Art can keep his giant status and quit because he's done this for YEARS and is a LEGEND.  Legends aren't born overnight, except under very rare circumstances.