• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

John Keel dead at 79

Started by Borr, July 06, 2009, 11:28:04 PM

Borr

One of the greats in the field of weirdness has passed. John Keel, author of The Mothman Prophecies is dead at 79.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/keel-obit/

I'm rather sadden by this. The Mothman Prophecies is what got me into 'high weirdness'.

Frys Girl

Do you know what George said to the biographer who was on coast to coast? He said "What did Keel think about Richard Gere's work with the Mothman movie?" I don't know why, but it sounded so inappropriate.

EvB

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 09, 2009, 08:03:54 PM
Do you know what George said to the biographer who was on coast to coast? He said "What did Keel think about Richard Gere's work with the Mothman movie?" I don't know why, but it sounded so inappropriate.

Didn't hear it - so this is just a guess.

It could have been his timing.  It could have been the fact that GN's LIFE is based on film fiction.  It could be the fact that George Noory Sucks.  Who knows? 

Said in the right way, at the right time, it could have been a perfect question - that, or "what did he think of the film" in general.

Frys Girl

Quote from: EvB on July 09, 2009, 08:07:21 PM
Didn't hear it - so this is just a guess.

It could have been his timing.  It could have been the fact that GN's LIFE is based on film fiction.  It could be the fact that George Noory Sucks.  Who knows? 

Said in the right way, at the right time, it could have been a perfect question - that, or "what did he think of the film" in general.
I think you're right. George just likes to drop names and be "hollywood". Bleh.

Supernormal

Quote from: Borr on July 06, 2009, 11:28:04 PM
One of the greats in the field of weirdness has passed. John Keel, author of The Mothman Prophecies is dead at 79.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/keel-obit/

I'm rather sadden by this. The Mothman Prophecies is what got me into 'high weirdness'.
I'd like to see the book made into a movie without any adaptations to make it more palatable to modern audiences.

My introduction to paranormal subjects came via Frank Edwards when I found one of his dusty tomes in my cousin's bedroom.

Ruteger

A great loss. His book "UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse" is a MUST read for all UFO buffs. He exposes the UFO phenomena as demonic in nature to which I totally agree. Jacques Vallee also holds this opinion.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Ruteger on January 05, 2010, 04:34:15 PM
A great loss. His book "UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse" is a MUST read for all UFO buffs. He exposes the UFO phenomena as demonic in nature to which I totally agree. Jacques Vallee also holds this opinion.
whether it IS of a demonic nature or not, i think one thing is clear:  if there is in fact an alien presence visiting our planet, it doesn't appear to be particularly benign in nature.  let's see... implants, forced semen extraction, cattle mutilations, purported human disappearances, human radiation exposure, etc... the list goes on.  i, for one, would be the last in line to trust the Vs.

diowulf

On open lines Friday September 2nd, a caller asked Art if he ever interviewed Keel. Art said he hadn't. I guess after enough shows you forget all of them

Robert

Quote from: Supernormal on July 10, 2009, 02:04:58 AMI'd like to see the book made into a movie without any adaptations to make it more palatable to modern audiences.
That'd be very hard w Mothman.  When John Keel told me a movie adapt'n was coming out, the 1st thing I asked him was whether they did the Silver Br., which came to  mind very quickly.  However, after that, nothing else popped into my head from the book as at all cinematic.  It's a book that really makes sense only as a book, unless you do a heck a lot of work w it -- and I think they did a great job w it.

In general, I prefer adapt'ns to be loose.  The movie did the best it could to convey something of the impression the experiences must've had on him.  Creating the characters of John Klein & Alexander Leek was a great idea, & carried off at least fairly well.  Plus, the movie created extra symbolism of its own.

Maybe the most fun in the movie was the scene where the traveler in distress knocks on a door & is greeted by a gun in the face.  That was a great surprise for viewers who'd've been set up by the description of events in the book's opening chapter.

The book would've made for a very dull movie had it been adapted anything like linearly: jumping back & forth between Long Is., NJ, & Mothman territory; accounts of interviews that on screen might resemble a Dragnet episode; digressions about UFO statistics, etc.  As a book it bears repeated reading, mostly bits at a time rather than cover to cover; as a movie, it just wouldn't work that way.

If you want some interesting material for the screen "without any adaptations" in cx w The Mothman Prophecies, there's plenty of documentary stuff about the Silver Br. & related bridges.  About Mothman specifically, that's best done as a general exploration not limited to the times & places brought up by Keel.

Quote from: diowulf on October 07, 2015, 02:07:23 PM
On open lines Friday September 2nd, a caller asked Art if he ever interviewed Keel. Art said he hadn't. I guess after enough shows you forget all of them
====================================
'Allo!
With you still i am.
discovered an keelista/keelistero?site.
Worth peruseing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
[http://www.johnkeel.com/?p=737]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Und Zo,despite this thread being moribund,i remember that much of Me.Keel's papers and archives were handed off to the promolgator?of this site.
Much yet is not on line,but perhaps all will be structured as an open data stored site and made on-line friendly for us neo-fortean and nostalgic readers.
"B_B"

Date:    Thursday - January 24, 2002
Host:    Art Bell
Guests:    John A. Keel

Ha yea i actually just started a new post about it before i found this post.. Actually Keel was mentioned about 4 times and Art was confused.