• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NHL Thread

Started by GuerrillaUnReal, September 23, 2015, 04:18:41 AM

trostol

Quote from: ShayP on February 03, 2017, 10:45:57 AM
To be honest I haven't watched much hockey this year.  Maybe caught one game with him.  Anyway, he did some Pirates exhibition games last year because he'a a huge fan of them and hinted he'd like to do baseball.  I'd love for him to call some more Prates games this year.  8)

once the season is over..hockey that is..our local Play by Play guy goes over and does Phillies games ..never heard him do them..but i have grown tired of him calling Flyers games..he used to be good but now is too much of a Organizational shill

Ciardelo

Quote from: trostol on February 03, 2017, 01:58:08 PM
once the season is over..hockey that is..our local Play by Play guy goes over and does Phillies games ..never heard him do them..but i have grown tired of him calling Flyers games..he used to be good but now is too much of a Organizational shill

"Organizational shill" or team booster? We lost our long time play-by-play guy for our local Dodger's affiliate and the new guy just gushes over the opposing teams. It really highlights and makes us miss the old "home team" announcer.

Clearly, the new guy is a huge baseball fan but really, it seems sometimes he is rooting for the opponents.

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 03, 2017, 03:45:02 PM
"Organizational shill" or team booster? We lost our long time play-by-play guy for our local Dodger's affiliate and the new guy just gushes over the opposing teams. It really highlights and makes us miss the old "home team" announcer.

Clearly, the new guy is a huge baseball fan but really, it seems sometimes he is rooting for the opponents.
I don't like, especially in baseball but also in hockey, that all season you listen, on radio or tv, to the hometown announcers, color guys, analysts, etc who know the team, players, inside stories, etc but then come post-season and finals you listen to national announcers who are "bipartisan" and don't know much, except what the teleprompters tell them, about the team. And homogenized, bland voices with less emotion in the game. It sucks.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on February 03, 2017, 03:50:07 PM
I don't like, especially in baseball but also in hockey, that all season you listen, on radio or tv, to the hometown announcers, color guys, analysts, etc who know the team, players, inside stories, etc but then come post-season and finals you listen to national announcers who are "bipartisan" and don't know much, except what the teleprompters tell them, about the team. And homogenized, bland voices with less emotion in the game. It sucks.

The 'home team" reporters that ride on the team buses and do have the background make all the difference. The little stories, the human aspect of it...good times.

Our new guy is too bipartisan. He came down here from Witchita and clearly knows the game, clearly LOVES the game but sometimes lacks any enthusiasm for "our" team.

Ciardelo

And he's not that "new" I think he's been down here close to 8 years or more. But he'll always be the "new" guy until he gets onboard. ;)

trostol

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 03, 2017, 03:45:02 PM

shill i am going with...these are the guys that no matter what..5 game losing streak..being down 4-0 ..etc are telling me the guys are playing well and are just unlucky..or the refs are out for us..etc etc...they will never say a honest bad thing about a player on the team..this is just play by play guys..i wont get into the talking head reporters of hockey in this city who i do not think understand the game

Ciardelo

We're rebuilding, and at-the-end-of-the-day it's all about player development.

akwilly

Quote from: trostol on February 02, 2017, 04:18:31 PM
nope..he has actually gotten pretty bad this year with some of his shit during broadcasts..
oh man I disagree. Doc, I think has been on top of his game this year. I also like how he is alluding to horse racing gambling into his calls.

akwilly

Holy crap doc is on fire!!!!!

akwilly

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 08, 2017, 09:47:39 PM
Yeah?

that was one of the best called games I've ever watched. Doc and Pierre will need lots of throat losanges. Was also a hell of a game. It still blows my mind how Pierre gets the stars of the game to sit down and actually answer questions. All NHL players respect Pierre and of course the great Doc!

Quote from: akwilly on February 08, 2017, 10:00:43 PM
that was one of the best called games I've ever watched. Doc and Pierre will need lots of throat losanges. Was also a hell of a game. It still blows my mind how Pierre gets the stars of the game to sit down and actually answer questions. All NHL players respect Pierre and of course the great Doc!

Pierre and Doc are indeed great   But as a Detroit guy Bruce Martyn will always be king!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_BVTvMX-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2lbqJ7P8Ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdUoJt6yPag

akwilly

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 08, 2017, 10:15:28 PM
Pierre and Doc are indeed great   But as a Detroit guy Bruce Martyn will always be king!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_BVTvMX-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2lbqJ7P8Ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdUoJt6yPag
he did a pretty nice call. The closest I have for a "hometown" announcer is the Mariners guy but I really don't like baseball. It is neat though to hear his voice when out fishing by myself though.

Quote from: akwilly on February 08, 2017, 10:36:50 PM
he did a pretty nice call. The closest I have for a "hometown" announcer is the Mariners guy but I really don't like baseball. It is neat though to hear his voice when out fishing by myself though.

Baseball on the radio is great for stuff like that...........

Taco Bell

Quite the move by Montreal. Writing was on the wall something was going to happen when the team held a meeting minus the coach. Didn't think it was going to be that big of a change.

trostol

Quote from: Taco Bell on February 14, 2017, 04:35:49 PM
Quite the move by Montreal. Writing was on the wall something was going to happen when the team held a meeting minus the coach. Didn't think it was going to be that big of a change.

don't think that is gonna solve anything..much like those here in Philly clamoring for a coaching change..some times its not the coach

ShayP

Quote from: trostol on February 14, 2017, 04:42:28 PM
don't think that is gonna solve anything..much like those here in Philly clamoring for a coaching change..some times its not the coach

Most times it's not the coach.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on February 15, 2017, 12:43:06 PM
I find interesting how quickly coaches/managers get canned and so quickly find a new job somewhere else. Especially when they are successful at the new gig.

Ciardelo

Quote from: ShayP on February 15, 2017, 12:43:06 PM

Because you can't fire the whole team. :)

trostol

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 16, 2017, 12:48:07 AM
Because you can't fire the whole team. :)

right about now i wish i could lol

Taco Bell

Quote from: trostol on February 16, 2017, 02:08:50 AM
right about now i wish i could lol

Everyone in Colorado agrees.

ShayP

The NHL Stadium Series comes to Pittsburgh again as the Flyers face the Penguins at Heinz Field on Saturday.  8)

Warm weather might be a problem, but not so much as Flyers and Penguins fans tailgating at a football stadium.  :o  ;)  ;D

I hope trostol realizes how bad these jerseys are.  ;)

trostol

Quote from: ShayP on February 24, 2017, 01:56:38 PM
The NHL Stadium Series comes to Pittsburgh again as the Flyers face the Penguins at Heinz Field on Saturday.  8)

Warm weather might be a problem, but not so much as Flyers and Penguins fans tailgating at a football stadium.  :o  ;)  ;D

I hope trostol realizes how bad these jerseys are.  ;)

they are vastly better than those POS the Pens are wearing

Taco Bell

Less than a month til the playoffs...my body is ready.

akwilly

Oh man doc and Pierre are in playoff mode!!!!!!

Saw a black guy on skates; shut off the tv immediately.

akwilly

Quote from: rekcuf on April 12, 2017, 05:39:01 PM
Saw a black guy on skates; shut off the tv immediately.
unless the ice melts he will be fine

Quote from: akwilly on April 12, 2017, 05:44:56 PM
unless the ice melts he will be fine

So mountains aren't safe? God damn it.

Soon they'll be saying space won't be a safe space.