• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 05, 2014, 06:50:04 PM
Art had plenty of shows where he was as challenging as a wet paper towel as well.
I simply think it's one thing to have someone on talking about the cover-up of the hole at the North Pole; another to have someone spinning fantasies about real people with real influence.  Maybe Putin was listening and will demand his $27 Trillion back.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Foodlion on May 05, 2014, 06:52:05 PM
In all of the years he had a few maybe. This is just the tip of the iceburg we're talking about in C2C's history. Noory on the other hand sunk the fucking Titanic.
Spot on.  And Bell also avoided most politically-tinged topics.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 05, 2014, 06:50:04 PM
Art had plenty of shows where he was as challenging as a wet paper towel as well.

Exactly.  I mean who really knows, but I wonder if e.g. Art ever really bought into any of Hoagland's ideas, or if rather, he just thought it was somewhat plausible speculation, and made for interesting radio, and so gave him alot of latitude.  (If mean c'mon, if you want the mainstream space news, just go to the NASA website.)

It's one thing if the guests are totally irrational and combative and refuse to answer questions etc., then the host has to reign things in.  But otherwise ya gotta just enable them to express themselves for the most part since alot of it is opinion, hearsay, conjecture, paranoia, whatever, and you can't really pin them down anyway. 

Also some of it is true or at least has kernels of truth and therein lies the compelling element, as we are made to wonder "what if".  A good host like Art or G. Knapp will give room for a rich picture to emerge, instead of just killing it with a hard-boiled gotcha attitude.  On the other hand you can go too far, like Noory, who is so detached that he serves no useful purpose in eliciting anything useful from the guests.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 05, 2014, 07:08:16 PM
Spot on.  And Bell also avoided most politically-tinged topics.
Not true, at all. Even before this massive archive (thanks to all but especially you-know-who who completed it, though I'm still missing the "feral human" show!) one could find many shows that shows you are wrong.  Art had plenty of politically-tinged topics. Heck, he even had a show with Dr.William Pierce and, though, did question him some, still let him go on about about the "jews", "race mixing" etc without much real questioning. Though, I think it was a good thing because sometimes it is best to let someone hoist themselves on their own petard. But many other shows also with various militia types (he was against them but took callers and shut some down very well), his gloating over the "republican revolution" and Gingrich and anti-Clinton diatribes hoping for impeachment etc. And his shows against the Clinton gun-ban stuff. I'm not saying I don't agree with Art on those issues but hardly "paranormal" or not political. And, many, many HGH and other "health" topics and advertisers. So, I think, it is not so much the subjects- or even the politics or advertisers- but the hosts. There was always "snake oil", political subjects, fringe topics, and paranormal. But questions were asked, callers weren't screened, and people (including guests and callers) were cut off if were boring, slandering, or going too far into incredulity.

I have tried listening to every Syrett show, at least for a bit. His voice is a little monotone and he has a delivery style somewhat like Knapp's.. At least I thought.

But I am not ready to praise him yet.
As a matter of fact, I find most of hours of programming to be flat and dull.
And that is the problem with Coast in general: It's usually just plain boring.

I have yet to find Syrett to be different.

Art did consistently challenge callers.
I was thinking more of the shows with guests like Greer and the alien in the freezer guy. Or the hollow world beneath the surface of Alaska stuff.
A guest pointing the finger at real people wasn't something I had considered though; but I will keep a listen for how Art handles that in the future shows I listen to.

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 05, 2014, 08:40:28 PM
Art did consistently challenge callers.
I was thinking more of the shows with guests like Greer and the alien in the freezer guy. Or the hollow world beneath the surface of Alaska stuff.
A guest pointing the finger at real people wasn't something I had considered though; but I will keep a listen for how Art handles that in the future shows I listen to.
He did cut off a few guests and would challenge them. But certainly he was harder with callers but that could be because he was sharp and also not screened (normally) and had some frequent callers (though, sometimes, I wondered if some of it wasn't sorta schtick like with the old "liberal caller" Bill etc back in the day.) He certainly was rough with militia supporter callers also. And was really hard in cutting off anyone who tried to use real names, incidents, personal grudges, etc. I think Art is very legally savvy- one reason why I don't believe some of the Sirius-XM fooling him.) He could control the show well. And seemed to have a knack of when to "let it go" with regard to a caller or guest and when to "shut it down" before it got too quacky or legally troubling. Maybe because he paid attention to what was happening??

zeebo

To be honest sometimes Art's challenges seemed to me to have just as much to do with his own mood that night versus the guest that was on. 

For instance he was real fired up the night he had Seth Shostak of SETI on DM and gave him a pretty hard time because he kept his to his sober scientific views, as opposed to wondering off into wild pseudo-science speculation like Hoagland.  I was kind of scratching my head over that one.

But that was part of why he's a great host in a way, he's comes across as a genuine person, not a "radio personality" like Noory aspires to be.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.  Back to Syrett.  I wish they could modulate his voice down a few notches, it comes across kinda whiny to me, but still, I think he's ok and will listen again.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on May 05, 2014, 11:31:07 PM

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.  Back to Syrett.  I wish they could modulate his voice down a few notches, it comes across kinda whiny to me, but still, I think he's ok and will listen again.
Yeah, Syrett has this mild NPR-like voice that is tough to listen too, especially late at night when you are already tired.

VtaGeezer

Just checked tonight's agenda...no Knapp...Syrett on "urban survival". What?  Like we don't get enough homebred doom & gloom so we have to import it from Canada now?

zeebo

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 11, 2014, 02:52:31 PM
Just checked tonight's agenda...no Knapp...Syrett on "urban survival". What?  Like we don't get enough homebred doom & gloom so we have to import it from Canada now?

Well their beer is pretty good, I'll try out a pint of Canadian gloom.

ZHero

Quote from: zeebo on May 11, 2014, 10:44:04 PM
Well their beer is pretty good, I'll try out a pint of Canadian gloom.

I love the Canadian people and their beautiful country.  Hell, if it weren't so damn cold up there
I would move there.  I only wish they would take Justin Bieber back!  ;D

paladin1991

Not digging these guests.  Urban survival?  Talking about Psycopaths.

zeebo

Quote from: ZHero on May 12, 2014, 12:34:54 AM
I love the Canadian people and their beautiful country.  Hell, if it weren't so damn cold up there
I would move there.  I only wish they would take Justin Bieber back!  ;D

I have a feeling they've revoked his passport.  We're probably stuck with him.  If they try the same move with Celine Dion, it's time to declare war.

paladin1991

Ah well.  I'm done.  No urban survival.  Good night all.

zeebo

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 12, 2014, 01:10:43 AM

I thought urban survival for Canadians would basically be beer, moose jerky, and warm hats.

Quick Karl

The psychopath guy is 100% on the money.

WOTR

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 12, 2014, 01:10:43 AM
I will second that.  I made it to the part where he is an alpha male and the psychopaths would often think he was one as well and let him in on their little "secret" (paraphrasing.)  That is it for me.

I probably should have listened to the start of the show to get the guests credentials.  He certainly does not sound as though he as any (my best friend was a psychopath, all politicians are psychopaths, psychopaths would take me into their confidence).  To me he sounds as though he decided that he has observed a few casually and therefore now believes that he is an expert who should be on the radio...

Still better than that jackass of a "psychiatrist" that Noory seemed to have on every second night a few months back... But I just cannot be bothered to waste my time with a guy who "reads the selfish gene" and decides that it is genetic "and then reads something else" and is convinced the other way.  You REALLY need to have better researched and thought out positions to capture my respect and / or attention.

Perhaps it is that I lack empathy and therefore feel insulted or worry that I will confide in the great alpha male and my deep, dark secrets will be exposed?

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on May 12, 2014, 01:28:31 AM
I thought urban survival for Canadians would basically be beer bacon, moose jerky, and warm hats maple syrup.

fixed it.
and thats why canadians are  tasty.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on May 06, 2014, 11:52:13 AM
Yeah, Syrett has this mild NPR-like voice that is tough to listen too, especially late at night when you are already tired.
I made it through the first hour last night before Mr. Milquetoast put me to sleep.  Isn't this guy suppose to be "The Canadian Art Bell?"  Geesh, I'd hate to hear "The Canadian Jorch Noory." :P

paladin1991

Quote from: wotr1 on May 12, 2014, 03:09:24 AM
I will second that.  I made it to the part where he is an alpha male and the psychopaths would often think he was one as well and let him in on their little "secret" (paraphrasing.)  That is it for me.

Alpha male my ass.  Alphas just are.  No need to proclaim it.  "I'm an Alpha male and all the psycos will warm up to me and eat scones and drink tea with me.  And then we go look at their knife collection"

VtaGeezer

Quote from: wotr1 on May 12, 2014, 03:09:24 AM
I probably should have listened to the start of the show to get the guests credentials.  He certainly does not sound as though he as any (my best friend was a psychopath, all politicians are psychopaths, psychopaths would take me into their confidence).  To me he sounds as though he decided that he has observed a few casually and therefore now believes that he is an expert who should be on the radio...
I heard part of the ridiculous first hour on people who shut off street lights, and the beginning of the second segment.  The psychopath guy had no credentials; just another self-anointed, self-published phony worthy of Noory.  Syrett is as smarmy as Noory. IMO. he's worn out his welcome

paladin1991

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 12, 2014, 08:57:24 AM
I heard part of the ridiculous first hour on people who shut off street lights, and the beginning of the second segment.  The psychopath guy had no credentials; just another self-anointed, self-published phony worthy of Noory.  Syrett is as smarmy as Noory. IMO. he's worn out his welcome
YOu know.  We here should start our own podcast.  Wait a minute, I think I'm on to something.

wr250

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 12, 2014, 09:22:13 AM
YOu know.  We here should start our own podcast.  Wait a minute, I think I'm on to something.

maybe call it the gabcast or something

FallenSeraph

Last night: Host Richard Syrett welcomed writer, adventurer, martial artist, and street youth counselor, Stefan Verstappen, for a discussion on the dangerous nature of psychopaths.

The word "adventurer" in the bio should have been a warning.

It took me about 15 minutes, if that, to decide that Stefan Verstappen is a tool. Any guy that proclaims his ability to be so awesome at interacting with psychopaths that they often mistake him as "one of their own," describes himself as an alpha male and won't stop talking about his authority on all things martial arts, even though we're talking about psychopaths, has inferiority issues, an inflated ego or a falsely inflated ego that's a product of inferiority issues.

Once again breaking my rules of "don't visit the guest's website," I see that Verstappen has written about 9 million self-published books. God forbid C2C book a guest with any actual authority on a topic. In the good old days, they'd have FBI profilers like Helen Morrison. Now we get this dweeb.

He gets half a point for not having a giant picture of himself in some impressive martial arts pose though. 

Oh, wait. I take that back.

[attachimg=1]

The caller near the end who called out Verstappen on having absolutely no experience or authority in the realm of psychopaths was my hero.

And although Syrett always makes me double-check my radio to make sure the station's not on NPR, he gets points for his "gentle disagreements" with Verstappen's frequent bullish*t bombs (i.e. homeless people are homeless because they're too weak to defend themselves against the psychopaths that rule corporate and functioning society).

Little Hater

Can't touch this guy, though:

Nebraska888

Quote from: zeebo on May 12, 2014, 01:28:31 AM
I thought urban survival for Canadians would basically be beer, moose jerky, and warm hats.

You are toooooo funny!   ;D

The program was ok.....nothing to get excited about.  I don't mind Syrett.....he does just fine.  These topics, however, were not interesting to me.

b_dubb

Quote from: Little Hater on May 12, 2014, 10:57:30 AM

Can't touch this guy, though:

straight crazy. another guy who owes his "career" to calling in to Coast and making shit up.

My God, Dick Syrett has amazing hair.
I would give a nickel to rub my hands through it..
And I am  a man.

But I would give $100 to run  my hands through Noory.
And I am still a man.

ItsOver

Not only does he sound like an NPR weenie, he LOOKS like an NPR weenie. Maybe he's really from Minnesooota and is just posing as a Canadian to appear "trendy," eh?