• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., August 22, 1919.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 22, 2019, 03:20:57 AM

Why "news of the holdup was suppressed by the officers?"  There must be more to this story.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on August 22, 2019, 05:53:30 PM
Why "news of the holdup was suppressed by the officers?"  There must be more to this story.

That was weird, wasn't it?  I'll look for more info but there probably won't be anything to it until some of those dudes are caught.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., August 23, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., August 25, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., August 26, 1919.

PS, It wasn't eating the turkey that killed them.  It was the olives.  (Botulism.)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/don0626/5543849083/in/photolist-8tG2qB-drAguL-cYeieU-4fkAzT-oeG25Z-DmNo6i-H5KGin-9rTFbT-7kyzzc-4TYk9q

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on August 26, 2019, 02:38:41 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., August 26, 1919.

PS, It wasn't eating the turkey that killed them.  It was the olives.  (Botulism.)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/don0626/5543849083/in/photolist-8tG2qB-drAguL-cYeieU-4fkAzT-oeG25Z-DmNo6i-H5KGin-9rTFbT-7kyzzc-4TYk9q

There are few foods on this earth more disgusting than an olive. Given their rancid taste, it is not surprising that none of these people could tell that the olives were "off".

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., August 27, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., August 28, 1919.

WOTR

How much could one ladies dress, cape and vest have been worth that somebody would steal them? Why not other cloths as well? Something seems odd in this story.

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on August 29, 2019, 11:25:19 PM
How much could one ladies dress, cape and vest have been worth that somebody would steal them? Why not other cloths as well? Something seems odd in this story.
I think it was an inside job and L.E. Mutchar just wanted to go to the local library and read to small children and then go to one of those clubs. 

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on August 30, 2019, 04:56:53 PM
I think it was an inside job and L.E. Mutchar just wanted to go to the local library and read to small children and then go to one of those clubs.
I wish I lived in a world where I didn't know what you were talking about.

*I would imagine he also robbed a cosmetics store earlier in the day?  ;)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 03, 1919.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 03, 2019, 03:01:34 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 03, 1919.

Even the cancer patients were remarkably sturdy back then!

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 03, 2019, 03:05:36 AM

My first thought too, K.  haha.  I wonder if the poor guy landed on the hospital's lawn or on a nice, soft flowerbed?

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 03, 2019, 03:18:14 AM
My first thought too, K.  haha.  I wonder if the poor guy landed on the hospital's lawn or on a nice, soft flowerbed?

Folks back then raised on non-homongized milk, no vaccines, tainted well water, and unpasteurized ale. Often barefoot and no HVAC systems. If you survived birth and childhood you were tough and can handle falls, motoristt mayhem, and robberies! Nothing a good snort ofrotgut whiskey couldn't relieve.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 04, 1919.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 03, 2019, 03:05:36 AM
Four stores... Forty feet? Only minor bruising? And then dies of cancer just 2 days later?

Again, this seems extraordinary. Toss a modern cancer patient in a hospice with an expected two days to live out a fourth story window and see how quickly internal bleeding and broken bones takes their life.

It kind of makes me wonder if it was a little bit of a cover up job on the part of the hospital. Say that the internal bleeding did not exist to make it seem that it was just a nice, natural death...

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 05, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 06, 1919.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 05, 2019, 03:19:39 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 05, 1919.

You are building a strong case, Rix, the hit-and-run cyclist notwithstanding.

A 1919 White truck:

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 06, 2019, 08:19:21 AM
You are building a strong case, Rix, the hit-and-run cyclist notwithstanding.

A 1919 White truck:

Oh yes, K, haha.  Though truth in advertising, I should have posted this item from the same paper:

But then again, it does say that the kid was still alive.  Love that truck.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 08, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., September 11, 1919.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 11, 2019, 02:18:43 AM

I thought the cost was $150-200 worth of clothes stolen in the great Neustadt Caper per the previous article.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 11, 2019, 02:18:43 AM

I get the feeling that the man who made this threat did not study anatomy. Teeth knocked down throat, sure. Perhaps even a nose. Eyes just seem a little far-fetched without some prior surgery.*

*I think that would be a fun threat just to see the confused look on the person's face...

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 12, 2019, 02:02:12 AM
https://youtu.be/uLeTn4anocY
And so it begins.WWI is at an end. The rebuilding starts, and the fires set to light the world ablaze in WWII are already smouldering.

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on September 17, 2019, 05:26:17 PM
And so it begins.WWI is at an end. The rebuilding starts, and the fires set to light the world ablaze in WWII are already smouldering.
Well put, WOTR.