• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rachel Maddow

Started by haloedorchid, March 18, 2011, 06:23:52 PM

haloedorchid

I'm not sure if she still has her radio show, but I liked it the couple of times I listened. On the local station here, her show always played at odd times so it was easy to miss. I liked her style, though, and she has a fantastic speaking voice.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: haloedorchid on March 18, 2011, 06:23:52 PM
I'm not sure if she still has her radio show, but I liked it the couple of times I listened. On the local station here, her show always played at odd times so it was easy to miss. I liked her style, though, and she has a fantastic speaking voice.

I agree.  Smart and opinionated.  But, that's what we like about out talk show hosts.

JeffreyLXV

Did you ever find a radio show for Maddow?  If so please link here... :)

Her show on MSNBC is great...

Lunger

Even if I agreed with her politically, I would want to punch her in the head.  I just can't stand that smug bitch.

I can't see how anyone can call her 'Smart'.  She is just another puppet on a string....

onan

Quote from: Lunger on April 20, 2011, 07:38:38 AM
Even if I agreed with her politically, I would want to punch her in the head.  I just can't stand that smug bitch.

I can't see how anyone can call her 'Smart'.  She is just another puppet on a string....

Really a puppet? She has a Ph. D. in journalism. I find her smugness appropriate for the misinformation that seems to flow so freely from the likes of everything from fox news. Well maybe their chairs are neutral.

And of course shes a bitch because you disagree with her... lovely social skills.

I do not listen to Maddow more than (at most) 2 times a month. I have heard her get a story wrong but never heard the machinations of strings being pulled.

MV/Liberace!

i fail to see how someone believing rachel maddow is a bitch is indicative of a lack of social skills.

Usagi

I agree with 96% of what she says and I still think she's a bitch.  But I do lack social skills...

haloedorchid

Quote from: JeffreyLXV on April 20, 2011, 01:28:47 AM
Did you ever find a radio show for Maddow?  If so please link here... :)

Her show on MSNBC is great...

According to Wikipedia, programming of her radio show ceased on January 21, 2010 due to economic difficulties. Damn!

Her MSNBC show is available as a podcast on iTunes, though, if you aren't able to watch it.

I disagree with 96% of what she says, but I think she's got a great show and I like watching her.

Lunger

Quote from: onan on April 20, 2011, 08:01:26 AM

Really a puppet? She has a Ph. D. in journalism. ....

This guy also went to to college:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A partisan hack is a partisan hack is a puppet on a string.  And Maddow is nothing if not a partisan hack.

No matter if you are on the Left or on the Right, you are on the wrong side.

Eddie Coyle

I find her to have such a rebarbative personality, much like Bill Maher, that I feel uneasy about agreeing with them. Off the charts smarm and arrogance, very off-putting.

There's a way to have smarm and arrogance, but be entertaining in doing so. Christopher Hitchens represents this,IMO, I don't always agree with him, but find him to be a great interview subject. He won my respect for flipping off the barking seals in Bill Maher's audience...and he sounds like Herb Sewell.

onan

Quote from: Michael V. on April 20, 2011, 08:41:54 AM
i fail to see how someone believing Rachel maddow is a bitch is indicative of a lack of social skills.

I suppose its a combination of "want to punch her in the head" and a bit of kneejerk reaction.

Please tell me how she compares to those that make a point of challenging anyone's patriotism (really would like a specific definition of that term). Tell me how she compares to the misinformation of the likes of limbaugh, hannity, liddy, and others. I just find it off putting that some because of different ideologies think her to be a bitch.

As to the comment of noory also attending college... how intellectually dishonest can you get? A simple smattering of dialogues by the two will reveal mountains. Granted a college degree does not guarantee intelligence but do you really think Maddow is the same camp as noory. Do you also believe that a college degree especially at a doctorate level has no merit?

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 20, 2011, 03:27:00 PM

I find her to have such a rebarbative personality, much like Bill Maher, that I feel uneasy about agreeing with them. Off the charts smarm and arrogance, very off-putting.

There's a way to have smarm and arrogance, but be entertaining in doing so. Christopher Hitchens represents this,IMO, I don't always agree with him, but find him to be a great interview subject. He won my respect for flipping off the barking seals in Bill Maher's audience...and he sounds like Herb Sewell.

I really respect Hitchens, often I disagree with him especially on his position on the Iraq war. Brillaint though he is and I really like that he rarely uses talking points but rathers explains his point with facts and logical assumptions. I felt the same way about William F. Buckley.

Finding Maddow and Maher rebarbitive may say more about invested beliefs than it does about factual presentation.

Usagi

Quote from: onan on April 20, 2011, 04:10:44 PM

I As to the comment of noory also attending college... how intellectually dishonest can you get?

For real... Maddow was a Rhodes Scholar.  Noory majored in broadcast journalism at the University of Detroit.  Do we even know whether or not he even got his B.A.?

It's ridiculous to even compare them.  Even if I think Maddow is an insufferable bitch.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on April 20, 2011, 04:19:31 PM

Finding Maddow and Maher rebarbitive may say more about invested beliefs than it does about factual presentation.

Nope, my dislike of them comes from their supercilious,haughty demeanor. For instance, I agree with Maher maybe 2/3 of the time...but he's utterly devoid of humility. Maddow comes across as a snarky hipster and not surprsingly, highly intolerant of dissenting views. The "preachers of tolerance" really seem to HATE those who don't agree with them. She also is frighteningly condescending.

Erin Maas

Quote from: Lunger on April 20, 2011, 07:38:38 AM

Just cuz da bitch is smug don't mean da bitch ain't right.

Fly By Night

QuoteMaddow comes across as a snarky hipster and not surprsingly, highly intolerant of dissenting views. The "preachers of tolerance" really seem to HATE those who don't agree with them. She also is frighteningly consedcending

Ding ding we have a winner. Bullseye

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on April 20, 2011, 04:10:44 PM
Please tell me how she compares to those that make a point of challenging anyone's patriotism (really would like a specific definition of that term).
when did it suddenly become unacceptable to challenge anyone's patriotism?  i'd like to know when this became sacred ground and why i wasn't at the meeting.  the outrage expressed by some when patriotism is questioned seems to be a new phenomenon, and i fail to understand how it's always off the table as an issue of discussion.  the fact is, some american citizens have an invariable, consistent, predictable tendency to blame the united states for every problem faced by the world, regardless of reality.  i don't think they're patriots.  i've grown fatigued by 25 years of listening to aging pseudo intellectuals incessantly prattle on about why my country sucks, how guilty we are, and how uneducated i am for not agreeing WITH THEM.  talk about arrogance... and then they have the balls to demand their patriotism not be questioned in the whole process.  what assholes.  some people ARE anti american, and i'm happy to see them called on it.

Tell me how she compares to the misinformation of the likes of limbaugh, hannity, liddy, and others.
i think it would be an exercise in futility to even begin trying to answer this question.

I just find it off putting that some because of different ideologies think her to be a bitch.
was it you or someone else who, a few weeks ago, suggested you'd like to see conservative talk radio hosts burn in hell?  and what was that for if not their ideology, which happens not to coincide with what you believe?  talk about off putting... and disproportionate.

Do you also believe that a college degree especially at a doctorate level has no merit?
i don't think it's without merit, but i also don't think it shields her from criticism or renders her opinion of greater weight than mine or anyone else's.  i'll take her political opinions one at a time, and when they blow goat, i'll place them in the "goat blowing" pile along with the others.  however, placement in the "goat blowing" pile will not be contingent upon a peek at her degree.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 20, 2011, 06:34:29 PM
     Nope, my dislike of them comes from their supercilious,haughty demeanor. For instance, I agree with Maher maybe 2/3 of the time...but he's utterly devoid of humility. Maddow comes across as a snarky hipster and not surprsingly, highly intolerant of dissenting views. The "preachers of tolerance" really seem to HATE those who don't agree with them. She also is frighteningly consedcending.
i wish i'd been the one to articulate this.

onan

Quote from: Michael V. on April 20, 2011, 08:49:59 PM
when did it suddenly become unacceptable to challenge anyone's patriotism?  i'd like to know when this became sacred ground and why i wasn't at the meeting.  the outrage expressed by some when patriotism is questioned seems to be a new phenomenon, and i fail to understand how it's always off the table as an issue of discussion.  the fact is, some american citizens have an invariable, consistent, predictable tendency to blame the united states for every problem faced by the world, regardless of reality.  i don't think they're patriots.  i've grown fatigued by 25 years of listening to aging pseudo intellectuals incessantly prattle on about why my country sucks, how guilty we are, and how uneducated i am for not agreeing WITH THEM.  talk about arrogance... and then they have the balls to demand their patriotism not be questioned in the whole process.  what assholes.  some people ARE anti american, and i'm happy to see them called on it.
I suppose some people are anti-american. I also suppose most that are labeled that really are not. I have yet to see a good definition of what patriotism is. I served my country in the Army for 3 years, volunteered to go to Viet Nam. I pay my taxes, vote in every election, and stay informed in both local and national politics. I really try to see both sides of arguments before offering my opinion. How many here can say as much. I also see many things the USA has done with what can only be called unscrupulous behavior. So because I see that America is accountable for some nasty shit am I unpatriotic or simply not a fanatic.

(added after original post) I also volunteer with the red cross and give aid any time I can spare. Most of my efforts with the red cross are with victims of local disasters. I also volunteer with local churches offering my time to aid those in emotioanl crisis.

Sorry for the "I must be special" shit but I want to make it clear that I do a lot for my country and my fellow citizens because it is the right thing to do. And I do get real pissed when people toss out insults with no other reason than it disagrees with their particular point of view.

i think it would be an exercise in futility to even begin trying to answer this question.
that may have been my subtle point

was it you or someone else who, a few weeks ago, suggested you'd like to see conservative talk radio hosts burn in hell?  and what was that for if not their ideology, which happens not to coincide with what you believe?  talk about off putting... and disproportionate.
i don't think it's without merit, but i also don't think it shields her from criticism or renders her opinion of greater weight than mine or anyone else's.  i'll take her political opinions one at a time, and when they blow goat, i'll place them in the "goat blowing" pile along with the others.  however, placement in the "goat blowing" pile will not be contingent upon a peek at her degree.
If you look back over my posts you will see I have at times included some liberal names to my screed.
But what I find offensive is someone being bad because of their ideology only. If whoever it was (that called Maddow a bitch) had been personally attacked falsely, bitch it is, but if she is a bitch only because she presents a differing opinion then bitch may be a bit much.

(added after the original post) I too do not weigh all things said as valid because one has a degree in some field, but I do give more credence to one with expertise than I do one without... to do otherwise seems petulant at best and disastrous at worst.

onan

Just to add, I find it interesting that Maddow is being mucked for the very things so many other hosts do and are considered entertaining.

Bell2Gray

I think she is very smart and has good ideas and opinions, sorry cons :(

anagrammy

I like her.  Smart and entertaining, levelheaded and listens intensely.  Invites everyone. 

If you don't like Bill Maher, call him the male term corresponding to bitch.

Right, bastard isn't quite the same is it?

Anagrammy

JeffreyLXV

i've grown fatigued by 25 years of listening to aging pseudo intellectuals incessantly prattle on about why my country sucks, how guilty we are, and how uneducated i am for not agreeing WITH THEM.  talk about arrogance... and then they have the balls to demand their patriotism not be questioned

Heil, mein Fuher!

onan

Quote from: JeffreyLXV on April 21, 2011, 12:57:22 AM

Heil, mein Fuher!

Changing what I said... I think this is funny but feelings may be a bit tense so I want to make it clear that it is meant in jest.

SadieJane

Somtimes, I feel Rachel Maddow is soooo smart.
That is when I agree with her logic on a topic.

However, there are times when Rachel Maddow is clueless, or a puppet,
or has been deceived by those around her.
Obviously, those are the times when we disagree.

I do appreciate her strong opinions.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SadieJane on April 23, 2011, 12:03:51 AM
I do appreciate her strong opinions.
after spending the last couple of hours reading about soviet secret police minister Lavrentiy Beria, i'm just happy we have the right to express our opinions.  we can argue about the content of those opinions later.

Fly By Night

]

people should be allowed to use one nazi quote in their life. Then they can use it only once when the awesome exemplification of evil allows.