• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: whytide on December 16, 2015, 11:46:28 PM
What kind of "troll" slices someone's Internet wires?
A troll driving a Comcast truck?

phrodo

Quote from: whytide on December 16, 2015, 11:46:28 PM
What kind of "troll" slices someone's Internet wires?

I was using the word troll as a simile|metaphor.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: trostol on December 16, 2015, 11:40:14 PM
see this is why we cant have nice things and Skynet kills us

I think it's my AI Art Bell broadcasting robot that gets us first now. I think we altered the timeline or something. So confusing, time travel. At least we won't survive long enough now for Dave to reincarnate as Dexter Monterrey.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 16, 2015, 10:25:08 PM
They think that Bellgab is perpetrating a big conspiracy to replace RCH's show with Bellahaven. I'm not lying. I think they'll be a little pissed tonight at RCH though, he's phoning it in with a replay for the second time this week presumably because mmmKay couldn't find any guests to book yet again.

Maybe he's fighting off snipers

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 17, 2015, 12:07:13 AM
Maybe he's fighting off snipers

Richard's stalker is one of the biggest douches I've ever run across. He showed up here for a little while and text walled until MV booted him. He thinks that he found a code in Richard's Mars images and that Hoagland is a Russian agent keeping the "code" from going public or some shit like that. I can think of no bigger waste of a life than being Richard Hoagland's stalker.

He called in. Unfortunately Richard disconnected himself from the show instead of the stalker. Then the guy called back later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12kuYOQfK8

norland2424

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 17, 2015, 12:13:11 AM
Richard's stalker is one of the biggest douches I've ever run across. He showed up here for a little while and text walled until MV booted him. He thinks that he found a code in Richard's Mars images and that Hoagland is a Russian agent keeping the "code" from going public or some shit like that. I can think of no bigger waste of a life than being Richard Hoagland's stalker.

He called in. Unfortunately Richard disconnected himself from the show instead of the stalker. Then the guy called back later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12kuYOQfK8

lol oh yea you did end up fighting with him

whytide

Quote from: phrodo on December 16, 2015, 11:55:18 PM
I was using the word troll as a simile|metaphor.

Yes. Does the cutting of Art Bell's Internet lines fit with the theory that the person is "all talk", harmless ("a troll")? Maybe it does, actually. But if the person knows Art Bell is Art Bell, and cut the Internet lines specifically to prevent him from going on the air (successfully, that night), that doesn't seem harmless.

A lot of people speculate on what has not been told. Is the stalker demanding money? Why the threatening phone call? What does the stalker get from it?

phrodo

Quote from: whytide on December 17, 2015, 12:37:09 AM
Yes. Does the cutting of Art Bell's Internet lines fit with the theory that the person is "all talk", harmless ("a troll")? Maybe it does, actually. But if the person knows Art Bell is Art Bell, and cut the Internet lines specifically to prevent him from going on the air (successfully, that night), that doesn't seem harmless.

A lot of people speculate on what has not been told. Is the stalker demanding money? Why the threatening phone call? What does the stalker get from it?

Sure hope I don't have to explain the difference between interrupting an internet connection and killing somebody.

The phone call was merely a plot-point to establish the stalker's 'criteria for submission'. That stalker - ONE PERSON - has won so far. That ONE crazy asshole's twisted demands are depriving many thousands of Art Bell fans the world-over of his shows and is keeping Art from doing what he loves, while holing-up/hiding in his home with those he loves most. And that TRULY sucks. 

As for what the stalker gets from it? ... What do trolls/Davebots here seek? Attention? Ill will toward Art and his fans? Likely. Yep.

paladin1991

Quote from: Art Bell on December 16, 2015, 07:56:49 PM
This person may never be caught unless I catch him and hold him at gunpoint till the cops get here, or I think far less likely one of the random Police patrols gets him. I have chewed this over from a million angles and it still comes down to most likely a crazy person because you have got to be crazy to fire shots at the end of a dead end road.

I will say I reacted emotionally when my Wife said she had had enough but that's life I guess and of course I miss it. I could have said I would just take a break till we get this resolved but I said what I said and you can't take words back.

I have said that if time passes without incident I might do a show every now and then to give Heather a night off but will do so unannounced.

I am going to remain a Bell Gabber.

Art

No.  You can't take words back.  But you can explain or clarify your position.  "I will say I reacted emotionally..."  Sounds to me like you did explain or clarify.  So these assholes who gleefully run around BellGab talking shit and quit drama won't accept it.  Fuck 'em.  To me, that means that your situation could change for the better and should it change, that you could return..  Great.  Let's hope it's sooner than later.  Broadcast when you feel it's 'safe' or the threat factor has lessened to an acceptable degree.  Pick up more days as you feel comfortable with.  I'm paying to hear you.
The question I have is, 'What about your radio affiliates?'  Are they pretty much fucked?  That's a lot of listeners that just got gaffed off.

paladin1991

Quote from: akwilly on December 16, 2015, 08:13:16 PM
Hey Art, why don't you call into the Gabcast on Friday. Falkie will be co hosting and I think it would be nice for us to speak to you.

What?  Felchie?  I AM CALLING IN.

https://youtu.be/icCmo2p6w8g

i have been listening to art bell since 1993  through all the incarnations and was so happy with this return -am very sad these days because i feel art has an important voice in this world.

want to  say to everyone coming here has helped a great deal to relieve the loss here  and has been amazing to read all the comments and feelings of good bad and ugly about this issue . I have laughed out loud and  I have faith more of art will be coming our way.     keeping my fingers crossed   

phrodo

Quote from: paladin1991 on December 17, 2015, 01:20:31 AM
No.  You can't take words back.  But you can explain or clarify your position.  "I will say I reacted emotionally..."  Sounds to me like you did explain or clarify.  So these assholes who gleefully run around BellGab talking shit and quit drama won't accept it.  Fuck 'em.  To me, that means that your situation could change for the better and should it change, that you could return..  Great.  Let's hope it's sooner than later.  Broadcast when you feel it's 'safe' or the threat factor has lessened to an acceptable degree.  Pick up more days as you feel comfortable with.  I'm paying to hear you.
The question I have is, 'What about your radio affiliates?'  Are they pretty much fucked?  That's a lot of listeners that just got gaffed off.

I agree with all that except the bolded part about the stations. Stations have never PAID anything to carry Art's shows -- they get a few (very few in this case) commercial insertions that they can sell. Art and Keith started DMDN as an alternative to conventional radio. Art said several times something to the effect that 'everybody has a radio in their pocket -- a phone' or something like that. So why all the spazz about radio stations dropping? 

On the other hand -- Art has multiple-thousands dollars to lose as does Keith -- and a few others connected to DMDN.

Art's 'so-called-fans' that bail lose nothing. And his genuine fans that continue to support him lose nothing. Everyone could always listen for free streaming.   

So if you want Art back -- support him instead of ... well .. you know. Not.

Art Bell

The key words are I don't know. I don't know if the stalker was just trying to scare me or really hurt me, I don't know if the stalker would have moved to hurt me or my Family if scaring me failed to achieve whatever the goal was/is. I don't know if the threat is still there or leaving the air was the goal. I don't know if the Stalker will ever be caught (maybe if he brags to somebody) I don't know if it's over or if I ever will know unless he is stupid enough to come back again. I don't know who is in every car that drives up. (Many do just to stop out front and take pictures). That's a lot to not know and sleep well which I am not.

People who are not facing it say you have to have balls and not let the Terrorist's win until it's them or their Family's. However you might note that almost all the Hostage's Family's try and raise the money to get their loved ones back despite the Gov't policy of not dealing with them.

This stalker seemed to clearly be escalating his actions, I don't know what would or will come next. So much not to know.

Art

Ciardelo

Quote from: Art Bell on December 17, 2015, 02:00:45 AM
The key words are I don't know. I don't know if the stalker was just trying to scare me or really hurt me, I don't know if the stalker would have moved to hurt me or my Family if scaring me failed to achieve whatever the goal was/is. I don't know if the threat is still there or leaving the air was the goal. I don't know if the Stalker will ever be caught (maybe if he brags to somebody) I don't know if it's over or if I ever will know unless he is stupid enough to come back again. I don't know who is in every car that drives up. (Many do just to stop out front and take pictures). That's a lot to not know and sleep well which I am not.

People who are not facing it say you have to have balls and not let the Terrorist's win until it's them or their Family's. However you might note that almost all the Hostage's Family's try and raise the money to get their loved ones back despite the Gov't policy of not dealing with them.

This stalker seemed to clearly be escalating his actions, I don't know what would or will come next. So much not to know.

Art
eh. Stay safe Art. Keep your family safe. We'll get by and as you say, you'll still be a BellGabber :)

phrodo

Art

I understand your position Art. But truly if it were me -- I would not hunker down if I had the means at your disposal to do otherwise while continuing what you love to do. Hire|increase security. Take the family on a working vacation -- or just a vacation. Vail? Cozumel? Hawaii? Take your pick. Just choose somewhere with a broadband connection to Keith so you can do the show.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: phrodo on December 17, 2015, 01:07:32 AM
Sure hope I don't have to explain the difference between interrupting an internet connection and killing somebody.

The phone call was merely a plot-point to establish the stalker's 'criteria for submission'. That stalker - ONE PERSON - has won so far. That ONE crazy asshole's twisted demands are depriving many thousands of Art Bell fans the world-over of his shows and is keeping Art from doing what he loves, while holing-up/hiding in his home with those he loves most. And that TRULY sucks. 

As for what the stalker gets from it? ... What do trolls/Davebots here seek? Attention? Ill will toward Art and his fans? Likely. Yep.

Hey all, can we stop referring to Mr. or Ms. Asshole as the stalker? Way too dramatic. Talk about giving people more power than they've done anything to deserve.

We have zero solid information about this person's identity, what they've done or their motives. We have only one primary source and maybe a couple of secondary sources, and they can only corroborate some of what little the primary has said. Eyewitness testimony is sketchy, physical evidence is absent. The police have, some here say, closed the case and may cruise by the premises occasionally, maybe mainly as a courtesy.

The discussion and speculation here is grasping at straws. I get that there's concern over this troublemaker (the term I'll use) but it's getting old fast. The most shocking and dramatic part of this whole episode, so far, is not what the troublemaker may have said or done, but the way Art and the rest of this Internet radio enterprise has reacted.

I replied directly to Art's last post because it seems like he ought to think things through more thoroughly than he has. We now have about three weeks left in what's become, in my opinion, a pretty boring, uninteresting, third-rate radio show (and I'm being kind). The clock is ticking and it's not the troublemaker's move, it's Art's move.

Art
wow   i still say to you   i feel you HAVE an important voice in this world. and this world NEEDS your voice ..   I have been doing a radio show on WBAI in NYC for 25 years  would love to have you on this Monday night  my show is midnight to 3 am      would love  just to do GREAT radio with you    no prep  we just go  i feel you I'm with you  - you make a difference   that being said  theres always a way   you have said this many times ...       

Ciardelo

Quote from: Value Of Pi on December 17, 2015, 02:11:26 AM
Hey all, can we stop referring to Mr. or Ms. Asshole as the stalker? Way too dramatic. Talk about giving people more power than they've done anything to deserve.

We have zero solid information about this person's identity, what they've done or their motives. We have only one primary source and maybe a couple of secondary sources, and they can only corroborate some of what little the primary has said. Eyewitness testimony is sketchy, physical evidence is absent. The police have, some here say, closed the case and may cruise by the premises occasionally, maybe mainly as a courtesy.

The discussion and speculation here is grasping at straws. I get that there's concern over this troublemaker (the term I'll use) but it's getting old fast. The most shocking and dramatic part of this whole episode, so far, is not what the troublemaker may have said or done, but the way Art and the rest of this Internet radio enterprise has reacted.

I replied directly to Art's last post because it seems like he ought to think things through more thoroughly than he has. We now have about three weeks left in what's become, in my opinion, a pretty boring, uninteresting, third-rate radio show (and I'm being kind). The clock is ticking and it's not the troublemaker's move, it's Art's move.
good for you. look up.

Art

Situational awareness, keep your family safe, firearms accessible at a moments notice, and some kind of hand to hand weapon on your person. Fishing line is almost invisible. String that around your parameter, and make sure it's attached to something that makes a lot of noise. Rudimentary, but effecive... I'm not joking. It works. Windows, doors, stairways, what have you.

Quote from: Shalom! on December 17, 2015, 02:24:46 AM
a minefield would work too, coupled with an Art Bell scarecrow on wheels to fool the shooter.

Shotgun and a dog. I know Art's a cat person.

paladin1991

Art
"I don't know....I don't know...I don't know..."  Yeah.  I get that.  And as I have said before.   Family first.  You can't know, and won't know, until it's upon you.  And that's a shitty way to live. 

"...have balls and not let the terrorists win..."  I'm with you.  It's not their family at risk.  Fuck 'em. 

There is too much that is unknown.  Stay safe and keep the women folk safe.  As I have also said before, the engines still warm, I call shotgun.   

paladin1991

Quote from: phrodo on December 17, 2015, 01:51:08 AM
I agree with all that except the bolded part about the stations. Stations have never PAID anything to carry Art's shows -- they get a few (very few in this case) commercial insertions that they can sell. Art and Keith started DMDN as an alternative to conventional radio. Art said several times something to the effect that 'everybody has a radio in their pocket -- a phone' or something like that. So why all the spazz about radio stations dropping? 

On the other hand -- Art has multiple-thousands dollars to lose as does Keith -- and a few others connected to DMDN.

Art's 'so-called-fans' that bail lose nothing. And his genuine fans that continue to support him lose nothing. Everyone could always listen for free streaming.   

So if you want Art back -- support him instead of ... well .. you know. Not.

Oh, I support ART.  No doubt.  I think you are misreading the intent of my post. 

As to 'spazz' about radio stations.  I guess you know exactly the whats, the hows, the whens, etc. of  ART's radio contracts.   I don't know jack about them and was looking towards a bit of clarity. If there were any to be offered. And not that I'm owed any explanation.   But I figure there are contracts,nobody does business on a handshake, right?  I haven't a clue about ART's contracts.  Glad you know all the fucking details and cleared it right the fuck up for me.

Value Of Pi

Art, it's good to hear you say repeatedly that you don't know -- as opposed to, say, someone must really be out to get me. Not so good to hear that you're not sleeping well.

I can't help but wonder if passivity and withdrawal could be a bigger threat to your well-being than anything this troublemaker would ever actually do. Giving in to any form of intimidation can be a demoralizing experience. I know you get this.

zeebo

The key words are I don't know. I don't know if the stalker was just trying to scare me or really hurt me, I don't know if the stalker would have moved to hurt me or my Family if scaring me failed to achieve whatever the goal was/is. I don't know if the threat is still there or leaving the air was the goal. I don't know if the Stalker will ever be caught (maybe if he brags to somebody) I don't know if it's over or if I ever will know unless he is stupid enough to come back again. I don't know who is in every car that drives up. (Many do just to stop out front and take pictures). That's a lot to not know and sleep well which I am not....

Art I feel for you.  Jeez that just really really sucks.  I hope through either some answers and/or better security you & the family can get some peace.

Please ignore those who doubt the seriousness and/or reality of the situation - it's obvious to me from your tone that this is truly weighing on you.  Take care and be safe - hope you can get some sleep man.

Robert

Quote from: Art Bell on December 16, 2015, 07:56:49 PMThis person may never be caught unless I catch him and hold him at gunpoint till the cops get here, or I think far less likely one of the random Police patrols gets him. I have chewed this over from a million angles and it still comes down to most likely a crazy person because you have got to be crazy to fire shots at the end of a dead end road.

I will say I reacted emotionally when my Wife said she had had enough but that's life I guess and of course I miss it. I could have said I would just take a break till we get this resolved but I said what I said and you can't take words back.

I have said that if time passes without incident I might do a show every now and then to give Heather a night off but will do so unannounced.
Is the studio going to grow cobwebs, whether you use it for MITD, amateur radio, or guest house?  From your reports, that does seem to be the focus of this person.  My specul'n has been that it has nothing to do w the content of your shows, but that some nut thinks your, or anybody's, use of that facility is physically damaging to his perceived interests -- like it's beaming into his brain, or interfering with his garage doors, or whatever.  Do you have any reason to believe some other motiv'n is at work?

Ciardelo

Quote from: Robert on December 17, 2015, 02:43:24 AM
Is the studio going to grow cobwebs, whether you use it for MITD, amateur radio, or guest house?  From your reports, that does seem to be the focus of this person.  My specul'n has been that it has nothing to do w the content of your shows, but that some nut thinks your, or anybody's, use of that facility is physically damaging to his perceived interests -- like it's beaming into his brain, or interfering with his garage doors, or whatever.  Do you have any reason to believe some other motiv'n is at work?
You strike me as an expert on things beaming into your brain. Perhaps you can expand upon your thoughts?

Would you then please publish them somewhere not BellGab? Thank you ever so much. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Robert

Quote from: Soylentblue on December 16, 2015, 08:02:16 PMOh you and I and everyone who has listened to you in the past knows that you will be back.
I wouldn't be so sure.  Elsewhere on BellGab, a ham active on 80 & 160m said he hadn't heard Art there in a long time.  So maybe Art's lost the radio "bug".  He sure still delivered the goods on MITD, but maybe going to extraordinary lengths (which might involve changing QTH) to do any kind of radio safely under these circumstances just isn't worth it.

Racketeering works.  Gangsters threatening businesspersons and/or their places of business have traditionally done pretty well extorting $ from them.  Catch them and it's very hard to prove anything.  They may have perfectly legitimate-seeming reasons to hang around that place of business.  And that's just with criminals with a rational reason to be operating.  In this case, if it's a nut operating under some delusion, there's even less chance of ever eradicating the threat.  It's not as if you could set up some honey pot to trap him, because he's not an extortionist.

phrodo

Quote from: paladin1991 on December 17, 2015, 02:36:32 AM
Oh, I support ART.  No doubt.  I think you are misreading the intent of my post. 

As to 'spazz' about radio stations.  I guess you know exactly the whats, the hows, the whens, etc. of  ART's radio contracts.   I don't know jack about them and was looking towards a bit of clarity. If there were any to be offered. And not that I'm owed any explanation.   But I figure there are contracts,nobody does business on a handshake, right?  I haven't a clue about ART's contracts.  Glad you know all the fucking details and cleared it right the fuck up for me.

It's not been any secret that basically from the beginning of syndicated radio programs -- most all shows are free to carry on what's called a "barter basis". There are a few exclusivity-per-market stipulations but that's about it. The benefit for the Art-ist is that the more stations that carry their product -- the more they get to charge for their commercials that don't/can't get covered up by the local stations' spot availabilities. The benefit for the local station is that if the Art-ist's show is popular enough (ratings) they get to charge more for spots than they could otherwise if they carried a less popular show (Dave).

Didn't mean to piss you off.