• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

CornyCrow

Quote from: ShayP on September 12, 2015, 04:53:13 PM
+1

I like that Art wants to get callers/fans into the experience by trying different things, but I mirror your sentiment.
Oh, come on!  It would have been magnificent fun if some true believer crazy had shown up.  Even they are now waking up to the fact that they cannot back up their nutty beliefs.  There are lessons in almost everything.  Maybe we are becoming a more civilized nation?  Or, maybe the nutjobs are all listening to Dave?

I think there must be a lot of god believers who think god works through nature and so they are not working against scientific knowledge and exploration.  They're good people, but no fun in a debate with an atheist. 

I think most of us will admit that we don't know everything and have just settled into a forced sort of contentment in living with unknowns.   

BellBoy

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 12, 2015, 05:00:57 PM

Hell yes.  I'm not paying for access to listen to Anonymous Listener A blather all night long to Anonymous Listener B.  It is contrived.  An entertaining debate is between two well-prepared experts who actually provide riveting entertainment.

So much, this.

coaster

Art seems to take these things personally.  I really hope he doesn't,  because they are valid.

AppealPlay

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 05:20:20 PM
Art seems to take these things personally.  I really hope he doesn't,  because they are valid.

I know.  That is why I'm so reticent to ever say anything critical of the show. :-\

I think maybe Art and Redacted are trying too hard to reproduce the magic of the old shows, by trying to force a situation where a Mel or Red Elk will phone in during the first few weeks.  I could be wrong *shrug*.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 12, 2015, 05:22:16 PM
I know.  That is why I'm so reticent to ever say anything critical of the show. :-\

Constructive criticism will actually ensure the survival of the show.

Zenman

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 04:45:44 PM
I sort of agree. I want to hear Art talking to callers, not callers talking to callers. The debate show is like a completely different radio show being hosted by two irrelevant people I've never heard of.

I agree. Call me a dick.

BellBoy

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 12, 2015, 05:27:53 PM
Constructive criticism will actually ensure the survival of the show.

To be fair, we've all seen Art pick up his ball and go home before too...

coaster

Quote from: BellBoy on September 12, 2015, 05:44:42 PM
To be fair, we've all seen Art pick up his ball and go home before too...

To be fair to Art, that was more a problem with shoddy Sirius than it was fans criticizing his show.

RIP Bugs. Just recently listened to those shows again myself.

Mild Bill

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 12, 2015, 05:25:10 PM
I think maybe Art and Redacted are trying too hard to reproduce the magic of the old shows, by trying to force a situation where a Mel or Red Elk will phone in during the first few weeks.  I could be wrong *shrug*.

Back in the 90s, during the "old shows", Art had millions of listeners, which was quite a resource of 20th century personages. Today, with his new show, his listenership is short of a million and consists mostly of a new generation. Art and Heather have to adapt to the new times with a mixture of old show guests and new generation personalities.

The selling point is Art's reputation and interviewing genius. That will build the listenership.

I'm still amazed at the growing success of Hoagland! 

BellBoy

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 05:47:35 PM
To be fair to Art, that was more a problem with shoddy Sirius than it was fans criticizing his show.

Conversely, to be fair to us as a community, why should some of us, apparently, feel the need to walk on eggshells regarding simple criticism?

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 05:20:20 PM
Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 12, 2015, 05:22:16 PM

(not that I do... as I've said before, Art's a grown-assed man and I treat him accordingly)

AppealPlay

Quote from: BellBoy on September 12, 2015, 05:56:08 PM
Conversely, to be fair to us as a community, why should some of us, apparently, feel the need to walk on eggshells regarding simple criticism?

(not that I do... as I've said before, Art's a grown-assed man and I treat him accordingly)

I can't articulate how happy I've been about Art's new show.  Listening to Art Bell is like a warm blanket on a cool, autumn night.  It's amazing and I don't want him to go away again.  I don't want to say or do anything that will upset him and make him think about quitting.  I have Art PTSD.

coaster

Quote from: BellBoy on September 12, 2015, 05:56:08 PM

Beats me. Being open to criticism is a priority if you want to have a great show, imo.

Zenman

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 05:46:07 PM
Dick.

I deserved that.

Wait a minute. Aren't you the one I was agreeing with?  :o

BellBoy

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 06:00:08 PM
Beats me. Being open to criticism is a priority if you want to have a great show, imo.

Truer words could not possibly be spoken, brother.

trostol

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 12, 2015, 04:37:19 PM
Yes, I am going to sound like a complete asshole.  And, perhaps I should be called an asshole for what I am about to say.  So be it.  I hate Art's completely contrived "let's make a debate" shows.  Friday night's show was an example of how this type of show is so boring I'd rather watch someone who is watching paint dry.  What's wrong with just going to open lines?  Some of the best shows Art ever did came from pure open line nights.  The "jury" and "let's make a debate" shows suck, period.  I'm not saying that Art sucks, but the disjointed format hobbled together to make those shows make me double check to see if I accidentally tuned in to Dave's show.  Don't take me wrong.  I love everything else that Art is doing.

wow..watchign someone watch paint dry..thats ..quite dull lol

trostol

Quote from: Mild Bill on September 12, 2015, 05:54:13 PM
Back in the 90s, during the "old shows", Art had millions of listeners, which was quite a resource of 20th century personages. Today, with his new show, his listenership is short of a million and consists mostly of a new generation. Art and Heather have to adapt to the new times with a mixture of old show guests and new generation personalities.

The selling point is Art's reputation and interviewing genius. That will build the listenership.

I'm still amazed at the growing success of Hoagland!

not sure who the new generation of personalities would be..take for example Hoagland who you mentioned..one of the criticisms of him is his antiquated sci fi knowledge....i am not sure who a new generation personality  could be in terms of..the weird and unexplained..science wise i had suggested a very pop but science guy in Tyson..or Nye as they are more..well known and would draw the younger folks in

Hoagie needs to update his sci fi knowledge though frankly i couldnt be one to tell who as i am not a heavy sci fi reader though trying to change that

ItsOver

Similar thoughts about last night.  Moron vs. moron is done enough elsewhere.  I want something that keeps me awake and maybe raises the hair on the back of the neck. 

trostol

i will say this..at least Art hasnt had any pseudo health nuts on yet

munbeam666

I appreciate Art being experimental with his show. What works or doesn't, he'll figure it out

Art Bell

I don't mind people being critical, I will say however that Bell Gab is far more critical then compared to other places or email I have received but it is the nature of this board, that has always just been a fact of life here. As somebody said I am a big boy and can take it, don't worry.

My leaving Sirius/XM had nothing to do with critical comments at all, it was a lack of dependable streaming, very poor connections and a lack of caring about Piracy along with a lot of other stuff. I love the set up I have now, no complaints. I think we are doing fine and I will continue to experiment with stuff that seems fun. Not all of it works, the World has changed and I thought it very interesting that I found a well spoken Athiest but could not find a worthy opponent.

If at some point I do decide to stop it would be because I don't get enough time with my Family, we are of course on opposite time clocks and I do miss the time with them but for now it's ok.

Feel free to hack at me as you wish, I can handle it.

Art

Art Bell

One more thing, in "the old days" I would have had the opposite problem, again the World has changed.

Mild Bill

Quote from: trostol on September 12, 2015, 07:26:43 PM
not sure who the new generation of personalities would be..take for example Hoagland who you mentioned..one of the criticisms of him is his antiquated sci fi knowledge....i am not sure who a new generation personality  could be in terms of..the weird and unexplained..science wise i had suggested a very pop but science guy in Tyson..or Nye as they are more..well known and would draw the younger folks in

Hoagie needs to update his sci fi knowledge though frankly i couldnt be one to tell who as i am not a heavy sci fi reader though trying to change that

I'm not sure who the new generation of personalities are, either. But Hoagland's producer, Ross, is scheduling personalities that are conducive to entertainment. Hoagie is a very good interviewer when he's in "Dick Cavett" mode as SciFiWriter puts it.

Entertainment is the name of the game and Hoagland is building a listenership on his personality and skill in interviewing guests of various specialties.

Even his "bat-shit crazy mode" is entertaining, don't you agree? Look at how many of his listening audience are demanding an extra hour. Why do you think that is?

Mild Bill

Quote from: Art Bell on September 12, 2015, 07:51:50 PM
One more thing, in "the old days" I would have had the opposite problem, again the World has changed.

Yes, the world has changed, but the strength of your personality, fame and interviewing genius are going to build that "new generation" audience.

The "quickening" of the world situation is one reason you came back. You sense that "quickening" and we sense that "quickening". We truly need you to be the voice of that "quickening" to keep us informed.

trostol

Quote from: Mild Bill on September 12, 2015, 08:02:47 PM
I'm not sure who the new generation of personalities are, either. But Hoagland's producer, Ross, is scheduling personalities that are conducive to entertainment. Hoagie is a very good interviewer when he's in "Dick Cavett" mode as SciFiWriter puts it.

Entertainment is the name of the game and Hoagland is building a listenership on his personality and skill in interviewing guests of various specialties.

Even his "bat-shit crazy mode" is entertaining, don't you agree? Look at how many of his listening audience are demanding an extra hour. Why do you think that is?

it is true..

Art Bell

Well I am glad Richard is doing well, I did everything possible to help him, we do very different shows which is also fine. Remember we are on the same team. If some of you like his style better I am more than good with that. I hope he continues to kill it. Remember we are up against Coast, not each other, the better we both do the better chance we have of creating a smaller but better alternative.

Art

aldousburbank

Most of us are really enjoying the ride Art!

trostol

Quote from: Art Bell on September 12, 2015, 08:20:18 PM
Well I am glad Richard is doing well, I did everything possible to help him, we do very different shows which is also fine. Remember we are on the same team. If some of you like his style better I am more than good with that. I hope he continues to kill it. Remember we are up against Coast, not each other, the better we both do the better chance we have of creating a smaller but better alternative.

Art

no comparison ..i havent even turned on C2C since you and RCH started..not even on weekends with Knapp who i really do like..while i have not enjoyed all the guests..you are light years better then GN