• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The GabCast (A podcast about BellGab)

Started by onan, October 22, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

ItsOver

Quote from: Liberace! on October 12, 2019, 09:43:24 AM
Chine is out for tonight because her dog is sick. Gunner seems tentative. Pate?
Pate, Pate, Pate!  Hic!

Dr. MD MD

Gunner65

I have downloaded and installed both SKYPE versions (7.38 and 7.39) and this is the message it is giving me:

pate

Quote from: Liberace! on October 12, 2019, 09:43:24 AM
Chine is out for tonight because her dog is sick. Gunner seems tentative. Pate?

Sure thing, coach!  I will start messing with this laptop right now, last time it saw the internet was in Afghanistan in 2012 using local contractor provided internet.  It is probably chock full of viruses!  Haha, wonder how long the windows update will take?  As I recall it had Skype already installed on it...

There is always my shitty cell-phone.

I have a bad feeling about this, if anyone at all wants to fill in for Chine &or Gunner please feel free to take my spot.  I nJoy being a bench-warmer, all the pay and none of the work & stuff.

-p

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2019, 09:38:46 AM
Vista is such an old OS they stopped supporting it. Try this link and see if there is an older one you can use:

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/skype-7-16-0-102

Some dude on the internet called Reynaldo says this version will work on Vista.  If it trashes your system - I don't know you.

https://go.skype.com/classic.skype

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/download-skype-for-windows-vista/8903cc39-4051-42fd-a98a-bccd1c631101

SredniVashtar

Quote from: pate on October 12, 2019, 10:29:40 AM
Sure thing, coach!  I will start messing with this laptop right now.

Open it up and start messing with the insides 'n' shit. Be sure to make sure your hands are nice and wet and that the thing's plugged in.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2019, 10:37:31 AM
Open it up and start messing with the insides 'n' shit. Be sure to make sure your hands are nice and wet and that the thing's plugged in.

Senda has also used Sweet Baby Ray's while doing work like that on his 'puters. He's had good success.

Something along these lines Pate.................

Gunner65

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2019, 10:32:48 AM
Some dude on the internet called Reynaldo says this version will work on Vista.  If it trashes your system - I don't know you.

https://go.skype.com/classic.skype

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/download-skype-for-windows-vista/8903cc39-4051-42fd-a98a-bccd1c631101
WAN: That download is for version 8.53 and requires Windows 10, 8,7. "Reynaldo"  is full of shit!  That was the version I initially downloaded (which failed) because it is not compatible.  So far I have tried versions 8.53, 7.6, 7.8 and 7.9 all without success.

Quote from: Gunner65 on October 12, 2019, 10:53:45 AM
WAN: That download is for version 8.53 and requires Windows 10, 8,7. "Reynaldo"  is full of shit!  That was the version I initially download (which failed) because it is not compatible.

I guess most dudes named Reynaldo are full of shit.

Ok.  Do you know what kind of firewall you are running on your Vista PC?  Since the other version gave you the unhappy face it will at least run.  I would guess that a firewall might be blocking the ports Skype uses.

pate

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2019, 10:37:31 AM

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2019, 10:42:19 AM
Senda has also used Sweet Baby Ray's while doing work like that on his 'puters. He's had good success.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2019, 10:48:57 AM
Something along these lines Pate.................

All these grate advices, could someone start a GoFundMe page for the new laptop I will be needing?  I am a bit busy constructing an Ethernet cable (that doesn't have the camera attached) that will reach to the "Jungle Room" where I am contemplating broadcasting from if this whole thing continues to go south...

[attachment=1,msg1360950]

I will have to straighten it up a bit, the dogs have been using is as their fast-food wrapper chew-toy lounge all summer, just got the plants in the other day (fucking 34F this morning!!!)

-p

ediot:  SiriusLee, are my fellow bellchanners going to allow this travesty to continue?  Step up for co-hosting duties!  Creepy Uncle Lee needs YOU!

Gunner65

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2019, 10:57:28 AM
I guess most dudes named Reynaldo are full of shit.

Ok.  Do you know what kind of firewall you are running on your Vista PC?  Since the other version gave you the unhappy face it will at least run.  I would guess that a firewall might be blocking the ports Skype uses.
That might be the case. I am running a Windows firewall, Avast security and Malwarebytes.

A quick check shows that the WIndows firewall is OFF and the Avast internet security firewall is ON

Not sure if this would work Gunner but if you have Chrome installed, there is a Skype Web option:   https://web.skype.com

Quote from: Gunner65 on October 12, 2019, 11:01:36 AM
That might be the case. I am running a Windows firewall, Avast security and Malwarebytes.

Good chance that is what is going on. 

These are the ports Skype says it wants open:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA148/which-ports-need-to-be-open-to-use-skype-on-desktop

Trying to dig thru those security proggies to get them opened might not be fun.   443/tcp is open for sure. 
The others would take work.

Gunner65

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2019, 11:02:33 AM
Not sure if this would work Gunner but if you have Chrome installed, there is a Skype Web option:   https://web.skype.com
I am using Chrome.  I will see if Avast is blocking it, if so I will try to allow it.  Otherwise I really don't what else to do.  And I have been working on this since 9 am!

Avast firewall says it's allowing Skype.

Here some guy called "Rednose" on the internet gives you the point and click path to open ports up on Avast.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=181051.msg1280415#msg1280415

If you go that route and by chance it works, remember what you did to open those ports and undo it after the show. 

Aquino disciples are out there, lurking, waiting for open ports. 

Quote from: Gunner65 on October 12, 2019, 11:08:44 AM
I am using Chrome.  I will see if Avast is blocking it, if so I will try to allow it.  Otherwise I really don't what else to do.  And I have been working on this since 9 am!

Avast firewall says it's allowing Skype.

Well Pooh Bears.  Since 9?  I highly suggest you go outside while the Sun is still up.   It's Saturday.

Gunner65

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2019, 11:23:45 AM
Well Pooh Bears.  Since 9?  I highly suggest you go outside while the Sun is still up.   It's Saturday.
LOL!  I appreciate your concern, but it has been raining all fucking day!  I really did want this to work out, it's very aggravating and frustrating shit!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Gunner65 on October 12, 2019, 11:31:23 AM
LOL!  I appreciate your concern, but it has been raining all fucking day!  I really did want this to work out, it's very aggravating and frustrating shit!

Your country needs you. Call in an air strike or something, get this shit sorted out. If I have to hear another show with that slobbering old fossil with his non-sequiturs and Colonel Pate Manley, I might go on a murder spree.

Gunner65

This is what I see on SKYPE connections/ports:

It will not open the "advanced" tab either.

Ok.  So you got the frowny face so you have a version of Skype that will run on Vista.   
Windows Firewall is off so it is not porking you.

Avast claims that it is open for Skype so in theory that should be okay.

With Avast running can you temporarily shutoff MalwareBytes and see if your Skype frowny face is fixed?

Quote from: Gunner65 on October 12, 2019, 11:38:37 AM
This is what I see on SKYPE connections/ports:

That should be fine.  443 is a "special" port that secure web traffic flows over.  That port is bound to be open on your firewalls and what not or you would not get anywhere.

pate

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2019, 11:35:30 AM
Your country needs you. Call in an air strike or something, get this shit sorted out. If I have to hear another show with that slobbering old fossil with his non-sequiturs and Colonel Pate Manley, I might go on a murder spree.

You be pleased to hear that I have successfully constructed an Ethernet cable sans cameraux.  The laptop is happily downloading updates (apparently it has sat idle for a little over 7 1/2 years) so there is still hope for castastrophic failure.  I have yard work to do you know...

-p

ediot:  SV how does one go on murder sprees in the UK these days?  I didn't think they allowed swarthy-types to purchase les couteaux anymore?
edio2wit:  this thing apparently has Skype version 4.2 factory installed, I haven't even gotten that far yet...
thraediot:  Perhaps we need an emergency "Spec Sheet" to deal with Gunner's tech issues?

SredniVashtar

We might have to bite the bullet and call in IBM's go-to guy; this could be too complex for mere mortals, we need the Sage of Martinez.

Gunner65

Can I use the task manager to try and shut down Malwarbytes from running?

Task manager shows SKYPE and SKYPE browser are running -

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2019, 11:43:01 AM
We might have to bite the bullet and call in IBM's go-to guy; this could be too complex for mere mortals, we need the Sage of Martinez.

I agree.  I'm not getting it done.......   

Thing is, he is probably throwing books at Fozzy cat and then has take a shower and a nap afterwards. 

Quote from: Gunner65 on October 12, 2019, 11:44:24 AM
Can I use the task manager to try and shut down Malwarbytes from running?

That is brutal and probably would give the Sandman a case of the heartburn but it should work for this experiment.   Go ahead and try that.   Nuke Malywarebytes and then restart Skype.

pate