• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Apple security rules leave inherited iPad useless, say sons

Started by wr250, March 06, 2014, 06:36:38 AM

wr250

A man whose mother bequeathed her iPad to her family in her will says Apple's security rules are too restrictive.

Josh Grant, 26, from London, told BBC Radio 4's You & Yours his mother bought the tablet during her cancer treatment.

Since her death, they have been unable to unlock the device, despite providing Apple with copies of her will, death certificate and solicitor's letter.

Apple says its security measures have led the industry in helping customers protect lost or stolen devices.

Anthea Grant bought the tablet two years ago when she had her first cancer diagnosis, using it mainly for games and for video calling to keep in touch with her sons.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26448158

steelbot

So they can't figure out how to put it into restore mode? lol, um that's a problem.

-ps-
this isn't news it's someone that should have sought out better answers. 

wr250

Quote from: steelbot on March 06, 2014, 08:18:08 AM
So they can't figure out how to put it into restore mode? lol, um that's a problem.

-ps-
this isn't news it's someone that should have sought out better answers.

you can restore it, it still asks for the apple id to use the device. you can put the ipad into dfu mode, then restore it, asks for the apple id. in short apple has locked it down to the point where the device becomes useless if the apple id is lost/forgotten or in this case , goes to the grave.
unless you have the programmer the logic board is programmed with at the factory,  the only option is to get apple to change the password. apple wants a court order to do so.

steelbot

Quote from: wr250 on March 06, 2014, 08:31:13 AM
you can restore it, it still asks for the apple id to use the device. you can put the ipad into dfu mode, then restore it, asks for the apple id. in short apple has locked it down to the point where the device becomes useless if the apple id is lost/forgotten or in this case , goes to the grave.
unless you have the programmer the logic board is programmed with at the factory,  the only option is to get apple to change the password. apple wants a court order to do so.
I've never ran into this, I've always put my items in dfu mode and fresh wiped em before a jailbreak.  They've never asked me for my id until i tried to put my original purchases back on the device, but those I've sold they just put their new itunes info in and wala - worked for them.  The ones I sold were before ios7 so don't know if that has to do with it. 

iphone 3, 4, 5 - ipod 3,4, ipad 2,3,mini

wr250

Quote from: steelbot on March 06, 2014, 11:56:49 AM
I've never ran into this, I've always put my items in dfu mode and fresh wiped em before a jailbreak.  They've never asked me for my id until i tried to put my original purchases back on the device, but those I've sold they just put their new itunes info in and wala - worked for them.  The ones I sold were before ios7 so don't know if that has to do with it. 

iphone 3, 4, 5 - ipod 3,4, ipad 2,3,mini

its an ios7 thing. apple and their walled garden i guess, trying to cut down on theft. theres a bunch on ebay for cheap, activation lock.