• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MST3K and RiffTrax

Started by ItsOver, July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

ItsOver

Quote from: coaster on December 04, 2014, 04:17:52 PM
I wish I could find the shorts online. One would assume club mst3k would have them, but they don't. Or at least I cant find them on the site.
There's a collection here, for a nominal fee.

http://www.rifftrax.com/catalog/type/video/source/short-film

I haven't checked Youtube but I've found a number of old MST3K selections there.

Quote from: ItsOver on December 04, 2014, 04:08:38 PM
The boys are live tonight and there's a short!

"RiffTrax Live: SANTA CLAUS is tonight!
The holiday comedy event of the year is finally upon us, when Mike, Kevin and Bill hit the stage to take on the K. Gordon Murray classic SANTA CLAUS! This classic 1959 Christmas movie pits Santa, who lives in a castle in outer space with his friend Merlin of course, against the forces of evil! 

We'll be riffing the full director's cut of this movie LIVE from Nashville and beaming it through outer space to over 650 theaters across the United States for only ONE NIGHT - tonight, Thursday, December 4th, at 8pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific and tape delayed to 7pm Mountain / 8pm Pacific. If that wasn't enough, we're even riffing at NO extra charge a classic short from the good folks at ACI."

Nuts!  I have plans that cannot be broken tonight.  Enjoy!

ks3484

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 04, 2014, 05:38:18 PM

Yeah....'tis the season etc., etc., etc.

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 04, 2014, 05:38:18 PM
Great attendance again for last night's riffing.  What a strange production to emerge from Mexico.  I had a good time but of the RiffTrax Live shows for this year, "Sharknado" was by far my favorite.  The boys do a good job but I still miss the special SOL ambience provided with Crow, Servo, Joel/Mike, et al.  I'm very pleased Retro TV is still showing the classic MST3K. :))

ItsOver

Heads-up, here's what's coming-up live for 2015.  I'm continuing to enjoy MST3K on RetroTV, Saturday nights.  They've been showing some Mike shows which have been a hoot.  It's interesting to see how Mike seamlessly stepped in for Joel.  Even though he'd been a writer during Joel's reign of riffing, Mike still did a great job as a host for the show, doing it in his own humorous style.  It's a shame something similar didn't happened with C2C.  Not even close.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=267a37e356d577244d7d56991&id=b9c124bf4d&e=07f03ac337

It's official. The "rare" "OOP" Rhino copy of MST3K Volume 1 - previously routinely selling for way over a hundred bucks - NOW BLOWS.  Dealers are in a panic and are "graciously" lowering their prices to as low as $70. Fuck them. The resellers have been effectively castrated. One hopes that Shout continues with all of Rhino's OOP MST3K volumes. Long live MST3K.

Shout!Factory is re-releasing MST3K Volume 1, pulling the rug out from under dealers commanding high prices for the long out of print Rhino version of Volume 1.

Release date: September 1, 2015. Can be pre-ordered at the Shout website or Amazon. About $35.

Shout! Factory Press release:

Mystery Science Theatre 3000: Vol. 1
    Experience the Riffs Again for the First Time
    September 1st, 2015 from Shout! Factory

Experiencing déjà vu? Do not adjust your TV set (or tablet or phone), because it’s true: behold, again, the first collection of episodes of the beloved TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000 with Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume 1.

Since we at Shout! Factory believe that no one should have to sell an organ to afford an out-of print DVD of their favorite show, we’ve gathered all four episodes: Catalina Caper, The Creeping Terror, Bloodlust and The Skydivers, along with their respective theatrical trailers; restored the missing little details from the original broadcast versions and added brand new bonus features including The Crown Jewels, a featurette on Crown International Pictures, The Creeping Terror trailer, an extended trailer for The Creep Behind the Camera and
The Creep Behind the Camera Q&A with Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu at Screamfest 2014.

On September 1st, 2015, experience the adventures of Joel, Mike and their robot sidekicks Tom Servo and Crow on board The Satellite of Love, as they riff their way into your hearts again for the very first time. Fans can pre-order their copy now from ShoutFactory.com

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume 1 brings us Catalina Caper (aka Never Steal Anything Wet) a cinematic party full of fun, sun, bikinis and boats in this 1967 tale of a Southern California island and the teens who party all over it; The Creeping Terror, a 1964 low budget movie about aliens coming to Earth to eat people, analyze their chemistry and send the results to the home planet; Bloodlust, wherein pleasure boating teens land on the island of Dr. Balleau in this powerfully limp re-imagining of The Most Dangerous Game; and The Skydivers, a this tale of murder, infidelity and coffee at an airfield in a small desert town.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume 1 Bonus Features
    NEW The Crown Jewels featurette
    NEW The Creeping Terror trailer
    NEW Extended trailer for The Creep Behind the Camera
    NEW The Creep Behind the Camera Q&A with Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu at Screamfest 2014
    Theatrical trailers for Catalina Caper, Bloodlust and The Skydivers

https://www.shoutfactory.com/

ItsOver

Just a heads-up.  The Riffing of "Sharknado 2" is this Thursday.  The Riffing of "Sharknado" was the best of last year's efforts.

http://fathomevents.com/event/rifftrax-live-sharknado-2-the-second-one

From the Facebook page of Jackey Raye Neyman Jones, the actress who played little Debbie in Manos, The Hands of Fate and her dad, “The Master,” Tom Neyman!

Holy Torgo!

At Comic-Con on Saturday, July 11 2015, Shout!Factory announced the next 4 DVD box set of previously unreleased Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes:

episode 317- VIKING WOMEN VS. THE SEA SERPENT
with short: THE HOME ECONOMICS STORY

episode 319- WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST
with short: MR. B. NATURAL

episode 806- THE UNDEAD

episode 808- THE SHE CREATURE

All four featured films are from the Arkoff Estate.

Not too long ago, any MST3K episode whose subject film happened to be licensed by the Arkoff Estate was considered "extremely unlikely" to ever see DVD release.

Breaking the Arkoff wall isn't ~quite~ as monumental as reaching Pluto, but it's up there as far as legal maneuverings in the murky world of copyrights and licenses.

The next seemingly impossible membrane to penetrate will be all those films owned by Susan Hart.

God help us.

Of course, all MST3K episodes can be found right now, in poorer quality, by various means - some legal, others more bouncy box.

In the Kingdom of MST3K, this is ENORMOUS news. 

Via Kickstarter, Joel needs at minimum, two million dollars, by December 12, 2015.

In about a day, he has received $1,156,000.

I think reaching two million is a given.

The two million will guarantee 3 new full length episodes.

Each additional 1.1 million will generate another 3 episodes, up to a full season of 12 episodes if 5.5 million is raised.

Oh, by the way, Shout! Factory has acquired the rights to Mystery Science Theater 3000.

(Where have you been? Everything you knew is now wrong.)

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/mystery-science-theater-3000-shout-factory-new-season-1201637585/

Never thought you'd see the KTMA episodes in Shout boxed sets?

That situation may change.

I should have known something in the universe was going down, when last weekend while surfing OTA television, I saw an MST3K episode playing on the local PBS station in the late night hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

http://www.bringbackmst3k.com/

It's a great time to be alive - if you're living on a Satellite of Love.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 11, 2015, 07:13:02 PM

Via Kickstarter, Joel needs at minimum, two million dollars, by December 12, 2015.

In about a day, they've received $1,156,000.

Each additional 1.1 million will generate another 3 episodes, up to a full season of 12 episodes if 5.5 million is raised.

Oh,  by the way, Shout! Factory has acquired Mystery Science Theater 3000.

(Where have you been? Everything you knew was wrong.)

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/mystery-science-theater-3000-shout-factory-new-season-1201637585/

I should have known something in the universe was going down, when last weekend while surfing OTA television, I saw an MST3K episode playing on the local PBS station in the late night hours.

Cam, this news makes me as happy as a little girl!  Last I heard, possibly from a link you posted, Joel was trying to resurrect the show with an all new SoL crew.  This is beyond anything I ever dared hope for!  I just hope I get the references, because my pop culture IQ is in single digits these days.  On my way to borrow Dad's credit card right now. 

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 11, 2015, 07:23:10 PM
Cam, this news makes me as happy as a little girl!  Last I heard, possibly from a link you posted, Joel was trying to resurrect the show with an all new SoL crew.  This is beyond anything I ever dared hope for!  I just hope I get the references, because my pop culture IQ is in single digits these days.  On my way to borrow Dad's credit card right now.

You ever had that feeling that the universe you woke to is not the same as the one you went to sleep in the night prior?†††

I wouldn't be surprised if he raises the whole 5.5M and we get a full dozen, but worse case, I am confident it will achieve the 2M threshold and we will get the three new episodes.

With Joel at the controls, I have a lot of faith in the project.

This last time I was this excited was when I heard that Twin Peaks is returning in 2016.

†††The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. Le Guinn

This IS big news! Joel's Project Statement is LONG...and funny.  His descriptions of the "Experiments" (donor rewards) ribboning down the right side of the screen are hilarious on their own.  I'm impressed by Joel's slick, yet still irreverent, pitch.  I've never seen anything like it.  Well, I don't read a lot of Kickstarter stuff, but still.  I can't believe the pace at which Donors are signing up.  They'll probably exceed 2mil by midnight tonight (Los Angeles time). 

The only wistful sad thing is that Mike, Kevin and Bill will not be participating in this MST3K revival.

But hell, Joel Hodgson created MST3k; it's his baby to burn or let fly.  Whatever.
(I'm excited.  I want the tshirt!)

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 11, 2015, 07:13:02 PM

In about a day, he has received $1,156,000.

Oh, by the way, Shout! Factory has acquired the rights to Mystery Science Theater 3000.

(Where have you been? Everything you knew is now wrong.)

/faints

ItsOver

Quote from: Étouffée on November 11, 2015, 08:23:10 PM
This IS big news! Joel's Project Statement is LONG...and funny.  His descriptions of the "Experiments" (donor rewards) ribboning down the right side of the screen are hilarious on their own.  I'm impressed by Joel's slick, yet still irreverent, pitch.  I've never seen anything like it.  Well, I don't read a lot of Kickstarter stuff, but still.  I can't believe the pace at which Donors are signing up.  They'll probably exceed 2mil by midnight tonight (Los Angeles time). 

The only wistful sad thing is that Mike, Kevin and Bill will not be participating in this MST3K revival.

But hell, Joel Hodgson created MST3k; it's his baby to burn or let fly.  Whatever.
(I'm excited.  I want the tshirt!)
Great news.  I wonder if the success of RiffTrax got Joel's attention.  Kevin Murphy will be hard to replace as Servo.  Murphy walks the line perfectly between humorous, witty remarks and being a jerk smartass. 

Quote from: ItsOver on November 11, 2015, 09:01:18 PM
Great news.  I wonder if the success of RiffTrax got Joel's attention.  Kevin Murphy will be hard to replace as Servo.  Murphy walks the line perfectly between humorous, witty remarks and being a jerk smartass.
yes, Kevin Murphy's Servo was and always will be my favorite MST character.

coaster

My favorite character was Mike. Just a likable guy with a good sense of humor. Joel was too dry. Still exciting news.

ItsOver

Quote from: coaster on November 11, 2015, 10:12:01 PM
My favorite character was Mike. Just a likable guy with a good sense of humor. Joel was too dry. Still exciting news.
Mike really grew on me through the series.  He's still quite good with RiffTrax.  Their last live show, "Miami Connection," was good for some laughs.

Of course, you've got to love and respect Joel, but I believe Mike was the better host. 
Look at us with this embarrassment of riches, what with Art, XFiles, and now possibly MST3k.  If only Rod Serling could be resurrected.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Étouffée on November 11, 2015, 10:35:28 PM
Of course, you've got to love and respect Joel, but I believe Mike was the better host. 
Look at us with this embarrassment of riches, what with Art, XFiles, and now possibly MST3k.  If only Rod Serling could be resurrected.

Yeah, it has really been a great year with all these loved shows coming back. I think Mike's humor and references were understood by more people. I love them both, Joel more though. At least this is an argument about who is the best of two great comedians. At least they didn't hire a Noory to replace Joel.

coaster

You are so right.

ItsOver

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 11, 2015, 11:00:39 PM
Yeah, it has really been a great year with all these loved shows coming back. I think Mike's humor and references were understood by more people. I love them both, Joel more though. At least this is an argument about who is the best of two great comedians. At least they didn't hire a Noory to replace Joel.
Astounding, isn't it.  PremRat, with all their resources, sure did a great job of screwing that up.
Thank yewwww, yew bastards!

Roswells, Art

Quote from: ItsOver on November 11, 2015, 11:05:31 PM
Astounding, isn't it.  PremRat, with all their resources, sure did a great job of screwing that up.
Thank yewwww, yew bastards!

Yeah, I don't want to stink up this thread with Noory talk but I have come to the conclusion they hired and kept him to keep listeners ignorant.

and yes, it is astounding

Roswells, Art

Thinking about it, I didn't really like the skits they had in the final three seasons. Something like Kevin Murphy in a gorilla costume named Bobo in some sort of dungeon.  That was pretty awful in comparison.

This is just my opinion, but what I think makes revitalizing certain older projects so great is when you have the original source(s) involved.  It makes them better than the less exciting Hollywood mindset of recycling.  Maybe it's a combination of the nostalgia and the quality:

For a show like Art Bell's to come back: Art Bell.
For Twin Peaks: David Lynch and earlier characters.
For MST3K: Joel or Mike at the helm, earlier writers and the bots (in form, if not vocally.)
For STAR WARS: Lucas and earlier characters.
For Phantasm: Coscarelli and earlier characters. Though I am clueless as to when part five is being released.

Examining the settings and music of each "story" also reveals much. That feeling of déjà vu and/or time travel is inescapable.

I can only imagine what the already good Bates Motel would be like if Hitch was around and involved. In some scenes, it feels like he is, and that, I believe, is directly due to the setting and music.

Let the world end some other time.  We've got this window to mine.

Look at us with this embarrassment of riches, what with Art, XFiles, and now possibly MST3k.

I neglected to mention The X-Files in my previous post, which is undeniably another biggie using original sources that is sure to be a hit with fans.