• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What kind of phone do you have?

Started by MV/Liberace!, December 22, 2012, 03:00:16 AM

stevesh

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 22, 2012, 07:33:03 PM
         I've never had a cell phone either...and almost entirely based on social anxiety, ie: wanting to avoid contact. I detest and despise phones...usually due to who is on the other end.

No land line, but I have a cell phone for driving emergencies. We're all old enough to remember breaking down somewhere on an expressway, always exactly between two distant exits, and having to flag a ride to a pay phone.

Tracfone requires that you purchase minutes every 90 days, so I currently have 828 minutes and can't remember the last time I accepted an incoming call. Friends and family know I prefer email.

My main beef with talking on a phone is that I can't read body language, so I can't tell if I'm being lied to. Paranoia rather than social anxiety, I guess.

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: ziznak on December 23, 2012, 07:42:56 AM
I'm actually very surprised at the "elderly people afraid of technology" vibe I get in this thread.  I really figured everybody had some sort of cell phone here.
FYI, I know I should never post when I'm on a coffee high, but I couldn't resist.

I think the low-tech approach has grown with some younger counterparts. The smart ones atleast. I use to say the poor ones still had low tech, but I know plenty of jobless people with cellphones. Some even give their 5 year old kid a phone... WTF!?! It never fails to amaze me.

I got my first cellphone in 1996. It was a red nokia, and I don't even remember the providor, but I bought it at the mall. I think it was The company that turned into Verizon... I think they Actually I didn't pay, my mom payed lol.
Then flip phones came out like around 1998 or 99 and I upgraded.
In 2002 I was overseas and and got my first phone with a external camera that you could plug in, and it had color! In fact, I could put pictures on it. Everyone was like Holycrap! lol
In 2004 I got a Razor which I actually liked the most.
I don't remember the exact date I got the G1, but it was the same year it came out. I paid $400 for it, and a few months later upgraded to the G2 for another $400ish
I never got into the Iphone because I was always in the driod market.
2009 I give my Google phone to my brother, and bought a cricket phone. It is the cheapest POS I could find. Free for signing up for their service.
2010, installed a local land line, and got rid of my cellphone as well as facebook. Why? Because I refuse to let material and electronic items control my life beyond just surfing the web. America would absolutly collapse if the Cell phone networks were all shut down. People are dumb with out their smart phones lol.

I find it funny that nobody likes to call me on my land line as much. Actually, I like it. No more $120+75 for phone and internet per month. What a scam!

It's sad to see the Mcdonalds worker holding a Iphone. People feel if you don't have one, your dysfunctional or somethings wrong with you.

I don't care who's kid just had a snow white birthday part, I don't care who just got married, I don't care who got their car repoed, bought a house, or who gained 100lbs. I just don't give a flying crap about what the majority of people in my circle DO care about.
BTW Bashing Snooring is more entertaining than reading what someone ate for dinner on FB.
All I got to say is I don't miss the attention whores, and I'm sure they don't miss me either lol.
I think a lot of my view has to do with the fact that I was the first to get a Computer, The internet, and Cell phone on my block. I was ahead of the game and saw the changes in ways others couldn't. I didn't like the changes that I saw. I think it's so dumb they cost as much as flat screen TV and computers when all you need them for is to talk???

HorrorRetro

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on December 23, 2012, 09:06:19 AM
FYI, I know I should never post when I'm on a coffee high, but I couldn't resist.

I think the low-tech approach has grown with some younger counterparts.

The same holds true in photography circles.  Many people are dumping or at least setting aside their DSLR's and using the extra simple Holga or Diana "toy" cameras.  I use both.  I have Canon and Nikon DSLRs, but I also have a Diana 120 film camera.  While I've always loved technology, I think you reach a certain saturation point and have to step back a bit and relearn the simple ways of communicating and capturing images. 

Sardondi

Don't know about the "elderly-afraid-of-technology vibe", but I am nonplussed about how top-line phones are getting bigger and more unwieldy. And "unwieldy" does include the massive over-inclusion of apps. I have  a phone now - a gift of course - which looks like a baby iPad and is loaded with so many apps that I will never use 95% of them. I can hardly put the damn thing in my pocket. It's too damn big, and I hate having to go through the double tap or slide-up business to even be able to answer the damn thing.

Best phone I ever had was 12 years ago - a Nokia flip: very simple operation, perfect size, fit my hand and virtually indestructible. But my favorite comm method was always push-to-talk. If you ever use it you'll never want to go back. So incredibly easy, and as close to speed-of-thought comm as we'll get in any of our lifetimes.

And speaking of increasing size of phones, I just ran into a microscopically small remote for a tv sound strip. Literally, it is hardly longer than a matchbox, and 1/10 the thickness. You can hardly feel it, it is so light and insubstantial. It has already proved to be very adept at hiding from anyone who wants it, and is obviously destined to be lost. To me it is an engineering and design disaster, a massive fail. There is certainly no necessity for a tiny remote, and hardly any benefit to be gained from having it; while the negatives against it just pile up. Surely the majority of users don't like these things.

Juan

As for cameras, now, I prefer my 1945 Speed Graphic.  If I could just find someone making GE #5 flash bulbs again.  Singe the hair on people 6-feet away.

MV/Liberace!

I'm actually very surprised at the "elderly people afraid of technology" vibe I get in this thread.  I really figured everybody had some sort of cell phone here.

No kidding. You people are a technological buzz kill.

analog kid

Get offa my lawn!

analog kid

Quote from: Sardondi on December 23, 2012, 02:05:26 PM
Don't know about the "elderly-afraid-of-technology vibe", but I am nonplussed about how top-line phones are getting bigger and more unwieldy. And "unwieldy" does include the massive over-inclusion of apps. I have  a phone now - a gift of course - which looks like a baby iPad and is loaded with so many apps that I will never use 95% of them. I can hardly put the damn thing in my pocket. It's too damn big, and I hate having to go through the double tap or slide-up business to even be able to answer the damn thing.

How about a 6.1' phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6sdOttZJo-o#!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Em Vee on December 23, 2012, 05:12:45 PM
No kidding. You people are a technological buzz kill.
AND...I'm so tight with money that Jews make jokes about me.

ziznak

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on December 23, 2012, 09:06:19 AM
People are dumb with out their smart phones lol. 
So friggin true.  I find it hilariously uh-MAZE-EEEN that eveybody is walking around with all of mankind's knowledge in their pocket yet all they do with it is watch baby fart videos and pole dancer fails.

stevesh

Quote from: Sardondi on December 23, 2012, 02:05:26 PM
But my favorite comm method was always push-to-talk. If you ever use it you'll never want to go back. So incredibly easy, and as close to speed-of-thought comm as we'll get in any of our lifetimes.

Does that mean the walkie-talkie mode, making you one of those people who forced me to listen to both sides of your annoying conversation ?  :)

BobGrau

Quote from: analog kid on December 22, 2012, 09:22:51 PM
I do too as well. Have had severe OCD all my life, emphasis on the obsessive part, so I have to live with my memories all day and forever. Not even approaching the severity of hyperthymesia by any stretch, but what I avoid is making new memories. Which means avoiding social interaction. Might not be impeccable logic, but it's the easy way out, I guess.

Still haven't decided whether I like people or despise them totally.

You're totally singing my tune here, but I make an effort to collect 'good' memories. Your personality is pretty much the sum of your memories, so think nutritionally!

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on December 24, 2012, 03:53:14 AM
Does that mean the walkie-talkie mode, making you one of those people who forced me to listen to both sides of your annoying conversation ?  :)

Yes...if I had ever been so rude or clueless as to have been so intrusive. Actually I'm  one of those people who confront the bullies of the world who pollute common spaces with their personal conversations, be they by PTT or cell. Nothing pisses me off more than to be in a doctor's waiting room and have some jackass come in and presume that he's special enough to inflict his 5-minute conversation with his broker on a roomful of strangers. I usually confront such jerks.

What's a phone...oh, wait, you mean those telecommunication devices humans use?
As a bioengineered replicant, I do not require one. I have access to signals without the use of external whatchamacallit thingamabobs.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on December 30, 2012, 09:35:52 PM
What's a phone...oh, wait, you mean those telecommunication devices humans use?
As a bioengineered replicant, I do not require one. I have access to signals without the use of external whatchamacallit thingamabobs.

There's always a show off!

I had Nokias, the last one was a thing of beauty, brushed aluminium grey cover, but it kept crashing and freezing up in other ways...so now it's a Samsung Galaxy S2.. So far it seems to do as it should.. Much more than I need, but power hungry...next year it wants to invade Asia.

The General

[attach=1]
Motorola Razr.

Before you start laughing, I pay $12 a month through PagePlus Cellular for 250 minutes & 250 texts.

Caruthers612

Galaxy S3. I love the heck out of it, and use its many functions all the time. It keeps me connected and online everywhere I go, including taco bell, where I think I'm about to go yet again. Gotta keep my ever-expanding gut ever-expanding. Now, here's a question for you folks what have some tech knowledge in the smartphone area: Are there enough significant improvements in the upcoming Android 4.2 and its accompanying Galaxy S4 to justify the upgrade, assuming you're someone like me who really does make use of the technology?

HorrorRetro

Quote from: The General on February 06, 2013, 01:02:06 AM
[attach=1]
Motorola Razr.

Before you start laughing, I pay $12 a month through PagePlus Cellular for 250 minutes & 250 texts.

I hadn't heard of this company, so I looked them up and found that I have coverage here.  Have you had any service or company issues?  I currently pay about $50 for unlimited usage, but I rarely use any of it.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: The General on February 06, 2013, 01:02:06 AM
[attach=1]
Motorola Razr.

Beautiful phone.  Simple, elegant, and all you really need.

The General

Quote from: HorrorRetro on February 07, 2013, 02:50:43 PM
I hadn't heard of this company, so I looked them up and found that I have coverage here.  Have you had any service or company issues?  I currently pay about $50 for unlimited usage, but I rarely use any of it.
PagePlus operates on Verizon's network.  It's basically a back door to their coverage.  They buy bulk minutes from Verizon and then resell them to individual end users.  They recommend that you use one of their phones that they sell, but you'll find that a lot of Verizon phones will work with their service, because it IS Verizon. 

Before, I was paying Verizon $112 bucks a month for 2 old flip phones that we don't even use very much.  Now, we pay $24 bucks a month.  You pre-pay, and if you go over your allotment, you can just buy bulk minutes at something like 100 minutes for 10 bucks.  It's super cheap.

They have a bunch of different plans, so if you gotta have a smart phone, they have data plans and everything too.  I can't say enough good about it, I'm saving almost $90 a month for the exact same service, coverage, and usage.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: The General on February 07, 2013, 03:08:52 PM
PagePlus operates on Verizon's network.  It's basically a back door to their coverage.  They buy bulk minutes from Verizon and then resell them to individual end users.  They recommend that you use one of their phones that they sell, but you'll find that a lot of Verizon phones will work with their service, because it IS Verizon. 

Before, I was paying Verizon $112 bucks a month for 2 old flip phones that we don't even use very much.  Now, we pay $24 bucks a month.  You pre-pay, and if you go over your allotment, you can just buy bulk minutes at something like 100 minutes for 10 bucks.  It's super cheap.

They have a bunch of different plans, so if you gotta have a smart phone, they have data plans and everything too.  I can't say enough good about it, I'm saving almost $90 a month for the exact same service, coverage, and usage.

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to give some serious consideration to switching over.  8)

ponyboysunset

My touch 4 g from tmobile. It's an HTC phone and I love it. I am not easy on my phone and it's still going after me dropping it, and essentially beating the hell out of it. I recommend a screen protector. I hardly ever get on a computer, unless it's for chat or for loading my ipod. Technology is awesome!

Falkie2013

Quote from: stevesh on December 23, 2012, 07:43:49 AM
No land line, but I have a cell phone for driving emergencies. We're all old enough to remember breaking down somewhere on an expressway, always exactly between two distant exits, and having to flag a ride to a pay phone.

Tracfone requires that you purchase minutes every 90 days, so I currently have 828 minutes and can't remember the last time I accepted an incoming call. Friends and family know I prefer email.

My main beef with talking on a phone is that I can't read body language, so I can't tell if I'm being lied to. Paranoia rather than social anxiety, I guess.

About a million years ago, A T & T carted out video phone service. It was expensive and never worked right and you had to sit at a terminal in Washington DC or New York. I guess one can see people with internet chat, though not having a cell phone yet ( It's on the list of things to do in the next couple of months ) I wouldn't know. It cost $ 16-27 a month with charges by the minute after that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videophone

We saw videophones in all kinds of movies and I kept waiting for it to happen in real life, though I guess video chat and video pod casts are sort of like that today though I don't want anyone to see my nifoc which I how I am on the net most of the time when it's hot. I have a Haier ac in the living room but this room is too big for it and it doesn't cool off the room worth a damn. Like Snoory, it also sucks.

Being into retro computers, and games, this is my phone in the bedroom. I need a new shade for it. ( It's not the exact phone that I use, of course. I bought it on Ebay about 8 years ago. Now they're going for as much as $ 150. It's hard to find them with the lamp on it. ). I've always loved Snoopy and played him on stage a long time ago.

www.corp.att.com/attlabs/reputation/timeline/70picture.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Falkie2013

Quote from: Sardondi on December 24, 2012, 12:40:27 PM
Yes...if I had ever been so rude or clueless as to have been so intrusive. Actually I'm  one of those people who confront the bullies of the world who pollute common spaces with their personal conversations, be they by PTT or cell. Nothing pisses me off more than to be in a doctor's waiting room and have some jackass come in and presume that he's special enough to inflict his 5-minute conversation with his broker on a roomful of strangers. I usually confront such jerks.

Think that's bad just try riding MY local bus sometime. We sold our car last week to get the money for a used Prius. We got $ 1500 from the state for it because it was old and a gross polluter because it would no longer pass smog. We have $ 2k now saved up and the book value for a Prius ranges anywhere from $ 2,000 to as high as the ridiculous of $ 10k. We're looking for something between 2001 and 2006, we can't afford a new one as much as we'd like one.

Yesterday I had to go to SF and was subjected to this LOUD, overbearing moron who was telling some poor Chinese lady his entire life story. His girlfriend's, where he went to high school and college and what HE thought of China, the Chinese language and how hard it is to read and speak Chinese. Normally, I carry my Ipod with me to drown people like this out, but couldn't find my headphones. Then this dweeb started talking about Tamerlane and kept mispronouncing it as Timberlane and kept repeating himself over and over and over with the same wrong information on the guy and his life. At first I had to look at the guy to make SURE I wasn't riding the bus with Snoory. G*d the guy was so damned annoying but there are times that IF you say anything some of these kinds of people will go nuts and try to attack you for DARING to ask them to STFU. I really was so damned glad when he got off the bus at our local jr college. I pity anyone who's in a class with this guy, though he claimed he graduated from college in the mid 1980's.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Tamerlaine

Designx

Samsung Galaxy S2 - but I'm dumping it in a month or so for a prepaid dumb phone.

The phone i pay for is a 5 year old dumb phone.  The phone my company pays for is a very cool Samsung S 3 that i highly recommend, a screen to die for.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Designx on March 14, 2013, 07:26:23 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 - but I'm dumping it in a month or so for a prepaid dumb phone.

there are actually some really good android phones on prepaid networks these days, and for little money.  straight talk seems to be the best prepaid network since it uses verizon's network.

HTC MyTouch 4G Slide

It`s an amazing phone. I absolutely LOVE it. The camera and HD video are spectacular.

sherpa high

Quote from: MV on March 15, 2013, 11:25:01 AM

there are actually some really good android phones on prepaid networks these days, and for little money.  straight talk seems to be the best prepaid network since it uses verizon's network.

You are right, the prepaid market isn't what it used to be; there are a lot of great choices out there now. After my contract was up with Verizon, I decided to purchase the HTC EVO 3D 4G on Virgin Mobile with their $35/month plan and have been using it for a few months now. So far I've been happy with it.