• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

ItsOver

Hahaha, Versteppen "step'n" out.  ::)

I should send Syrett a thank you note for putting me to sleep during the first hour and saving me this poser.

zeebo

Quote from: Seraphim27 on May 12, 2014, 10:48:01 AM
The word "adventurer" in the bio should have been a warning.

Hehe, deserving of upper-right corner status methinks.

Agreed on the trendy look, and judging from his facial hair he's a tasty Canadian tastes himself

WOTR

The caller near the end who called out Verstappen on having absolutely no experience or authority in the realm of psychopaths was my hero.

And although Syrett always makes me double-check my radio to make sure the station's not on NPR, he gets points for his "gentle disagreements" with Verstappen's frequent bullish*t bombs (i.e. homeless people are homeless because they're too weak to defend themselves against the psychopaths that rule corporate and functioning society).
Was the call worth the wait?  I just could not keep going (I know... I am weak and will one day be fodder for a psychopath all because of my inability to torture myself.)  Please tell me that he was not cut off and made some good points.

Quote from: ItsOver on May 12, 2014, 02:53:17 PM
Maybe he's really from Minnesooota and is just posing as a Canadian to appear "trendy," eh?
Is it really trendy now?  It seems disappointing that we have to say "house" or "eh" to differentiate ourselves.  I know that Jas is trendy because of the obvious accent...  (was going to head into a rant about Mexican or East Indian accents and why nobody says "cool, trendy, great!" when they hear them... but that is better left to the political section.)

onan

I didn't listen to the talks-to-psychopaths-guy.

In most situations, most people can talk with a psychopath. Mostly because even those that are floridly psychotic can carry on a discussion. Granted many times the pressured speech and mania make the conversation pretty much one sided.

The important consideration is not to support the delusions, doing so makes those in a delusional state more affirmed in their beliefs and can make recovery more difficult.

On the other hand direct confrontation with delusional beliefs can escalate paranoia and potential violence. And can make the mentally ill person much more resistant to therapy.

It's one thing to engage a person out of concern and a desire to keep another safe, but an entirely different thing to make it about bravado.

PerfectTommy

Quote from: wotr1 on May 12, 2014, 09:52:42 PMWas the call worth the wait?  I just could not keep going (I know... I am weak and will one day be fodder for a psychopath all because of my inability to torture myself.)  Please tell me that he was not cut off and made some good points.

Seemed like Syrett made sure the guest addressed all of the caller's points, even though Steppenwolf, or whatever his name was, clearly wanted to move on.

Overall, I found it amusing. Clearly the guy was an egomaniac talking out of his ass--a self-proclaimed expert with a penchant for sweeping generalizations--but Syrett offered a couple of opposing viewpoints to keep things interesting. 

Nebraska888

Quote from: PerfectTommy on May 13, 2014, 08:06:33 AM
Seemed like Syrett made sure the guest addressed all of the caller's points, even though Steppenwolf, or whatever his name was, clearly wanted to move on.

Overall, I found it amusing. Clearly the guy was an egomaniac talking out of his ass--a self-proclaimed expert with a penchant for sweeping generalizations--but Syrett offered a couple of opposing viewpoints to keep things interesting.

Syrett is fine........but, I was not that enthralled with his two guests.

Uncle Duke

Last night: Host Richard Syrett welcomed writer, adventurer, martial artist, and street youth counselor, Stefan Verstappen, for a discussion on the dangerous nature of psychopaths.

The word "adventurer" in the bio should have been a warning.

It took me about 15 minutes, if that, to decide that Stefan Verstappen is a tool. Any guy that proclaims his ability to be so awesome at interacting with psychopaths that they often mistake him as "one of their own," describes himself as an alpha male and won't stop talking about his authority on all things martial arts, even though we're talking about psychopaths, has inferiority issues, an inflated ego or a falsely inflated ego that's a product of inferiority issues.

Once again breaking my rules of "don't visit the guest's website," I see that Verstappen has written about 9 million self-published books. God forbid C2C book a guest with any actual authority on a topic. In the good old days, they'd have FBI profilers like Helen Morrison. Now we get this dweeb.

He gets half a point for not having a giant picture of himself in some impressive martial arts pose though. 

Oh, wait. I take that back.

[attachimg=1]

The caller near the end who called out Verstappen on having absolutely no experience or authority in the realm of psychopaths was my hero.

And although Syrett always makes me double-check my radio to make sure the station's not on NPR, he gets points for his "gentle disagreements" with Verstappen's frequent bullish*t bombs (i.e. homeless people are homeless because they're too weak to defend themselves against the psychopaths that rule corporate and functioning society).

Thank you my young, winged friend, you just saved me from wasting 3+ hours of listening to a dweeb.

PerfectTommy

Quote from: Nebraska888 on May 13, 2014, 01:36:06 PM

Syrett is fine........but, I was not that enthralled with his two guests.

Yeah, Syrett is OK in my book. I completely forgot who the guest was before the ninja psychopath.

Huw Janus

Syrett is OK (anyone is better than dooosh-nozzle Wells).  I sure miss that fat guy from MN.

I thought after Ian left, we'd stop hearing about the zombie apocalypse.  There are no such things as zombies in the Romero sense of the word. Stupid topic.

paladin1991

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 07, 2014, 11:50:23 PM
I thought after Ian left, we'd stop hearing about the zombie apocalypse.  There are no such things as zombies in the Romero sense of the word. Stupid topic.
Well.  Yet.

VtaGeezer

I'm sooo very sick of zombies in every way, shape, and form. I turned it off.

WOTR

Quote from: VtaGeezer on June 08, 2014, 11:06:23 AM
I think I left right about the time he told us that the upcoming microbiologist would tell us that a zombie bug already exists.  I hope he talked about the zombie ants (which do exit) or some other insect strains... Much like you, I decided that I did not really care to listen to more zombies.  I watched a couple of documentaries on cannibals instead.  Now THOSE people scare me in ways that no zombie ever could.

wr250

Quote from: VtaGeezer on June 08, 2014, 11:06:23 AM

[attachimg=1]

cweb

Syrett gives me a little bit of Casey Kasem vibe. Especially when he talks about the bumper music. It's cool that he's into the tunes though.

Otherwise, it seemed like he did some homework with the first guest so he's better than George in that regard. But I passed out into the second guest, which wasn't entirely due to fatigue...

EBE123

At the beginning of Syrett's last show he said George Carlin was Canadian. lol

EBE123

Elana Freeland mentioned the Tunguska incident of 1908 and how Admiral Byrd's voyage to Antarctica happened a day later, although it began in 1928. She thought Byrd went to the Arctic to investigate Tunguska, but it's in the middle of Siberia and nowhere near Antarctica. lol

Jackstar

HEY DID YOU HEAR THIS GUY TALKING ABOUT THE oh wait.

b_dubb

Quote from: EBE123 on June 12, 2014, 01:01:30 AM
At the beginning of Syrett's last show he said George Carlin was Canadian. lol
The Nooronic plagues is spreading

One of tonight's guests:

" First hour guest, Webster Tarpley, philosopher of history"

philosopher of history...what kind of qualification is that?

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 28, 2014, 10:25:01 PM
One of tonight's guests:

He sounds like a Bob and Ray character!

[attachimg=1]

ItsOver

One of tonight's guests:

Damn. I was hoping for a historian of philosophy.

yumyumtree

He's a truther, or at least holds them in high esteem.

Juan Cena

One of tonight's guests:

He's a Lyndon LaRouche crony. That's all you really need to know about him.

paladin1991

IIRC, Webby has his own show.  Just got in, will have to dial up the Coast show.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Juan Cena on June 28, 2014, 11:40:53 PM
He's a Lyndon LaRouche crony. That's all you really need to know about him.

Without the decency of giving his material out for free at a train station. This fucker charges 30 bucks a book.

Beyond Bleef

Thanks, Richard, for treating us to a disciple of Lyndon LaDouche.  It's always nice to hear another conspiracy monger drone on about how 9-11 was an inside job.

It's long past time to scrap Coast to Coast AM.  It's worn out and broken.  It's beyond repair. 

PerfectTommy

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 28, 2014, 11:42:58 PM
     Without the decency of giving his material out for free at a train station. This fucker charges 30 bucks a book.

Even conspiracy shysters gotta eat. The willfully ignorant are gladly shelling out the dough just to tickle their fickle ears with fantasies.

Who am I to begrudge those who capitalize the opportunity?