• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 03, 2015, 08:53:02 AM
Way to tank the team, Bean

That one didn't work out.

Since you're here PB, did Bill King remind you of Art Bell at all?

3OctaveFart

Beane shoved all his chips into the middle of the table and lost.

I wonder what it will take for the Tigers to at least listen on David Price. A sub-.500 record at the break? They are 39-39 today.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 03, 2015, 12:44:41 PM

I wonder what it will take for the Tigers to at least listen on David Price. A sub-.500 record at the break? They are 39-39 today.

Tigers will never win a WS as long as Victor Martinez is part of their clubhouse. Chronic whiner and complainer, good numbers but bad everything else. Tigers last best chance was 2013, but Leyland let his shitty bullpen kill that hope.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 03, 2015, 08:56:38 AM
That one didn't work out.

Since you're here PB, did Bill King remind you of Art Bell at all?

'Didn't work out' is an understatement.  That one was predicted and predictable.  It was clear before the trade he was integral to the team that had the best record in baseball at the time.

I just looked these stats up:  from the time he arrived in 2012 up to the day of the trade, the A's were 228-131 (.635) with him in the lineup, 43-69 (.384) when he was out.  They were 65-35 (.650) with him in the lineup in 2014. 

Their record at July 31 was 66-41 (.617) - best in baseball.  They then went 22-33 (.400) the rest of the way, barely making the  playoffs as the last wildcard team, then lost the 1-game playoff. 

Mr Big Shot Statistics (Bean) of course knew those numbers before the trade.

He started lying right away, saying the team was about to start trending down and he needed to make that trade to shore them up.  Total and complete bullshit.  He just didn't like Cespedes, period, didn't think he was a 'Moneyball' type player (on base % too low).  At the trade deadline, their weakness was offense, so they trade the heart of the order for a pitcher.  A pitcher they didn't need as they already had more starters than slots for them in the rotation. 

I never listened to Bill King, I've never listened to sports on radio (except for the Sonics during their magical years in the late 70s, and snippets of SF Giants games).  He is revered around here though, and did multiple sports

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 03, 2015, 01:09:48 PM

Mr Big Shot Statistics (Bean) of course knew those numbers before the trade.

He started lying right away, saying the team was about to start trending down and he needed to make that trade to shore them up.  Total and complete bullshit.  He just didn't like Cespedes, period, didn't think he was a 'Moneyball' type player (on base % too low).  At the trade deadline, their weakness was offense, so they trade the heart of the order for a pitcher.  A pitcher they didn't need as they already had more starters than slots for them in the rotation. 

Beane has an annoying cult of apologists for him as well.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 03, 2015, 08:47:05 AM
I hope Sandoval is enjoying himself in last place, having been 'disrespected' somehow by the Giants (the details of which remain unclear?).

The way he eats when he gets out of sight, it would have been a mistake to sign him to a long term deal at anything close to what the Red Sox offered, but they did offer him a similar deal.  Probably making plans to steal Lincecum away next year.

Pablo felt the club was too public about his weight issues, and felt disrespected the club was cautious and waited until the end of the season to make an offer. The truth is now out (give things time and truth comes out) Pablo was a loved by the fans, the media and the cameras, but was childish and moody in the clubhouse. He played to the cameras. Maybe good riddance is too strong a term, but it also didn't divide the clubhouse. Also, Pablo easily forgotten with the emergence of Matt Duffy.

Sadly, I think Tim Lincecum is just about done. He's my son's favorite player, so I didn't mind he signed 2/35 before last season. But he's been pretty horrible overall. Velocity is well under the mlb average, walks a lot of guys. Pitches ok at home, gets shelled on the road. He's currently on his first ever DL stint, with no injury. His saving grace is the Giants have Bumgarner, Heston, and a shit load of old guys (Cain/Peavy/Hudson/Vogelsong/Lincecum) so he might get another chance if the others prove ineffective

Quote from: ASC on July 03, 2015, 05:51:13 PM
Pablo felt the club was too public about his weight issues...

Yeah, like know one would have known he was fat otherwise

He was a nice player at the salary he was getting, but he didn't even care enough to stay in shape during his contract year.  I wouldn't have offered a contract at all

Quote from: ASC on July 03, 2015, 05:51:13 PM
... Sadly, I think Tim Lincecum is just about done. He's my son's favorite player, so I didn't mind he signed 2/35 before last season. But he's been pretty horrible overall. Velocity is well under the mlb average, walks a lot of guys. Pitches ok at home, gets shelled on the road. He's currently on his first ever DL stint, with no injury. His saving grace is the Giants have Bumgarner, Heston, and a shit load of old guys (Cain/Peavy/Hudson/Vogelsong/Lincecum) so he might get another chance if the others prove ineffective

2 years $35 million for that.  I guess it's not our money, but that could have been spent on improving the minor league system, on another blue chip outfielder or pitcher, or both.

But they kept him - at that pay scale - because he's a fan favorite.  Hopefully they won't make that mistake this offseason.

Speaking of pitchers, when it came right down to it they had to use Bumgarner in what, every game during the World Series?, yet didn't do a thing to improve the rotation during the offseason - they thought Peavy, Hudson and Vogelsong were going to get younger, and Lincecum and Cain were going to return to form?, geesus

3OctaveFart

Sandoval doesn't hit enough to be a traditional fat American League 1B/DH.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 03, 2015, 08:33:45 PM
Sandoval doesn't hit enough to be a traditional fat American League 1B/DH.

He's headed for sub .750 OPS territory as well. The "50+" doubles envisioned by John Henry's computers appears to be only short by about 25. He has 19 Extra base hits entering the evening.

The Cardinals met the Red Sox in the 1967 World Series. Cardinals' pitcher Nelson Briles plunked Yastrzemski on the back of the calf in game 2.

---
"St. Louis Manager Red Schoendienst stated that inside pitches were part of the game but that his little band of clean-living Americans did not know how to hit batters on purpose. Pitcher Briles stated that the sight of Yastrzemski caused him to squeeze the ball too hard and thus lose control of its direction. (He had improved afterward, not walking a man all day.)"
---

From The Summer Game by Roger Angell

Look at this ass-hat.

How is this allowed?  Why is this allowed?

If the umpires or league office won't take care of it, is the proper course of action:

a) waiting (perhaps vainly, since he's a reliever and won't be batting much if at all) to bean him

b) laying a bunt down the first base-line, then spiking him as he either fields it or covers first base?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LycHv4CRHWY

Jordan Walden (now) with the Cardinals does that as well.

Paperboy, all I can say is every year I question the moves, or lack of moves, and three times in 5 years they make me look really dumb

As for the above Video, the delivery itself isn't my problem, there's either a big hole in the mound or something shiny that his one foot is catching on to stop himself from falling down like an idiot. Shouldn't be able to doctor the mound like that.

Some private instructor somewhere is teaching this technique, making big money especially now that two guys are in the pros with the style.

FWIW, ban the DH.

And to our Pirate's friend ShayP, your team picked up my current favorite baseball player in Travis Ishikawa. He's a great person, great fielding 1b / passable LF who's never been able to string a full year of starts to figure out his bat. Luckily he'll go down in Giants history as Bobby Thompson Jr, and will be remembered forever. Definitely pulling for the Pirates if the Giants continue to Noory.

ShayP

Quote from: ASC on July 05, 2015, 06:57:28 PM
And to our Pirate's friend ShayP, your team picked up my current favorite baseball player in Travis Ishikawa. He's a great person, great fielding 1b / passable LF who's never been able to string a full year of starts to figure out his bat. Luckily he'll go down in Giants history as Bobby Thompson Jr, and will be remembered forever. Definitely pulling for the Pirates if the Giants continue to Noory.

I like Ishikawa.  Liked him last year.  Bummed that he was cut.  As of now, I cannot understand why we claimed him.  If Marte is hurt then we need another outfielder.  I can't see Travis manning the vast Pittsburgh LF.  We have been void of LH pinch hitters so I can see Travis filling that roll.  However we have Hart who is rehabbing in AAA.  I believe something else is going to happen.  Maybe Polanco gets demoted (as he should) and we trade for Delmon Young.

Like you said....he's a great fielding 1B.  Alvarez is terrible.  In fact he's terrible everywhere.  If we could acquire some pop in RF and dump Alvarez and THEN give Travis his chance at starting full time at 1B...I can see that as a positive.

ShayP

Now the the Buccos lost Josh Harrison for at least 6 weeks, it's time to see Jung Ho Kang on a regular basis.  I'm excited about that.  So far I think he's proven his critics wrong, albeit in limited playing time.

On a non-Pirates note.....What the hell kind of spell does Mike Scioscia have on the Angel's organization?  They underachieve.  They have an owner who's not afraid to spend.  Clearly he has more power than the GM.   Quite frankly I don't see how this guy keeps his job.

Eddie Coyle

Harold Reynolds said multiple times on the Fox broadcast that the "Pesky Pole" was 209 feet from home plate. And Johnny Damon had "40 homer" seasons for the Sox and Yankees.

Fox's entry into sports coverage 20 years ago was a turning point for idiocy in sports broadcasting. All downhill since they got involved. Even the dry, muted CBS baseball coverage of 25 years ago is better than the mindless bombast that Fox presents.

It's annoying how they show only a small axis of teams, completely ignoring probably two thirds of them.  FOX is to baseball coverage as Alex Jones is to radio, and CBS can be equated with Noory.

I miss NBC and Tony Kubek, especially since he was also the Blue Jays home announcer on their TV broadcasts back in the 1980s.  That must have been one of the best broadcast crews in the game back then although I didn't realize it at the time.

3OctaveFart

NBC's Scully/Garagiola Game of the Week is the high-water mark of any network sportscast, IMO.

YouTube is loaded with old GotW's from the '80s. Watch one and you will see how mature the presentation was compared to Fox tripe today. That in a decade of excess.

Eddie Coyle

The best Fox broadcast these days is still worse than ABC's Monday Night Baseball at it's most excessive(Howard Cosell at his most bombastic, Lou Brock being the Harold Reynolds of the early 80's) and indeed a safe distance from NBC.

It's impossible to go from Duane Kuiper/Mike Krukow/Jon Miller/Dave Fleming to "Joe Buck and friends" during the playoffs. I buy the mlb audio app and since it's almost a minute behind the broadcast, easily able to sync it with the television broadcast (if you have a dvr). Live radio always has you 7 seconds in front of the TV feed.

Have a deep respect for the radio broadcasting greats. Ross Hodges, Lon Simmons and Bill King were some greats in my area. I caught the tail end of their careers. Too bad.

It's going to be hard to watch Zach Greinke throw to Buster Posey tonight. #NL #nodh

3OctaveFart

It is mystifying why Buck won't walk away. He doesn't like baseball, he doesn't need the money and it seems like he would much rather spend the time doing something else.

Even being in the Lucky Sperm Club won't prevent you from working a job you hate, I guess.

Eddie Coyle

Joe Buck being outwitted by Artie Lange on that 2009 attempt at being a talk show host should serve as an epitaph. He's a mediocre everything. A labotomized Bob Costas.

3OctaveFart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj8y2Oi1lFk

He got blown up inside five minutes on that abortive talk show.

Eddie Coyle

Bear in mind, that's an Artie Lange ravaged by drug abuse, on the verge of being fired by Stern and roughly 6 months away from a suicide attempt.

And Buck was outmatched by him.

Artie Lange and Joe Buck talking about their fathers could have been some of the best TV in the history of HBO. Too bad Buck missed the opportunity.

3OctaveFart

Yes, unusual because Buck tends to act like he's the only person who ever lost a father.

Harold Reynolds commenting on Aroldis Chapman's 6'8" stride length...
"So the rubber's at 60'6".  So he's basically coming at you about 58 feet."
He should host Coast to Coast.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 14, 2015, 10:47:53 PM
Harold Reynolds commenting on Aroldis Chapman's 6'8" stride length...
"So the rubber's at 60'6".  So he's basically coming at you about 58 feet."
He should host Coast to Coast.

That is an improvement on the 209 foot Pesky Pole.

Eddie Coyle

I've watched the Red Sox religiously since 1980. The three most disliked/reviled teams are the '89 Sox, where Greenwell charged the mound and only Mike Smithson came to help him, the '01 Sox with Joe Kerrigan being openly mutined against and the 2012 Bobby Valentine season.

This year's squad is rivaling the aforementioned trio. It's believed that NESN's ratings are cratering to near all time lows and tickets to August/Sept games are being dumped to brokers in vast quantities. I expect John Henry to sell this albatross within 2 years.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 19, 2015, 03:02:20 AM
  I've watched the Red Sox religiously since 1980. The three most disliked/reviled teams are the '89 Sox, where Greenwell charged the mound and only Mike Smithson came to help him, the '01 Sox with Joe Kerrigan being openly mutined against and the 2012 Bobby Valentine season.

This year's squad is rivaling the aforementioned trio. It's believed that NESN's ratings are cratering to near all time lows and tickets to August/Sept games are being dumped to brokers in vast quantities. I expect John Henry to sell this albatross within 2 years.

Sooo, you're keeping the Panda?