• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 24, 2015, 11:45:06 PM

Other than that some combination of 90s Frank Thomas/Albert Belle/Edgar Martinez. Frank Thomas especially was a guy that was hitting .340 year after year with 40 HRs.

Andres Gallaraga won the Triple Crown... over a course of a few years. BA in '93, HR in 96, RBI 96/97.

Bagwell's '94 would have been Triple Crown likely...in any other era than 1993-2003.

Quote from: ShayP on June 24, 2015, 10:49:14 AM
Pittsburgh Pirates...

discuss.

That Honus Wagner was a hell of a player

Wish I'd saved one of his trading cards

Pittsburgh Pirates...

discuss.

The 1960 World Series between Pittsburgh and the Yankees was won by the Pirates in 7 games.  Despite being outscored by New York 55-27 in the series

Pittsburgh Pirates...

discuss.

Use your time traveler's card and go back and give Bonds steroids from the time he was originally called up.

Now slow as shit Sid Bream rounds third for the Braves, the ball is waiting at home plate, instead of thrown like Carly Rae Jepsen from left field.

Pirates go on to win the '92 series.

Eddie Coyle

Pittsburgh Pirates...

discuss.

9/1/71, the first MLB team to field a lineup consisting only of black/Latin players.

Jose Lind should be considered their Buckner for his error in the '92 NLCS.

I copied Bobby Bonilla's left handed stance for a time when I was 14.

ShayP

Quote from: ASC on June 25, 2015, 12:36:00 AM
Use your time traveler's card and go back and give Bonds steroids from the time he was originally called up.

Now slow as shit Sid Bream rounds third for the Braves, the ball is waiting at home plate, instead of thrown like Carly Rae Jepsen from left field.

Pirates go on to win the '92 series.

The only time I welled up with tears regarding a sporting event.  i just moved to Virginia and was talking with a buddy from back home when Bream scored.  :'(

ShayP

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 25, 2015, 12:26:05 AM
The 1960 World Series between Pittsburgh and the Yankees was won by the Pirates in 7 games.  Despite being outscored by New York 55-27 in the series

I believe the Buccos may win it in the same fashion this year!  :D

ShayP

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 25, 2015, 01:50:03 PM
  9/1/71, the first MLB team to field a lineup consisting only of black/Latin players.

Jose Lind should be considered their Buckner for his error in the '92 NLCS.

I copied Bobby Bonilla's left handed stance for a time when I was 14.

You beat me to that first factoid.  8)

Agreed regarding Lind.

I copied Kent Tekulve in little league and actually did a decent job.

Oh.....Eddie, if I may ask.  Why only copy Bonilla for that 1 year?  Just curious.  ;)

CHEERS!

ShayP

By the way....I read that there are other Pittsburgh types here besides me and Falkie.  Regardless....any Pirates fans?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ShayP on June 27, 2015, 09:55:47 PM

You beat me to that first factoid.  8)

Agreed regarding Lind.

I copied Kent Tekulve in little league and actually did a decent job.

Oh.....Eddie, if I may ask.  Why only copy Bonilla for that 1 year?  Just curious.  ;)

CHEERS!

I wished I was righty to copy Tekulve, I loved the submarine delivery. Being a lefty with so many right handed hitters in youth leagues, the submarine style is an invitation for trouble. Or as my Babe Ruth coach told me "Only an asshole would pitch that way lefty".

Jose Lind is on my lists of "goats that time forgot", I'm sure Pirates fans remember it painfully, but overall that series has been condensed to Sid Bream(the irony) sliding home.

I broke a few ribs before the season started, and my Bonilla mimicry was ended due to an inability to really crouch without aggravating the injury(which still bothers me 25 years later). So I had to adapt to a more upright, slight lean backward stance basically copying Fred McGriff. *Age 9-10 I was copying Mike Easler-which is super crouch.

CHEERS! (and hope McCutchen doesn't get his forearm broken. Supposedly he's trying arm armor when he returns)

3OctaveFart

LOL at the Babe Ruth coach's line.

The Red Sox and Rockies had a LOOGY lefty submariner years ago, Mike Myers. He's the only one I recall. It just doesn't show up on the Punnett square.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on June 28, 2015, 10:13:14 AM
LOL at the Babe Ruth coach's line.

The Red Sox and Rockies had a LOOGY lefty submariner years ago, Mike Myers. He's the only one I recall. It just doesn't show up on the Punnett square.

Mike Myers being left in to face righties lead to Terry Francona becoming "Fran-coma" amongst angst ridden Sox fans in '04. Myers is indeed the only fulltime submariner in this era and can't imagine any in the pipeline.

3OctaveFart

After consulting the Oracle of Google, there has been one spotted in the community college ranks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_V3_lDIFXA

I have one wish for my son, I wish for him to be a LOOGY and make a million bucks for 50 innings of work a year.

I used to love baseball. Then Pete Rose signed with the Phillies.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 28, 2015, 07:11:23 PM
Skinny Bonds is back.

https://instagram.com/p/4er5SUul5_/

Possibly the most disappointing part of the whole Bonds on the juice episode was bulking up his body to the point he could no longer field his position well.

During the early years of his career he was arguably the best fielding Left Fielder ever.  A converted Center Fielder, he won 8 Gold Gloves in 9 years, 1990-98.  And none after that.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 29, 2015, 02:41:42 AM
Possibly the most disappointing part of the whole Bonds on the juice episode was bulking up his body to the point he could no longer field his position well.

During the early years of his career he was arguably the best fielding Left Fielder ever.  A converted Center Fielder, he won 8 Gold Gloves in 9 years, 1990-98.  And none after that.

I read an article (book?) where Bonds was at batting practice and everyone was struggling to lay down bunts. Bonds stepped up and laid down 8 perfect bunts in a row.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 29, 2015, 04:13:56 AM
I read an article (book?) where Bonds was at batting practice and everyone was struggling to lay down bunts. Bonds stepped up and laid down 8 perfect bunts in a row.

Giants SS Brandon Crawford has heeded advice multiple times from Bonds, and he's becoming substantially better hitter. Bonds comes in once in a while and gives pointers. He can't stay too long, because those same reporters who only went to NBA finals to film Steph Curry's daughter will be there asking Bonds the same old questions, and causing more disruption than production.

Bonds was great. He didn't need the roids. He had all the tools beforehand. His greed got the better of him. He's trying to let time pass to heal wounds and try and sneak back into baseball, although I'm not sure he'll be able to be fully embraced again outside the walls of San Francisco.

ShayP

Quote from: ASC on June 29, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
Bonds was great. He didn't need the roids. He had all the tools beforehand. His greed got the better of him. He's trying to let time pass to heal wounds and try and sneak back into baseball, although I'm not sure he'll be able to be fully embraced again outside the walls of San Francisco.

I agree that he didn't need the roids.  I think it was all ego.  He's been to Pittsburgh a couple times since retiring and received warm (maybe tepid) welcome.  Overall I think the 'Burgh fans are still bitter.  I'm only bitter that the crappy ownership didn't trade him for assets before he bolted.  He made it quite clear he would leave and they ween't going to pay him, sooo.  It didn't help that Van Slyke got a 'behind the scenes' deal during the season after ownership said they would do NO DEALS to anybody during the season. 

Quote from: ShayP on June 29, 2015, 04:38:11 PM

I agree that he didn't need the roids.  I think it was all ego.  He's been to Pittsburgh a couple times since retiring and received warm (maybe tepid) welcome.  Overall I think the 'Burgh fans are still bitter.  I'm only bitter that the crappy ownership didn't trade him for assets before he bolted.  He made it quite clear he would leave and they ween't going to pay him, sooo.  It didn't help that Van Slyke got a 'behind the scenes' deal during the season after ownership said they would do NO DEALS to anybody during the season.

Bonds leaving the Pirates was more about Willie Mays and their history with the Giants than anything the Pirates could have done.

ShayP

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 29, 2015, 05:32:34 PM
Bonds leaving the Pirates was more about Willie Mays and their history with the Giants than anything the Pirates could have done.

Oh yeah...I realize that.  The Buccos just handled things the wrong way business-wise.  Imagine the haul a team could get by trading a player of his caliber (even as a pending free agent) in this day and age?  One can dream.

3OctaveFart

Bonds seems far less of a dick than he was 10 years ago. I wonder why.

Eddie Coyle

The Angels being so beholden to Mike Scioscia is baffling. One WS win...and appearance and that was 2002. DiPoto, hardly a top GM, apparently getting gassed because he pointed out that the Angels coaching staff seems behind the times and makes little attempt to adapt.

3OctaveFart

These terrible Red Sox teams the last two years make me feel young again.

What a sorry bunch of losers. Hanley Ramirez is like a cigar store Indian in left field.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 01, 2015, 01:07:15 PM
These terrible Red Sox teams the last two years make me feel young again.

What a sorry bunch of losers. Hanley Ramirez is like a cigar store Indian in left field.

The Red Sox outbidding a limited market on Ramirez by a large margin and now desperately trying to move him. He's worst leftfielder I've seen in a Sox uniform, including aging Yaz, lazy Jim Rice and Manny.

The Red Sox could have had Josh Donaldson as well. What a bad series of decisions they made this off season. It's not just the bad record-it's the bad record and the long term contracts.

3OctaveFart

I don't think Beane likes trading with the Red Sox.

And the Ramirez acquisition seems to have been a point of pride, bringing him back into the fold 10 years after they developed him and had to break the egg by using him to get the superstar version of Josh Beckett.

It must be nice having the resources to blow up your team, contracts be damned, each year it shits its pants. This will be three last-place finishes in four years, all with very differently built clubs.

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 03, 2015, 08:36:53 AM

And the Ramirez acquisition seems to have been a point of pride, bringing him back into the fold 10 years after they developed him and had to break the egg by using him to get the superstar version of Josh Beckett.

It must be nice having the resources to blow up your team, contracts be damned, each year it shits its pants. This will be three last-place finishes in four years, all with very differently built clubs.

I hope Sandoval is enjoying himself in last place, having been 'disrespected' somehow by the Giants (the details of which remain unclear?).

The way he eats when he gets out of sight, it would have been a mistake to sign him to a long term deal at anything close to what the Red Sox offered, but they did offer him a similar deal.  Probably making plans to steal Lincecum away next year.

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 03, 2015, 08:36:53 AM

They don't make many trades, but there have been some. Lester/Cespedes and Reddick/Bailey+Breslow Alcantara come to mind. He also traded with Theo in Chicago with Samardzija/Russell.

There's some coaching staff going back and forth between those teams as well. Guys like Curt Young and Chili Davis.