• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Phil Hendrie

Started by Caruthers612, November 20, 2008, 11:35:40 AM

Who is your favorite Hendrie guest of all time..

Art Bell
Steve Bosell
Bobbie Dooley
Chris Norton
Raj Fahneen
Austin Amarka
Bob Green
Bud Dickman
Clara Bingham
David G. Hall
Dean Wheeler
Doug Dannger
Dr. Jim Sadler
Father James McQuarter
Harvey Wireman
Herb Sewell
Jay Santos
Jeff Dowder
Lloyd Bonifide
Margaret Gray
Pastor William Rennick
R.C. Collins
Ted Bell
Vernon Dozier
General Johnson Jameson

Jackstar

Quote from: MV on May 08, 2014, 12:04:50 AM
He is possibly one of the greatest radio talents ever, but what an asshole he can be.
Chronic underpayment can do that to a person.

QuoteI've never seen a radio host with more contempt for his fans.
Fans? Isn't that short for 'fanatics'? Yeah, fuck them.

How does he treat his patrons and subscribers?

paladin1991

Quote from: MV on May 08, 2014, 12:04:50 AM
He is possibly one of the greatest radio talents ever, but what an asshole he can be. I've never seen a radio host with more contempt for his fans.
Personally, I think the man is brilliant.  It was a number of years ago when I became acquainted with Phil.  I didn't listen to AM much.  Came across this apparently call in talk show where I believe it was R.C. Collins calling in and questioning why so many ppl today hated their country.
For about an hour I was wondering who these wackos were that kept calling in.  Then it clicked.  Fm that moment on I was not incredulous, I was hooked.

Contempt for his fans?  Maybe because so many are still willing to follow him around like a Grateful Dead tour bus.  Or maybe it's because so many are still willing to pay for his schtick?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 08, 2014, 09:31:02 AM

Contempt for his fans?  Maybe because so many are still willing to follow him around like a Grateful Dead tour bus.  Or maybe it's because so many are still willing to pay for his schtick?

i think it comes from a place of self loathing. 

paladin1991

onan

Find season two episode ten of Maron. Phil is the guest star. I'm telling you, it is worth the time.

Hey, you are a BIG FAT NOBODY until PH has banned you from his FB page.
Heh.
It took me exactly ONE comment.
I simply cannot stand his peanut view of politics while he still claims and actually demonstrates that he knows history.

I am just dropping in though, to say Hello to my Buds at the forum here, and to mention...
I listen to Hendrie live on tune in every day for free.
I subscribed for a few months ...but he truly just kept pissing me off.

However his Vampire Hunter show two days ago was solid GOLD..
I RECORDED IT ON MY IPOD, BUT I am seriously too lazy to even steal it and upload it.

Happy Halloween you guys. I should come round more often...you may not like me, but I like you;)

albrecht

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on October 30, 2014, 08:01:05 PM
Heh.
I simply cannot stand his peanut view of politics while he still claims and actually demonstrates that he knows history.

I am just dropping in though, to say Hello to my Buds at the forum here, and to mention...

I RECORDED IT ON MY IPOD, BUT I am seriously too lazy to even steal it and upload it.

Happy Halloween you guys. I should come round more often...you may not like me, but I like you;)
Happy Halloween. Is Phil still any good (ignore the politics?) He pissed me (and others) off with he persecutions of sites and sharers of his stuff when he was hilarious, innovative, and great. Does he still do bits, voices, and callers or is it all political stuff?

The General

Heh.

Welcome to the club!  I was kicked out of Phil's Phacebook too!

MV/Liberace!

Heh.

Good to see you around.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on October 30, 2014, 09:35:45 PM
Welcome to the club!  I was kicked out of Phil's Phacebook too!

What for?

Quote from: MV on October 30, 2014, 11:10:21 PM
Good to see you around.

I need to find more time for this forum.
It really is one of the best.

The reason I was kicked out of PH FB was back in the summer when the Bundy Ranch situation was in full heat.
Phil was all for DLM doing a great job.
I complained that DLM didn't know SHIT about baby cows, and had damaged so many of them by separating them from their mothers.
REALLY PHIL?

He later invited me back in to his fold. so, I was keen to clarify I am a native American, so I hate the democrats AND the republicans. But man, Phil goosesteps like nobody's business.
And yeah Phil, if you read this... all good man...it isn't anything I haven't said as close to your face as I am ever gonna be, hah;)
Good to see you too MV!

Quote from: albrecht on October 30, 2014, 08:10:09 PM
Happy Halloween. Is Phil still any good (ignore the politics?) He pissed me (and others) off with he persecutions of sites and sharers of his stuff when he was hilarious, innovative, and great. Does he still do bits, voices, and callers or is it all political stuff?

I listen to his show every day. He does nothing but schtick...no callers since it is a podcast.
But he is really happy to have moved away from radio and get a breath of freedom.
I love when he cracks up at his own characters.
It is a fun show, and worth listening to.

Heather Wade

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on October 31, 2014, 12:58:30 PM
I listen to his show every day. He does nothing but schtick...no callers since it is a podcast.
But he is really happy to have moved away from radio and get a breath of freedom.
I love when he cracks up at his own characters.
It is a fun show, and worth listening to.

Thanks for the update.  I'll look for his show, used to love that guy!

The General

Quote from: MV on October 30, 2014, 11:11:07 PM
What for?
A few months before he started doing his free podcast, I suggested that he do a free podcast.  I told him that nobody wants to pay for a podcast of a show that was broadcast for free.  He told me that I should 'get back to the want ads' and banned me.  Then he took my advice, so I guess I had a point.  It's a shame how funny he used to be and how bad he sucks now.

Heather Wade

Quote from: The General on October 31, 2014, 03:04:11 PM
A few months before he started doing his free podcast, I suggested that he do a free podcast.  I told him that nobody wants to pay for a podcast of a show that was broadcast for free.  He told me that I should 'get back to the want ads' and banned me.  Then he took my advice, so I guess I had a point.  It's a shame how funny he used to be and how bad he sucks now.

Geez, Hendrie really is a colossal dickhead.  I'll keep the suckage factor in mind when I go looking for his 'cast, General.

He is a strange bird. Totally willing to individuate at least fifty percent of the populace. Doesn't mind it at all.
And he wonders why he hasn't really "made it", (whatever that means).
I was subscribing for a while, but too many ads.
The pre-show for subbers, well yeah... For $10.00 a month you can watch me put my make-up on. It would be as interesting.
My main point though, Authur Bane, vampire hunter.
Gotta admit, Phil puts out.
He doesn't mind who sucks his dick.
I kinda admire that.

paladin1991

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on October 31, 2014, 05:09:25 PM
... For $10.00 a month you can watch me put my make-up on. It would be as interesting.
My main point though, Authur Bane, vampire hunter.
Gotta admit, Phil puts out.
He doesn't mind who sucks his dick.
I kinda admire that.
Yeah, but for that 10 bux, will you put it on, where I tell you to, when I tell you to?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on October 31, 2014, 03:04:11 PM

man.  fuck him.

paladin1991

Quote from: MV on November 04, 2014, 11:25:13 AM
man.  fuck him.
yeah.  He's really not our kind of ppl.

b_dubb

I'm watching Maron on Netflix and I think Phil Hendrie is playing a character in this episode. Pretty funny stuff.

Edit: it is Hendrie according to the credits.

Heather Wade

Quote from: b_dubb on January 08, 2015, 05:51:13 PM
I'm watching Maron on Netflix and I think Phil Hendrie is playing a character in this episode. Pretty funny stuff.

Edit: it is Hendrie according to the credits.

Saw that one too, great episode.

Dr. Arthur Barnes Vampire hunter and KILLER!

You know I'm 'SESSY'-Chris Norton

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

SredniVashtar

There is an intriguing bit of radio, back when he did his 'classic' shows, where one of his writers didn't show up for work, and it transpired that she had had enough of being yelled at and just upped and quit. There followed a good half hour of Phil sounding quite unpleasant and making vaguely threatening hints that she had made a big mistake. He is a genius but must be incredibly difficult to be around. The segment ended up with about half a dozen of his characters coming on and lecturing him that his show sucked and that he was an asshole. It was really quite unsettling, as though the listener had got closer to him than they really wanted to. Asshole or not, though, he is one of a kind.

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 12, 2015, 12:08:26 PM
There is an intriguing bit of radio, back when he did his 'classic' shows, where one of his writers didn't show up for work, and it transpired that she had had enough of being yelled at and just upped and quit. There followed a good half hour of Phil sounding quite unpleasant and making vaguely threatening hints that she had made a big mistake. He is a genius but must be incredibly difficult to be around. The segment ended up with about half a dozen of his characters coming on and lecturing him that his show sucked and that he was an asshole. It was really quite unsettling, as though the listener had got closer to him than they really wanted to. Asshole or not, though, he is one of a kind.
Considering how he treated hardcore fans who had sites, trading, archive sites, torrents, youtube posts, etc well before Hendrie got around to having a decent online presence or archive I would tend to believe you. Instead of giving kudos and thanking fans for bringing in more listeners and spreading the word about Hendrie is resulted in lawyers, letters, commentary, etc.

Lawsuits and lawyers aren't SESSY!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on February 12, 2015, 12:25:34 PM
Considering how he treated hardcore fans who had sites, trading, archive sites, torrents, youtube posts, etc well before Hendrie got around to having a decent online presence or archive I would tend to believe you. Instead of giving kudos and thanking fans for bringing in more listeners and spreading the word about Hendrie is resulted in lawyers, letters, commentary, etc.

I am in two minds about all of that. Sure, he overreacted, but it was his work and I guess he felt that people were profiting from his efforts. I think he would have been wiser to regard it as free advertising, but we get so used to taking everything for free on the internet that we get offended if anyone thinks otherwise. If you had worked hard on something, would you really be pleased to find that people are spreading it around and you are seeing nothing for it? I don't think I would.

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 16, 2015, 11:26:37 AM

I am in two minds about all of that. Sure, he overreacted, but it was his work and I guess he felt that people were profiting from his efforts. I think he would have been wiser to regard it as free advertising, but we get so used to taking everything for free on the internet that we get offended if anyone thinks otherwise. If you had worked hard on something, would you really be pleased to find that people are spreading it around and you are seeing nothing for it? I don't think I would.
Sure, I can understand that argument. But he could've handled it much better. Jumping to lawyers as first option in most circumstances is just poor taste- and usually more expensive. Especially because it wasn't people CHARGING for the content- if anything these fans were spending their own money recording, editing, posting, hosting the website, etc. And doing it before he did it and did, until very recently, a much better job hosting a site. He could've even used that talent to help him get a web presence or at least say "thanks" but now I have my site please take yours down. Hell, maybe even requested, or bought, some of the archival material since he didn't save all his old stuff I think.

Re: the other argument I can certainly understand. I think it depends on the "work" done in this case. He was paid to put out a broadcast which was sent over the public airwaves for anybody to hear. If I record it is that illegal? If I play it back for myself? Give a tape to a friend? Give a way the tape to a stranger? Post it on the internet for free? I don't know where the line is crossed. I know MLB, NFL etc claims in their disclaimers that I can't even discuss ("descriptions" and "accounts") it without their written consent- but that seems patently absurd to me. If so TIVO games would be illegal. Or talking about the game at work the next day. Now if you are selling it? Or replaying it at a bar? Then I could see it being illegal and hurting the league. But does MLB or NFL really not want anybody to  talk about games? I call BS on that holding up in court. Also recording a game and replaying for yourself later would be ok in court I would think.

Who

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 12, 2015, 12:08:26 PM

Phil Hendrie is probably the only person on Earth who can make me laugh out loud.  He's a comedy genius.  Other than that, I find him unpleasant.  I made the mistake of following him on Facebook for a few months.  There were several occasions where he made snarky comments about some of the followers clicking like too soon after he had posted something.  I'm not talking about people posting stupid replies to his comments - he got pissed because some people were liking his comments too soon after he posted them.  Apparently he believes in some sort of cooling off period where the reader should consider his comment, roll it around in his mind,  savor it for awhile and then click like.

I wish him all the luck in the world but I wouldn't pay five cents to listen to him.  I think he's a thoroughly unpleasant individual.