• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

In memory of Art Bell - Post about your favorite Art Bell show or memory

Started by paranominal, April 14, 2018, 01:01:04 AM

paranominal

I found Art's show in the 90's like many on this forum. I was going through a rough time, and listening to Coast to Coast AM was a wonderful escape. While I never believed most of what I heard, I was able to put all doubts away for those few hours, and just take a ride. I will be forever grateful for Art and Romona's crazy little radio show in the night.

My favorite show, for whatever reason has always been the phone booth in the desert show. I was instantly intrigued by that story, and you could tell Art was just as fascinated. Of course there were so many other great shows I could list, but please feel free to list yours.

RIP Art Bell. You were one in a zillion.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: paranominal on April 14, 2018, 01:01:04 AM
I found Art's show in the 90's like many on this forum. I was going through a rough time, and listening to Coast to Coast AM was a wonderful escape. While I never believed most of what I heard, I was able to put all doubts away for those few hours, and just take a ride. I will be forever grateful for Art and Romona's crazy little radio show in the night.

My favorite show, for whatever reason has always been the phone booth in the desert show. I was instantly intrigued by that story, and you could tell Art was just as fascinated. Of course there were so many other great shows I could list, but please feel free to list yours.

RIP Art Bell. You were one in a zillion.

That was a good one! I wonder if we'll hear from Mr. Fidget soon?

I think my favorite thing about Art's show was just Art. The man had such an intellect and was so BASED that just going through his evening with him whether it be going through the news, or open lines or interviewing a guest was all interesting. Art could talk intelligently with everything from spiritual gurus to astrophysicists to environmental scientists. Art could go from talking to a world renowned scientist to a guy who had an alien in his fridge.

paranominal

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 14, 2018, 01:15:57 AM
Wasn't that the one you were talking about?

No. The one I was talking about was some guy who would camp out by a phone booth in the middle of the desert, and Art called the phone booth. The guy answered and a wonderful, crazy conversation ensued.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: paranominal on April 14, 2018, 01:23:48 AM
No. The one I was talking about was some guy who would camp out by a phone booth in the middle of the desert, and Art called the phone booth. The guy answered and a wonderful, crazy conversation ensued.

Huh, I must've missed that one. The Mr. Fidget episode took place at a phone booth too.

Sean92008

Meh,

5 days ago, I came back on Bellgab after a long (nearly 1.5 years) layoff.  First thing I posted "Is he dead yet."

I lost a lot of respect for Art Bell as a human (reading what he did to his own kids) and professionally (the events leading to his December 11, 2015 "retirement").

Bringing kids into the world in your 60s and 70s takes a damn narcissist...  Art was that.

I can't wait for the feeding fest.  His autopsy, the will, the intellectual properties...

In honor of the blood no longer circulating in his body, I have changed my red KoolAid man to purple.  Too soon?

Kaiborg

The only time I called C2CAM, Art Bell had crazy Bob Larson on.  I was young, this was probably 97 or so, and I was mad as hell (pun intended).  When I finally got through, by pure accident I mixed up Art and Bob's names, and said something to the effect of "this Art guy is a total idiot"... when Art himself laughed and hung up on me. 

The whole exchange was less than 10 seconds.  I felt like a dumb-ass, and had that "wow, I fucked up royally" feeling for a long while afterwards.   No screeners can be brutal.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kaiborg on April 14, 2018, 01:38:26 AM
The only time I called C2CAM, Art Bell had crazy Bob Larson on.  I was mad as hell (pun intended), and when I got through, by pure accident I mixed up Art and Bob's names, and said something to the effect of "this Art guy is an idiot"... when Art himself laughed and hung up on me.

The whole exchange was less than 10 seconds.  I felt like a dumb-ass, and had that "wow, I fucked up royally" feeling for a long while afterwards.

Never call angry.

ksm32

Super glued lips

Time traveler open lines

Ghost to ghost

Prediction shows

The time when he walked off his porch, when he was having his porch re-done. He fell 5 feet during a break.

Captain crunch interview

Bugs

Area 51 pilot shot down

I can list a lot more.

paranominal

Quote from: Kaiborg on April 14, 2018, 01:38:26 AM
The only time I called C2CAM, Art Bell had crazy Bob Larson on.  I was young, this was probably 97 or so, and I was mad as hell (pun intended).  When I finally got through, by pure accident I mixed up Art and Bob's names, and said something to the effect of "this Art guy is a total idiot"... when Art himself laughed and hung up on me. 

The whole exchange was less than 10 seconds.  I felt like a dumb-ass, and had that "wow, I fucked up royally" feeling for a long while afterwards.   No screeners can be brutal.

Ha! That's a great story. I wonder if that show is on MP3? You could relive it all over again. ;-)

paranominal

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 14, 2018, 01:25:30 AM
Huh, I must've missed that one. The Mr. Fidget episode took place at a phone booth too.

It was this one: 2000-03-07 - Art Bell Urban Myths/Desert Chad Mojave Phone Booth. It used to be on youtube. I'm not sure if it's in the torrent files.

paranominal

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 14, 2018, 01:41:20 AM
Super glued lips

Time traveler open lines

Ghost to ghost

Prediction shows

The time when he walked off his porch, when he was having his porch re-done. He fell 5 feet during a break.

Captain crunch interview

Bugs

Area 51 pilot shot down

I can list a lot more.

I forgot about the Captain crunch interview.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: paranominal on April 14, 2018, 02:01:48 AM
It was this one: 2000-03-07 - Art Bell Urban Myths/Desert Chad Mojave Phone Booth. It used to be on youtube. I'm not sure if it's in the torrent files.

Thanks! I have most of the episodes loaded in iTunes. I'll look for it.

GravitySucks

When he said Ed Dames wouldn’t be on again until he showed up at the gate in his driveway with his gold.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 14, 2018, 02:17:44 AM
When he said Ed Dames wouldn’t be on again until he showed up at the gate in his driveway with his gold.

Kicked to the curb! :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 14, 2018, 02:18:14 AM
Clickbait thread title. When I read this I thought he'd died.

Hilarious. Never stop using that dry British humor. ::)

WOTR

I guess he finally got to decide if the correct answer was to go towards or away from the light.  It was those little thoughts and observations throughout his shows that stick even after all this time.  It was a hell of a ride for a lot of years.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 14, 2018, 02:18:57 AM
Hilarious. Never stop using that dry British humor. ::)

Wasn't joking. Hadn't heard the news and didn't read the whole post.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 14, 2018, 03:03:51 AM
Wasn't joking. Hadn't heard the news and didn't read the whole post.

OK, so you're just an ignorant dickhead then. :D

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 14, 2018, 03:05:23 AM
OK, so you're just an ignorant dickhead then. :D

It's normally wise not to bother reading all the way through a post, as your tedious and repetitive contributions have taught me.

Echo

Does this mean Art won't be coming back on Midnight in The Desert?

One of Art shows i liked was the guy floating in the air on a lawn chair, while talking to his GF on a CB radio.

Rix Gins

Brendan Cook / Barbara McBeath those investigators who taped quick ghost voices.  Art used to get really scared from hearing some of them.  Mel's hole.  Red Elk.  Not in any particular order.  R.I.P. my friend. 

Hells Mole

He would die on a Friday the 13th, wouldn't he?

Art was my favorite interviewer of all time.  I hopped on the C2C train around '95 and every single night until his retirement I was there along with the rest of you experiencing all that mystery and magic.

Never stopped hoping he would come back.  Would have been interesting to have him be a little more towards the political, going full circle to be a much needed voice against the Trump hate.

Gutted.