• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

onan

If time doesn't really exist as the guy in the video presents as a psychological concept, then what was the 9.05 minutes I wasted watching him?

James G.

i admit I don't listen to Coast-To-Coast AM anymore. Yet, I admit I tuned into Mr. George Knapp Sunday night (2/20/11) and he did great. I will only listen to the program when Mr. Knapp hosts it.

I admit I dig his intro: Something the the effect: Coming to you from the Great Mohave Desert of Las Vegas, Nevada, slamming into your radio like a Sirocco...Gotta love Mr. Knapp. He's the true Coast-To-Coast AM these days.

Without Mr. Knapp, the program fails.

anagrammy

Let's face it.  We want our weirdness out of Nevada.  We made an exception for Art out of loyalty and his openness about it being hard to do a night show in the middle of the afternoon in Manila.  I say the show suffered a decline after the move to the Philippines, and there are probably multiple reasons for that like the focus being on the technology being undependable and a baby crying in the next room.  And between the lines, because Art never said,  it's a lot less inspirational sitting in a condo than it was sitting under the desert arc of sky overhead just waiting for a dot that moves with intelligence...

George Knapp is the only host who has the flavor of the old Coast.  The other hosts all have good points, some more than others, but George is clearly the heir apparent if you want sophistication and skepticism with your "angels."

Unfortunately, there is a big new audience of baby boomers who have replaced Sylvia Brown with George Noory.  They buy streamlink.  They want to have their egos stroked by being told they are "Coast Insiders."  They are lonely and uncritical.  They are not us, but they sure as hell count in ratings.

I would not be at all surprised to see George Knapp team up with Art for something new and let Noory have at it.  By the way, I notice that Knapp is getting more intelligent callers than Noory.  Anyone else agree?

Anagrammy

b_dubb

I still like C2C weekends. The recent Knapp show was great!

James G.

Quote from: anagrammy on February 22, 2011, 04:52:28 PM
George Knapp is the only host who has the flavor of the old Coast. 

Anyone else agree?

Anagrammy

Agreed. Mr. Knapp is good.

Fly By Night

He's a Junior Art Bell. I trust the guy, even though I'm not too sure about Bob Lazar; who of course Knapp made famous.

James G.

Quote from: b_dubb on February 22, 2011, 06:09:39 PM
I still like C2C weekends. The recent Knapp show was great!

Agreed. But help me out, guys. From my memory -- and I cannot cheat and look it up -- doesn't his intro say something to the effect: "Coming to you from the Mohave Desert of Las Vegas, Nevada, slamming into your radios like a Sirocco." Something like that. Mr. Knapp is class. True class.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: James G. on February 23, 2011, 09:02:56 PM
Agreed. But help me out, guys. From my memory -- and I cannot cheat and look it up -- doesn't his intro say something to the effect: "Coming to you from the Mohave Desert of Las Vegas, Nevada, slamming into your radios like a Sirocco." Something like that. Mr. Knapp is class. True class.

(KNAPP VERSION:)

“Good evening everyone, you’re in the right place at the right time. This is Coast to Coast AM. Coming at you, blasting out of the Mojave Desert like a sirocco, blazing across the land, into your town, into your home, slamming into your radio like a supercharged nano particle of dark energy.

You’ve arrived at a nexus point, a crossroads of shadow and light, a phantasmic oracle market place of ideas and blasphemies, grand melting pot of cultures and subcultures, from the benign to the bizarre, all on the same path searching for breadcrumbs of cosmic understanding and hoping we’ll be able to follow the trail back to where we started. Greetings from the boldest, bawdiest most outrageous city in the world, the planetary capital of sun, fun, sin, sex and secrets, my not so humble hometown, Las Vegas, Nevada.

My name is George Knapp, your occasional host, your designated driver of the airwaves, and moderator of tonight’s upcoming cacophony of conversation. Glad to be with you once again.”

(NOORY VERSION)

“Good evening everyone, you’re in the right place at the right, ahh, day. This is Coast to Coast AM. Coming at you, blast-er-ing out of my bathroom like a sir-ahhh-cco, blazing across the land, into your town, into your home, slamming into yer radio like a supercharged nano particular of dank energy.

You’ve arrived at a nexus-ass point, a crossroads of shadow people and a worker in the light, a phantasmicable oracle market place of ideas and blasphemics, grand melting pot of cultures and subculturals, from the benign to the bizarre, all on the same path searching for breadcrumbs of cosmetic understanding and hoping we’ll be able to follow the tail back to where we started. Greetings from the boldest, bawdiest most outrageous city in the world, the planetary capital of sun, fun, sin, sextants and secrets, my not so humble hometown, St.Louis, Missouri.

My name is George Noory, your occasional host, your designated drunk driver of the airwaves, and moderator of tonight’s upcoming cacophon-iaical of conversation. Glad to be with you once again.”

aldousburbank

Quote from: Marc Knight on February 23, 2011, 09:32:34 PM
searching for breadcrumbs of cosmetic understanding
your designated drunk driver of the airwaves
[/font][/color]

Heh  hehheh  hoooo!!!!

James G.

“Good evening everyone, you’re in the right place at the right time. This is Coast to Coast AM. Coming at you, blasting out of the Mojave Desert like a sirocco, blazing across the land, into your town, into your home, slamming into your radio like a supercharged nano particle of dark energy.

You’ve arrived at a nexus point, a crossroads of shadow and light, a phantasmic oracle market place of ideas and blasphemies, grand melting pot of cultures and subcultures, from the benign to the bizarre, all on the same path searching for breadcrumbs of cosmic understanding and hoping we’ll be able to follow the trail back to where we started. Greetings from the boldest, bawdiest most outrageous city in the world, the planetary capital of sun, fun, sin, sex and secrets, my not so humble hometown, Las Vegas, Nevada.

My name is George Knapp, your occasional host, your designated driver of the airwaves, and moderator of tonight’s upcoming cacophony of conversation. Glad to be with you once again.”

Beautiful. Thanks for the quote, Marc Knight. It's beautiful, man (quoting Mr. Tony Bruno, Into The Night, Fox-Sports Radio)

valdez

(NOORY VERSION)

“Good evening everyone, you’re in the right place at the right, ahh, day. This is Coast to Coast AM. Coming at you, blast-er-ing out of my bathroom like a sir-ahhh-cco, blazing across the land, into your town, into your home, slamming into yer radio like a supercharged nano particular of dank energy.

You’ve arrived at a nexus-ass point, a crossroads of shadow people and a worker in the light, a phantasmicable oracle market place of ideas and blasphemics, grand melting pot of cultures and subculturals, from the benign to the bizarre, all on the same path searching for breadcrumbs of cosmetic understanding and hoping we’ll be able to follow the tail back to where we started. Greetings from the boldest, bawdiest most outrageous city in the world, the planetary capital of sun, fun, sin, sextants and secrets, my not so humble hometown, St.Louis, Missouri.

My name is George Noory, your occasional host, your designated drunk driver of the airwaves, and moderator of tonight’s upcoming cacophon-iaical of conversation. Glad to be with you once again.”

(IAN VERSION)
     ...Is the mic on?  Great.  So today I went to buy some eggs...

Quote from: valdez on February 24, 2011, 05:20:06 AM

(IAN VERSION)
     ...Is the mic on?  Great.  So today I went to buy some eggs...

Oh man, that got me laughing!  You nailed it.

(still an Ian fan, though)

anagrammy

Knapp did a terrific job interviewing Mat Stein, author of "When Tech Fails."  Halfway through the first hour I noticed that I was able to focus on the guest, who was factual and made sense instead of having the gaffes of the host overshadow the guest and the subject matter.  Lately I've been leaning closer to the radio paying more attention to Noory's ineptness than the topic.

Keeping that in mind, I would suggest that we may hope for the same dynamic to happen to Noory as did with Glenn Beck.  At first the rodeo clown was a kind of talking traffic accident, everyone running to look.  His "Perfect Storm" conspiracy that only he could see was kind of fascinating and chilling at first, but now he has overplayed the hand and his new perfect storm, the caliphate conspiracy has conservatives diving over hedges to distance themselves from Wacky Glenn.  His ratings are down 50%.

George Noory's "we'll get through it together" smarmy fake niceness is like a spoonful of honey.  The first one is pretty good, the second one is ok and the third so on make you want to puke.  It's been noted on the GN Compendium site that the shows and stories are getting more and more repetitive with no substantial probing or comment, just the hosting statements, like "...and now to the wild card line." 

The present popularity is due primarily to package syndication where people have to take Coast if they take Rush, or some such.  And there really is no late night national competition, as I understand it.  Before Premier would be willing to offer Knapp a godfather offer, the ratings would have to slip despite the bundling.  Then they would know people were tired of "there are no coincidences" and would like to have someone say something like, "Wasn't that the year before Travis Walton?"  Like someone who actually has a base of knowledge about key subjects.  Knapp may not have it off the top of his head, like Art does, but he has enough respect for our kind of listener to do the research.

I think Art and Knapp may cook something up when Art is free of contractual obligations.  And I might be dreaming, but don't we all believe in putting stuff out to the universe?

Anagrammy

Scully

Well said, as always, Anagrammy.  I love knowing I have such kindred minds at work on this site.  Like you, I've realized that the only thing that makes Coast of any interest these days is waiting for Noory's next faux pas.

Having said that, am I imagining it or has Noory very recently started to pay more attention to what his guests are saying? Do you suppose someone has been reading our Coastgab posts to him?    ::)

anagrammy

Quote from: Scully on March 02, 2011, 01:10:10 AM
Well said, as always, Anagrammy.  I love knowing I have such kindred minds at work on this site.  Like you, I've realized that the only thing that makes Coast of any interest these days is waiting for Noory's next faux pas.

Having said that, am I imagining it or has Noory very recently started to pay more attention to what his guests are saying? Do you suppose someone has been reading our Coastgab posts to him?    ::)

EXACTLY, Scully! I laughed out loud like I do every time I visit Coastgab.  I feel lucky to have found a group that shares my (woo-woo) interests and also has the humor gene in the Art Bell vein.

The Dufusnoory would be unable to find Coastgab because Google is too difficult.  An eight year old could cover his ass better than Noory with the internet in front of him.  He could check out sanscrit and find out it wasn't really "sandswrit" after all, and would Googlemap Turkey before he opened his pie hole.  ALTHOUGH, Hoagland did comment the other day that he was IMing Noory during the show--so at least he had the laptop open, probably pointing out the little box to Lisa and whispering, "What is that?"

Swear to God, I had a vision last night that Snoory began using the Royal "We."  I showed up at Premiere with a baseball bat and was arrested.  But when I explained the whole situation to the judge, he let me off saying it was a case of aggravated justifiable threatening,  "Leave the show and nobody gets hurt.  Here's the mike, say goodbye." As I was leaving, the judge whispered, "Do you know if Art Bell is coming back?"

Do you think he was an angel?

Anagrammy

Scully

Quote from: ArtBellFan on October 05, 2010, 11:25:22 AM
Another thing I asked Knapp when we were emailing back anf forth was what he thought of Noory, his answer was not a fair question..thought that very interesting, take it anyway you want to.

I'm so glad you posted this.  I'm in a little email exchange with George Knapp right now, and this gives me some needed insight. I think he took offense to my emailed disappointment with his Sun. night program. The part about China's potential claim to the moon must be extra important to him, so he was a little snippy in his reply to me.  I've always admired him, and have written appreciative notes to him on a number of occasions.  It was really the last 3 hours of gloom and doom that I was referring to.  I may be wrong, but I doubt he has the time to have noticed that his stuff was an endless repetition of what Coast has come to represent.

Scully

Quote from: anagrammy on March 02, 2011, 04:21:08 PM

Swear to God, I had a vision last night that Snoory began using the Royal "We."  I showed up at Premiere with a baseball bat and was arrested.  But when I explained the whole situation to the judge, he let me off saying it was a case of aggravated justifiable threatening,  "Leave the show and nobody gets hurt.  Here's the mike, say goodbye." As I was leaving, the judge whispered, "Do you know if Art Bell is coming back?"

Do you think he was an angel?

Anagrammy

LOL.  I love your vision, Anagrammy.  Yes, I think he was an angel, and just too good to be true!  We can always dream, though.

Keep the faith, woo-woo sister.

I might actually listen to coast tonight, Knapp hosting and this is the first sunday that I haven't worked in years.

didn't catch a single second of it... oops...

Eddie Coyle

First half was very good...second half faltered, I found the guest to be a bit of condescending windbag.

Scully

Opposite reaction here.  Didn't care for the Lockheed Martin stuff, but thought the second half about giving up ingrained belief systems was thought-provoking, even though uncomfortable.

Knapp continues to be a very professional journalist/ interviewer, but lately I've felt like he's falling into the party line with his topics.  I've always been an admirer, so I hope his future programs change my mind.

I've been a Coast to Coast fan for over twelve years now. For several of the mediocre years I haven't tuned in more than once every few months. However I make an effort to listen to Knapp shows. I honestly feel he's the most competent guest host in the history of the show and I like his personality a lot more than anyone else except Art's. I really wish Clear Channel or whoever controls C2C now would give Knapp an offer he couldn't refuse to make him a more regular member of the show. At this point I'd be thrilled with every Sunday.

I swear Knapp is being given one show a month to keep us hardcore fans and the thinking demographic happy and interested in the show while Noory appeals to the idiot masses.

By the way, could anyone direct me to some Knapp mp3s? Wouldn't wanna cheat Uncle George out of any money but I'm craving some new C2C. PM me.

anagrammy

Knapp's last show has me still pondering.  The idea that religion, with its black and white thinking, actually causes brain cell atrophy is fascinating.  I have noticed in conversing with Mormons or other conditioned people of faith that they DO NOT THINK about what I suggest.  And when I force it, they become uncomfortable and unable to make the next logical step.  Paralyzed.  And this is what the guest was saying--that failure to think leads to loss of ability and capacity.  After a while, the person does not even hear the information that conflicts with the brainwashed belief system.

I argued with a friend that any church which punishes members for failure to observe commandments is interfering with free agency.  Perhaps god did not intend for an organization to act like a mafia hit man and force people to choose the right.  He's Mormon--there was a long silence since Mormons believe earth life is based on free agency yet there is a tremendous amount of punishing and coercion within the religion.

This is what I used to love about Art's shows.  It got me thinking.  When I hear Knapp, I feel back at home like Art was still with us.

Anagrammy

b_dubb

Quote from: anagrammy on March 22, 2011, 08:44:06 AMKnapp's last show has me still pondering.  The idea that religion, with its black and white thinking, actually causes brain cell atrophy is fascinating.
i don't know about atrophy but when you believe in a 'legalistic' interpretation of the bible then to consider anything contrary to the bible falls under 'work of the devil' type categorization.  certainly doesn't lend itself to critical thinking and actually generates lots of fear.  all because grown men and women think a red guy with horns and pitch fork is going to drag them off to a bad bad place

Scully

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on March 22, 2011, 01:37:09 AM

I swear Knapp is being given one show a month to keep us hardcore fans and the thinking demographic happy and interested in the show while Noory appeals to the idiot masses.

If I'm not mistaken, George Knapp generally does 2 Sundays a month.  Also, at the end of the 3/20 show, he said he'd be back next week.

Scully

Quote from: b_dubb on March 22, 2011, 11:52:30 AM
... when you believe in a 'legalistic' interpretation of the bible then to consider anything contrary to the bible falls under 'work of the devil' type categorization.

Yup -- Philosophy 101 calls it circular reasoning, something I've bucked up against more than once.

Bounder

I adore George Knapp, the inquisitive skeptic.  He investigates with a hopefulness that never bends a story to his biases, a very rare quality -- he's a good sport, man enough to surrender a hypothesis when it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  He thrives on the challenge and labors sincerely to further the muck-mired UFO "field," if there is such a thing.  I always find his guests provocative and entertaining, even though some of them -- as he must know -- are bags of wind (simple fact of C2C life).

I wish I could like Punnett as much as Knapp -- I really need more than one good host -- but Ian is not a humble man, and to be frank: he's crass.  His arrogance looms large.  And . . . much as he tries to downplay its influence: he's an evangelist.  He can't hide it, even slipping in his little Latin line of condescension at the close of each session.  I wonder if he's listened to himself give an interview. 

Knapp, on the other hand, is a gift to C2C.  How fortunate we are to have a legitimate journalist willfully applying his mind to the often airy-fairy Coast topic-scape, clear-cutting a firetrail through dense tangles of nonsense.

Quote from: Bounder on April 09, 2011, 01:02:18 AM
I adore George Knapp, the inquisitive skeptic.  He investigates with a hopefulness that never bends a story to his biases, a very rare quality -- he's a good sport, man enough to surrender a hypothesis when it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  He thrives on the challenge and labors sincerely to further the muck-mired UFO "field," if there is such a thing.  I always find his guests provocative and entertaining, even though some of them -- as he must know -- are bags of wind (simple fact of C2C life).

I wish I could like Punnett as much as Knapp -- I really need more than one good host -- but Ian is not a humble man, and to be frank: he's crass.  His arrogance looms large.  And . . . much as he tries to downplay its influence: he's an evangelist.  He can't hide it, even slipping in his little Latin line of condescension at the close of each session.  I wonder if he's listened to himself give an interview. 

Knapp, on the other hand, is a gift to C2C.  How fortunate we are to have a legitimate journalist willfully applying his mind to the often airy-fairy Coast topic-scape, clear-cutting a firetrail through dense tangles of nonsense.

Wow.  Fantastic post, Bounder - welcome, you'll fit right in here.

I'm an Ian fan, but I can't really contradict your points.  They are a fair description of Ian sometimes.  But I like his optimism, his geekiness, and most of his taste in music.  He also recognizes , his Canadian audience (us hosers like to be noticed).  I don't mind his religious nature either.  He is a Deacon, his faith is a large part of who he is, and I like the fact that we get the real Ian on the air, warts and all.

I also like George Knapp an awful lot, and your points are spot on.  I just find him to be a wee bit dry and humorless sometimes.  Great taste in music, though, considering he comes across a bit square.

Bounder

Efharisto, RealCool Daddio!

I feel welcomed.

I like that you enjoy Ian for your own reasons -- that's as it should be.  Democracy is chaotic, and that's OK.  For me, Punnett's Deaconhood ruined any interest I might otherwise have had for his show on the Jordanian codices.  However, the one he did a little while back with Nicholas "Wrath of Khan" Meyer?  Sheer joy.  A moment of supreme, sustained geekiness.

Knapp a little over-formal?  Granted.  When it's a guest he's had history with, though, the ice isn't always so tough to break.  I agree definitely when the jokes come, George's references can be a touch dated.