• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Guess I'll watch some of the Keystone Chaplin shorts because it is dead as a doornail on Bellgab now.

Lord Grantham

Watched 'La La Land' this weekend, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Liked it enough that I would recommend it.

Quote from: Lord Grantham on March 12, 2018, 07:33:47 AM
Watched 'La La Land' this weekend, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Liked it enough that I would recommend it.

It is probably on Showtime/HBO/Skinemax/Starz On Demand.  I'll catch it on there.  Maybe Mother! is on there too. I'm curious to see both but don't necessarily want to pay extra to see them.

Recently watched The Murder On The Orient Express with Kenneth Branaugh as Poirot.  He was good but the movie was just ok.  I had predicted Michelle Pffeifer's character as the head culprit as it was too obvious that her character was faking it.  My guess is that is probably Pffeifer's fault and not Christie's.  The CGI was all too obvious in regards to the train and the terrain it was passing through.  Still haven't seen the Finney/Bergman version but I imagine that was much better.  2.25 stars out of 5

Lord Grantham

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 12, 2018, 09:20:56 AM
It is probably on Showtime/HBO/Skinemax/Starz On Demand.  I'll catch it on there.  Maybe Mother! is on there too. I'm curious to see both but don't necessarily want to pay extra to see them.

Recently watched The Murder On The Orient Express with Kenneth Branaugh as Poirot.  He was good but the movie was just ok.  I had predicted Michelle Pffeifer's character as the head culprit as it was too obvious that her character was faking it.  My guess is that is probably Pffeifer's fault and not Christie's.  The CGI was all too obvious in regards to the train and the terrain it was passing through.  Still haven't seen the Finney/Bergman version but I imagine that was much better.  2.25 stars out of 5

It was on HBO.

Mother! seems interesting but I haven't gotten around to it. RedLetterMedia did a review of it which spoiled most of it for me as far as the symbolism in the movie goes.

Quote from: Lord Grantham on March 12, 2018, 09:25:34 AM
It was on HBO.

Mother! seems interesting but I haven't gotten around to it. RedLetterMedia did a review of it which spoiled most of it for me as far as the symbolism in the movie goes.

Ok. Thanks!  :D

ItsOver

I didn't realize Ross Martin had played Charlie Chan.  It was just a "made for TV" movie, apparently with some intent to do a TV series.  Made in '70 but not shown in the U.S. until '79, so don't get your hopes up too much.  At least it also had Leslie Nielsen.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/414167/Return-Of-Charlie-Chan-The/

Quote from: ItsOver on March 12, 2018, 10:08:55 AM
I didn't realize Ross Martin had played Charlie Chan.  It was just a "made for TV" movie, apparently with some intent to do a TV series.  Made in '70 but not shown in the U.S. until '79, so don't get your hopes up too much.  At least it also had Leslie Nielsen.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/414167/Return-Of-Charlie-Chan-The/

I remember seeing part of that. It was probably 30 years ago. I don't think I finished watching it.  As much as I love Ross,  I just can't see him as Chan.  To me Warner Oland is Chan and Toler was a decent replacement.  I never watched the Roland Winters ones but I plan to in the not to distant future.

I remember about 25 years ago seeing George Takei on some show where he was protesting the release of the classic Chan films on video because Anglos played Chan.  It was at that point that I decided I didn't like Takei as a person.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 12, 2018, 02:27:30 PM
I remember seeing part of that. It was probably 30 years ago. I don't think I finished watching it.  As much as I love Ross,  I just can't see him as Chan.  To me Warner Oland is Chan and Toler was a decent replacement.  I never watched the Roland Winters ones but I plan to in the not to distant future.

I remember about 25 years ago seeing George Takei on some show where he was protesting the release of the classic Chan films on video because Anglos played Chan.  It was at that point that I decided I didn't like Takei as a person.

Takei must have loved Mickey Rooney playing  the Japanese neighbor in "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 12, 2018, 02:36:23 PM
Takei must have loved Mickey Rooney playing  the Japanese neighbor in "Breakfast at Tiffany's".
Yeah, I'm sure. Charlie Chan was a credit to his race, a loyal American, family man who raised sons who were "All American Boys,"- one even competed in the Olympics-, and helped fight crime and the NAZIs. Why the hate? I could understand, a bit, if Takei was bitching if they revived the Fu Manchu movies and books? Which I hope they do.

Quote from: albrecht on March 12, 2018, 05:26:41 PM
Yeah, I'm sure. Charlie Chan was a credit to his race, a loyal American, family man who raised sons who were "All American Boys,"- one even competed in the Olympics-, and helped fight crime and the NAZIs. Why the hate? I could understand, a bit, if Takei was bitching if they revived the Fu Manchu movies and books? Which I hope they do.

He's not Chinese but Japanese. He should stick to Mr. Moto.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 12, 2018, 06:04:51 PM
He's not Chinese but Japanese. He should stick to Mr. Moto.
Ha. Yes, good point though it could be expected for me a gweilo or baijo to not know the differences but he should know. He shouldn't complain about Charlie or Fu but only Mr.Moto.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on March 12, 2018, 06:08:27 PM
Ha. Yes, good point though it could be expected for me a gweilo or baijo to not know the differences but he should know. He shouldn't complain about Charlie or Fu but only Mr.Moto.

He can complain all he wants, but nobody can top Peter Lorre in the Moto roll.  Lorre as Moto was killer.  In fact he shot the bad guys dead, stabbed them to death, and once he even threw an enemy agent (who was posing as a ship's purser,) overboard.

https://youtu.be/1PvC6sD0oT0

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 12, 2018, 08:24:49 PM
He can complain all he wants, but nobody can top Peter Lorre in the Moto roll.  Lorre as Moto was killer.  In fact he shot the bad guys dead, stabbed them to death, and once he even threw an enemy agent (who was posing as a ship's purser,) overboard.

https://youtu.be/1PvC6sD0oT0
Indeed. But the nice, or "very interesting" to crib from Chan- or Peter Davenport, is Chan, like Holmes, uses his mind and despite his Oriental personage not wily atttacks.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on March 12, 2018, 11:59:32 PM
Indeed. But the nice, or "very interesting" to crib from Chan- or Peter Davenport, is Chan, like Holmes, uses his mind and despite his Oriental personage not wily atttacks.

Haha, that's right.  I don't know how many times I've seen Charlie trick the bad guys into shooting or knifing his pillows that were wrapped in bedcovers, making them think that it was him.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 12, 2018, 02:27:30 PM

What, "The Wild, Wild West Master of Disguise" didn't quite pull off Charlie?  ;) :D  From Wiki, " Martin himself created most of his disguises for the show [The Wild, Wild West], and most of the cast had no idea what he would look like until seeing him during the shooting of the episode."

But, yeah, I agree, Oland is Chan.  It's like somebody doing Columbo after Falk.  Speaking of Columbo, one of the better episodes was one with Ross Martin, in 1971, "Suitable for Framing."  That was right when Columbo was in it's prime.  I wonder if Ross thought Chan might have made a great TV series, ala Columbo, when he did his one shot at it in '73.

Anyhow, since MeTV started showing "The Wild, Wild West," I occasionally watch it.  Martin is enjoyable to watch.  For me, more so than Robert Conrad.  Of course, Conrad was ALSO a Columbo villain and that episode was also quite good.  All said, STILL better than this abortion of "The Wild, Wild West."

https://www.gq.com/story/will-smith-sorry-about-wild-west

ItsOver

Heads-up, especially for Albrecht and other MeTV fans.

SVENGOOLIE MOVIE UPDATE!
Due to circumstances beyond our control, the movie originally scheduled for Saturday, March 17th, is unavailable on that date.

The good news, however, is that we will be presenting a brand-new Svengoolie show in its place- it’s the great Vincent Price, starring in “The Mad Magician”! This special show also includes an interview with special effects make-up artist Michael Burnett, a visit from Tombstone, a tribute from New Jersey, a new song, and more!

Thanks for your patience â€" tune in for “The Mad Magician” - this Saturday night on MeTV!

I'm always down for some Vincent.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on March 13, 2018, 02:27:03 PM
Heads-up, especially for Albrecht and other MeTV fans.

SVENGOOLIE MOVIE UPDATE!
Due to circumstances beyond our control, the movie originally scheduled for Saturday, March 17th, is unavailable on that date.

The good news, however, is that we will be presenting a brand-new Svengoolie show in its place- it’s the great Vincent Price, starring in “The Mad Magician”! This special show also includes an interview with special effects make-up artist Michael Burnett, a visit from Tombstone, a tribute from New Jersey, a new song, and more!

Thanks for your patience â€" tune in for “The Mad Magician” - this Saturday night on MeTV!

I'm always down for some Vincent.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm always down for some Vincent Price also.

Goldfinger

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 12, 2018, 02:36:23 PM

not as much as sucking dicks tho

Just watched Sextette (1978) with 84 year old Mae West and Timothy Dalton playing a newlywed couple-I'm not kidding-who decide to go to a hotel in London to consummate their marriage and all sorts of distractions abound.  Oh Dear Lord, this is one movie everyone should see.  How they convinced actors such as Walter Pidgeon, George Raft and Tony Curtis to appear in the film is beyond me.  Turns out there is some kind of world summit taking place at the hotel and Mae is needed to cool off tensions between the West represented by Pidgeon and Jimmy Carter (a look-alike) and the Soviet Union represented by Tony Curtis.  It turns out Tony is husband #3 and Mae gets him in the sack one last time in order to persuade him to sign the treaty.  Hubby #6 (Dalton) is distracted by Rona Barrett and other reporters on-site who are reporting that he is a homosexual.  Meanwhile hubby number 4 (Ringo Starr playing a Lubitsch-type director) and Hubby # 5  (mobster George Hamilton) show up to provide further laughs.

Dom Deluise plays West's manager who is also in love with Mae and is willing to do anything to stall the inevitable consummation.  He does a song and tap-dance number (he was still just a bit stocky not fat like later) version of the Beatles Honey-Pie which I found enjoyable if ridiculous.  Those aren't the only numbers in the film.  Dalton croons Love Will Keep Us Together (Yes the Sedaka song popularized by The Captain and Tennille) with inserted Mae answers.  That is to be seen to be believed.  Mae West does a rearranged female version of Sedaka's  Happy Birthday ,Sweet Sixteen retitled  You're Young, Have Fun, You're 21.  That's not the worst of it either.  Rock stars Keith Moon and Alice Cooper appear to provide further comedy and music.  Moon plays a flamboyant dress designer who breaks down into his Robert Newton pirate impersonation. Cooper, playing against type, plays a waiter who breaks into a cheesy disco-era song during the finale of the movie.

West throws out her old double entendre's and some new ones.  She struts around the hotel doing her cocktease routine rather well for an 84 year old lady though she is heavily made up.  This is obviously intended to be a campy film and nothing to take seriously but it is just bizarre and it is a one-of-a-kind film.  I can't say it is awful.  It has something going for it and should have gone the midnight movie route ala Rocky Horror.  I'm sure Alice Cooper is relieved that it didn't have that kind of success or he might have had to endure his later years typed into kitsch roles rather than returning to his horror music roots.

You will break out in laughter several times watching this movie and you will also view it aghast with horror.  I think it did what it was intended to do.  Only Mae West would have the balls to try anything like this at her advanced age.  I'm going to give it a 3.5 out of 5 for sheer audacity and camp entertainment.  You can watch it for free if you have Amazon Prime.  The print is obviously taken from a VHS copy but it is adequate and not detrimental to enjoyment of the film.  Gowns by Edith Head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hybUjvc49I0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsaAaL6UnI

A picture of a 17 year old Mae West from 1910.  Thought it would help to get over the clips posted.  LOL.  Rather pretty with little makeup.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 17, 2018, 02:04:10 PM
A picture of a 17 year old Mae West from 1910.  Thought it would help to get over the clips posted.  LOL.  Rather pretty with little makeup.

I'd probably come up and see her sometime.  ;) ;) :P

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 17, 2018, 02:22:16 PM
I'd probably come up and see her sometime.  ;) ;) :P

Just leave the pot at home. LOL. She didn't drink or smoke.  No wonder her mind was sharp until the end. Against her religion!  :o She was a devout Presbyterian which is pretty hardcore. She made it up with the sex though. Too bad she didn't live long enough to do a cover of Adam Ant's Goody Two Shoes. Cap it off at the end with "when I'm good, I'm good but when I'm bad, I'm better."

ItsOver

"It has something going for it and should have gone the midnight movie route ala Rocky Horror. " This.

But, indeed, it might have been poison for Alice.

http://youtu.be/Ab-C4OKDqc0

Quote from: ItsOver on March 17, 2018, 03:42:11 PM
"It has something going for it and should have gone the midnight movie route ala Rocky Horror. " This.

But, indeed, it might have been poison for Alice.

http://youtu.be/Ab-C4OKDqc0

LOL.  Just in case some people missed it when I first posted it a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CO52Fe1mKU

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 17, 2018, 04:02:07 PM
LOL.  Just in case some people missed it when I first posted it a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CO52Fe1mKU
Heh, heh... if Alice survived "Monster Dog," well, yeeewww know...

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 17, 2018, 04:11:50 PM
Lighten up, flyboy! All your friends are doing it. ;)

https://www.purpleclover.com/entertainment/6119-hollywood-potheads/

I knew Garner was a pothead.  So was Bing Crosby.  Now you know why he was so mellow and sang the way he did.  ;) I was just saying West didn't like mind altering chemicals including alcohol and she didn't touch cigarettes.  I really don't have a problem with some people doing pot.  I think it helped Willie Nelson.  I do think there are problems when people get fixated on it and I think it does make some people stupid but some people have a brain that goes 100 mph and they would like it dropped down to 50.  I'm worried that there will be many more people rather addicted to it if it is legalized countrywide but I'm not as opposed to it as I once was.  Let people take responsibility for what they put into their bodies.  The nanny state shouldn't tell them what to do.