• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rush Limbaugh

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 10:10:10 AM

eddie dean

Quote from: Lunger on October 15, 2013, 07:53:39 AM
So, out of 25 or 30 years running his mouth there are 6 things?  Some of those I would take exception to depending upon the context.

Also, Google is most certainly not your friend.

I don't see only 6, maybe you should count them again.
[attachimg=1]

DanTSX

Quote from: awake on October 15, 2013, 02:40:31 PM
Lunger,

So you want someone, certainly not you, to examine all comments made by the guy for accuracy?  No Lunger, that was not an exhaustive list of all the lies of rl.  Please by all means use any search engine you wish and do your own research  oooooorrrrr  just continue to listen and believe the guy.  I really do not give a shit.
later gator

The. "Fairness" doctrine!  Mandated by state censors  ::)

Lunger

Compare to the outright lies of Obama ( To choose someone... ).

I cant' find anything on that list that compares to:
->  “If you like the healthcare plan you have, you can keep it.”
->  “We got back Every Dime we Used to Rescue the Banks with Interest”
->  “No more Illegal Wire Tapping of American Citizens”

->  “I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

There are statements that are outright lies designed to be lies and there are points of view.

You can choose who is the liar.

onan

Quote from: Lunger on October 16, 2013, 05:23:03 AM

->  “I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

There are statements that are outright lies designed to be lies and there are points of view.

First, there is no law that says there can be only one liar.

Your first point about keeping healthcare, isn't a lie. Please ask me how I know.

Your second point I believe has been stated as true by talking heads on both sides of the aisle. I hated the bailout too.

Your third point... absolutely correct and no one is more pissed than me.

awake

Quote from: Lunger on October 16, 2013, 05:23:03 AM

I loved this post.  It is no longer anywhere near the subject of this thread and that, in a big way, defines the rush limbaugh phenomenon.  The inability to even acknowledge that r.l. has lied....ever.  All the attempted maneuvers to avoid even the most basic points (he never lied, prove that he's lied).  And then the use the BALANCE FALLACY to change the subject, or create this false "they both do it" argument as a last ditch way to avoid the existential pain of granting the point that a radio host might lie.  This IS an example of the phenomenon, it is perfect.

But that is, apparently, part of the rush limbaugh listener's ethos. They cannot allow themselves, even briefly, to acknowledge that a RADIO HOST might lie about his political targets.  Of course he lies, he probably lies on his show everyday [/font]but it's a radio show[/font].

He isn't on a witness stand, his job is to entertain people for a few hours a day.   He lies.  He lies.  He lies.  It is his job to equate everything in some way so as to attack the Democratic Party, the President, or Liberals in general.  He will get there any way he can and the more outrageous the better.  He deals out the red meat to those who already believe.  That is his job and it is okay to concede the point, doing so would not delegitimize everything the guy says; but only if the listener recognized that limbaugh is an entertainer.

But if the listener sees the guy as some sort of deliverer of some higher truth, then every word becomes...sacred?  And all words must be defended?  It is almost Pentecostal.

Of course there is no way to have an honest discussion with someone who is deluded to the point where they are unable to simply admit that a radio host to which they listen tells some lies.  It is however, instructive and is points out that rush limbaugh, is indeed, a phenomenon.  No one was more surprised than I.  When I initially saw the thread subject I actually laughed, I'm not laughing now.  When a person is seen as an authority and then tells lies there could be unforeseen consequences.  When a person is seen as perfect in word and deed and they lie about others the consequences could be dire and they are fairly easy to foresee.  

I don`t have occasion to listen to Rush much these days, but there was a time when he could be heard in every office I visited during the course of my day.  I liked his schtik, if for no other reason than it made liberals cringe. He is actually very funny, if you take the time to listen to him.

Having said that, I met a close friend of his a number of years ago (about 20 years, give or take) at a charity golf tournament. This person is quite famous in their own right, and I was fortunate enough to engage this person in a lengthy conversation. During the course of our conversation, out of sheer curiosity, I inquired about Rush, and what kind of person he really is in private.

I was told in no uncertain terms that he is the absolute most generous and humble man alive. A true gentleman, and incredibly fun to be around. In other words, nothing like his on-air persona.

Just thought I`d throw that little anecdote out there for what ever it`s worth.

DanTSX

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 16, 2013, 08:04:12 AM
I don`t have occasion to listen to Rush much these days, but there was a time when he could be heard in every office I visited during the course of my day.  I liked his schtik, if for no other reason than it made liberals cringe. He is actually very funny, if you take the time to listen to him.

Having said that, I met a close friend of his a number of years ago (about 20 years, give or take) at a charity golf tournament. This person is quite famous in their own right, and I was fortunate enough to engage this person in a lengthy conversation. During the course of our conversation, out of sheer curiosity, I inquired about Rush, and what kind of person he really is in private.

I was told in no uncertain terms that he is the absolute most generous and humble man alive. A true gentleman, and incredibly fun to be around. In other words, nothing like his on-air persona.

Just thought I`d throw that little anecdote out there for what ever it`s worth.

I believe it.  He was reportedly quite pleasant during a chance encounter with the just-former president Clinton back when he first left office.

But then again, most people with a belly full of Vicodin are pretty happy in their moment.

Quote from: DanTSX on October 16, 2013, 08:18:44 AM
I believe it.  He was reportedly quite pleasant during a chance encounter with the just-former president Clinton back when he first left office.

But then again, most people with a belly full of Vicodin are pretty happy in their moment.

I believe Rush was an Oxycontin man. I may be mistaken

DanTSX

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 16, 2013, 08:32:19 AM
[/quote
Most likely.  But, He was/is a junkie.  Anything opiate is fair game.

aldousburbank

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 16, 2013, 08:04:12 AM
People say this about me also. And I'm a real dick, so

Quote from: DanTSX on October 16, 2013, 08:46:16 AM
Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 16, 2013, 08:32:19 AM
[/quote
Most likely.  But, He was/is a junkie.  Anything opiate is fair game.

When you achieve ''Rush-Limbaugh-ism'' you no longer settle. You really do get to choose   your poison. And take it from one who knows; BIG  diff between Oxy and Vicodin.

DanTSX

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 16, 2013, 09:23:14 AM

When you achieve ''Rush-Limbaugh-ism'' you no longer settle. You really do get to choose   your poison. And take it from one who knows; BIG  diff between Oxy and Vicodin.

Well aware.  Just making the point that a junkie, even a cigar-chomping, gulfstream-flying, fat cat with a golden microphone, will take anything in a pinch.  And Rush was just that, a common junkie that couldn't control his cravings, and had to entice and depend on others to feed his weakness.  If he was jonesing bad enough, he would lick the discarded fentanyl patch in the " biohazard" box at the hospital.

Quote from: DanTSX on October 16, 2013, 09:40:57 AM
Well aware.  Just making the point that a junkie, even a cigar-chomping, gulfstream-flying, fat cat with a golden microphone, will take anything in a pinch.  And Rush was just that, a common junkie that couldn't control his cravings, and had to entice and depend on others to feed his weakness.  If he was jonesing bad enough, he would lick the discarded fentanyl patch in the " biohazard" box at the hospital.

HA! You got that right! Good stuff.

Lunger

Quote from: DanTSX on October 16, 2013, 09:40:57 AM

I am the same way but with me its Cheese-Its!

Juan

When is it a lie and when is it that the speaker is just wrong?  For instance, Mr. Obama's statement about keeping your insurance.  He didn't write the law.  In fact, there are reports that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid intentionally ignored the president.  As Rep. Pelosi said, we had to pass the bill to find out what was in it.  It's entirely possible that Mr. Obama had no more idea than I did.

As for Onan's statement that there is no law prohibiting more than one liar at a time, maybe we should pass one.

Quote from: Juan on January 10, 2014, 12:38:04 PM
...  It's entirely possible that Mr. Obama had no more idea than I did...

Obama has shown himself to be a liar on just about everything that can be lied about, he certainly is no longer entitled to the benefit of the doubt.

b_dubb

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 10, 2014, 11:26:03 PM
Obama has shown himself to be a liar on just about everything that can be lied about, he certainly is no longer entitled to the benefit of the doubt.
Show me a politician who has been truthful in everything they've ever done.  Or a person.  Take the politician out of it.

The problem here is not what Obama said or didn't say. It is the insurance industry's response to ACA.  Dropping policies that no longer meet their profit margins.  The real problem with healthcare in America is the evil alliance between providers and insurance.  It is a tangled, uncaring mess.  But if I had $300 k in debt from med school I'd be an asshole too.  Which is why I didn't go into medicine.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 11, 2014, 02:33:49 PM
Show me a politician who has been truthful in everything they've ever done.  Or a person.  Take the politician out of it.

The problem here is not what Obama said or didn't say. It is the insurance industry's response to ACA.  Dropping policies that no longer meet their profit margins...

Those policies were dropped because they were made illegal.  They didn't meet the new arbitrary ObamaCare standards.  Those policies were profitable or they wouldn't have been issued in the first place - do you really think the insurance companies wanted to lose all those customers? 

You are in tool territory with that post

b_dubb

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 11, 2014, 03:44:28 PM
Those policies were dropped because they were made illegal.  They didn't meet the new arbitrary ObamaCare standards.  Those policies were profitable or they wouldn't have been issued in the first place - do you really think the insurance companies wanted to lose all those customers? 

You are in tool territory with that post
Whatever.  Let me know when you find Saddam's yellow cake uranium.

Lunger

Quote from: b_dubb on January 11, 2014, 02:33:49 PM

The problem here is not what Obama said or didn't say. It is the insurance industry's response to ACA.  Dropping policies that no longer meet their profit margins.  The real problem with healthcare in America is the evil alliance between providers and insurance.  It is a tangled, uncaring mess.  But if I had $300 k in debt from med school I'd be an asshole too.  Which is why I didn't go into medicine.
Wow!  You really drink the kool-aid don't you?

b_dubb

Quote from: Lunger on January 13, 2014, 06:50:27 AM
Wow!  You really drink the kool-aid don't you?
Have you never found yourself with a medical bill that insurance wouldn't pay on despite the fact you've faithfully paid your premiums for YEARS?

Lunger

Quote from: b_dubb on January 13, 2014, 09:51:04 AM
Have you never found yourself with a medical bill that insurance wouldn't pay on despite the fact you've faithfully paid your premiums for YEARS?

No.  I haven't. 

And, if you think that problem has been solved you're stupider then I think you are.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 13, 2014, 09:51:04 AM

This is the kind of shit a medical insurance reform bill should have addressed - the actual problems in the industry.

But that is a separate issue from what we were talking abut - millions of people losing their plans now.  The same policies that people were told repeatedly by Obama and every other Democrat in the House and Senate that they could keep if they liked them.  Those Dem's lied about it for several years.  They knew they were lying.  They knew they structured the legislation so this would not kick in until after the 2012 election.  They had several years to fix the legislation and they didn't.

They knew they had intentionally put so many different requirements into the ObamaCare bill that most policies would not meet every requirement and would have to be cancelled.  It was planned that way to get as many people into ObmaCare as possible.  When certain unions, big businesses, and government entities that were cronies and contributors of Obama balked, he gave them waivers and exceptions allowing them to keep their nonconforming policies, but not the rest of us.  It's called corruption, and if we had a fair media that was not part of the 'Progressive' coalition, it would be reported honestly instead of tolerated and covered up as much as possible.

It wasn't he insurance companies doing all that.  Some of the Repubs tried to get it fixed - that was what the shutdown was all about - if you recall, it was the Tea Party against Obama, the Dem's, and the establishment Repubs, NOT everyone in DC against the insurance companies.

Yes, the healthcare  insurance industry is full of rats.  Yes, Obama made it worse on purpose as an interim step to the long term Democrat goal of a national health care system that the people of this country do not want.

Mark Steyn is subbing for Rush today (which is why I am listening). The man is on fire! Funny, intelligent, and relevant. Why doesn`t this man have a show of his own??

ItsOver

That's a good question.  Mark Steyn is excellent.  Good natured but humorous and witty. 

b_dubb

Quote from: Lunger on January 14, 2014, 06:23:25 AM
No.  I haven't. 

And, if you think that problem has been solved you're stupider then I think you are.
I got a $15k bill for shoulder rehab back in 1989.  After a lot of shouting the bill was dismissed because the two princesses that were working the front desk told me insurance would cover the procedures when in fact it didn't pay for shit.  And how do you get to $15k from ice packs and massage? 

Quote from: b_dubb on March 10, 2014, 12:56:14 PMAnd how do you get to $15k from ice packs and massage?

If they were the kind of massages I used to get in Thailand...

b_dubb

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 10, 2014, 01:56:19 PM
If they were the kind of massages I used to get in Thailand...
Little boys?