• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

K_Dubb

More of the 1916 flood in Holland.  "Watersnood" must be a flood.

I have my doubts about the water in that last one.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that great WW I seductress.  Mata Hari.

Rix Gins

Some items from "ELVINS ITEMS" Column of Fri. Jan. 14, 1916.  (Elvins, Missouri)

Gus LEE, of near town, is, we are sorry to note, numbered among the sick this week.

Peter PROPST who has had a severe attack of pneumonia, is reported to be improving.

Mrs. Harry POWELL is very sick this week.  She is suffering from a severe case of pneu-monia.

Geo. CRAWFORD is numbered among those suffering from pneumonia.  We are glad, however, to note he is improving.

Dallas McALLISTER is numbered among the sick this week, but we understand he is slightly improving at this writing.

We are very sorry to chronicle the news that Miss Maude RUNK is very sick this week.  She has been confined to her room for several days, threatened with pneumonia.

Not all just sick people:  Last Thursday a team belonging to the Schramm Bottling Co., became scared and ran away on Main Street, but after having gone only a short distance, ran into a telephone pole which stopped them.  Fortunately no serious damage was done.

And this little "Pro Dry" tidbit:  Some two or three weeks before local option carried in the county and in Elvins, a number of the "wet" workers pointed to the number of empty houses of our city and predicted that that was only an inkling of what would happen after the "drys" had won--if it would be possible for them to do so.  But what a difference?  The county went dry--our saloons are all out of business and there are scores of men with families who want to move to Elvins but cannot get houses.  There is not a dwelling house vacant in Elvins and but very few business houses.  The "drys" are certainly proving their point that a "dry" city makes an ideal place in which to live.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mostfran/towns/elvins_1916jan14.htm

Rix Gins

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 14, 2016, 03:31:15 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned that great WW I seductress.  Mata Hari.

I'd tell her my secrets in a flash.

Rix Gins

A couple of the Ziegfeld girls from the 1916 Follies.

Emma Haig

Alberta Turner

trostol

Jan 14th - Dutch Zuiderzee dyke cracks

ShayP

Martin Guitar is celebrating the 100th anniversary of its iconic Dreadnought model (1916-2016), known worldwide as the most copied body size in the world.

Rix Gins

Lieut.-General Sir Percy Lake appointed Commander-in-Chief, Mesopotamia.

I'd hazard a guess that the Western Front was muddy by now.  Not so Mesopotamia. 

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 14, 2016, 07:00:33 PM
Lieut.-General Sir Percy Lake appointed Commander-in-Chief, Mesopotamia.

I'd hazard a guess that the Western Front was muddy by now.  Not so Mesopotamia. 

Wonderful pictures!   nice work to find them

Glad you guys liked that silly little game.   I must admit that pre-War Hawaii is one hell of an idea and very tempting.
Hopefully we'll get a few more responses.   Hell - it's an Art Bell forum at it's core.  Ken Arnold and his UFO flight is still out there, along with the chance to ride with Gimlin and Patterson on that day in Cali or perhaps risk the rectal probe and hang with Strieber in his cabin.  All kinds of fertile ground left to be tilled.

I like the idea of movies and books - that would be awesome!    If we add TV shows, I'll take my trip to Hawaii then.  It'll be the late 60's and I'm hanging with McGarrett, Chin Ho and Kono in the greatest TV show there ever was. 

Another cool pix taken on January 14, 1916

Virginia & Truckee Railroad Company Engine #18 clearing snow at Virginia City, NV:

Found some neat pictures of the Alma Mater from about 100 years ago:

Of course today we have Web Cams!!!!!!!!
http://www.mtu.edu/webcams/

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 14, 2016, 07:55:41 PM
Glad you guys liked that silly little game.   I must admit that pre-War Hawaii is one hell of an idea and very tempting.
Hopefully we'll get a few more responses.   Hell - it's an Art Bell forum at it's core.  Ken Arnold and his UFO flight is still out there, along with the chance to ride with Gimlin and Patterson on that day in Cali or perhaps risk the rectal probe and hang with Strieber in his cabin.  All kinds of fertile ground left to be tilled.

I like the idea of movies and books - that would be awesome!    If we add TV shows, I'll take my trip to Hawaii then.  It'll be the late 60's and I'm hanging with McGarrett, Chin Ho and Kono in the greatest TV show there ever was.

Create a separate thread on it and I might respond.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 14, 2016, 08:01:47 PM
Another cool pix taken on January 14, 1916

Virginia & Truckee Railroad Company Engine #18 clearing snow at Virginia City, NV:

Great photo, Walks.  It looks almost surrealistic.

Meister_000

Quote from: ShayP on January 14, 2016, 04:50:47 PM
Martin Guitar is celebrating the 100th anniversary of its iconic Dreadnought model (1916-2016), known worldwide as the most copied body size in the world.

Oops!  Wrong model picture Shay.

. . .in 1916 The Oliver Diston Co, commisioned Martin to produce a custom line of instruments, among which was a guitar virtually unprecedented in size. Originally conceived as a Hawaiian guitar, the 'Dreadnaught' was named after a WWI British battleship, with a body that dramatically longer, wider and deeper than any previous Martin instrument.

That (above) was the 1916 Diston-Martin model 111 Dreadnought
Below is pictured a 1929 Diston 111 (is representative of 1916)

In 2008, Martin produced a Diston 111 reissue

In 2016, Martin produces its model D-222 100th Anniversary 1916  Diston-Inspired Dreadnought.

ShayP

Quote from: Meister_000 on January 14, 2016, 11:25:39 PM
Oops!  Wrong model picture Shay.

Ah!....thank you for the correction, and for posting the additional  information.  8)

Meister_000

Quote from: ShayP on January 15, 2016, 12:07:44 AM
Ah!....thank you for the correction, and for posting the additional  information.  8)

No prob. I wouldn't have even known about the new model unless you had posted about it. I only knew the picture shown was not a dreadnought, so I went looking. Those original ones still are not we today  call classic Dreadnought shape though -- would be square shoulder like D28's and D35's. 

GravitySucks

The first Kiwanis club was founded on January 15, 1916. It was a Saturday.

http://www.themorningsun.com/article/MS/20150125/NEWS/150129884

K_Dubb

A couple of Prohibition items from today's Tacoma Times

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 15, 2016, 01:26:48 PM
A couple of Prohibition items from today's Tacoma Times

The exercise stuff seems ok but I like the "open up your liver" bit. Sounds like some C2C quack these days! Alternate cold/hot baths etc have been widely thought in places like Scandanavia, Russia, Turkey, etc to be healthful but not sure much. Certainly it might make you forget your hangover/withdrawal for a bit being scalded or frozen!? Here the latest thing advertized is some spas/facilities that have some cryogenic freezing machine that supposedly 'elite' athletes and those losing weight use?

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2016, 01:52:44 PM
The exercise stuff seems ok but I like the "open up your liver" bit. Sounds like some C2C quack these days!

"Then while in the nude go through the exercise of squatting from an erect position."

Not only does that open up the liver like nobody's business, but chicks really dig it!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2016, 01:52:44 PM
The exercise stuff seems ok but I like the "open up your liver" bit. Sounds like some C2C quack these days!

It's eye-opening looking through these old papers and seeing about a quarter of the content devoted to what today we'd call "alternative medicine".  I'm just waiting to see turmeric touted for something. 

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 15, 2016, 02:10:31 PM
It's eye-opening looking through these old papers and seeing about a quarter of the content devoted to what today we'd call "alternative medicine".  I'm just waiting to see turmeric touted for something.
There is nothing new under the sun. I think radio "got big" off of advertising quack remedies.
http://wfmu.org/LCD/GreatDJ/Brinkley.html
(this "doctor" advocated putting goat balls into to yours if your stamina or virility was lagging.)

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2016, 02:18:33 PM
There is nothing new under the sun. I think radio "got big" off of advertising quack remedies.
(this "doctor" advocated putting goat balls into to yours if your stamina or virility was lagging.)

My God............  I am not sure how much trouble I would have to be in to think that was a good
idea.

It makes Extenze seem downright reasonable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuBDIWpvT4

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 15, 2016, 02:28:23 PM
My God............  I am not sure how much trouble I would have to be in to think that was a good
idea.

It makes Extenze seem downright reasonable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuBDIWpvT4
Haha. Can you imagine: a 100,000 Watt flame-thrower signal advertising "goat balls" surgery, Bible message intros, an insurgent political campaign, and some great music? So bizarre- and that was in the 20's and 30's! (and, like today's C2C, he was not a real "doctor" (diploma mill and 'alternative' medical schools) but became a radio innovator, in a way.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Brinkley

Rix Gins

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 15, 2016, 12:41:35 PM
The first Kiwanis club was founded on January 15, 1916. It was a Saturday.

http://www.themorningsun.com/article/MS/20150125/NEWS/150129884

Everyone should click on Gravity's article here.  There's a neat store front ad plastered on the window.  "Nothing Newer In The World."  58 Ford.  That would look so cool on the wall of my den (which I don't have.)

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2016, 02:18:33 PM

The goat again!  I'm sticking with my theory on julbukking.

I wonder if Art's lumen photon therapy or whatever it's called isn't just a descendant of the infamous Violet Ray machines.